Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jason

Real Name Jason   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname .Drifter
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 20, 2001, 09:41
Total Comments 462 (Amateur)
User ID 8752

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
31. Re: Op Ed Apr 19, 2011, 20:11 .Drifter

My two cents, regarding the "release early" thing.
With the items and services I've seen that have been "released early," in nearly all instances the "early" was at least 1 day early, frequently more than one day. In no case can I remember, off the top of my head, any other item or service meaning "a few hours early" when they used the word "early."
If this experience that I've had is similar to what others have had, I can see how a number of people could have thought that the "early release" would be meaning more than a few hours. A matter of past experience influencing perception, I guess you could say?
That being said, early is early, I still got a crack at it before I went to bed and had to get up for work today, so I'm satisfied. I'd have even been satisfied if it hadn't unlocked until I got off from work, since that would have meant it hadn't been delayed.

As for the whole topic of being unable to release early due to a legal agreement with retail stores, my thinking on that is this:
What would be keeping Valve from advising the stores ahead of time that they were possibly going to release the game earlier than Tuesday due to a promotion they were running, and that to keep stores advised of the status of the early release they would be setting up a corporate only website, or email service, that would advise brick and mortar stores X number of hours ahead of the early release time that they were releasing the game on X date or at X time?
That would be keeping in the spirit of not releasing online before brick and mortar could, it would have allowed promo to start sooner, and it could have resulted in an even sooner release date. Since the stores would be advised X number of hours ahead of time, they could start selling in store at the same time as the unlock took place, and they wouldn't have anything to complain about.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Street Fighter X Tekken PC Announced
5. Re: Street Fighter X Tekken PC Announced Apr 12, 2011, 13:14 .Drifter

necrosis wrote on Apr 12, 2011, 12:59:
Anonymous wrote on Apr 12, 2011, 12:48:
Street Fighter VS Tekken? Who the fuck cares!
Fighting game on PC? Who the fuck cares!

You apparently did, at least enough to comment.

News Comments > New Crystal Dynamics IP
2. Re: New Crystal Dynamics IP Mar 29, 2011, 21:13 .Drifter

Forget a new IP, bring out another Legacy of Kain game.  

News Comments > Hitman 5 Hints?
18. Re: Hitman 5 Hints? Mar 18, 2011, 04:53 .Drifter

Jerykk wrote on Mar 17, 2011, 04:18:
Eh, the entire movie was bad. There was no need for a love interest and no need for humor. 47 should not be smiling or cracking jokes. He shouldn't be doing kung fu or having sword fights either.

If they do make another Hitman movie, they should forget the first one ever existed and start fresh with a much darker tone that's more faithful to the character.

Apparently the original cut was quite a bit different, but Fox wanted a PG-13 move with more action, so they fired the original director/editor and brought in a new guy to reshoot several scenes, and they ditched the whole clone part of the storline. At least per IMDB.
Personally, I'd like to see the original cut.

News Comments > PC Dead Space 2 Hardcore Fix
8. Re: PC Dead Space 2 Hardcore Fix Feb 10, 2011, 18:37 .Drifter

I doubt it, since I don't think they had any plans to release any DLC for the PC.  

News Comments > Salem Perma-Death Explained
28. Re: Salem Perma-Death Explained Feb 10, 2011, 18:36 .Drifter

Why make a game and tout the "perma death" aspect, if you're going to turn around have the dead character come back as a descendant who just "picks up where your character left off?"
Seriously, sounds just like a standard, non perma death MMO so far, except your character model just changes when you rez, at least where "death" is concerned.
Guess "perma death" looks better as a bullet point and gets more buzz when appealing to a certain demographic though.

News Comments > Space Pirates and Zombies
3. Re: Space Pirates and Zombies Jan 28, 2011, 16:09 .Drifter

Space Ninja's and Zombies.
Even better.

News Comments > Humble Indie Bundle #2 Sells $1M, Now on Steam
34. Re: Humble Indie Bundle #2 Sells $1M, Now on Steam Dec 20, 2010, 19:35 .Drifter

I've been charged as much for a buffet, where I served myself, as I was for a meal where a waiter or waitress brought my food, so I see being waited on as a convenience rather than a necessity.
As such, I almost always give at least a minimum tip if I eat in a restaurant where there are waiters or waitresses.
Which is once, maybe twice a year, since I don't care to eat out much.
The times I don't give a tip are when the waiter or waitress are:
1. Rude
2. Slow
3. Spending more time with that table full of people over there, where they expect a bigger tip to come from
4. Spend their time talking to the cashier, other waiters/waitresses, the greeter at the door, or their friends who came by to say hi

If I'm with someone who wants or doesn't want to give a tip, that's fine. About the only time that bothers me is if the person waiting on us provided what was, in my opinion, excellent service, in which case I'll throw in a bigger tip from me to make up for the other person not giving one. I can only think of twice this has happened.

News Comments > Prototype 2 Announced
14. Re: Prototype 2 Announced Dec 12, 2010, 21:03 .Drifter

Too many little glitches for me to enjoy the game.
Throw in the fact they never patched the PC version, or really acknowledged the issues in the official forum, and it's a no buy for me.

News Comments > Jumpgate Evolution Lawsuit
7. Re: Jumpgate Evolution Lawsuit Dec 7, 2010, 00:34 .Drifter

I signed up for the beta ages ago, just because I like space games and like getting into beta's.
Time passes.
Codemasters gets involved.
I get an email asking me to sign up for beta again, through Codemaster this time.
Thinking eh, so what, I do.
Time passes.
I get another email asking me to sign up for beta yet again.
I deleted it.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops Patched (Twice)
5. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Patched (Twice) Nov 20, 2010, 12:47 .Drifter

I agree with the players warping comment. I've tried to play a few MP games online, and got by this bad a few times.
One game I swear, the guy was doing a combination of teleporting and flying around the map with a shotgun, killing everyone. He'd just pop up somewhere near you, in the air, and blast you dead in one shot, then poof gone, like Nightcrawler from X-Men.
And not sure if it was lag or not in another, but there was a sniper one shotting everyone, and when it did the kill cam replay he wasn't even aiming at you, just near you. So fun to die when the camera shows the bullet hitting what appears to be 10 feet from you.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops Preloads
7. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Preloads Nov 8, 2010, 22:08 .Drifter

I read the same thing.
If you buy a Boxed copy, you can play as of 12:01 am 11.9.2010, but if you purchase online, you can't play until at least 7:00 am 11.9.2010.

News Comments > The Old Republic Delay?
12. Re: The Old Republic Delay? Nov 6, 2010, 17:07 .Drifter

One shot kill would not work for any online game involving Star Wars and Lightsabers.
Heck, it wasn't even like that for the single player KOTOR games.
As for online, you would have to be a Jedi or Sith to even play the thing, since as a Jedi/Sith you'd just block all incoming blaster fire, force push back any explosives thrown your way, and walk right up and kill whatever was attacking you with one swing.
I also find it amusing to see complaints about what would be, in effect, GOD mode not being implemented when there's also so much talk these days about games being "too easy, too console, too full of regenerating health" and such. One shot kill would be pretty easy, in my book.
As for explaining it away, you could say personal shields block the blade from a one shot kill.
I seem to remember KOTOR having shields (something never in any of the SW movies that I remember seeing) and I don't really remember anyone complaining about that one.
Added this after the original post:
Now, if the implemented the one shot kill so it took some SKILL to do, that might, maybe, possibly could work, however due to the lag that randomly occurs with every online game I've ever played it might be hard to pull off. An example of what I mean, there was an older playstation 1 game, I forget the name, and in it you were a samurai of some sort and you fought other samurai. You could, if done right, pull off a one shot kill on an opponent, or slice the crap out of them too.

News Comments > Quote of the Day
30. Re: Quote of the Day Nov 6, 2010, 00:39 .Drifter

Brumbek wrote on Nov 5, 2010, 17:31:
I despise MMOs. I love single player RPGs. KotoR claims it’s both. It lies. I firmly believe MMOs by nature cannot be epic or immersive like a SP RPG. Will KotoR shatter my strongly held belief? No. I’m willing to bet all of your lives on it.

So my prediction? It will sell well due to hype, names, and marketing, but it will be just as average and tedious as other MMOs, fail to build momentum, and in a year it will just another insignificant MMO.

And I’ll be glad because I hope it fails. Why? Because BioWare could have created several full length KoToR SP games for the same price, so I want them to learn a big lesson (keep dreaming, I know…).

If you were really that confident in your prediction, wouldn't you bet your own life rather than the lives of others?
Betting the life of someone else gives you nothing to lose if you're wrong, where as betting your own does.
Well, unless you don't value your own life.

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: G4’s falling out with DirecTV… Oct 30, 2010, 03:07 .Drifter

Tech TV was great, I'd watch it on a regular basis. When they became G4, and began changing their format up, I quit watching them. I haven't even turned it to that channel in at least a year, possibly two . . .
I doubt though that TechTV will come back though.

News Comments > "Light at the End of the Tunnel" for APB?
10. Re: Oct 26, 2010, 00:41 .Drifter

My Walmart pulled it from shelves within 24 hours of the game closing.
Surprised the crap out of me, since that's the first time I can remember them pulling a game that fast.
Heck, they still sold HALO 1 for PC there, until about a month or so ago.

News Comments > Gearbox Working on Old DNF Preorders
9. Re: Very rarely a point in preordering... Oct 9, 2010, 00:31 .Drifter

I went there, what, 2 weeks ago, and my preorder was taken off a shelf behind the counter with 20 other copies behind and around it.
These were "for anyone" copies, not preorders btw.

News Comments > On APB Refunds, Epic's APB Interest, and RTW's Closure
45. Re: On APB Refunds, Epic's APB Interest, and RTW's Closure Sep 21, 2010, 05:48 .Drifter

Punisher wrote on Sep 20, 2010, 08:40:
TheDrifter73 wrote on Sep 20, 2010, 00:12:
They go under, they tell stores to stop carrying the game.
That assumes they actually told the stores to stop selling the game.
Based on the way they've been handling themselves, I doubt it.

I thought everyone was fired, so who's left to tell?

The point was that Realtime Worlds probably told no stores to stop selling the game, which would cause people to keep buying it even though the game is dead.

News Comments > On APB Refunds, Epic's APB Interest, and RTW's Closure
43. Re: On APB Refunds, Epic's APB Interest, and RTW's Closure Sep 20, 2010, 00:12 .Drifter

They go under, they tell stores to stop carrying the game.
That assumes they actually told the stores to stop selling the game.
Based on the way they've been handling themselves, I doubt it.

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Gameplay Trailer
11. Re: BioShock Infinite Gameplay Trailer Sep 19, 2010, 02:51 .Drifter

I bought Prototype for the PC, never finished it.
It has several minor bugs the programmers never cared to fix. Biggest one for me was an issue the game has with the Microsoft Sidewinder Mouse. Ran like crap with the mouse attached to the computer and the mouse software installed, the only game I have had this issue with. Only ways for me to get the game to run well were to 1. unplug the mouse totally from the system and plug in an xbox 360 controller to play with (which I found annoying, the unplugging of the mouse not the using of a controller) or 2. go into device manager and disable HID devices, which let the mouse stay attached while you played with no slowdown.
The downside to the second method was that I lost all advanced feature controls for the mouse (user configured sensitivity settings, macros, etc.) with HID devices disabled.

Compared to Prototype, I found Wolverine more fun and the only issue I had with it was to consistently get v-sync to work.
Changing the setting in the config file broke something with the game engine, and caused textures to disappear or become very blurred (the only unreal engine game this has happened to me on), but forcing v-sync through nvidia control panel worked most of the time.

462 Comments. 24 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo