Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jason

Real Name Jason   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname .Drifter
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 20, 2001, 09:41
Total Comments 467 (Amateur)
User ID 8752

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

News Comments > World of Tanks Patched
3. Re: World of Tanks Patched Jun 20, 2012, 23:48 .Drifter

Nighthawk wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 22:03:
I'll support and counter that.
There is nothing wrong with the matcher, low tier tanks in battle are typically lights, which are used for scouting and placed in higher tier matches.
Zero damage penetrating hits have been explained in the blog and forum.
Ghost shells, never seen it, some that impact obstructions and you don't see land, yes, but never disappearing.
Unbalanced, on and off, nothing too bad.
Artillery "wanked" yes, still happening.

If you haven't played, try it out, it's a fun game with a bunch of whiners tossed in for sport.
And I counter that!
I have heavies that are 9 of 10 matches the lowest tier tank in the match. Most games I've played, lights are even to me or higher level.
Zero damage penetrating hits are a problem. Explained or not, when you hit a tank 8 to 10 times in a row and get "penetration" each time, but 0 damage, something is wrong.
Disappearing shells, yes, but not frequently. Firing across an empty stretch of land, from behind bushes, with absolutely nothing in front of me and a hill behind the target, with absolutely no impact animation anywhere to be seen.
Unbalanced, yes and no. There was one tank, I think it was the Chinese premium one, where if you were in a match and the opposing team had 3 on their side, your match was almost a guaranteed loss. There were a few other tanks like that too.
Artillery, yeah, still has issues.

I played WoT for months, even went premium for a bit, but constantly being the low man on the totem pole match after match after match . . .

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2012, 22:56 .Drifter

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 21:41:
Probably -- I seem to remember a well publicized event where someone convinced a tele-marketer he was a cop answering a phone at a murder crime scene of the home owner and he wanted to know how the tele-marketer knew the victim... on and on.

Not sure I was actually ever convinced it was a real call from an actual tele-marketer but it was fun to consider the possibility.

Tom Mabe. He has a some pretty funny stuff he's supposedly pulled with telemarketers.
Here's that one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7OgWcwgB50

Another good one is where a dude calls and tries to sell him a casket, he pretends to be suicidal after getting fired and having his wife and family leave him.

News Comments > "38 Studios Spouse" Speaks
50. Re: Jun 13, 2012, 22:40 .Drifter

Dev wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 16:45:
Beamer wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 15:13:
But he needs to have broken a law to be a target. Starting a business, running it poorly and having it go out of business isn't a crime, if it was no one would ever start a business. Yes, there may be some civil issues that pop up, but on the surface there's not even a hint of a crime committed by Schilling.
Since when? The gov painted a target on him when he was looking for a scapegoat. If someone wants to target someone, they don't need to have any obvious laws broken. There's tons of obscure things or things one wouldn't think are a problem that can be an issue. Like if a cop wants to find something wrong with your car and pulls you over, they will. Maybe that oil sticker in the corner of your window merits a fine for instance. Or maybe your headlights aren't aligned and calibrated properly.
On a business, just bring in OSHA or something and they can find things wrong. Maybe that railing is 3 inches too high. Maybe someone ran a power cord across the floor.
Which reminds me, they could bring in BSA and have them do an audit of the computers. There's ALWAYS at least one copy of a software somewhere that wasn't properly licensed at all companies.

And those are just a few things off the top of my head.

Based on my experience, OSHA's a joke, but I understand mileage may vary and all that.
I've worked for two different companies that had OSHA sic'd on them, the worst one having a building that the fire inspector barely signed off on. Out of date wiring, barely adequate fire suppression system, door lock system kept doing out randomly and jamming the magnetic door locks on so the doors wouldn't open, air vents coated in dust, one of the bathrooms shut down for nearly a year to repair it (repairs didn't start for most of that year, and were completed in a few weeks).
Multiple employees got together, complained, and what did OSHA do?
Sent a letter that was posted on the wall for all to read that basically stated no, they would not be doing an inspection, everything was in spec per the company, and if it wasn't to please bring it in spec.
Needless to say but I'm not working there any more.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 12, 2012, 00:09 .Drifter

There was a game several years ago, I at one point thought Eternal Darkness might be it but it wasn't, that I was really interested in coming out for the Gamecube.
Essentially, a lady's daughter had died and was trapped in purgatory/limbo/hell/SOMEWHERE, and the mother did something, I think committed suicide, so she could go in and rescue her daughter's soul. I cannot for the life of me remember the game's name, or who was making it, but there were scenes where the mother was wandering around, solving puzzles, and I think merging with other lost souls to gain their power and fight the evil creatures in the netherworld she was wandering in.
Looked really good, then poof, never heard of it again.

News Comments > Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC
58. Re: Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC Jun 7, 2012, 22:17 .Drifter

Since this isn't really about the money, I'm going to assume that when the experiment is done and over with, he's refunding everyone, right?
Right?

News Comments > Dark Souls PC Port Issues
2. Re: Dark Souls PC Port Issues Jun 6, 2012, 21:42 .Drifter

"Yeah, we're going to release an unoptimized PC port created by a bunch of people who don't know how to port a game to PC, with nothing fixed from the original, but look! Shiny new content!"

No sale.

News Comments > Epic Wins Case Versus Silicon Knights
7. Re: Epic Wins Case Versus Silicon Knights May 30, 2012, 21:27 .Drifter

Cutter wrote on May 30, 2012, 21:04:
When you lay down with dogs you get fleas...and sued apparently.
I agree. Silicon Knights are dogs, only one good game from them, the original Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain.

11. Re: Schoolby Solves Puzzle May 28, 2012, 23:44 .Drifter

Fantaz wrote on May 28, 2012, 16:40:
Killer Kane wrote on May 28, 2012, 14:30:
That "schoolby" must be smart...

"Modest Shouryya began solving complicated equations as a six year old but says he's no genius."

How does he have such a low image of himself? He really thinks that he's not a genius even after solving this at 16?

But what, exactly, did he solve?
The story never actually says, only that he "solved two fundamental particle dynamics theories" that "professors claimed they were uncrackable" but that "physicists have previously been able to calculate only by using powerful computers."

So, essentially he solved an uncrackable theory that had already been cracked by a computer?
Did he just come up with a way to crack the theory that didn't involve a computer? A shortcut of sorts?
And as for calculating a baseball's path, I thought they've been able to do that for years.

15. Re: Out of the Blue May 24, 2012, 01:37 .Drifter

I wonder which contributes more to obesity:
1. Using a TV remote while watching TV
2. Sitting in front of a monitor attached to a computer while playing games and posting on forums
I'd guess the one that contributes most would be the one you do the most?

As for Joss Whedon, I've always thought he was overrated.
I liked the original Buffy movie, didn't much care for the series or Angel.
Firefly looked like it should be interesting, but what little I saw of it didn't really drawn me into it, although I did like Serenity.
Doll House . . . I was glad it was canceled.
Avengers now, I'll admit I did like.
The only issue I had with it, and with the Marvel movies in general, was that Thor seemed to be the one character that stuck out and didn't fit in.
The Iron Man and Hulk movies they seemed to try and keep a little bit of grounding in reality. Even Captain America did to an extent, but Thor . . . that movie pretty much threw that grounding right out the window and rode over it with a unicorn that had a rainbow colored mane. Thor just felt like the odd man out in both his movie and The Avengers.

This comment was edited on May 24, 2012, 01:46.

News Comments > Op Ed
29. Re: Op Ed May 19, 2012, 20:17 .Drifter

eunichron wrote on May 19, 2012, 19:50:
Cutter wrote on May 19, 2012, 18:41:
Edit: Just checked Amazon to see if they state anything about online connection required and they don't. So fair enough, maybe some people didn't know, but I still find it hard to believe it's the volume it apparently is.

I just checked my box and it says at the bottom, just above the system requirements, "INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED. PLAYER IS RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL APPLICABLE INTERNET FEES. BATTLE.NET REGISTRATION REQUIRED." And it says on page 3 of the manual, "Diablo III is a completely integrated online experience..."

So, it's not for lack of Blizzard getting the information out there, but who actually reads the system requirements and manual anyway?

I have dozens of game boxes that say, in some form, that an internet connection is required. Most use it to authenticate the install, and then never again. Some use it for the multiplayer component and nothing else.
Some, like command and conquer 4 for example, say "persistent internet connection" is required.
So, to be fair, "internet connection required" without the qualifier as to what specifically it is required for can potentially cause some people to not realize it's needed for the single player component. To be honest, it wouldn't surprise me one bit that this was why Blizzard had it printed out exactly like that as opposed to how some other publishers throw in the "persistent" part, just so people who hadn't read up on it and were buying it on impulse wouldn't realize it needed a persistent connection for single player.
As for being in the manual, well most stores I know of won't take back an open box, so by that point you're pretty much stuck with the game unless you throw a big enough fit to get them to take it back.

News Comments > On Sale
10. Re: Amazon 12 Days of Deals May 18, 2012, 00:31 .Drifter

Seems to be a somewhat common problem.
Most solutions I found involved Steam, and were basically verifying cache integrity and running Steam as admin.
Greenman gaming mentioned a similar issue, stated it happened when the seller ran out of game keys, and when installing the game it can't authenticate on the server until the publisher gave them more keys. There's even mention of a registry entry with SecurROM key.
I don't know that this will help you much though, sorry.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale May 17, 2012, 21:15 .Drifter

ArmA II: Combined Operations on sale, half off.
And it's the #1 best seller.
Who would have guessed it?

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Double XP Weekend
12. Re: Battlefield 3 Double XP Weekend May 12, 2012, 21:48 .Drifter

Kind of amused, in a way, since I seem to remember several months ago all the talk about how Battlefield was the real deal, MW3 sucked, etc.
And now?
It seems there's a lot of negativity about BF3 floating around.

News Comments > Republique Funded
6. Re: Republique Funded May 12, 2012, 21:38 .Drifter

Maybe so, but they took the payment from me quick fast and in a hurry when I threw some in on Wasteland 2.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
25. Re: Morning Metaverse May 2, 2012, 21:58 .Drifter

eRe4s3r wrote on May 2, 2012, 13:21:
The thing is the technology is actually pretty cheap nowadays, the problem is and always will be that with CGI stuff you have to have good (and i mean great) actors. And even better writers. Why you ask? Because Terra Nova as a whole had a pretty damn stupid concept

Why not make a series about earth colonists colonizing world X and then go off from there. Terra Nova as it was certainly does not deserve a continuation.

I want a good sci-fi show! Not a sitcom with dinosaurs

They already made a show about earth colonists colonizing world X.
It was called Earth 2, and from what little I remember of it, it sucked.

News Comments > TERA Headstarts Today and Tomorrow
9. Re: TERA Headstarts Today and Tomorrow Apr 27, 2012, 21:38 .Drifter

Isn't this the game being sued by NC Soft for theft of designs or programming code or something?
I guess the block on release through the courts didn't go through as planned.

News Comments > Torchlight II Pre-Purchases Get Free Torchlight
27. Re: Torchlight II Pre-Purchases Get Free Torchlight Apr 26, 2012, 21:40 .Drifter

Alamar wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 11:22:
I won't likely pre-order it, unless it's in the last few days, but it made me wonder... Why would you pre-order Torchlight 2 if you didn't thoroughly enjoy #1... Thereby making the copy of the first useless (minus the whole steam gifting part)...

And then I remembered the letter r... Or more accurately... Arrrrr... Pirates ; )

This is a great example of how piracy generates revenue; many many people who pirate a product will buy a sequel. Which incidentally, is also why Windows is THE operating system of choice : )

-Alamar

I don't know about that. Based off of the people I know, and have known, they were just as likely to pirate a sequel as they were the first game, especially if they liked it.
As for offering the first game free as part of a preorder, not sure why they're doing it either. If you pirated the first game, you don't really need a copy of it, and if you bought a copy, you don't need one either. As for gifting, everyone I know who wanted it bought it, or had it gifted already, so unless you're gifting it to someone for a gifted game in return . . .

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millennium Dropping MMO; THQ Cuts
21. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millennium Dropping MMO; THQ Cuts Mar 30, 2012, 01:06 .Drifter

The comment about "robust digital content" has me thinking they're going to put out a lot of DLC as the expected income stream, rather than a monthly sub, which makes me wonder just how feature complete the game will be sans the inevitable DLC.
As for Relic making a Homeworld 3 . . . I don't know about that.
On the one hand, I'd love to have a Homeworld 3, but only if it were more like the first Homeworld, or even better more like HW: Cataclysm, and not like Homeworld 2.
I just liked the units in HW:C better than HW or HW 2, and the units in HW 2 just seemed like a step back or something. The near constant rush, rush, rush of the game annoyed me too, since I never felt like I could just sit back and enjoy the game.
I also didn't much care for all the retconning they did with the story in HW 2 either.

News Comments > Romero on Making an Old School FPS: "I Have Plans"
30. Re: Romero on Making an Old School FPS: "I Have Plans" Mar 12, 2012, 00:43 .Drifter

Personally, I think the concept behind Daikatana was cool. A magical sword that lets you time travel to different eras, with different visual styles and matching enemies. AI teammates with unique personalities that would help you. A wide variety of weapons to use, from the different eras.
The problem was in the implementation.
If done correctly, where the game play was something like that of the Jedi FPS made by Raven, with better AI companions, it could have been awesome.
Instead, it ended up as a game that looked and played like a Quake II mod gone wrong.
Now, if Romero were to do a Daikatana II and get the guys from Raven who worked on their Jedi games involved, that would definitely pique my interest.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Patch Plans
48. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Patch Plans Feb 27, 2012, 02:21 .Drifter

So I watched the 4 videos and pretty much saw the same run there, kill that mechanic I've seen in other games I've played online.
The graphics ranged from pretty good to downright dated (could be due to the age of the video though).
In fact, only two things caught my attention.
1. The fight with the dragon.
2. At the end, where the magic user became a tornado.

As for the comments here, I will admit the thought of a game based around dynamic events is intriguing, and a developer that actually listens to the community could be nice, depending on who they decide to listen to.
This seemed interesting too, as it might resolve one of my bigger complaints with MMOG's:
There is no kill stealing, there is no loss of loot rights, and you are rewarded for participating and "helping out" (whether it be a support role or a direct combat role).

Still not enough though to get me to buy the game. I've heard too many times, from devs and those who are enthusiastic about a game, how great it will be only to be let down.

467 Comments. 24 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo