Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jason

Real Name Jason   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname .Drifter
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 20, 2001, 09:41
Total Comments 447 (Amateur)
User ID 8752

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Patch Plans
35. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Patch Plans Feb 26, 2012, 18:40 .Drifter

I keep hearing how GW2 is going to be the second coming of online games.
I tried the first GW, played it maybe a week and a half after it first came out, never touched it again.
This left me with pretty much no interest in a GW2.
What, exactly, am I missing about this game that it is supposedly so great?
I've heard this sort of hype about a few other games that didn't pan out (Warhammer Online and Age of Conan to name two), so what exactly is so great about GW2?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Blizzard's Free-to-Play Plans?
13. Re: Blizzard's Free-to-Play Plans? Feb 24, 2012, 01:12 .Drifter

Rock and Roll Racing online.
Make it so.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
3. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 18, 2012, 17:09 .Drifter

Can't stand the Metro look for Xbox.
New logo reminds me of Apple for some reason. Make it white on a blue background, throw an i in front of Windows . . . bam.

News Comments > Free BF3 With Origin ME3 Preorders
21. Re: Free BF3 With Origin ME3 Preorders Feb 17, 2012, 01:24 .Drifter

Well, apparently it was all a mix up?
I took a look at it today and . . .
Important Note: ME3 pre-order does not include a bonus copy of Battlefield 3

LOL!

Edit: Apparently response was so good, they stopped the offer.

News Comments > Star Trek Game Next Year
44. Re: Star Trek Game Next Year Feb 12, 2012, 19:05 .Drifter

Cutter wrote on Feb 12, 2012, 12:35:
If you want examples of what real ST is supposed to be that highlights quality writing and acting watch TNG's The Drumhead and Where Silence Has Lease. No one is saying that there isn't or shouldn't be action in ST just that it's the least part of it. The morality tales, the science, the exploration, those are the important bits and what differentiate from all the rest of the fictional schlock out there.

And TNG was the last good series. All the others had their moments here and there but nothing close to the consistency of TOS and TNG. I can't imagine a new series would even be remotely close to either.

So, when you say:
Star Trek, first and foremost, is about peaceful exploration, science, diplomacy, and all that other good stuff the masses find boring. The action aspect of it was the minor part of it and should always be that way.

What you're actually referring to is mostly TNG, and not Star Trek as a whole, because from what I remember of TOS, and I've watched the series several times, Kirk's idea of peaceful exploration and diplomacy usually involved:
1. Punching an alien
2. Shooting an alien
3. Blowing an aliens ship up
4. Screwing an alien (if it were female)

Then there was DS9, which devolved into what, 2 or 3 seasons of fighting during the Dominion war?
And how about Voyager, where it seemed like just about every week they were shooting at someone or something.
I won't even mention Enterprise, since I never made it through the first season and as such cannot comment on it.

Point being, you can't just concentrate on TNG being mostly what Star Trek was about, and poo poo anything that doesn't live up to it's standards.
And yes, I do consider TNG the best series followed by TOS. The only good TNG movie, imho, was First Contact, the rest I could go without ever seeing again, and not care. This kind of makes me sad, that TOS had more movies I liked, being the first four. The fifth, meh.

And finally, considering the fact that the new Star Trek movie is set just before when TOS started, I think the action quotient is just about right.
If it had been set in the TNG time frame, it might have been a little over the top concerning the action, but then again, how many TNG movies reached a resolution that didn't involve a fight?

News Comments > PC PROTOTYPE 2 Delayed
11. Re: PC PROTOTYPE 2 Delayed Feb 1, 2012, 03:54 .Drifter

PHJF wrote on Feb 1, 2012, 02:47:
I won't pick this one up after the first one though. The first prototype was a fun game when/if it worked.

I had the complete opposite experience. Worked right out of the box, controls were fine with either keyboard or gamepad, performance was great, and I didn't hit any big bugs. Great game, just needed more fleshing out.

Several issues for me. Crashed a bit, and absolutely would not run with a mouse attached to my PC. To play, I literally had to launch the game, unplug the mouse, and then plug in a joy stick. Had to do this every time until I found a forum post that mentioned disabling HID devices in device manager, and for whatever reason that worked.
The only game with this issue that I have ever played.

News Comments > Paradox on Sword of the Stars 2 Problems
23. Re: incompetent developers have no excuse Jan 28, 2012, 00:57 .Drifter

Bard wrote on Jan 27, 2012, 13:05:
THIS is why piracy is supposedly rampant - the release of software in unacceptable state, with MAYBE a fix some months to years later, with no way of getting a refund.

Hmm, I thought piracy was rampant because:
1. No one wants to buy a game that might suck without trying it first.
2. DRM is the devil. (mama said)
3. The publisher is the devil, and doesn't deserve your money.
4. The game is overpriced for what you get.
5. Piracy archives games, which is good, so they'll never disappear.
6. Etc, etc . . .

Sometimes I wonder what isn't a reason piracy is rampant, lol.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
24. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 7, 2012, 17:01 .Drifter

Ozmodan wrote on Jan 7, 2012, 07:49:
Well to start with, having to hard wire a console limits where you can put it. So the ethernet port argument kind of dies right there.

Actually, it doesn't.
At most, it situational.
Personally, in the last 3 houses I've lived in over the last 13 years, there has been a TV connection in the same room as the internet connection. In each house, this was designated by the real-estate agent as the "computer/home office room."
Seeing as how I buy a game system to game on primarily, and the tv/computer/game system have always been in the same room within feet of each other, this has worked out great for me, and having a hard line has not been a problem. Seems to work better too for online play, compared to my wifi experiences over the years.
Using wifi, however, hasn't been as easy due in large part to the fact that this "computer/home office room" has almost always been either above the garage or off in some back corner of the house, which proves detrimental to the wifi signal, with it only reaching the living room with a merely adequate strength and any rooms at the opposite end with weak enough strength that the connection regularly drops.
The only solution then was to either find a central location in the house and:
1. Run the internet there, slap on a wireless router or modem, and have everything wireless
2. Set up a repeater
Currently, I'm using option 2 and it works just fine.

As for handhelds taking over, I doubt it based on 3ds and vita sales.
Unless you mean smartphones.
If so, I don't know about that. I have an android myself, and given the choice, hands down I go with computer or console, in that order.
Touch screen is nice and all, but I like to actually be able to see the games I'm playing without having to cover up part of the screen with my hands to play them.

16. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 7, 2012, 05:35 .Drifter

PHJF wrote on Jan 7, 2012, 02:22:
Yeah and every house is obviously built with ethernet jacks in the walls...

Never said they were.
Mine sure wasn't.
Instead, it has a coaxial cable bolt I hook my cable modem up to, which has the ethernet port on it.

Anyhow, what does that have to do with anything?
You'd said the PS3 was wifi g only, so I figured it might be possible that you had a newer console they had taken the ethernet port out of. Sony seems fond of removing things, either through newer versions or software updates, so removing it wouldn't surprise me.
In ether case, both my PS3 and Xbox 360 stream HD video just fine over my ethernet cable, so saying the PS3 isn't much of a media console isn't necessarily true in all situations.

12. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 7, 2012, 01:00 .Drifter

PHJF wrote on Jan 6, 2012, 23:47:
Considering PS3 only has wifi-g, streaming 720p over it is next to impossible. Not much of a media console.

My PS3 has an ethernet port. Which model did you get?

News Comments > 18 Million World of Tanks Registrations
21. Re: 18 Million World of Tanks Registrations Dec 22, 2011, 02:20 .Drifter

You drive around in a tank blowing tanks up.
It's basically quake in a tank.
For what it is, I enjoy it . . . when the match maker is working that is.
Most of the time it's just a massive POS that can't make a decent match at all.
From what I've played, if you're in a match with a tank more than 2, maybe 3 tiers above you, you're screwed. And the tier spread is 5, which means a mid tier (tier 5) can be in a match with a max tier (tier 10) which usually results in a one shot from outside the range you can see anyone.
That's what pisses me off more than the "gold" ammo and "gold" tanks.

News Comments > NVIDIA Beta Drivers
7. Re: NVIDIA Beta Drivers Dec 22, 2011, 02:11 .Drifter

Been getting random TDR's on firefox too, on Win7 64bit.  

News Comments > The Book of Unwritten Tales Patch; Piracy Plea
11. Re: The Book of Unwritten Tales Patch; Piracy Plea Nov 10, 2011, 00:48 .Drifter

WarpCrow wrote on Nov 9, 2011, 23:13:
Prez wrote on Nov 9, 2011, 20:32:
Not sure it's a game I'd like enough to spend 30 bucks on but I wish them the best.

This is the problem. The people pirating this would not otherwise buy it at this price point. Why would I buy a low-budget game for 30 bucks when there are so many AAA titles coming out right around now? Arkham City, Skyrim, BF3, MW3, Saints Row 3, L.A. Noire on PC, the new Anno, those are just the big names that came out or are coming out this month, not even starting on the list coming out in December. SWTOR, AC: Revelations, etc. and some mix of these is much higher priority on most peoples' lists. How much money do they think people have?

I'm not justifying piracy, but to think these people are 1 to 1 lost sales is not just improbable, it's laughable.

I seriously hope you're not suggesting they would pirate an indie game because they plan to actually spend money on a triple A title.
Most people I know who pirate games wouldn't drop a dime on a game no matter what it was, indie or AAA, so I find the idea that a pirate would want to pay for a AAA game to be a little laughable.
That's not to say all wouldn't, just most.

News Comments > Steam Forums Hacked?
44. Re: Steam Forums Hacked? Nov 8, 2011, 03:24 .Drifter

Never got an email myself, so maybe they didn't get to all the steam forum accounts.
Also didn't notice the store page down either, but then again I haven't been online constantly all day either.

News Comments > New Via Digital Distribution
5. Re: New Via Digital Distribution Oct 30, 2011, 00:56 .Drifter

I enjoyed the first game, and it's expansions, was planning on getting this one but saw it wouldn't run on XP, so I'd planned to hold off until I got my W7 computer put together.
Good idea apparently.
As for the release, yep, a beta build was released.
So they put up the official beta release build, aka "retail version."
First game I remember having very little trouble with at release, other than a few very random crashes, and didn't have any issues with the expansions either, although I read that others did.
Guess their quality control has really fallen off.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
3. Re: Sunday Mobilization Oct 17, 2011, 00:35 .Drifter

I've heard from dozens of people who bought the iPhone 4s, and not once did any of them mention that they bought the phone for Siri, or that they were excited over the phone because of Siri.
They got it, and were excited over it, because . . . OMG, IT'S THE NEW IPHONE, I HAVE TO HAVE IT BECAUSE, BECAUSE, BECAUSE, I HAVE TO HAVE IT!!!!!

News Comments > Space Marine Postmortem
9. Re: Space Marine Postmortem Oct 13, 2011, 03:35 .Drifter

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Oct 13, 2011, 01:47:
Kosigan wrote on Oct 12, 2011, 21:40:
It's alright Relic. You guys rock anyway. <3 Homeworld

Those guys USED to rock.

Dawn of War 2 was a joke, Space Marine is barely tolerable.

They should be knocking out Homeworld 3, and a real DoW sequel, not this various 3rd person shooter and fake RTS nonsense.

After Homeworld 2, I don't know that I want Relic to make a Homeworld 3.
For me, it's like they retconned nearly the whole origin story they told in the first game, took a step back from Cataclysm in terms of weapon advancements, and then made you rush through the whole friggin' game so it was hard to even enjoy it. I get that you're being chased and hounded by the enemy, but a break every now and then would have been nice.

News Comments > id On RAGE "Cluster!@#$" and Lead Platforms
98. Re: id On RAGE Oct 8, 2011, 05:57 .Drifter

Jackplug wrote on Oct 8, 2011, 04:28:
So I with the likes of Doom 4 will be just another console rip, so that will be pirated to hell cos no fucker is gonna buy it on the pc not after this palaver.

Always find it funny to read a game isn't worth buying, which implies it has no value, and yet is worth pirating, which implies it does have value.
If I feel a game isn't worth buying, and it has no value to me, I ignore it.

PS:
Not saying you endorse piracy, or are saying you plan to pirate the game, btw. I'm just commenting on the statement in general, since I see variations of it all the time.

News Comments > Rumored Syndicate Details Promise a "Visceral FPS Experience"
35. Re: Rumored Syndicate Details Promise a "Visceral FPS Experience" Sep 11, 2011, 20:34 .Drifter

I wait all these years for a sequel to Syndicate and I finally get it.
An FPS, because that's the sequel everyone wanted to the original.
Lovely.

As a side note, I'm surprised no one has really commented on the protagonist's name.
Miles Kilo.
Sounds like it belongs in Speed Racer, not a Syndicate game.

News Comments > Star Trek Online Going Free-to-Play This Year
9. Re: Star Trek Online Going Free-to-Play This Year Sep 1, 2011, 20:50 .Drifter

Jivaro wrote on Sep 1, 2011, 19:47:
I can tell none of you has played the game recently.

That said, Cryptic deserves all of your criticisms and more for how the game launched. Making the Trek universe into a "shoot first ask questions later" experience was idiotic. There has been much improvement, particularly when it comes to mission variation and substance, but not very many people wanted to wait it out while Cryptic made changes, particularly when most of those people could look at Champions Online and not see much of a reason to believe that the game would change for the better.

Then Cryptic finds out its up for sale and basically internal development stopped. Fortunately it was after the player mission editor (think City of Heroes) was added, but still things kinda stopped. Now with another ST MMO in development and SWTOR coming I am not sure this game has a future regardless of what Perfect World does with it. F2P is really their only option, and truth be told, it should have been done quite some time ago.

I would also add that not being associated with Atari any longer can only be a good thing for Cryptic. Perfect World can't possibly worse then Atari. Seriously, I would rather work for Bobby K and Activision then sign up with Atari.

Didn't DS:9 largely go the way of "shoot first, ask questions later" first, when they started the Dominion wars to try and boost ratings? I don't know, I quit watching it around that time.
As for ST:O, from what I've played of it lately they do seem to be tweaking it a bit each patch, with the whole ground combat change being the biggest lately.
Wonder what they're going to do with lifetimers though? Champions grandfathered them in under the new system, but that was before Perfect World acquired them, ST:O will be after. Gonna be a lot of butt hurt people if their lifetime subs go "poof" on them.

447 Comments. 23 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo