Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Houglum

Real Name Mike Houglum   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname VT Hoodlum
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 18, 2001, 15:55
Total Comments 184 (Novice)
User ID 8732

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Indigo Prophecy
7. Re: Censored Sep 21, 2005, 00:13 VT Hoodlum

This game has been Censored in NA get Farenheit import instead. cheers

Thought about it briefly, but it would cost me $50 to get it imported, or I could pick it up locally for $40. I don't really feel like paying an extra $10 for some polygon nudity. Wikipedia says the changes have very little bearing on the game, so I'm just going to pick up the (admittedly artistically inferior, I guess) local version.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fahrenheit_(video_game)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Grow Cube Sep 18, 2005, 19:42 VT Hoodlum

Thanks, but I should've just worked at it a litle more before asking for help. After posting my question, I went back and figured it out. I really enjoy this guy's stuff. its weird, but in a good way.

17. Grow Cube Sep 18, 2005, 19:15 VT Hoodlum

Has anyone figured this thing out? I can get about half the items maxed out, but I'm having a little trouble solving it.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Million Dollar Homepage Sep 14, 2005, 11:46 VT Hoodlum

Just Brilliant, both as an advertising tool for the businesses, and a moneymaking tool for him. The really tiny ads make you curious as to what's behind them, so you'll actually click to see what's there, as opposed to a full size ad you'll probably just pass by. As far as a moneymaking tool, well, this guy made $1200 in less than four hours this morning.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Nintendo Death Watch Sep 12, 2005, 22:30 VT Hoodlum

I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with that article. I'm an acknowledged Nintendo fan(not a fanatic, though), so I may be a little biased, but I really don't think they're going away anytime soon. I also doubt they'll ever reclaim their dominant market share, but they have a big thing going for them that GM (and Microsoft and Sony, to some extent) doesn't have: profitability. Nintendo has carved itself a sizable niche with inexpensive hardware and unique, innovative games. Even their 'failed' systems, the N64, and to a lesser extent, the GameCube, made them money. The handheld arena brings them all the cash they need all by itself. I especially disagree with the author's comparison of the PSP and the DS. The 'gimmicky' DS is steadily developing a solid library of games that simply weren't possible to do before. The 3d effects of the Virtual Boy were a gimmick, but the touch screen is a complete departure from how we've played games before. I'll put out a quick example for those of you that havn't messed around with the DS at all.

I don't have one yet, (will probably change that soon) but I was playing a demo machine in a local EB. It was playing a Pac-Man concept demo. In this demo, you had a blank screen with the Pac-Man ghosts floating around. In order to play, you didn't use the d-pad or buttons. You drew a Pac-Man on the screen, and it came to life and started moving around the screen and eating ghosts, guided by walls you'd quickly erect by drawing a line with the stylus. Ok, this is neat so far, I think. After a few minutes of eating ghosts, I'm confronted by an extra large Boss ghost. I try running into him with my Pac-Man, only to be swatted off the screen. This happens a couple more times, and I start thinking of what I'm not doing right. Then, it hits me. I draw a SUPER BIG Pac-Man that takes up most of the screen. I direct him towards that extra large ghost, now small by comparison, and eat him right up. This sold me on the system. It lets you interact with the world on a level not previously possible. The options for this are wide open. There's a freaking surgeon game coming out where you play a doctor and 'operate' on patients using the stylus as a scalpal and other medical tools. Maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but really, tell me if you've ever heard of anything like that before. The PSP, by comparison, is, just like author said, a shrunken down PS2, complete with shrunken down PS2 games. It doesn't really offer anything we havn't seen before. Its a sexy looking system, no doubt, but its high cost, mostly mediocre game library, and overly expensive movies don't really move me to throw down my money.

We havn't seen what this new controller for the Revolution is yet, but given what Nintendo has made possible with the DS, I have faith that this system will make people take notice. Probably not enough to recapture the market from the XBox and Playstation, but certainly enough to keep Nintendo off life support and making games for a long time.

News Comments > The Good, the Bad and the Ugly Game
3. Re: The Bad and the Ugly Sep 12, 2005, 19:15 VT Hoodlum

"Whoa, I know Exorcism"

LOL

That reminds me of the episode of Chappelle's Show where they do a shot-for-shot recreation of the office escape scene from the beginning of the Matrix. Seeing Dave Chappelle in white makeup doing a super exaggerated Keanau cracked me up. "Morpheus?"

News Comments > Games & Politics
18. Re: No subject Sep 11, 2005, 09:04 VT Hoodlum

My nephew's been playing violent PC games since he was about six. Ah, it brings me back to when he was playing through Doom. I tried to encourage him. "You've got a fucking shotgun, just open the fucking door. And stop crying!"

LOL

43. Re: Pandora Sep 8, 2005, 18:22 VT Hoodlum

This thing is freaking awesome if you like electronic music, or anything else that doesn't get radio play, really. I'm finding a ton of artists I didn't know existed, and filling up my download queue for a while.

49. Rave Bust Aug 23, 2005, 19:05 VT Hoodlum

This pisses me off so much. I'm posting a link to a firsthand account of one of the djs that was playing at this show.

http://www.404audio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14814

This was a completely legal party. The promoter had his permits, he had a licensed security force confiscating drugs and alcohol, and this was on private property. This completely over the top police response was to send a message: Ravers, stay the fuck out of Utah. Yes, they found some drugs. You know what? If you go to any huge music event- rap show, rock show, whatever, you're goign to find some drugs. The management was making their best effort to keep everything clean and legit. Believe it or not, there are many, many people into electronic music that have no interest in drugs at all. People go for the music, the dancing, the sheer FUN of it, just like any other genre of music. I don't know what else to say, I'm just pissed that this kind of bullshit can go on in America today.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
7. $130 DS Aug 15, 2005, 20:40 VT Hoodlum

I've said for a while I wasn't going to get a handheld. I havn't owned one since the original gameboy. Now that I'm not a kid anymore, and actually drive on road trips, I don't really see the point. However, I easily blow $130 in one or two weekends out. Caving in and staying home with a new game for a couple friday nights might not be such a bad call. Some of the games coming out for this thing look really, really cool and different. I mean, where else can you use a stylus to operate in a surgery game?

1. Lust For Bust Aug 14, 2005, 13:01 VT Hoodlum

Hilarious. The guy's facial expressions absolutely make that game.

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War Gold Edition
4. Re: sold Aug 13, 2005, 18:46 VT Hoodlum

They weren't all bad... the main character (the captain) wasn't too bad, but yeah, pretty much every one else, especially the inquisitor, was guilty of extreme overacting. Definitely a contrast from Warcraft III.

News Comments > Morning Q&As
8. Re: W00000000T! Aug 12, 2005, 20:25 VT Hoodlum

I actually just bought and played through this game earlier this week. It is really good, and I really enjoyed the squad based play and insane ranged weaponry you can get. But, (there's always a but) I was disappointed for the most part in the AI, especially towards the end of the game. There were a couple missions where the enemy really pushed back, but for the most part it was incredibly passive. The last two missions felt like mop up from beginning to end. When the enemy would attack your base or strategic points, it was only a couple squads at a time, and a mimimum defensive force would take them out no problem. The enemy would keep sending these small squads that would get ripped apart, instead of sending 3 or 4 at once and overrun my position. Meanwhile, my main force is rolling through the map, picking up new territory, not facing much opposition, because the enemy spent all his money sending his guys to die one at a time. That said, I did enjoy the game, and really want to play it against an actual person, to bypass that dumb AI problem.

News Comments > Evening Screenshots
3. Re: Enemy Territory: Quake Wars Screensh Aug 11, 2005, 22:39 VT Hoodlum

Wow, that looks incredible. I think a whole new computer is going to be necessary sometime next year. My 9800 Pro has been great, but this is getting to be a bit much for it.

News Comments > Morning Q&As
3. Re: Lowe & Dreamfall Jul 19, 2005, 11:24 VT Hoodlum

TLJ?

73. Re: Ronin Jul 14, 2005, 22:02 VT Hoodlum

Of course all car chases are staged. The Matrix, though, is on a whole other level of fake. I loved that chase scene, but 80% of the vehicles seen in that weren't there at all. When trinity is weaving so tightly between cars it looks almost impossible, that's because it is, and she (her stunt driver, rather) was just following a predetermined path, and they added all the cars in in post production. Bullit(though I havn't seen it), the Bourne Chases, Ronin, etc, actually used real cars driving past other real cars. If you want to call that fake, then, yes, pretty much everything except Cops is fake. There's a big difference, though, between weaving in and out of staged, but physically real traffic at 100 mph, and driving down an empty highway on a motorcycle.

41. Planarity Jul 13, 2005, 18:55 VT Hoodlum

I'm having flashbacks to computer science homework

News Comments > Into the Black
9. Melanoma Jul 11, 2005, 22:44 VT Hoodlum

Pssshh, that's just fancy talk for sexified

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Bionic Arm Jun 30, 2005, 22:11 VT Hoodlum

When its able to shoot out a bionic grappling claw that lets him swing from rooftops, then I'll be impressed.

News Comments > Game Movies
2. Re: vanguard May 26, 2005, 17:55 VT Hoodlum

Who the hell creates a searchable beastiary when they only have 9 monsters TOTAL in there? It only highlights the lack of content when most of the searches return no hits.

Stupid

184 Comments. 10 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo