Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for sauron

Real Name sauron   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description God of death, destruction and decay. Likes fluffy kittens.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 15, 2001, 03:31
Total Comments 1476 (Pro)
User ID 8692

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > FF14 Sales Suspended Due to Positive Response
41. Re: FF14 Sales Suspended Due to Positive Response Aug 28, 2013, 16:00 sauron

Theo wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 15:34:
HorrorScope wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 13:18:
sauron wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 13:04:
Best deal of the lot is GW2, which is totally free.

Where did you get GW's for free?

he didnt, its not.

This is true, I didn't get the game for free and it's not available for free. But once you have it, there is no subscription fee, and the content is continually updated, albeit incrementally.

I just wish there was more of it - would happily pay for an expansion.

Kittens!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: FF14 Sales Suspended Due to Positive Response Aug 28, 2013, 13:04 sauron

Acleacius wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 12:57:
Still not sure what I'm going to do about TESO now we know they are going with $15 US a month subs. I might have paid $10 a month, if the game had been good, $15 is just too much now days.

Same here. I occasionally pay $10 for VIP for a month in LOTRO if I'm playing a lot (eg off work sick for a few days), but in general I stopped subbing for MMOs. For $15 a month standard TESO would have to be really good.

For FFXIV to keep my interest it will have to be good as well, but I already have a bucketload of friends in that game who are coming over from FFXI - a ready-made community and guild. That's another factor.

Best deal of the lot is GW2, which is totally free. Only problem is, I ran out of content in that one. Release an expansion already!

Kittens!

29. Re: FF14 Sales Suspended Due to Positive Response Aug 28, 2013, 12:38 sauron

osage no onna wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 11:54:
sauron wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 09:57:
Cutter wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 09:50:
Acleacius wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 09:15:
Marketing ploy or good game?

Marketing ploy for sure.

Actually, I'm hearing the opposite. A bunch of friends are playing, and all of them are saying it's really, really good.

It can be both good and a marketing ploy. It's basically a Thing now that when you launch a new MMO you have to do a press release where you say how the game is practically too popular for its own good, and apologize profusely for how popular the game is, and how they're scrambling to meet this spectacular popularity, did we mention how popular the game is maybe you'd want to give it try too? Rolleyes

Well put, I agree.

A game so popular, its servers melt down from overwhelming demand. Sounds like a marketing executive's wet dream.

Kittens!

19. Re: FF14 Sales Suspended Due to Positive Response Aug 28, 2013, 10:35 sauron

Despoiler wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 10:26:
I'm digging the game so far. I'm level 20 after a couple days of playing. The world is gorgeous. It feels like every place in the world has had a lot of time spent building it. Even with all of the detail, all settings maxed, the game runs smooth as butter. (i5 2500K @ 4.3ghz, 7970 GHZ with 13.8 beta 2 drivers, 16GB RAM)

Quests types are pretty run of the mill. Kill, gather, delivery, class, and story. The animals and monsters are in true FF style. Unique takes on them. The class and story quests have cut scenes, which are really well done. There are also "fate". Think dynamic events from Warhammer Online and Rift. There are also "levemete". Think daily quests. There are battle, gathering, and crafting levemete to choose from so you can work on what you want to. There are a lot of ways to get xp and money in this game. You should never get stuck. There is a TON of quest text in this game. If you love reading you will love this game. Fortunately, you can quickly skip through if you just want to get on with it.

I've hit the first two light party(4 man) dungeons. They are straight forward and any MMO vet will breeze through them. Never-the-less they give some glimmer of what is to come. Again, they feel detailed and hand crafted as opposed to thrown together, reused, or auto generated. There is a short cut scene for the boss battle. Bosses look amazing so far. I've caught myself going "holy ****" once the cut scene started playing.

Sadly there is no PvP in the game right now, but the first PvP content should be coming with the 2.1 patch. So far as I know, they are planning on having a different set of skills just for PvP so there are no balance issues with PvE. Great idea IMO. I'm looking forward to it.

Overall, I am really enjoying this game much more than I thought I would. I'm more of a PvP player, but the PvE in this game is enjoyable.

Thanks, that sounds promising, I'll see how I dig it over the weekend.

Kind of amazed they're having server issues - I know those are very common at MMO launch but they do have 10 years of experience with FFXI! Then again, maybe it really is selling faster than they expected...

Kittens!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2013, 10:06 sauron

Good luck! Hope you can get the fine and points reduced.

I don't usually have these troubles. If I get pulled over for speeding, the Fell Beast I'm riding just eats the policeman.

Kittens!

12. Re: FF14 Sales Suspended Due to Positive Response Aug 28, 2013, 09:57 sauron

Cutter wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 09:50:
Acleacius wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 09:15:
Marketing ploy or good game?

Marketing ploy for sure.

Actually, I'm hearing the opposite. A bunch of friends are playing, and all of them are saying it's really, really good. Apparently SE listened to all the criticism and completely redesigned the game.

I picked up a copy yesterday but haven't logged in yet. I'll play it over the weekend and get back to you guys. I play MMOs almost exclusively and hated the original - ditched it after like 15 minutes - so it will have to be really good to keep my attention.

Here's an early review from Massively: Clicky!

Kittens!

News Comments > Steve Ballmer to Retire
24. Re: Steve Ballmer to Retire Aug 23, 2013, 13:17 sauron

And there was much rejoicing. Lack of vision and unwilling to take risks. A follower, not an inspired leader.  

Kittens!

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Free Trial & Heroic Edition Launch
16. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial & Heroic Edition Launch Aug 23, 2013, 13:13 sauron

Total-Khaos wrote on Aug 23, 2013, 10:38:
Verno wrote on Aug 23, 2013, 09:38:
Time to argue about who is or isn't playing this game!

I stopped playing after obtaining Twilight a few months after the game was released. There didn't seem like anything to really do after you hit max level and got a legendary aside from dungeons and stuff, which got really old after a while too.

Same here. Great game, but if they want me to go back they need an expansion, not a new edition of the base version. I have two max level characters with great gear, all crafts maxed, and a Legendary weapon (The Flameseeker Prophecies), and have finished almost all the content, so now I really have no reason to log in.

Instead, right now I'm playing LOTRO (tons of content, although too many 'Kill X wargs/goblins/orcs/boars' quests), and have pre-ordered FFXIV - will see how that one shapes up - looks promising.

For the guy who asked if GW2 is a good 'starter' MMO, yes I think it is. Minimal grind, maximum fun. But for MMO regulars, it runs out of content too quickly.

Kittens!

26. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2013, 17:20 sauron

Agent.X7 wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 16:46:
Personally, I don't think we should do anymore than we already do to educate people about healthy eating. You get a good dose of that in school and on early education programs. We just need to make people who are too lazy to do anything about it pay more in medical costs.

I can see where you're coming from, but the poorest sector of the population is the most likely to be obese. They're already on Medicaid/Medicare. The system's already paying their costs. Educating these folks is cheaper than treating them later. It's also why NYC sponsors fresh fruit carts in poor neighborhoods like Harlem, where I live.

Actually, it's funny, two blocks away from my building there's a greasy dog/burger cart and a fresh fruit cart. Always a line at the former, never a soul at the latter. You can't even give the fruit away. And even the kids from the area that go to good schools and have fantastic grades still eat bad. They're educated in every other way but the diet is the last to sink in.

Kittens!

25. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2013, 17:14 sauron

Agent.X7 wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 15:50:
My wife gets fatter every year because she refuses to get off her ass and work out. We eat the same food, but she eats a lot more of it. It's a pretty damn simple problem that people want to make complex to feel better about their own fat, lazy asses. It's the same reason everyone seems to have a "thyroid condition" now. Hey, fatty, that pie hole you keep jamming with food is not called a thyroid.

Hope she doesn't read that. If so, hope you have a comfortable couch to sleep on.

Kittens!

4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2013, 11:19 sauron

Speaking of NFL promos, I was watching the Giants preseason game last night and they were so bad I changed channels (to see Boston plunking A-Rod).

The Giant's O line looked really weak and the D was second to every ball. I sure hope they get better, otherwise it'll be a long season indeed.

Kittens!

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XI Add-on Giveaway
1. Re: FINAL FANTASY XI Add-on Giveaway Aug 11, 2013, 17:10 sauron

Abyssea is pretty great - I went back to FFXI just for that and stayed for over a year. It's good content, deep and fun.

Having said that, there are several better deals on the MMO market right now. LOTRO is really, really excellent - I had ignored it for a couple years but the depth and gameplay are off the charts at this point - the game has reached maturity and is in its prime.

GW2 is also excellent if you haven't already played it - although I think it lacks the depth a dedicated MMO vet (ie hardcore player) might be looking for.

And of course, FFXIV is relaunched in 2 weeks, and the buzz around it is huge - lots and lots of good previews. Gonna wait on that one personally, see if it really is that good and how much is hype.

Kittens!

5. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 11, 2013, 17:05 sauron

Big Blue looked pretty tasty last night. Cruz is still electric, the D line looked good, and Moore could be a big player - explosive speed and aggression. That was one heck of a block for a rookie. Still a long way to go, but very encouraging.

Having said that, two years ago I watched the Giants in the pre-season and thought they stank. They proceeded to win the Superbowl. Go figure.

Kittens!

55. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2013, 23:42 sauron

Pics on the front page are fine for me, if in moderation. And on the topic of moderation, just trust the instincts that have served you so well thus far and you will be fine.

I've been visiting since 2001 (I think), and this site is still my go to for gaming news. Keep the standards of journalism and moderation high and go to bat.

Also, live video streams of hobbit roasts and hauntings of old castles. The Mordor audience loves to click on online ads!

Kittens!

25. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2013, 12:42 sauron

Hoop wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 17:08:
Well thats the last time I'm googling breast rubs.
I have to go lie down.

LOL!

Hoop wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 17:56:
Julio wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 17:51:
Chicken breasts are terrible meat for flavor, I'd prefer to eat just about anything else.

I have to agree with this I prefer skinless boneless thighs for taste.

Now you need to google tasty thighs. I dare you!

Kittens!

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Queen's Jubilee Begins
2. Re: Guild Wars 2 Queen's Jubilee Begins Aug 6, 2013, 15:05 sauron

Yes, as a long-time MMO player, this game has a lot going for it but there's just not enough content to keep me hooked over the longer term. I'll go back to it when they release a major expansion, but these updates just aren't enough - I'm done with them in like 1-2 evenings.

Instead, I've gone back to LOTRO. Now there's a game with lots and lots of content, deep gameplay, and an incredible storyline backed by Tolkien's books. And amazingly, it doesn't feel like a grind. Loving it.

Kittens!

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2013, 11:15 sauron

I finished the content in GW2 (finally), and was all set to finally play some of the games I bought in the Steam sale over the last couple of years.

Then I logged back in to LOTRO to say hi to some buddies and have now been playing it non-stop for 3 days. It's really, really good - much better than I remember. Looks like Turbine have been polishing the gameplay for all of the last three years.

MMOs, man - they're an addiction. I can kiss my plan to play through Skyrim good-bye. But on the upside, I rediscovered a gem.

Kittens!

News Comments > Ashes Cricket 2013 Delayed
2. Re: Ashes Cricket 2013 Delayed Jul 29, 2013, 13:35 sauron

to coincide with the second test series between English and Australia. They say the game was originally to be released this month to go along with the first test series, but...

Fixed! Each series consists of five test matches, each of which lasts for 5 full days. The first series is in England, the second will be in Australia. The Ashes series is one of the oldest events in world cricket, and dates from 1882.

One of the benefits of having a match played over 5 days is that momentum can shift back and forth many times during the game. Honestly, it makes from very gripping viewing - like the MLB playoffs only longer.

And yes, like all self-respecting literary and movie villains, Sauron is a Brit.

Kittens!

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 27, 2013, 15:13 sauron

Is anyone else picking up the buzz surrounding the reworked version of FFXIV? It got nominated by a bunch of sites as best MMO in show at E3. I was really surprised - had written it off months ago. Here's a link:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/06/20/ask-massively-the-best-and-worst-of-e3/

Anyone tried the beta, or have a spare beta key? I know there are only a few foolhardy souls that enjoy MMOs here at Blue's, but I'm definitely one of them.

Kittens!

News Comments > Steam Top 10
27. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 24, 2013, 15:11 sauron

nin wrote on Jun 23, 2013, 16:37:
It is insane how much that game has sold. I wish they'd release numbers

I agree. Would love to see those...

Same here. I just started playing it.

Kittens!

1476 Comments. 74 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo