Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for sauron

Real Name sauron   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description God of death, destruction and decay. Likes fluffy kittens.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 15, 2001, 03:31
Total Comments 1436 (Pro)
User ID 8692

User comment history
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

News Comments > Legend of Grimrock
13. Re: Legend of Grimrock Aug 26, 2011, 14:41 sauron

reisub wrote on Aug 26, 2011, 14:13:
sauron wrote on Aug 26, 2011, 13:15:
I'll be getting this for sure. Really interesting.
That's a bold statement. Based on one trailer, or have you been following it?

Eh, bold schmold. I don't buy many games anymore - the last one was Fallout 3 during last month's Steam sale ($9.99) and the one before that... I can't even remember. Maybe the old copy of Far Cry I got for $3 in a thrift store earlier in the summer.

However, sometimes you just got to take a flyer on a really good idea. And this is going to be one of those times.

Kittens!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Razer Blade Gaming Laptop Announced
15. Re: Razer Blade Gaming Laptop Announced Aug 26, 2011, 14:36 sauron

For that amount of money you could buy 560 copies of Deus Ex and send them to all your buddies on bluesnews *hint hint*.  

Kittens!

News Comments > Legend of Grimrock
11. Re: Legend of Grimrock Aug 26, 2011, 13:15 sauron

This looks really fun, real throwback type gameplay but with updated graphics.

I'll be getting this for sure. Really interesting.

Kittens!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
33. Re: Out of the Blue - WC 1 & 2 Aug 25, 2011, 21:34 sauron

Creston wrote on Aug 25, 2011, 21:22:
nin wrote on Aug 25, 2011, 18:23:

I replayed Wing Commander 3 a few years ago, and it held up. Graphics were pretty basic, but it is completely 3D,

I'd love to see them trot out Prophecy. Can't remember if it had a d3d render or not though. I know it did glide.

I don't think it did D3D, no. Glide or software. So they'd have to either create a glide emulator, or rewrite the whole renderer.

Sucks, because I'd love to replay WC 3 and 4. My WC 3 disks died at one point, it seemed like they had like condensation underneath the plastic or something. Wouldn't read anymore. I was absolutely fucking crushed when that happened.

Creston

Glide-only should be fine these days. Independence War is also Glide-native with no D3D options whatsoever, and GOG released a fully playable (and rather beautiful) D3D version of it last year. The wrappers have come a long way and are very hardware-forgiving these days to the point of transparency.

I actually built a Glide box back in 2004 mainly for IWar. Initially with a GeForce and pass-through to a Voodoo2 (I think), and then to a full-on Voodoo5 AGP card. Then the wrappers arrived and I stored all the parts. Still got the V5, box and all.

Kittens!

14. Re: Mike Flanagan Aug 25, 2011, 12:29 sauron

nin wrote on Aug 25, 2011, 11:11:
8 Terrible Levels in Great Games.

Xen - Thank you! Hated ...

Seconded. By the way, there's a truly awful typo in that article, in the Xen section. It reads:

8 Terrible Levels in Great Games wrote:
Gone are the NPCs whose goofy dialogue and horrific deaths were a constant source of brevity.

That should read levity! Those goons just called Barney a shortass!

Kittens!

5. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 25, 2011, 11:04 sauron

Blue wrote on Aug 25, 2011:
Wow! Just... wow. GOG.com is now offering Wing Commander 1+2, updated to play on modern computers.

GOG also just released Dungeon Keeper 2: http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/dungeon_keeper_2

I may have to pick that one up. As we here in Barad-Du^r know all too well, it's good to be bad, mwahaha.

Kittens!

News Comments > Steve Jobs Resigns
58. Re: Steve Jobs Resigns Aug 25, 2011, 10:42 sauron

*double post* - sorry  

Kittens!

News Comments > Steve Jobs Resigns
57. Re: Steve Jobs Resigns Aug 25, 2011, 10:41 sauron

nin wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 20:20:
I'm not a fan of Steve, but I wouldn't wish cancer on anyone. The fact that he's stepped aside makes me wonder if he got bad news...

The chances of beating that cancer are slim to none. They got rid of the primary tumor and the metastases in the liver, which required a full transplant. But the cancer will have spread, either locally (peritoneal cavity) or distantly (bone, lungs, brain).

With cancers like that, you don't survive them, you just slow them down. If you can lower the rate of growth down to where you get to a normal life expectancy and die of something else, you win. But they never go away.

Kittens!

News Comments > GameStop Stops Selling Physical Copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution
26. Re: GameStop Stops Selling Physical Copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 25, 2011, 08:45 sauron

Deus Ex won't sell many physical copies, but Final Fantasy console titles sell by the truckload, and Square Enix also produces and publishes those.

If I was SE, I'd put together two versions of the next FF title. One version with just the base game, for sale at Gamestop. And a second version, with an extra set of quests, rainbow colored chocobo to ride on, and a loli NPC companion, for sale everywhere else. Then let the Gamestop copies rot on the shelves.

Kittens!

News Comments > GameStop Stops Selling Physical Copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution
2. Re: GameStop Stops Selling Physical Copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 24, 2011, 20:22 sauron

Hmm. Gamestop - fading high street retailer with a poor reputation and limited resources. Square Enix - historically one of the world's largest game publishers, albeit with a shaky recent history.

If I had to put my money on one set of lawyers? Probably SE. Suspect they don't exactly cut any corners. Just heads.

Kittens!

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Retail Includes OnLive
58. Re: Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 23, 2011, 20:29 sauron

Quboid wrote on Aug 23, 2011, 15:20:
While you suckers play Human Revolution, I'm going to play the original Deus Ex with updated textures until Friday.

Suck it bitches!

'I spilled my dreenk!' For some reason I can never get that line out of my head when thinking of the original.

Got the sequel in here somewhere but never had the inclination to fire it up. Probably never will now, since HR is clearly preferable.

Kittens!

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Retail Includes OnLive
21. Re: Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 23, 2011, 14:14 sauron

Hopefully this will help Square Enix's balance sheet this quarter.

Hopefully they won't sink the profits into the giant oozing cesspit that is FFXIV.

Kittens!

News Comments > LucasArts Open-World RPG Plans
4. Re: LucasArts Open-World RPG Plans Aug 23, 2011, 12:43 sauron

Jonny wrote on Aug 23, 2011, 12:27:
Damn it Lucasarts. Take Privateer, merge it with Tie Fighter. Merge the resulting space awesome with plenty of running around on ships and stations.

Mmmmmmmm, TIE Fighter MMO..... *drooling*

Kittens!

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Reviews
14. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Reviews Aug 22, 2011, 15:43 sauron

The protagonist looks like one of the goths that used to hang around the Hammersmith Clarendon circa 1986. And yes, I really am that old.

However, that's my only gripe. The game seems like it will be very fun.

Kittens!

News Comments > Duke Reboot Planned?
10. Re: Duke Reboot Planned? Aug 22, 2011, 12:51 sauron

Jerykk wrote on Aug 22, 2011, 12:25:
So a reboot for Duke would be what? Duke is a bouncer and aliens invade... so he fights them? IE, no world-reknowned hero status yet.

Pretty much.

Alternatively, he was a sensitive 120lb philosopher, artiste and poet who was exposed to horrific scenes of alien brutality, carnage, bloodshed and daytime soapoperas. And a bizarre and enormous transplant of a rather personal nature...

One bad haircut and several hundered kilos of anabolics later, the legend begins!

<<OK, this is now officially the Duke backstory thread. Ideas please. ^^>>

Kittens!

News Comments > Duke Reboot Planned?
3. Re: Duke Reboot Planned? Aug 22, 2011, 11:55 sauron

J wrote on Aug 22, 2011, 11:44:
Due date: Second quarter, 2026.

Damn, beat me to it.

Kittens!

12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 22, 2011, 10:02 sauron

Bhruic wrote on Aug 22, 2011, 09:59:
By the way, anyone else here playing Fitocracy?

http://www.xkcd.org/940/

Heh, yeah I saw that one. There are also no entries for conjuring foul spirits, torturing hobbits, or spreading disease, pestilence and woe.

Honestly, laying waste to the lands of men should at least count as a cardio workout.

Kittens!

9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 22, 2011, 09:48 sauron

My cat would totally do that if we had the DVD player set low enough for him to get at it. Cats are so fun.

By the way, anyone else here playing Fitocracy? It's a RL MMO where you get experience points, quests and achievements for working out. Was started by some ex-Everquest junkies. I did a gym session and cycled 12 miles yesterday, and reached level 3.

It's over at http://www.fitocracy.com/ . Currently in beta but folks here can hit me up via PM if you want an invite.

Kittens!

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Launch Sales Limited; Huttball Introduced
20. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Launch Sales Limited Huttball Introduced Aug 19, 2011, 15:50 sauron

Also, that Huttball reminded me a lot of Unreal Tournament CTF, so maybe I'll just play that instead.  

Kittens!

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Launch Sales Limited; Huttball Introduced
19. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Launch Sales Limited Huttball Introduced Aug 19, 2011, 15:49 sauron

Eh, it looks kinda fun. However, on the Venn diagram showing Star Wars fans and MMO fans, the intersecting area contains some serious nutjobs. Something to think about when considering a quality online experience.

Then again, the population of Final Fantasy fans that are also MMO fans contains even more nutjobs, and I played that game for 6 years straight.

Kittens!

1436 Comments. 72 pages. Viewing page 29.
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo