Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for sauron

Real Name sauron   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description God of death, destruction and decay. Likes fluffy kittens.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 15, 2001, 03:31
Total Comments 1442 (Pro)
User ID 8692

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts
77. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 23, 2012, 08:48 sauron

Zadig wrote on May 23, 2012, 05:43:
After the failure of all the previous 'AAA' licensed WoWclones - Conan, Lotro, Warhammer, etc - it was obvious this was a really bad idea, but I'm glad that didn't stop Bioware from flushing a few hundred million dollars down the toilet to prove it.

Not sure I'd put LOTRO in with those others. Having played a few of them it's the only one that stands out as having a different dynamic and some appreciable depth. And they're still expanding it - Isengard was released recently and Rohan is up next. And the fact my handle on here is Sauron has nothing to do with it *wink*.

But overall, I do agree with you. By this point, everyone's played WoW to the point where they're sick of it. Rather than serve up yet more of the same, developers and their publishers should be looking for the next big thing.

Kittens!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Interview
15. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Interview May 22, 2012, 19:50 sauron

Cutter wrote on May 22, 2012, 01:21:
Just put the effort into a co-op version of TES for groups of up to 6 people and that's all anyone could ask for.

I could go for that, instanced Skyrim for up to 6 players co-op plus a central hub would be totally fine. Assuming no cliff racers.

Kittens!

23. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 19:30 sauron

RollinThundr wrote on May 22, 2012, 19:27:
sauron wrote on May 22, 2012, 19:20:
CJ_Parker wrote on May 22, 2012, 19:18:
Is this really the best you got? Come on, at least try.

Sure, I could do that as well but why bother? It would just end up with a red *removed* text thanks to you NAZI GESTAPO forum police.

Go ahead. I dare you. If you don't, I'll assume you can't.

Also, be entertaining, not profane. The latter is not a substitute for the former.

Game on, baby. Give it your best shot. Also, try to use words of more than one syllable.

Jesus Christ sauron what are you 12?

College professor, actually, but baiting trolls is ageless and timeless. It's the sport of kings.

Kittens!

20. removed May 22, 2012, 19:20 sauron

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on May 22, 2012, 20:32.

Kittens!

16. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 19:11 sauron

CJ_Parker wrote on May 22, 2012, 19:03:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on May 22, 2012, 18:47:
To say the least. Nothing like hoping for a bunch of people to be out of work just because you don't like a product. Maybe one day he'll get laid off and a bunch of people will laugh at him for it. It'd be fitting.

Maybe next year when you enter elementary school your reading comprehension will improve. Because I said nothing about "hoping for a bunch of people to be out of work", ya know? I'm hoping for this game to fail just like it deserves. The people can fuck off and go work on some other EA/BioWare piece of shit game... I don't give a fuck. I ain't hoping for anything in that regard.

Also, reported this post for lack of intelligence. Nevermind multiple uses of the word 'fuck' in a single sentence, the braindead content makes my neurons hurt just reading it.

Is this really the best you got? Come on, at least try.

Kittens!

15. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 19:05 sauron

CJ_Parker wrote on May 22, 2012, 19:03:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on May 22, 2012, 18:47:
To say the least. Nothing like hoping for a bunch of people to be out of work just because you don't like a product. Maybe one day he'll get laid off and a bunch of people will laugh at him for it. It'd be fitting.

Maybe next year when you enter elementary school your reading comprehension will improve. Because I said nothing about "hoping for a bunch of people to be out of work", ya know? I'm hoping for this game to fail just like it deserves. The people can fuck off and go work on some other EA/BioWare piece of shit game... I don't give a fuck. I ain't hoping for anything in that regard.

And we don't give the same about anything you say. Watch your language, or better still, go away.

Bye now.

Kittens!

12. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 19:03 sauron

eunichron wrote on May 22, 2012, 18:36:
1badmf wrote on May 22, 2012, 18:22:
as much as I've loved star wars all my life, this last desperate attempt to shove mediocrity down our throats and have us shit out money for them had to fail for the MMO Genre to move on and evolve. I said so many a time when I was in early closed beta, hoping it was early enough that they could at least try to implement a few creative design choices. but of course the message was ignored when all they could see were the dollar signs WoW was raking in.

i suppose that comes with a built-in fear of experimentation, but any objective fan of MMOs at the time could see the writing on the wall - the WOW formula was dying, and the next attempt at it would likely be the saturation point of exhaustion for the market, leading to failure of said attempt. i don't know what the design evolution of MMOs should be, but please no more WOW clones.

I think, in general, the message has gotten across. With the rave press that Guild Wars 2 is getting, the flop of SW:TOR, and the lukewarm press and customer reaction that WoW: Mists of Pandaria is getting (I still keep in touch with some of my old WoW guildmates that play, and all of them in the beta are saying it's the worst expansion by far), it's pretty clear that MMORPG players want something new, and currently the only game offering it is GW2. Sucks if you're looking for something Star Wars related, but hopefully the message is clear to developers and the next Star Wars MMO won't just be another get rich quick scheme.

I could go for some GW2 right about now. WoW is kind of long in the tooth, and my old favorite FFXI is really, really lacking in new content. I'm currently enjoying LOTRO a lot, see how that goes but a new dimension for us MMO addicts is way overdue.

A shame nobody made T'Rain (only Neal Stephenson fans will get that one).

Kittens!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue May 18, 2012, 15:13 sauron

nin wrote on May 18, 2012, 10:23:
Oh, and just remember: no matter what happens you'll have thousands of complete strangers (some of them with borderline stalker tendencies) who still love you!

nin, does your van have enough gas to get all the way out to California? Maybe we should take up a collection.

Kittens!

News Comments > Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend
69. Re: Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend May 18, 2012, 15:10 sauron

xXBatmanXx wrote on May 18, 2012, 15:07:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on May 18, 2012, 14:58:
Apparently the TL2 login servers are stressed out at the moment :-/

Mission accomplished!

Careful.....there are people that will claim all sorts of things, like scaling, bandwidth problems, bla bla bla...... I can only imagine if TL2 got the hate that D3 is getting....heheheh

The problems with the TL2 servers are because it's always-online.

Owait...

Kittens!

68. Re: Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend May 18, 2012, 15:09 sauron

eunichron wrote on May 18, 2012, 14:59:
Cartoony, childish, graphics. Bland, trite, skills and skill trees. Unimaginative character classes. Hopefully they've fixed some of that for TL2.

Sounds like WoW, so it should make an enormous profit.

I can see where you're coming from though. Most of the time, I too go for deep, immersive RPGs with realistic graphics. But some of the time, TL just fits the bill perfectly. I have no idea why.

Kittens!

11. Re: Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend May 18, 2012, 10:52 sauron

nin wrote on May 18, 2012, 10:18:
Dear god, my mouse won't be able to take all the abuse from this clicking...

I'm in the middle of Torchlight 1 right now and boy is it great! I'll definitely be buying the sequel.

My character is a Marksman Rogue with a pet lynx that has Drain HP and Drain Mana items. I shoot them, he eats them.

Just ridiculously fun.

Kittens!

36. Re: Diablo, or Skyrim, or what? May 16, 2012, 18:46 sauron

jdreyer wrote on May 16, 2012, 17:22:
The family is going on vacation for a couple of weeks and leaving me home by myself (work). So, I'll have lots of free time. So, what am I gonna play?

Even though I really enjoyed the Diablo series, the always-online requirement for D3 really rankled me, even though I enjoyed the beta test. From the difficulties, it sounds like I won't be picking that one up.

I have both Skyrim and Deus Ex unplayed in my Steam queue. Anything else people can recommend? I'm more of a single player guy than multi, although I was thinking of trying out Tribes.

I have DX in my queue as well but am itching to try out Skyrim. Should have bought it last weekend on sale but it was our anniversary so the money went on a really nice meal instead.

I'd go for Skyrim or (if you don't have it already) Torchlight. Picked that up for $4.99 in a Steam sale and boy is it good.

Kittens!

24. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2012, 15:31 sauron

Verno wrote on May 16, 2012, 15:25:
You started off by saying you disagree and then reiterated my point.

I did not say that Blizzard is free of criticism. I simply stated that in this day and age it is proven that there is more disdain for EA than Blizzard.

I was kind of amalgamating both yours and Creston's comments in my reply. I don't doubt that there is more "disdain" for EA than Blizzard but in this case I feel like Blizzard isn't getting any big concessions from most people about the outages so I'm not sure why the distinction matters. They're even getting the same internet meme treatment

Difficult to be objective here, mainly because it's hard to measure disdain. Let's see. Sneers per Minute? Wrinkled Noses per m2?

However, using the most objective measurement possible under these circumstances, I did find there were significantly more Farts in the General Direction of EA than Blizzard (*P<0.05).

Even accounting for the Heinz (beans) correction.

Kittens!

22. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2012, 15:20 sauron

Blue wrote on May 16, 2012, 09:38:
Got to play a bit more Diablo III last night with my pal MrKawfy, as we dueled both the monsters of hell and the server outages from hell. The game is loads of fun, but the connectivity woes did nothing to discourage the idea that requiring a persistent connection for a single-player game is an absolutely terrible idea from the player's perspective.

I was reading Penny Arcade just now, and they summed this up perfectly:

Requiring that players be online is one thing - but we are! We’re online right now! They’re the ones who aren’t online. Who watches the watchmen?!?!

Kittens!

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Diablo III
208. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 20:12 sauron

I picked up Torchlight 1 for $4.99 in the Steam Xmas sale and have to admit it's absolutely great. I'll wait for the Diablo III issues to settle down and then pick it up.

I still have to play D2, actually, so might try that first.

Kittens!

24. Re: Facts you might not know about game of thrones May 15, 2012, 16:06 sauron

PHJF wrote on May 14, 2012, 21:54:
Port of what? It's been out on Steam for the past month.

Android port - for those of us that like to play RPGs on tablets while lying on the sofa with a cold one (or in bed). Idleness ftw.

Kittens!

18. Re: Facts you might not know about game of thrones May 14, 2012, 21:08 sauron

PHJF wrote on May 14, 2012, 20:49:
Avernum: Escape From The Pit is about 10x better than Avadon.

Nice, looks like there's a port of that planned too. Will finish Avadon and then pick it up. :-)

Kittens!

News Comments > SQUARE ENIX Results
16. Re: SQUARE ENIX Results May 14, 2012, 20:39 sauron

SimplyMonk wrote on May 14, 2012, 14:46:
sauron wrote on May 14, 2012, 14:25:
Pretty much the entire FFXI community left to go to FFXIV when it came out, took one look at it and went straight back to XI (me included).

Is the re-tuning they are doing with FFXIV making any headway with the community? I just got an e-mail about their welcome back campaign, but haven't had the time to give it a look yet.

I'm not really sure and suspect not. The game was so half-baked on release it was almost totally raw. It needed like 3 years' work to be even reasonably decent.

Sadly, I doubt any game gets that kind of leeway in today's market.

Kittens!

15. Re: Facts you might not know about game of thrones May 14, 2012, 20:37 sauron

Folks are probably all tied up with GW2 and D3, but has anyone here tried Avadon? Review is here:

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Avadon_The_Black_Fortress/index.html

Old-school deep RPG with lots of story, a bit like playing tabletop D&D. There's also an Android (and I guess iPad) app for it.

Very recommended - I'm really enjoying it a lot. Like playing Baldur's Gate while lying in bed.

Kittens!

11. Re: Facts you might not know about game of thrones May 14, 2012, 14:35 sauron

nin wrote on May 14, 2012, 11:39:
British WWII fighter found in Egyptian desert.

That's a neat story...reminds me of this one from a few weeks ago.

Yes, amazing it survived that long, the desert sure is dry. And I was going to say it was an american-built plane (P-40 kittyhawk) but the article mentioned it already.

The earlier article about buried Spitfires is even more amazing - hope they dig them up soon!

Kittens!

1442 Comments. 73 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo