Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for sauron

Real Name sauron   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description God of death, destruction and decay. Likes fluffy kittens.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 15, 2001, 03:31
Total Comments 1433 (Pro)
User ID 8692

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Spector Calls Out Carmack & Sweeney
27. Re: Spector Calls Out Carmack & Sweeney Aug 17, 2012, 10:45 sauron

Prez wrote on Aug 16, 2012, 11:29:
I actually agree with Spector's main point (though it appears he doesn't quite understand what John Carmack's job has actually been all this time)...

I do as well, and from other posts in this thread it seems I'm not the only one. The best games I've played have been ones with a deep story and believable characters and NPCs. I think a lot of people also feel that way.

The problem with id software is that they have an ace programmer who designs engines, but then they use the new toy to make the same game they made 5 years previously, only shinier. That's why RAGE sucked.

If someone were to take Carmack's work and uses it to add polish to a game with a deep story and excellent AI, it would sell bucketloads. But id never do that - they don't have anyone as talented with game design as Carmack is with engine design.

Bethesda is probably the only mainstream game design outfit I've seen that talk about AI and seem to make a real effort with it. No accident their games sell so many copies. People love the immersion in their designs, and interesting and believable characters are a big part of that.

This comment was edited on Aug 17, 2012, 10:52.

Kittens!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > New AMD/ATI Drivers
11. Re: New AMD/ATI Drivers Aug 16, 2012, 09:49 sauron

jdreyer wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 23:27:
25% for Skyrim seems kind of unbelievable, unless it was doing something a lot that AMD cards were optimized REALLY poorly for. I'd love to hear a technical explanation as to why they were able to up the perf that much.

I have Skyrim but haven't loaded it up yet. I sure hope Bethesda has savvied up in their rendering code since Morrowind. That game rendered the entire scene you were in, even when you couldn't see parts of it.

Kittens!

News Comments > Divinity Prototypes Missing; Reward Offered
15. Re: Divinity Prototypes Missing; Reward Offered Aug 16, 2012, 09:42 sauron

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 23:35:
With arcade shooter thing I mean jetpacks strapped on dragons, how is that not arcade shooter? I don't much like joke-fantasy unless it's extremely well done, and jetpacks strapped on dragons ain't it.

Did they have laser beams strapped to their heads? If there was a game with dragons that had jetpacks AND laser beams, I'd buy it instantly.

Kittens!

News Comments > Train Simulator 2013 Next Month
7. Re: Train Simulator 2013 Next Month Aug 15, 2012, 14:41 sauron

If they hook it up with Farming Simulator 2012, you could watch all your livestock grow and then drive them to market yourself! And when they bring out Abattoir Simulator 2012, you'll also be able to... ok lets not go there...

Kittens!

News Comments > Farming Simulator 2013
3. Re: Farming Simulator 2013 Aug 15, 2012, 10:50 sauron

Hmm, growing 2000 hectares of virtual Cannabis indica sounds pretty entertaining. Royal Kush or Malawi Gold?

I wonder if you can get busted by the virtual DEA?

Kittens!

News Comments > Epic Forms Impossible Studios from Big Huge Ashes
12. Re: Epic Forms Impossible Studios from Big Huge Ashes Aug 9, 2012, 22:19 sauron

Prez wrote on Aug 9, 2012, 19:23:
A developer making iOS games may as well be dead as far as I'm concerned, but the key thing in this case is that Epic did a good thing here. These guys woukd be out of work were it not for Epic. Who knows - having all that PC gaming talent close at hand may convince them to fund these guys so they can do a PC game down the road.

Prez, no offense but this is not true - growth in iOS/Android games is huge and the audience is enormous, but most of the titles currently available are super-casual. Believe me, I've tried most of them.

If these folks can produce a compelling title for mobile platforms that includes serious gamers, it'll sell bucketloads and they'll be heroes.

For example, if there was a really great, gritty hardcore RPG for iOS/Android, fans would be all over it, but that space is currently a blank canvas.

Killer RPG app for mobile platforms? Go go go!!

Kittens!

News Comments > Crytek Shanghai Opens
18. Re: Crytek Shanghai Opens Aug 8, 2012, 21:17 sauron

Are you guys all living in the 1990s? Cause I have 2 Chinese kids working for me right now from the mainland (ie not HK or Taiwan) and they're incredibly smart and well-educated. And in my field, one of the real heavy hitter biotech companies just relocated all of their R&D from the UK to Shanghai. Not to lower costs, but because chinese universities are producing so much talent, the better to get things done.

I visited China in 94 and yep, it sure was backward then, but things have really, really changed. And no, I'm not Asian, or married to one. That's just the way things are now.

Kittens!

News Comments > Heavy Gear Returning
2. Re: Heavy Gear Returning Aug 8, 2012, 21:11 sauron

HG1 was freaking great, but for some reason I never got into the sequel. If they get a remake right, there are a lot of fans out there.

It's a similar situation to Mechwarrior or maybe Tribes, although the current iteration of the latter seems to have hit the nail on the head and the fans love it. Hard to do though.

Kittens!

News Comments > MS TMs Galactic Reign
12. Re: MS TMs Galactic Reign Aug 7, 2012, 18:42 sauron

nin wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 15:26:
sauron wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 14:49:
sauron wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 14:45:
I don't even remember the last MS game that was worth playing. Combat Flight Simulator 2? Crimson Skies?

Oh, by the way, thanks to nin for this link:

Crimson Skies redone

Score!

Damn! You got me all excited THAT kickstarter had started!!!!

Haha, your link originally got ME all excited that a kickstarter had started!

To quote a famous beagle, 'He who lives by the lob, dies the lob.'

Kittens!

10. Re: MS TMs Galactic Reign Aug 7, 2012, 14:49 sauron

sauron wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 14:45:
I don't even remember the last MS game that was worth playing. Combat Flight Simulator 2? Crimson Skies?

Oh, by the way, thanks to nin for this link:

Crimson Skies redone

Score!

Kittens!

8. Re: MS TMs Galactic Reign Aug 7, 2012, 14:45 sauron

Kittens!

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Aug 7, 2012, 14:25 sauron

I thought Valve themselves redid HL1 on the Source engine? I even have a copy of it somewhere as part of the HL2 GOTY pack. Am I imagining things again?  

Kittens!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2012, 14:20 sauron

I used to hate Dell because of their hopeless outsourced tech support. I once had a laptop from them that arrived with a faulty GPU fan, and the first gentleman in tech support I spoke to told me to flash the system BIOS. The second person, a lady, spoke no English and simply hung up on me. I replaced the fan myself and it worked just fine forever after.

However, Dell completely replaced their tech support around 3 years ago, and now it's handled by scarily efficient middle Europeans (Czech/Pole/Slovak?). The last couple of times I called in, they either helped me fix the problem right there, immediately dispatched a tech, or simply RMA'd the whole unit. Very impressive.

Plus the mobile Precision workstation I bought from them recently is an absolute monster - fantastic performance and completely stable. Nice turnaround.

Kittens!

21. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2012, 19:54 sauron

jdreyer wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 18:45:
In my experience (Mom's a champion breeder, so we always had 7-8 dogs in the house growing up) is that you MUST clean the urine with undiluted ammonia to eliminate the smell, or they'll detect their own mark and remark. The ammonia destroys the organic chemicals that the dog leaves behind. At this point, you'd have to move the stove and clean the floor under it I'd say.

Seconded - forgot all about this aspect. Definitely worth adding to the plan, and bleach is cheap.

Kittens!

17. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2012, 17:26 sauron

nin wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 16:38:
He also consumes huge amounts of water and must be rationed.

Keep an eye on that as he gets older. I had a cat who, in the last years of her life, began drinking a lot of water and losing weight. Ended up being diabetes (which was treatable).

Yes, it can also indicate kidney failure in older animals, especially cats, whereas losing weight and eating a lot usually indicates hyperthyroidism. Also both very manageable. Cats seem to have a number of inbuilt design faults, even before you get to their lack of basic survival skills.

But yeah, in young animals it's often just a habit. Makes them pee buckets though, which is kind of annoying.

Kittens!

12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2012, 15:47 sauron

Blue wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 14:41:
sauron wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 13:39:
This behavior is male territoriality (try saying that after 2 pints of beer!), so I'm assuming he's entire?

In a younger dog, getting him fixed might solve the problem, but in older males like the Gunnar-man it probably won't help - too late for it to make a significant difference.

He is, as they like to say "intact." I've seen it argued both ways whether this contributes to the tendency to mark, but most seem to agree that it does, which also seems the intuitive answer. But even those who feel that neutering helps with marking seem to agree that by the time he's all grown up this horse is out of the barn, so while we may be tempted to castrate him as a punishment, it doesn't sound like it will solve our issue.

Yes, neutering wouldn't help at all at his age.

If it were me, I'd use judicious use of the word 'No' while showing him the 'incident' so he knows the context. I also mentioned before you can combine this with a gentle smack with a rolled-up sheet of paper/newspaper. The latter is just to make noise, for reinforcement of the message.

Hopefully, he gets it eventually. Good luck!

Kittens!

News Comments > Final Fantasy VII PC Released and Pulled
18. Re: Final Fantasy VII PC Released and Pulled Aug 6, 2012, 15:38 sauron

SimplyMonk wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 14:13:
Rattlehead wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 13:50:
sauron wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 11:40:
Steele Johnson wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 11:04:
Looks like they're off to a good start lol

They need to put it on Steam. FFXI is already there and has been a big success with fans. Lots of new players on the servers.
Really? I loved FFXI back when in the day, I played it like crazy. But the thought of starting a new character and everyone else is level 99 scares me. I remember I would sit around hours waiting for a group, and I was a red mage.

Ugh. Red Mage here as well. I remember waiting forever for a group, finally getting one, wiping first pull or some moron fishing up a monster during a pull and deleveling. Boo.

They've learned a lot about job balance and game dynamics. Most leveling these days is done in big groups that form quite quickly via shout. Going 1-17 is done solo, while 17-30 happens in casual alliances where levels are synced together. 30-99 go really fast, using 18-person rolling alliances in new Abyssea zones. You can do 30-55 in 2-3 hours, and 90-99 in about 4 hours. There are also usually alliances rolling through various zones, and you can send the leaders an invite request.

The raised level cap also means you can go back and solo missions from previous expansions once you hit 99, or just take a couple of friends. The previous expansions were aimed at level 75 players so you can blow right through them. The whole game is a lot more casual-friendly.

Finally, if you had a character at any point, especially in the last 4-5 years, there's a decent chance it can now be recovered so long as you didn't completely delete everything. I was able to grab mine in late 2011 and hadn't played since early 2010.

Kittens!

9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2012, 13:39 sauron

This behavior is male territoriality (try saying that after 2 pints of beer!), so I'm assuming he's entire?

In a younger dog, getting him fixed might solve the problem, but in older males like the Gunnar-man it probably won't help - too late for it to make a significant difference.

Kittens!

News Comments > Final Fantasy VII PC Released and Pulled
6. Re: Final Fantasy VII PC Released and Pulled Aug 6, 2012, 11:40 sauron

Steele Johnson wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 11:04:
Looks like they're off to a good start lol

They need to put it on Steam. FFXI is already there and has been a big success with fans. Lots of new players on the servers.

Kittens!

10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2012, 14:54 sauron

Blue wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 11:26:
She also had a recommendation for the Gunnar-man's peeing everywhere, even though this is marking, not medical, as there is a product called the "belly band" that basically serves as a diaper for this, trapping the pee against his skin. Hopefully this will provide the same sort of negative reinforcement as a crate that will make him not want to do this because it means walking around in a wet belly band,

Good news!

If the band doesn't work, there's always a rolled-up newspaper. Tested (extensively) on hobbits, also effective on wargs and goblins.

Kittens!

1433 Comments. 72 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo