Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for sauron

Real Name sauron   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description God of death, destruction and decay. Likes fluffy kittens.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 15, 2001, 03:31
Total Comments 1421 (Pro)
User ID 8692

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2012, 14:20 sauron

I used to hate Dell because of their hopeless outsourced tech support. I once had a laptop from them that arrived with a faulty GPU fan, and the first gentleman in tech support I spoke to told me to flash the system BIOS. The second person, a lady, spoke no English and simply hung up on me. I replaced the fan myself and it worked just fine forever after.

However, Dell completely replaced their tech support around 3 years ago, and now it's handled by scarily efficient middle Europeans (Czech/Pole/Slovak?). The last couple of times I called in, they either helped me fix the problem right there, immediately dispatched a tech, or simply RMA'd the whole unit. Very impressive.

Plus the mobile Precision workstation I bought from them recently is an absolute monster - fantastic performance and completely stable. Nice turnaround.

Kittens!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2012, 19:54 sauron

jdreyer wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 18:45:
In my experience (Mom's a champion breeder, so we always had 7-8 dogs in the house growing up) is that you MUST clean the urine with undiluted ammonia to eliminate the smell, or they'll detect their own mark and remark. The ammonia destroys the organic chemicals that the dog leaves behind. At this point, you'd have to move the stove and clean the floor under it I'd say.

Seconded - forgot all about this aspect. Definitely worth adding to the plan, and bleach is cheap.

Kittens!

17. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2012, 17:26 sauron

nin wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 16:38:
He also consumes huge amounts of water and must be rationed.

Keep an eye on that as he gets older. I had a cat who, in the last years of her life, began drinking a lot of water and losing weight. Ended up being diabetes (which was treatable).

Yes, it can also indicate kidney failure in older animals, especially cats, whereas losing weight and eating a lot usually indicates hyperthyroidism. Also both very manageable. Cats seem to have a number of inbuilt design faults, even before you get to their lack of basic survival skills.

But yeah, in young animals it's often just a habit. Makes them pee buckets though, which is kind of annoying.

Kittens!

12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2012, 15:47 sauron

Blue wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 14:41:
sauron wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 13:39:
This behavior is male territoriality (try saying that after 2 pints of beer!), so I'm assuming he's entire?

In a younger dog, getting him fixed might solve the problem, but in older males like the Gunnar-man it probably won't help - too late for it to make a significant difference.

He is, as they like to say "intact." I've seen it argued both ways whether this contributes to the tendency to mark, but most seem to agree that it does, which also seems the intuitive answer. But even those who feel that neutering helps with marking seem to agree that by the time he's all grown up this horse is out of the barn, so while we may be tempted to castrate him as a punishment, it doesn't sound like it will solve our issue.

Yes, neutering wouldn't help at all at his age.

If it were me, I'd use judicious use of the word 'No' while showing him the 'incident' so he knows the context. I also mentioned before you can combine this with a gentle smack with a rolled-up sheet of paper/newspaper. The latter is just to make noise, for reinforcement of the message.

Hopefully, he gets it eventually. Good luck!

Kittens!

News Comments > Final Fantasy VII PC Released and Pulled
18. Re: Final Fantasy VII PC Released and Pulled Aug 6, 2012, 15:38 sauron

SimplyMonk wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 14:13:
Rattlehead wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 13:50:
sauron wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 11:40:
Steele Johnson wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 11:04:
Looks like they're off to a good start lol

They need to put it on Steam. FFXI is already there and has been a big success with fans. Lots of new players on the servers.
Really? I loved FFXI back when in the day, I played it like crazy. But the thought of starting a new character and everyone else is level 99 scares me. I remember I would sit around hours waiting for a group, and I was a red mage.

Ugh. Red Mage here as well. I remember waiting forever for a group, finally getting one, wiping first pull or some moron fishing up a monster during a pull and deleveling. Boo.

They've learned a lot about job balance and game dynamics. Most leveling these days is done in big groups that form quite quickly via shout. Going 1-17 is done solo, while 17-30 happens in casual alliances where levels are synced together. 30-99 go really fast, using 18-person rolling alliances in new Abyssea zones. You can do 30-55 in 2-3 hours, and 90-99 in about 4 hours. There are also usually alliances rolling through various zones, and you can send the leaders an invite request.

The raised level cap also means you can go back and solo missions from previous expansions once you hit 99, or just take a couple of friends. The previous expansions were aimed at level 75 players so you can blow right through them. The whole game is a lot more casual-friendly.

Finally, if you had a character at any point, especially in the last 4-5 years, there's a decent chance it can now be recovered so long as you didn't completely delete everything. I was able to grab mine in late 2011 and hadn't played since early 2010.

Kittens!

9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2012, 13:39 sauron

This behavior is male territoriality (try saying that after 2 pints of beer!), so I'm assuming he's entire?

In a younger dog, getting him fixed might solve the problem, but in older males like the Gunnar-man it probably won't help - too late for it to make a significant difference.

Kittens!

News Comments > Final Fantasy VII PC Released and Pulled
6. Re: Final Fantasy VII PC Released and Pulled Aug 6, 2012, 11:40 sauron

Steele Johnson wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 11:04:
Looks like they're off to a good start lol

They need to put it on Steam. FFXI is already there and has been a big success with fans. Lots of new players on the servers.

Kittens!

10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2012, 14:54 sauron

Blue wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 11:26:
She also had a recommendation for the Gunnar-man's peeing everywhere, even though this is marking, not medical, as there is a product called the "belly band" that basically serves as a diaper for this, trapping the pee against his skin. Hopefully this will provide the same sort of negative reinforcement as a crate that will make him not want to do this because it means walking around in a wet belly band,

Good news!

If the band doesn't work, there's always a rolled-up newspaper. Tested (extensively) on hobbits, also effective on wargs and goblins.

Kittens!

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Aug 2, 2012, 21:47 sauron

Any news on teh d099135? Hoping they're ok.

Happy to help with veterinary input (albeit somewhat out of date in my case).

Kittens!

5. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2012, 12:17 sauron

Dirwulf wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 11:21:
Don't forget to bring a sample of his stool with you. No joke.

Good luck, and try to take a (fresh) sample with you for culture and microscopy. Although they'll probably try colitis therapy first.

Kittens!

News Comments > Microsoft Flight Grounded
43. Re: Microsoft Flight Grounded Aug 2, 2012, 10:34 sauron

Flatline wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 13:06:
If we're really lucky maybe this means we'll get a FS 11.

Or a remake of Combat Flight Simulator 2. Or even Crimson Skies. For some reason I loved both games.

Granted the latter isn't really a flight simulator, but it let you blow up zeppelins over tropical islands and so gets a free pass.

Kittens!

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2012, 12:26 sauron

nin wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 11:03:
Chin up, Blue!

Some of my pets get this problem as well.

Not so bad when it's a Warg, but when the Trolls go down with it we have to evacuate the Tower.

Kittens!

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2012, 14:08 sauron

I'm actually a qualified veterinarian although I now work in research in NYC. I hope this might help:

Blood in the stool can be a bad sign, especially in older dogs, but it usually isn't. The most common cause is colitis, which is an inflammation of the large bowel, often accompanied by looseness of the stool with or without mucus. It's usually treated with anti-inflammatories and antibiotics. Prognosis is good although it can be a recurrent problem in some breeds with a genetic predisposition. In a lot of cases, however, the cause is dietary indiscretion.

Alternatives could include worms, or bowel cancer. The latter is rare, and the former is really only seen in stray puppies.

Definitely get them checked by your vet, but I wouldn't panic just yet.

Kittens!

News Comments > Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September
61. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September Jul 27, 2012, 13:55 sauron

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 08:58:
NWN also had the worst OC's of all Bioware games, ever. I mean literally, ALL OC's, including expansions were HORRIBLE trite. There are very few community modules that are awesome, some are even grand. But it is telling that bioware does not even APPROACH the quality and writing density community modules have.

Well, I enjoyed Hordes of the Underdark, but the other two NWN OC did kind of suck. Finishing the first one was like drinking Bud Light - I mean, any beer is better than no beer but I'd much rather be drinking Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout.

I think the main reason to get the BG remake is to be able to play it on an Android pad or iPad while lying in bed. For $20, I could pony up for that.

Kittens!

News Comments > Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September
20. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September Jul 26, 2012, 22:53 sauron

I'd grab it for Android for sure, but already have the GOG version for PC.

Would love to try it on my Acer Android tablet - it runs a ton of other games beautifully. NVidia hardware plus Droid seems like a great gaming platform.

Kittens!

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2012, 21:51 sauron

I spent $70 in the sale but got 7 AAA titles for that:

Skyrim
Witcher 2
Empire Total War
Borderlands
Oblivion GOTY
Dragon Age
KOTOR

Should keep me going until the next Steam sale this winter, or,more probably next summer (plus still have to finish ME 2 and DXHR from the last sale). :-)

Kittens!

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Day Nine
28. Re: Steam Summer Sale Day Nine Jul 20, 2012, 21:19 sauron

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 20, 2012, 18:44:
It's almost like "Look, honey, Sally was just trying on that new dress when I came out of the shower, tripped over the carpet and accidentally landed on top of her.

Come back when you know what a girlfriend actually looks like and/or are old enough to have a bank account (mom's credit card doesn't count).

Anyone have any feedback on Magicka? I heard it's pretty good.

Kittens!

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Day Nine
17. Re: Steam Summer Sale Day Nine Jul 20, 2012, 18:27 sauron

I wonder why no Mass Effect games have been part of the daily/flash sales? Dragon Age showed up yesterday - same developer and publisher (and I grabbed it instantly).

I have ME2 (just started, it's great!) and was hoping to pick up ME1. It's currently at 50% ($10) but hasn't shown up as a daily special or anything.

I guess $10 is still a good price - will just pick it up for that.

Kittens!

News Comments > RuneScape Claims 200M Accounts
8. Re: RuneScape Claims 200M Accounts Jul 19, 2012, 21:17 sauron

13 year olds with nothing better to do the world over REJOICE!  

Kittens!

News Comments > On Sale
5. Re: On Sale Jul 19, 2012, 21:13 sauron

I got Dragon Age and Empire: Total War for $4.99 each on Steam today as flash sales (I think) and am very happy with those deals.

I had originally budgeted $50 for the sale and from that I picked up Skyrim and The Witcher 2, plus KOTOR 1. But today's deals were so good I decided to spring for another 10 smackaroos.

Well worth it - I'll be playing these until the winter sale comes around. Currently still playing Mass Effect 2 which I picked up in the last winter sale for under 10 dollars and it really is excellent.

Kittens!

1421 Comments. 72 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo