Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for sauron

Real Name sauron   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description God of death, destruction and decay. Likes fluffy kittens.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 15, 2001, 03:31
Total Comments 1433 (Pro)
User ID 8692

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Half-Life 3 A Shooter; Not Due Next Year: Shocking Report
26. Re: Half-Life 3 A Shooter; Not Due Next Year: Shocking Report Sep 20, 2012, 13:39 sauron

Wildone wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 11:49:
Whats more insulting is the french got this info first..

"There is nothing lower than the human race...except for the French."
- Mark Twain 1878-79

Kittens!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > World of Warcraft Hotfixes
5. Re: World of Warcraft Hotfixes Sep 19, 2012, 11:58 sauron

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 19, 2012, 11:09:
deqer wrote on Sep 19, 2012, 11:02:
Had I known the game would turn out the way it did, I would not have bothered with it.
I don't like where the game has gotten to, but there's no way I could say that. I enjoyed the hell out of the first four years I played the game.

Having looked at the most recent content for both WoW and FFXI (which I played for years), they now look really outdated to me. Guild Wars 2 has really changed my expectations. Never thought that would happen.

Kittens!

News Comments > The Secret World Patched
5. Re: The Secret World Patched Sep 19, 2012, 11:54 sauron

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 19, 2012, 11:09:
I'm not trying to troll or anything deger, but you seem to have a hatred for gaming and MMO's in particular. Honestly like to know how that happened.

That's easy, he's head of game development at Electronic Arts!

*drumroll and cymbal, boom-boom!*

*/bows*

Kittens!

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 18, 2012, 15:03 sauron

Beamer wrote on Sep 18, 2012, 13:09:
OpenOffice is ok for word processing, especially as Word is garbage, but who uses a word processor anymore?

I do! I've written or contributed to 7 grant proposals since July and each of them has been at least 15-20 pages in MS Word.

But back to the point, Ballmer comes across as a complete idiot. Nobody believes that kind of corporate bullshit anymore. He'd sell more units by acting like a real person and giving some intelligent soundbites. He's living in the past.

Kittens!

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Beta Mac Client
26. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Mac Client Sep 18, 2012, 14:56 sauron

Creston wrote on Sep 18, 2012, 14:08:
All the missions get like that. "Oh, hai, you're alone! Here, deal with a dozen destroyers all at once! HAR HAR HAR Oh you're dead. Oh well!"

Creston

Ya, so far on the Guardian those missions have played out rather different.

'Ohai zerglings! I'm a brick wall. With a shield. And a mace the size of your HEAD!' HAR HAR HAR! *lays the smack down*

Kittens!

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Beta Mac Client
11. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Mac Client Sep 18, 2012, 13:16 sauron

Endo wrote on Sep 18, 2012, 12:22:
Creston wrote on Sep 18, 2012, 11:02:
I'm giving up on my Thief...

In the meantime, my Warrior just stands there at level 15 and tanks 2 lvl 17 Sons of Svanir and 2 lvl 16 icewolfs without breaking a fucking sweat.

Creston

Black powder can help a lot in some situations, which is why I usually use dagger with pistol offhand. But in other situations it's just useless.

And totally agree with you about the warrior. In fact, I'm doing EXACTLY the same as you. My thief has been my main (up to 52 now) and as of yesterday I decided to shelve her and work on my warrior. Better survivability AND more damage AND more utility in PvE. There's no downside compared to the thief.

Wow, I did exactly the same! Gave up on my Thief for now and took up Guardian instead. While my lil Asura sneakthief kept getting killed, my brick-wall Nord Guardian lays down the smack while staying upright AND healing and buffing everyone else. An event starts and everyone just gathers round - I guess a tank is still a tank after all.

I also have a Warrior, an Elementalist and a Mesmer, so I guess I'll test them all out but it's Guardian for me for now.

Kittens!

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Launch Trailer
26. Re: Borderlands 2 Launch Trailer Sep 17, 2012, 18:54 sauron

For some reason I could never get into BL1 so won't be getting this. It does look fun though.

GW2 has me completely enthralled - will be playing that for the rest of the year. I have Skyrim and a whole bunch of other stuff from the summer sale, but right now it's GW2 or bust, baby.

Kittens!

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Patched
70. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patched Sep 14, 2012, 19:01 sauron

Axis wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 17:41:
They may have stealth patched that, I'll check tonight -- I haven't logged in a couple days.

It's not a bug, its exactly the way it's supposed to work. It's just a bit too effective if you set it up correctly. It's also twice as fast, forgot to mention that as it's part of the OP'dness.

The Superior fire sigil has a 30% chance per crit to fire (5 second cd), and is an aoe fire damaging all mobs in it's area. It's the edge needed to out dmg warriors for event drops.

Awesome, thanks. Will certainly try this and add the fire sigil as well.

Kittens!

63. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patched Sep 14, 2012, 15:33 sauron

Axis wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 14:08:
Yes as I mentioned you throw down the Choking Gas followed by the Cluster bomb and everything in the AOE gets weakness (50% less damage 50% of the time) and lasts about 20 seconds per application on all mobs up to bosses.

It's extremely fast, and does huge dps to boot. Its hands down the most effective mitigation in the game, and one of if not the most useful tool in our belts.

Oh score! I didn't know that one either. I'm definitely bringing a shortbow as alt weapon on my Thief as well!

Kittens!

News Comments > Black Mesa Released
21. Re: Black Mesa Released Sep 14, 2012, 13:53 sauron

Mad Max RW wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 13:46:
sauron wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 13:37:
I was just looking at the Black Mesa site, and thought: 'Wow, the gameplay looks great but the graphics are slightly dated. Maybe they should mod it with newer skins and models...oh snap.'

I swear that's true. I'm gonna download it anyway.

The graphics are certainly dated, but the stuff that counts looks really good. Human models, especially their faces, are as good as anything in a modern game. Monsters are exactly as you'd expect them to look. So far the only thing that takes me out of it is the voice acting. Most of it is great. But every once in a while you get something like young Eli Vance (offensively bad) or a dopey sounding soldier.

Yeah, I just checked out the trailer and it looks amazing. Definitely going to give it a go.

Kittens!

18. Re: Black Mesa Released Sep 14, 2012, 13:37 sauron

I was just looking at the Black Mesa site, and thought: 'Wow, the gameplay looks great but the graphics are slightly dated. Maybe they should mod it with newer skins and models...oh snap.'

I swear that's true. I'm gonna download it anyway.

Kittens!

16. Re: Black Mesa Released Sep 14, 2012, 13:33 sauron

Verno wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 13:26:
I posted many times saying Duke Nukem Forever would never come out...

Now it finally did, and we all wish it hadn't.

Kittens!

53. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patched Sep 14, 2012, 13:11 sauron

Dades wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 12:55:
I am giving up on my Elementalist, I feel like I'm getting carpal tunnel from switching elements so often and the survivability really sucks. This class never really clicked for me, the abilities are so spread out that it feels like you have 28 skills instead of 9.

I'm just getting into it, kind of really liking it since it has so may possibilities. It is a bit overwhelming though - I'm just starting off with one weapon set and not thinking about combos yet. Basically fire = BBQ, water = support and heal, thunder = debuff, earth = defense. So far that's all I got.

Axis wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 13:01:
Try smoke screen with cluster bomb and a team

Ooh, area stealth. Cool.

Kittens!

47. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patched Sep 14, 2012, 12:59 sauron

Self-combo on Thief is really fun. For example, if you use Smoke Screen or Black Powder, then Heartseeker, the combo puts you into stealth. Then you Backstab for maximum damage.

I'm sure there are others but have only been messing around with them for a little while.

Kittens!

8. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patched Sep 14, 2012, 11:39 sauron

My main problem atm is that I want to play Thief, Elementalist and Warrior and can't decide which one to be main character, so all three are stuck under level 20.

I'm having a blast with all of them though.

Kittens!

5. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patched Sep 14, 2012, 11:17 sauron

Verno wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 11:00:
Thief is all about mobility and tricks. PvE is easy enough with Pistol Whip and Black Powder. PvP is all about the Shortbow IMHO.

I think they did a pretty good job with the PvP and PvE balance in this although there is definitely work to be done on many things (engineer turrets, necro pets, etc).

Yes, Thief is about getting in quick, spike damage, then blind/ stealth/ dodge and back out again. It's just fragile if it gets caught.

And agreed, other classes need a bit more work to balance them. Necro especially.

My PvE is Dagger/Dagger for the reason you mentioned, and Sword/Pistol alternate.

Kittens!

2. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patched Sep 14, 2012, 10:57 sauron

Creston wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 10:40:
Ouch, that's a pretty hefty reduction on Heartseeker...

Creston

I'm not really concerned about this change. The issue I have with Thief is that its pretty fragile - classic glass cannon. Stealthing up and blinding is fine but there's no way to block anything.

Kittens!

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Sells 2 Million
99. Re: Guild Wars 2 Sells 2 Million Sep 14, 2012, 10:07 sauron

My two characters are only level 14 and level 4 so far, so running out of content won't be a problem for months. But I did notice a good article by the devs on endgame today:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/the-endgame-reimagined/

They also mention they're working on a lot of new events for that section of the game:

The launch of Guild Wars 2 is just the start. With the game now out in the hands of the players, we can focus our efforts to adding new types of events, new dungeons, new bosses, new rewards, and new places for players to explore. Together, our journey is just now beginning, and I hope to see you in-game.

Could be just BS, but it'll be interesting to see what they come up with.

Kittens!

75. Re: Guild Wars 2 Sells 2 Million Sep 13, 2012, 19:07 sauron

NewMaxx wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 18:55:
Your concerns are therefore quite valid and not unknown to the MMO designer. I think GW2 handles this pretty maturely and in an efficient manner. It still needs work - switching needs to be more intuitive and quicker - but again, it's a step in the right direction. I too remember when support was crucial in MMO's, and I miss those days, but I also realize it needs to be natural and casual-friendly in our modern gaming environment.

Yep, agree entirely. I played support in FFXI for a really long time, and the role was central to the success of the group. Hard for the casual player to pick up how critically important buffs (haste) and debuffs (slow, paralyze) can be since they don't show up on the DPS spreadsheet.

GW2 seems to have the ability for at least some clases to switch modes on the fly, heal to support to dps (not sure about tank, more like bounce aggro around). Will be interesting to see how the playerbase develops that once the initial hubbub dies down.

By the way, lots of good posts in this thread - one of the best I've read in quite some time. Very thoughtful ideas from lots of folks.

Kittens!

68. Re: Guild Wars 2 Sells 2 Million Sep 13, 2012, 18:12 sauron

PropheT wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 17:12:
But it does allow for another breed of class that was disappearing when the focus was just on DPS with the big 3, since it's not just about the two core characters in a group making it so the DPS were maximizing their spreadsheets...it's everyone doing something important and beneficial for everyone else.

Or it should be, anyway. There's still a lot of people who are trying to force the tank/healer role onto their characters in GW2 with mixed success at best.

Yeah, I've been playing a thief and the class is super fun, but I'm not sure how much support beyond blinds, stealths and leeches it really brings to the table. Complicated. Hard to get it out of glass cannon spike damage mode for a starting player.

Gonna switch over to an Elementalist for a while. For a player in the early stages of the game, the ways to switch roles are more obvious. Water attunement = healing, stone = group defense, air = damage and debuff, fire = OMGBBQ.

Kittens!

1433 Comments. 72 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo