Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for sauron

Real Name sauron   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description God of death, destruction and decay. Likes fluffy kittens.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 15, 2001, 03:31
Total Comments 1433 (Pro)
User ID 8692

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 10:17 sauron

I was in bed by 10, mainly to avoid the rampant punditry. Looks like the statisticians got their predictions largely correct - I was quite impressed.

Am considering a Sauron/Shelob ticket for 2016.

Kittens!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

65. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2012, 16:07 sauron

nin wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 16:05:
sauron wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 16:04:
Blue wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 09:48:
New dinosaur named after Sauron from Lord of the Rings. Or Blue's forum poster. Thanks nin.

I have a couple of those in a kennel out in the yard - Fluffy and Rainbowdash.

Mrs. Sauron won't let me bring them into the house on account of their claws tearing up the drapes. Plus they eat the servants.

I told Blue I thought you'd get a kick out of that.

Heh heh, I sure did. Thanks!

Kittens!

62. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2012, 16:04 sauron

Blue wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 09:48:
New dinosaur named after Sauron from Lord of the Rings. Or Blue's forum poster. Thanks nin.

I have a couple of those in a kennel out in the yard - Fluffy and Rainbowdash.

Mrs. Sauron won't let me bring them into the house on account of their claws tearing up the drapes. Plus they eat the servants.

Kittens!

47. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2012, 14:39 sauron

Jivaro wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 13:25:
Creston wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 12:51:
Jeraxle wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 12:12:
Either way, I have a war to go fight. Night missions are fun! =)

Stay safe, man!

Creston

What Creston said. Good luck and stay safe.

And yep, stay safe!

Kittens!

46. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2012, 14:38 sauron

1badmf wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 14:15:
i tell you, one of the saddest days of my adult life was when i realized i was smarter than the president and leader of the free world, and likely by a significant margin. afterwards, hearing my coworkers' reasons for voting for him completely soured me to the political process.

Yep, there have been smart presidents, and there have been dumb ones, and then there have been ones that might have been insane.

Sadly, I'm not sure which type is more dangerous.

Kittens!

32. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2012, 11:53 sauron

Creston wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 11:49:
nin wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 11:48:
We have 535 other idiots in Congress that seem to prefer fighting each other to getting something productive done.

I would be excited if we could somehow clean them all out...

Careful nin. Statements like that get the Secret Service to start paying attention.

Creston

Heck, they've had him under surveillance since 1983! He even makes coffee for the guys outside in the unmarked van each morning.

Kittens!

16. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2012, 11:14 sauron

PHJF wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 11:05:
Pray tell, enlighten us with your evidence of 538's apparently obvious bias. The methodology is spelled out in plain English on the site. All the numbers are ordered and explained. Or maybe you just saw "New York Times" and cried liberal because you're incapable of forming an opinion on your own.

I think he's just saying that the quality of the data coming out of the algorithm depends on the quality of the polling data that goes into it. Some polls tend to lean left (PPP), others tend to go right (Gallup).

Good article yesterday though that made the point that the large number of polls in the final week of the campaign add greatly to the statistical power of analyses that use all the data. Right now, there are only two ways that 538 could be wrong. Either the algorithm is inaccurate, or the majority of polling data are systematically biased towards Obama (for whatever reason).

Kittens!

9. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2012, 10:36 sauron

Jeraxle wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 10:32:
sauron wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 10:20:
Unbiased political statistics analysis done with hard math - very interesting. Honestly, it really is!

As much as I hate tempting the Lord of Mordor, I find it very difficult to believe anything published at the NY Times as "Unbiased". This day and age, you'll never find a "news outlet" that isn't biased in some way. Especially seeing as though 538 is a blog. I like what he's doing with his blog, but unfortunately, I can't believe that his stats are based in reality due to lack of trust in his sources.

/shrug

Yes, there is that, although he does claim that the engine is completely unbiased. I guess we'll find out later tonight.

And yes, I won the last election in Mordor when my opponent cut his own head off while shaving. An unfortunate accident.

Kittens!

7. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2012, 10:35 sauron

PHJF wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 10:27:
538 has Obama at 90% to win Ohio, despite major media endlessly clamoring to the contrary. Really, something needs to be done about the state of news in this country. Shit is beyond ridiculous.

Not only in this country. The BBC is just as bad.

Kittens!

3. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2012, 10:20 sauron

nin wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 09:59:
Voted Friday. Now I get to sit back and watch the fireworks. And being a glutton for punishment, I'm sure I'll be following it all night.

I'm unable to vote (foreign passport - Mordor; also, the Lidless Eye has no hands). However, Ive been absolutely glued to the Five Thirty-Eight page for weeks:

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/

Unbiased political statistics analysis done with hard math - very interesting. Honestly, it really is!

Kittens!

18. Re: removed Nov 6, 2012, 09:23 sauron

What happened? He had like 30 posts removed. That must be some kind of record!  

Kittens!

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2012, 15:25 sauron

Creston wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 11:53:
So, Microsoft's new tablet seems a real corker!

Poor MS. Time to oust Balmer, fellas, and get someone in there who won't keep trying to force out shitty product.

Creston

Plus they're expensive. I can get 3 Google Nexus tablets for the price of one Surface. And the Google ones actually work!

Kittens!

News Comments > Free Battlefield 1942
9. Re: Free Battlefield 1942 Nov 5, 2012, 15:19 sauron

I still have all my BF1942 discs (including Secret Weapons of WWII). I remember trying the demo the night it came out and being totally blown away. BF42 Tobruk grenade spam ftmfw!*

*Wake Island was also good but I kept flying Japanese fighter planes into the ocean.

Kittens!

News Comments > U.K. Charts
1. Re: U.K. Charts Nov 5, 2012, 10:36 sauron

Farming Simulator 2013 sprouts at number two

No way. I would never have believed there was a large market for that game. Whoever developed it is smarter than I am.

Kittens!

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Massive Event Teased
32. Re: More Big Picture Details Nov 3, 2012, 23:37 sauron

I'm having trouble putting GW2 down, best game I've played in ages. Have been trying out the dungeons, WvWvW, crafting, events, all of them great.

Regarding updates, there are several places in the game world where there are gates to new places that are currently shut. One of the places is in SE Lions Arch, where there is an area with 6 Asuran Gates that right now are under construction. Where they will eventually link to is anyone's guess.

I get the feeling the dev team is looking long-term.

Kittens!

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 1, 2012, 16:29 sauron

Tha Bard's Tale on Android. Score!  

Kittens!

11. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 1, 2012, 12:54 sauron

Great Halloween turnout here in Harlem as well. Even my cat had a costume. Then again, he's a black cat so he's in costume all year!

We had about 15 bags of candy and they were all gone by 7pm. Lots of happy kids.

Kittens!

5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2012, 15:37 sauron

Welcome back Blue.

Things here in the city are not yet back to normal. Subway still down, 5th Avenue and other major routes are a parking lot. No power downtown, and none on the Upper East Side when you get anywhere near the river. And that's just Manhattan, which was mostly protected from the storm.

I have some buddies at NYU Medical Center downtown, and apparently it's really messed up over there. All the patients evacuated from the hospital, all the research labs trashed and years of work gone. Very very sad. And that's just one institution.

Kittens!

154. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2012, 10:26 sauron

nin wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 09:18:
Tehol wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 09:16:
may be KOTOR 3 eh? minus bioware.

Hell, let's aim for the sky and ask for TIE Fighter 2...

Seconded. Dear God yes.

Kittens!

100. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2012, 18:02 sauron

Ant wrote on Oct 30, 2012, 16:49:
Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 30, 2012, 14:47:
No redesign needed!
Ditto. Fast, simple, etc. It works fine.

A mobile app would rule. Then I could spam the forum while out lashing orc servitors with my evil cat o'nine tails.

(or while drinking wine and lying in bed, lol).

Kittens!

1433 Comments. 72 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo