Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for sauron

Real Name sauron   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description God of death, destruction and decay. Likes fluffy kittens.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 15, 2001, 03:31
Total Comments 1436 (Pro)
User ID 8692

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > November NPD Results
17. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 7, 2012, 11:03 sauron

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 00:24:
GW's 2 has been down for a couple hours now. Not a single dev post... NCSoft just shut'm down. And you said not to worry.

Back up now. I just got my first piece of Ascended gear.

Not sure I can grind Fractals of the Mists for another piece though. My guild are all playing LOTRO and some of the pickup groups I've been in have been really bad. Pretty sure some of the players were actually chimps from the Bronx Zoo who somehow sneaked a copy of the game into their enclosure.

Kittens!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Planescape: Torment Successor Plans
23. Re: Planescape: Torment Successor Plans Dec 4, 2012, 20:34 sauron

PHJF wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 12:44:
Online gaming is years from recreating the social setting of tabletop gaming.

No, the tech is all there, the bandwidth, the market is all there. The only thing missing is a developer with the balls/money/desire to do something about it.

It's really not there yet. A tabletop game is several times more interactive, social and fun than even the most tight-knit MMO raiding guilds can ever hope to be. I've played PnP for 30+ years and have raided in multiple MMOs. I love both genres but there's really no comparison.

In a great PnP session, you play the game, catch up with old friends, ask about their kids, pop open a bottle of wine, and generally hang out. It's a great game and an excuse to meet good friends, all at the same time. MMOs don't even get close to that, even in a tight guild that's been around for years.

Kittens!

News Comments > Planescape: Torment Successor Plans
16. Re: Planescape: Torment Successor Plans Dec 4, 2012, 08:18 sauron

Cutter wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 20:29:
Jesus Christ I wish WOTC never acquired the D&D IP. The old gang from TSR should kickstart a new TSR, buy the IP back and start producing good D&D products and games once more. We should have had at least a dozen good D&D titles over the last decade and an MMO as well! WOTC has just turned it all into so much schlock.

The only way they can make a Torment successor is definitely "in the spirit" of it, and that's it.

I've been playing D&D on and off since 1980, and still have all my original first edition AD&D books and modules, plus some of the Planescape setting books (which are 2ed).

I don't like either the rules or the settings for 4th ed. at all. I find them overcomplicated, generic, and dull - WotC simply rehashing the original idea for added shareholder value. Pathfinder is a lot better and I find that version's world setting to be really excellent.

I still play the first edition rules, grafted on to the Pathfinder setting, although I'd love to run a campaign set in the Planescape universe as well.

If I was going to play anything else it would be Stormbringer or Call of Cthulhu - have all the books for those as well, by Chaosium. Both games are excellent - Stormbringer in particular, and the game can be had from Noble Knight for cheap prices or from DrivethruRPG.com as pdf. Some of the campaigns for Stormbringer are amazing, eg Rogue Mistress , Pan Tang, Purple Towns and Melnibone .

Whoops - got a bit off the point. A new Planescape CRPG? Bring it on. Loved the original.

This comment was edited on Dec 4, 2012, 08:29.

Kittens!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 30, 2012, 11:44 sauron

Reasons Why Los Angeles Is the Worst Place Ever.

I visited LA recently. Everyone seemed very concerned about positive feelings and emotional balance.

I thought about that for a while, and then set the orcs on them.

Kittens!

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Wintersday Event Next Month
13. Re: More Big Picture Details Nov 28, 2012, 20:05 sauron

OpticNerve wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 19:31:
I'm quite enjoying the new Fractals of the Mist dungeon (the Colossus fractal is awesome) but the whole lfg spam in map chat does show the drastic need for Anet to put in a dungeon finder. So far people are heavily using http://gw2lfg.com/ but an in-game option would be a lot better.

Ya, I was going to email that in to Blue later, seems like it's a huge hit and is helping a ton.

Game could certainly use an LFG feature - I think it may be in the works.

Kittens!

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Nov 28, 2012, 10:43 sauron

Gee, that review of the Rift expansion is really good. Looks like they put a ton of work into it.

I don't play it - my MMOs have been FFXI, LOTRO and now GW2, but if I was up for a new one I'd give it a look.

Kittens!

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Wintersday Event Next Month
7. Re: Guild Wars 2 Wintersday Event Next Month Nov 28, 2012, 08:53 sauron

I was on Cursed Shore last night and all I saw was legit players. Had a really good time, explored half the zone, and leveled from 73-75.

Got the first piece of this armor set as well last night:

Armageddon Armor

Looks pretty fly, my only worry is it might poke holes in the sofa when I'm watching TV with Mrs. Sauron.

Kittens!

7. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 26, 2012, 14:22 sauron

Beelzebud wrote on Nov 26, 2012, 13:16:
Cutter wrote on Nov 26, 2012, 12:43:
Helf, re your question yesterday about Dishonored so far. I'm enjoying it but it's not blowing me away or anything. The environments are great but it's all a bit formulaic and predictable. I find the story wanting. It's just not as engaging as games like DX, Thief, Bioshock. It's also seems like it's pretty short as I think there are 7 acts and I've already burned through 5 - and that's exploring and doing the sneaky/low kill thing too. It was worth the $20 IMo but I'd have been miffed if I paid more for it.

That's pretty much how I felt about it. It's a nice looking game, but it just didn't suck me in like other games have. It is a bit on the short side too. Frankly I'll take less detailed huge games, than highly detailed short games. Last year I replayed Deus Ex, which was made in 1999. In 13 years, I doubt I'll even remember Dishonored.

I'm still hooked on GW2 (currently level 71) and haven't even loaded anything else up since it came out. Kind of a pain since I have a big backlog of games, but GW2 gameplay is really excellent. Looking forward to endgame.

Kittens!

News Comments > Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Preloads
30. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Preloads Nov 23, 2012, 17:58 sauron

If I get this, it'll be for my tablet, so I can play it on the go - train or plane (or airport). For PC, I already have it - plus the widescreen patch.

This is all about BG mobile, baby. Being able to play it on a tablet, anywhere.

Kittens!

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 21, 2012, 14:07 sauron

Blue wrote on Nov 21, 2012, 10:53:
Microsoft mistakenly gifts Windows 8 pirates with a free activation key.

Pretty funny, but I can't see why anyone would use this OS to start with. Win7 64bit is just great on a PC, while Win8 seems designed for tablets. The only Win8 tablet is the MS Surface, and Android and iOS competitors completely kick its ass.

Kittens!

8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2012, 11:52 sauron

Happy birthday Blue!  

Kittens!

15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2012, 21:36 sauron

Prez wrote on Nov 18, 2012, 21:27:
sauron wrote on Nov 18, 2012, 21:18:

Note that this opinion will change very quickly if the Prez screws up the fiscal cliff negotiations. Both sides get it done or I'm sending in the orcs.

I don't know if you know this but I am not in any way involved with the fiscal negotiations. At any rate, if you are forced into unleashing your orc hordes that could get ugly. Then again a good mass slaughter by orc could be just the kind of purge D.C. needs. A fresh start for everyone!

Darn, and there I was thinking you held the key to the country's short and medium term well being.

I don't think a full horde will be required, especially since it's close to holiday season. Just a Troll Executioner or two stood next to the Speaker's chair. Anyone attempting a filibuster, the head comes straight off.

Bipartisanship the easy way.

Kittens!

News Comments > Star Citizen Funding Homestretch; Video
13. Re: Star Citizen Funding Homestretch; Video Nov 18, 2012, 21:31 sauron

Looks pretty great and it's a gutsy move as well. Major scope, real big project. Wish them luck and will certainly buy a copy.

My best space sim memories are of FS2 (of course) but especially of Independence War 1 and 2. Ship combat on a grand scale, with real-world physics thrown in, boy those games were incredibly good.

IWar3 kickstarter would make me drool.

Kittens!

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2012, 21:22 sauron

Jedi Master wrote on Nov 18, 2012, 20:28:
...seem human? Is that a full-time job? As someone on unemployment, I would LOVE to have a job where all I must do is "seem human"!

Good luck with the job search! Hope you find something soon.

Honestly, from several thousand years' experience as an undead disembodied tyrant, seeming human is totally overrated.

Kittens!

12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2012, 21:18 sauron

Prez wrote on Nov 18, 2012, 19:35:
It's kinda cool that Obama posed for that - makes him seem... I don't know... human?

He has a good sense of cool - both in his actions and his taste. Nice to have a prez with some style. GWB's fashion choices made me wince pretty frequently, and I'm not exactly the best-dressed demagogue out there.

Note that this opinion will change very quickly if the Prez screws up the fiscal cliff negotiations. Both sides get it done or I'm sending in the orcs.

Kittens!

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Now F2P
36. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Now F2P Nov 16, 2012, 15:03 sauron

Nacelle wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 14:14:
There was no sprint til 10, I think, when the game launched. Now you're whining about it not getting it at level 1 if you're playing for free. It's still a fun game and you get a lot of content for NO money. I unlocked mounts on one of my alts with legacy perks. My son, who is new to the game, doesn't have that option. I don't mount up when we play together. Big deal...

The point is, there are lots of options out there for non-subscription MMOs, and EA is discouraging people from playing their own game.

Speaking of which, there's a huge world event starting right now in Guild Wars 2, with a huge new area, new dungeons, new items, skills and even useless but fun ornamental trinkets. It's all being given away, right now, this moment, for nothing, to people who own the game, with no subscription fee.

So, restricted not-F2P SWTOR, or free new stuff in GW2?

See you all later. Got dragons to kill!

Kittens!

26. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Now F2P Nov 16, 2012, 13:42 sauron

NegaDeath wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 12:53:
Creston wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 12:32:
Arenanet obviously doesn't play their own game. Saying a Ranger is weaker than a Thief is fucking hilarious. (I'm talking about PvE. Maybe they're talking about PvP.) Of course, if they admitted the Thief is the weakest class, they'd have to justify the fact that they've nerfed just about the only two good skills it had, AND are looking at nerfing backstab.

Idiots.

Creston

Yeah they're talking PVP and WvW stuff. I've purely done PVE up til now so I haven't really noticed.

I'm playing a Norn Guardian, and it's kind of ridiculous. Imagine a Sherman tank in spiky armor pounding across and laying waste to the zone with a 10 foot long 3 foot wide chainsaw-driven claymore.

Complete mayhem. Love it.

Kittens!

18. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Now F2P Nov 16, 2012, 12:26 sauron

Kajetan wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 10:46:
Considering all these restriction ... this is NOT F2P. This is Force 2 Pay 2 Play.

"The Force will be with you, always"

And ya, the GW2 event goes live at 3pm EDT. I emailed Blue with the details earlier.

Kittens!

5. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Now F2P Nov 16, 2012, 11:07 sauron

"I felt a minor disturbance in the Force, as if a few hundred Chinese Gold Farmers suddenly cried out in mild annoyance, and then returned to business as usual".

Kittens!

News Comments > Newell Next AIAS Hall of Fame Inductee
2. Re: Newell Next AIAS Hall of Fame Inductee Nov 15, 2012, 21:38 sauron

Should have been inducted years ago. Well deserved, for advances in both game design and distribution.

I do wish he'd take better care of himself - can't afford to lose a leader in the field.

Kittens!

1436 Comments. 72 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo