Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for sauron

Real Name sauron   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description God of death, destruction and decay. Likes fluffy kittens.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 15, 2001, 03:31
Total Comments 1430 (Pro)
User ID 8692

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Footage
16. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Footage Jan 3, 2013, 13:09 sauron

Mingus wrote on Jan 3, 2013, 11:36:
Looking back, (waaay back), the only game mechanic I recall truly liking with FFXI was fishing. I made it to 50 or so as a White Mage, but the grind was far too much for me.

I just can't see myself investing either the time or patience for this or any other MMORPG.

I attribute this to age.

In FFXI I ended up with 3 jobs at 99, the new level cap (Beastmaster, Bard, White Mage), and most of the expansions completed (including Chains of Promathia, which was really, really hard and took about 12 months). Plus a bunch of raiding/alliance events at endgame. Too much time. Far too much, honestly.

The only MMO I have time for right now is Guild Wars 2. It's very casual-friendly - most raids take under 45 minutes and there are some you can blast through with 5 people in 15 minutes or less if you know what you're doing. And getting a group takes 2 minutes or less - I've never had to wait more than 5 minutes, ever. So I can log on for an hour and really have a blast, without feeling guilty afterwards.

Uh, although I did just start the quest for a Legendary Weapon in GW2, which means I'll need to run dailies every day, for 6 months...

This comment was edited on Jan 3, 2013, 13:16.

Kittens!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Footage
13. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Footage Jan 3, 2013, 09:04 sauron

Jonjonz wrote on Jan 3, 2013, 07:31:
Unfortunately the alternative to stand and push buttons, is pushing more buttons faster. You ought to listen to just the key board sounds of someone playing the latest anti-stand and fight effort GW2. It's constant tap-tap-tappity tap in an orgy of twitchdom. Congratulations you just turned a MMORPG into a console MORTAL KOMBAT simulator with MMORPG pretentions.

I disagree strongly. I play GW2 and before that I played FFXI and LOTRO. I greatly prefer the GW2 system - much more fun - you have to pay attention to the environment around you to a greater degree. It does mean some tappy-tappy of the keyboard, but much less so than in a FPS.

Regarding things like floating damage numbers, in FFXI you could certainly turn them off. Community mods allowed the UI to be altered substantially and eventually the developer incorporated most of those ideas into the game.

My issues with FFXIV aren't that it has a busy UI, but that the base gameplay mechanics are really, really dated. If you're going to play it, you might as well be playing FFXI with a bunch of graphic mods, or even Everquest. The presentation looks flashy and the FF universe is very deep, but the substance of FFXIV is lacking in novelty and imagination - it's really just an updated version of FFXI which at this point is over a decade old.

Kittens!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 1, 2013, 15:01 sauron

Happy New Year guys and gals!  

Kittens!

24. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 31, 2012, 23:11 sauron

Creston wrote on Dec 31, 2012, 15:25:
On a different note: Happy New Year, peeps!

Creston

Seconded. Happy New Year!

Kittens!

22. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 28, 2012, 11:50 sauron

Cutter wrote on Dec 27, 2012, 23:59:
sauron wrote on Dec 27, 2012, 21:33:
Cutter wrote on Dec 27, 2012, 17:07:
Ahh yes, Xmas the one time of year that allows me to nourish the gourmand in me. Currently on my plate, muslix crackers, a pear and roasted garlic chutney, Camenbert, Grueye, St. Paulin, Manchego, Mimolette (damn it's pricey), Fontina, some fresh pear, apple and melon, Ardennes pate, and un bouteille du vin du Savoie. I'm a pretty effin happy camper atm.

Yummy yum yum. That sounds delicious.

Gonna do some french bread, manchego and jarlsberg tomorrow for our guests, with smoked salmon and a salad. A muscadet and maybe cocktails to drink.

Not pretentious - can get that stuff anywhere. And not expensive - the wine is 10 dollars a bottle, tops, while the salmon (Acme brand, Brooklyn) is $12 and feeds the whole family. And boy does it taste good. ^^

Heh, I forgot that I had some Jarlsberg too! It's always been one of my faves. Pre-food cocktail suggestion: Satan's Whiskers. Wine suggestion: Albarino. It'll go well with all three. Better than Muscadet which is quite a bit more oily - and I'm a man who loves his Loire whites!

And to tie it all together?!?! Endive and Frisee Salad with Blood Orange. They'll go haywire over how perfectly it all comes together!

Good ideas! I love Albarino as well and it goes great with Manchego cheese. And that salad looks delicious. Thanks!

Kittens!

15. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 27, 2012, 21:33 sauron

Cutter wrote on Dec 27, 2012, 17:07:
Ahh yes, Xmas the one time of year that allows me to nourish the gourmand in me. Currently on my plate, muslix crackers, a pear and roasted garlic chutney, Camenbert, Grueye, St. Paulin, Manchego, Mimolette (damn it's pricey), Fontina, some fresh pear, apple and melon, Ardennes pate, and un bouteille du vin du Savoie. I'm a pretty effin happy camper atm.

Yummy yum yum. That sounds delicious.

Gonna do some french bread, manchego and jarlsberg tomorrow for our guests, with smoked salmon and a salad. A muscadet and maybe cocktails to drink.

Not pretentious - can get that stuff anywhere. And not expensive - the wine is 10 dollars a bottle, tops, while the salmon (Acme brand, Brooklyn) is $12 and feeds the whole family. And boy does it taste good. ^^

This comment was edited on Dec 27, 2012, 21:39.

Kittens!

2. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 27, 2012, 10:39 sauron

nin wrote on Dec 27, 2012, 10:19:
So with this downtime, how about Blue's Picks for GOTY! (ie what has Blue been playing)

Great idea. Seconded!

My GOTY is GW2 but I'm not sure I've played anything else released in 2012 - still working through the backlog from 2011 and 2010, and Morroblivion and SS2 revamp.

Kittens!

13. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 26, 2012, 19:48 sauron

By the way, just noticed this deal over at GOG.com:

http://www.gog.com/promo/dungeons___dragons_deal

All the classic Bioware D&D RPGs for a great price. If you don't have them already (shame on you!), this would be a great time!

Kittens!

12. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 26, 2012, 19:41 sauron

nin wrote on Dec 26, 2012, 18:56:
Thanks for the well wishes on my mom. Still in the hospital, doing better, had a bit of a scare of potentially being diabetic.

Glad things are going better. Hope it continues!

Same here. Hope she improves!

As regards the LotR movies, I always felt hobbits should only feature in scenes where they were being stuffed and roasted. Kind of like an orcish Luau, really.

That being said, I'm really looking forward to seeing The Hobbit - especially the dinner scene. Just need to wait for our spanish-speaking guests to head home - not really fair to expect them to come see a 3hr movie in english with no subtitles.

Kittens!

4. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 25, 2012, 20:39 sauron

Happy Xmas, human scum. We have been toasting hobbits over a roaring fire all afternoon.

Holiday cheer all around.

Kittens!

News Comments > On Sale
29. Re: On Sale Dec 24, 2012, 17:13 sauron

Creston wrote on Dec 24, 2012, 15:49:
sauron wrote on Dec 24, 2012, 12:41:
I have Morrowind and Oblivion on Steam but want to add the GOTY editions. It won't let me buy them.

Have my editions already been upgraded or is it a bug?

Advice welcome. Thanks!

I believe they both are the GOTY versions already. My morrowind version certainly is.

Creston

Score! Thanks nin, Dev and Creston - you just saved me 10 clams.

I just need the base GOTY so I can load up Morroblivion, and it turns out that's the version on Steam in both cases. I actually have both games on DVD as well but am missing Bloodmoon and KotN (I have the other expansions).

Kittens!

News Comments > On Sale
19. Re: On Sale Dec 24, 2012, 12:41 sauron

I have Morrowind and Oblivion on Steam but want to add the GOTY editions. It won't let me buy them.

Have my editions already been upgraded or is it a bug?

Advice welcome. Thanks!

Kittens!

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Expansion Announced
26. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Expansion Announced Dec 19, 2012, 10:47 sauron

Flatline wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 15:57:
WyldKat wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 15:38:
Meanwhile GW2 players will be getting an expansions worth of content, for free, from the January/February game updates.

Source

GW2 has had a crazy content update schedule. I just find myself burning out on it after playing for a month or two and need a break. Which thankfully I can do.

I'm still playing the current content but will be all over the new stuff. There are a few annoying bugs in GW2 endgame (eg disconnect bug in the Fractal dungeon) but it's by far the best MMO I've played in the last 5 years.

I also think they're making a TON of money from the gem shop - actually I'm sure of it. Custom skins, minis, tonics, cosmetic makeovers - lots of players are buying that stuff even though it's purely optional.

Kittens!

12. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2012, 18:55 sauron

I've been using Vonage VoIP for phone service here at Barad-Dur for almost 10 years. Very reliable, and the price is so low I've only had to summarily execute 2 of their CEOs. Quite impressed really. Had to set the orcs on the local Verizon staff due to high prices and the cleanup bill was rather high - Vonage is much better.

However, if it were to go down you'd want reliable cellphone backup. I have MetroPCS for that, and they're not as good - Shelob's diet plan continues to include large numbers of their upper management, despite the fact they are rather high in cholesterol.

Kittens!

News Comments > November NPD Results
17. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 7, 2012, 11:03 sauron

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 00:24:
GW's 2 has been down for a couple hours now. Not a single dev post... NCSoft just shut'm down. And you said not to worry.

Back up now. I just got my first piece of Ascended gear.

Not sure I can grind Fractals of the Mists for another piece though. My guild are all playing LOTRO and some of the pickup groups I've been in have been really bad. Pretty sure some of the players were actually chimps from the Bronx Zoo who somehow sneaked a copy of the game into their enclosure.

Kittens!

News Comments > Planescape: Torment Successor Plans
23. Re: Planescape: Torment Successor Plans Dec 4, 2012, 20:34 sauron

PHJF wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 12:44:
Online gaming is years from recreating the social setting of tabletop gaming.

No, the tech is all there, the bandwidth, the market is all there. The only thing missing is a developer with the balls/money/desire to do something about it.

It's really not there yet. A tabletop game is several times more interactive, social and fun than even the most tight-knit MMO raiding guilds can ever hope to be. I've played PnP for 30+ years and have raided in multiple MMOs. I love both genres but there's really no comparison.

In a great PnP session, you play the game, catch up with old friends, ask about their kids, pop open a bottle of wine, and generally hang out. It's a great game and an excuse to meet good friends, all at the same time. MMOs don't even get close to that, even in a tight guild that's been around for years.

Kittens!

News Comments > Planescape: Torment Successor Plans
16. Re: Planescape: Torment Successor Plans Dec 4, 2012, 08:18 sauron

Cutter wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 20:29:
Jesus Christ I wish WOTC never acquired the D&D IP. The old gang from TSR should kickstart a new TSR, buy the IP back and start producing good D&D products and games once more. We should have had at least a dozen good D&D titles over the last decade and an MMO as well! WOTC has just turned it all into so much schlock.

The only way they can make a Torment successor is definitely "in the spirit" of it, and that's it.

I've been playing D&D on and off since 1980, and still have all my original first edition AD&D books and modules, plus some of the Planescape setting books (which are 2ed).

I don't like either the rules or the settings for 4th ed. at all. I find them overcomplicated, generic, and dull - WotC simply rehashing the original idea for added shareholder value. Pathfinder is a lot better and I find that version's world setting to be really excellent.

I still play the first edition rules, grafted on to the Pathfinder setting, although I'd love to run a campaign set in the Planescape universe as well.

If I was going to play anything else it would be Stormbringer or Call of Cthulhu - have all the books for those as well, by Chaosium. Both games are excellent - Stormbringer in particular, and the game can be had from Noble Knight for cheap prices or from DrivethruRPG.com as pdf. Some of the campaigns for Stormbringer are amazing, eg Rogue Mistress , Pan Tang, Purple Towns and Melnibone .

Whoops - got a bit off the point. A new Planescape CRPG? Bring it on. Loved the original.

This comment was edited on Dec 4, 2012, 08:29.

Kittens!

2. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 30, 2012, 11:44 sauron

Reasons Why Los Angeles Is the Worst Place Ever.

I visited LA recently. Everyone seemed very concerned about positive feelings and emotional balance.

I thought about that for a while, and then set the orcs on them.

Kittens!

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Wintersday Event Next Month
13. Re: More Big Picture Details Nov 28, 2012, 20:05 sauron

OpticNerve wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 19:31:
I'm quite enjoying the new Fractals of the Mist dungeon (the Colossus fractal is awesome) but the whole lfg spam in map chat does show the drastic need for Anet to put in a dungeon finder. So far people are heavily using http://gw2lfg.com/ but an in-game option would be a lot better.

Ya, I was going to email that in to Blue later, seems like it's a huge hit and is helping a ton.

Game could certainly use an LFG feature - I think it may be in the works.

Kittens!

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Nov 28, 2012, 10:43 sauron

Gee, that review of the Rift expansion is really good. Looks like they put a ton of work into it.

I don't play it - my MMOs have been FFXI, LOTRO and now GW2, but if I was up for a new one I'd give it a look.

Kittens!

1430 Comments. 72 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo