Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for sauron

Real Name sauron   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description God of death, destruction and decay. Likes fluffy kittens.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 15, 2001, 03:31
Total Comments 1440 (Pro)
User ID 8692

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Jan 30, 2013, 22:06 sauron

nin wrote on Jan 30, 2013, 21:34:
Givin a shout out and prayers to The Hedgehog tonight. Hope he pulls through. (*)

* (Or at least gets a Happy Ending! Sorry! HAD TO! )

Hmm, Ron Jeremy, private hospital room, bunch of hot nurses...

Hope he pulls through!

Kittens!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
21. Re: Out of the Blue - Surfing Jan 30, 2013, 20:19 sauron

nin wrote on Jan 30, 2013, 13:35:
sauron wrote on Jan 30, 2013, 13:11:
A-well-a, everybody's heard about the bird
Bird, bird, bird, b-bird's the word
A-well-a, bird, bird, bird, b-bird's the word
A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word
A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
Well, everybody's talking about the bird
A-well-a, bird

Surfin' bird

Bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb, aaah

Thank you - it's so rare to get a good song stuck in my head.

You are most welcome. My favorite version is by The Cramps - I still have a mental image of them performing it at the Reading Festival.

Main act of the night, 20,000 fans. Lux Interior crooning the lyrics, sporting a pair of small black underpants and mascara, and completely covered/dyed in red wine. Poison Ivy picking out the melody on a Rickenbacker. Giant pit, bodies all over.

Classic Rock n Roll, baby. They don't make it like that anymore.

Kittens!

7. Re: Out of the Blue - Surfing Jan 30, 2013, 13:11 sauron

A-well-a, everybody's heard about the bird
Bird, bird, bird, b-bird's the word
A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
Well, everybody's talking about the bird
A-well-a, bird

Surfin' bird

Bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb, aaah

Kittens!

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 28, 2013, 20:04 sauron

Got to love NewEgg. Good comments in this thread as well - very thought-provoking. Thanks!

Also, I must be the only other living person that still listens to the Subhumans. "Rats in the cellars of the Stock Exchange!"

Kittens!

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 28, 2013, 12:28 sauron

Ratty wrote on Jan 28, 2013, 12:03:
So it was fantastic chicken, super duper juicy, but really who wants to deal with the smoke and grease. I'm not sure if I'll do it again.

I've tried that as well, and yep it tastes good but it's really messy.

We got around the worst of it by covering the roasting pan with foil but I'm still not sure if I'd give it another try. Too much smoke and aggravation.

Kittens!

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 28, 2013, 10:11 sauron

You can probably freeze the chili and ragu, and the marinara too. I don't think the chicken breasts would fare so well if frozen - might end up tough and tasteless - but I'm not sure.  

Kittens!

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2013, 22:00 sauron

Cutter wrote on Jan 26, 2013, 18:28:
so I just got an alpha invite to Neverwinter. Whilst I don't hold out much hope for it anymore since PWE got involved I'm still curious to see how the Foundry will be for it and if it'll be possible to make some good modules at any rate.

I'm actually pretty psyched that NWN2 just arrived on GOG. Never managed to catch up with all that content since I tend to hang out in MMOs.

The original campaign was rather generic (played it), but maybe this will be the time I finally get to see all the great add-ons and mods (of which I have heard there are many!).

Kittens!

34. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2013, 12:04 sauron

Cutter wrote on Jan 25, 2013, 18:44:
sauron wrote on Jan 25, 2013, 10:27:
Good article on Neil Degrasse Tyson's speech. A lot of it is true - government can fund basic science like nobody else. Other organizations always have a specific goal - curing a disease or making money.

Interestingly, the NIH has deliberately shifted towards translational research over the last 5 years. That means research focused on addressing human disease. For people like me, that's fine since I work on diseases of the brain and spinal cord. But if I was working on fly or worm development or something basic, I'd be in trouble.

You may not think that fly and worm development are very important, but most of the genes we know about today that are linked to human disease originally came from exactly those studies. It just takes a while for the studies to go from flies, to mice, to humans.

If what he said was true private enterprise would be all over it. It's not though so it's just another entitlement plea so that someone else pays for him to do stuff he wants to do. Get a real job. I'm not saying it isn't interesting or important it's just not John Q. Taxpayer's job to pay for it when his major concern is keeping a roof over his head, 3 squares a day and retiring without becoming homeless.

Government's only job - apart from basic oversight - should be to keep religious kooks from meddling in science's affairs. Think about how far stem research would be by now.

Actually, we have a clinical trial starting next month in patients, that is happening as a direct result of federally-funded research we have done in my laboratory. I was the Principal Investigator on the federal grant and the corresponding author on all the papers, and am also co-PI on the clinical trial. The trial is likely to improve quality of life for patients with an especially unpleasant form of an autoimmune CNS disease.

Bringing the relevant multinational biotech company on board would not have been possible without the work financed directly by the NIH. I can give you at least another 50 examples of similar stories, from other labs in my field, and many, many other fields.

Your tax dollars spent on scientific research make a direct contribution to human health. To think otherwise is absolutely misguided. The feds finance the initial research which is then used by the entire research pipeline - federal, nonprofit and for-profit biotech.

Also, Research Science is a real job. I am currently sitting in my office finishing another federal grant application on a Saturday afternoon while you are probably playing videogames.

Kittens!

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 25, 2013, 12:55 sauron

InBlack wrote on Jan 25, 2013, 10:37:
Its good to know that Sauron works with brains and spinal coloumns, Im sure it has nothing to do with coercing humans or orcs to do His will...

...or turning fluffy kittens to the dark side, mwahahahaha.

Kittens!

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 25, 2013, 10:27 sauron

Good article on Neil Degrasse Tyson's speech. A lot of it is true - government can fund basic science like nobody else. Other organizations always have a specific goal - curing a disease or making money.

Interestingly, the NIH has deliberately shifted towards translational research over the last 5 years. That means research focused on addressing human disease. For people like me, that's fine since I work on diseases of the brain and spinal cord. But if I was working on fly or worm development or something basic, I'd be in trouble.

You may not think that fly and worm development are very important, but most of the genes we know about today that are linked to human disease originally came from exactly those studies. It just takes a while for the studies to go from flies, to mice, to humans.

Kittens!

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Jan 25, 2013, 10:21 sauron

Great article - thanks for linking!  

Kittens!

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 25, 2013, 08:03 sauron

jdreyer wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 23:23:
sauron wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 22:49:
Cutter wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 20:01:
Pork on the other hand is actually pretty safe - though I wouldn't want to eat it raw.

Ya, don't eat pork raw. The pig tapeworm (Taenia solium) is so dangerous that two of the world's major religions outlawed consumption - both Kosher and Halal. Well, that and Trichinella spiralis.

Unlike the beef tapeworm, the pork version can migrate to organs outside the gut, notably the brain and eyes. Cysticercosis - very nasty indeed.

Interesting. I threw raw pork in there due to trichinosis, I had no idea about pig tape worms. Could you get that from eating just the muscle, or would you have to eat organs to get that one?

Undercooked pork meat, mainly. Here's a link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taenia_solium

Best not to read that while eating breakfast, by the way. Especially if it has bacon/sausage/ham.

Kittens!

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2013, 22:49 sauron

Cutter wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 20:01:
Pork on the other hand is actually pretty safe - though I wouldn't want to eat it raw.

Ya, don't eat pork raw. The pig tapeworm (Taenia solium) is so dangerous that two of the world's major religions outlawed consumption - both Kosher and Halal. Well, that and Trichinella spiralis.

Unlike the beef tapeworm, the pork version can migrate to organs outside the gut, notably the brain and eyes. Cysticercosis - very nasty indeed.

Kittens!

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2013, 22:42 sauron

jdreyer wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 19:47:
Cutter wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 18:25:

Wow, I thought you were joking - I don't eat much Japanese. I don't even like touching raw chicken. Eating it? Hello salmonella!

Yeah, I was kidding. Embarassed This probably goes without saying, but don't eat raw chicken (or pork), folks. It's a horrible, painful way to die.

Ya, don't do that. Salmonella from one, tapeworm from the other. Bad, bad, bad.

Easy way to do them is marinade in rice wine (or any white wine), ginger, scallions and garlic for a couple hours, then stir-fry very hot.

Add a few light crisp veggies (not broccoli or cauliflower) and DO NOT OVERCOOK. Serve with noodles. Don't overcook those either. Add wine. Enjoy. Yum.

This comment was edited on Jan 24, 2013, 22:49.

Kittens!

News Comments > SEGA On Their Relic Acquisition
5. Re: SEGA On Their Relic Acquisition Jan 24, 2013, 22:36 sauron

The language in the release is conservative but in suitspeak terms it's really positive - ie if the lawyers at Sega were regular people, they'd be leaping out of their boots.

Great purchase, cheap deal, no downside. They'll make a ton of money and get a big bonus this year. All they have to do now is what suits do best - drink martinis and nothing else.

Kittens!

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2013, 18:12 sauron

PHJF wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 17:38:
I don't do chicken on mine very often as there are about a million better ways to cook chicken indoors than trying to grill it

Like what? Boiling? Disgusting. Baking? Takes forever. Frying? Unhealthy oil.

A slow simmer in green or brown mole for a couple of hours is pretty darn great. Or stewed with vegetables in stock and white wine until it's falling off the bone (tip: drink the rest of the wine while waiting).

Personally, I think chicken is overrated. Hobbit is where it's at. So versatile, and never tough.

Kittens!

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2013, 10:31 sauron

I wonder what sort of outcome I could get with one of those electric George Foreman dealies

Ah, electric George Foreman.

I always assumed he was nuclear powered?

Kittens!

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2013, 10:03 sauron

I wonder what sort of outcome I could get with one of those electric...

Electric slide? Electric playground?

Don't leave us hanging!

Kittens!

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2013, 14:47 sauron

jdreyer wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 14:37:
Creston wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 13:44:
On a different note, has anyone ever seen (or played) this HL2 graphics mod?

Because it looks fucking AMAZING.

Creston

Whoa, that looks sweet! Alyx looks...cold.

Ya, not too keen on the new Alyx model but the rest looks really good.

Kittens!

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Plans
19. Re: Guild Wars 2 Plans Jan 23, 2013, 14:28 sauron

Axis wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 13:06:
*NERDRAGE*

Haha, you really are silly.

Verno wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 13:32:
I think they could have done more to keep people playing between expansion packs.

I would have liked to see some more endgame content as well. Maybe completing all 3 paths of a dungeon opens up a boss zone, and completing a specific number of boss zones opens up dragon battles? That would be kinda fun - the individual paths are only 30 minutes in most cases.

This comment was edited on Jan 23, 2013, 14:34.

Kittens!

1440 Comments. 72 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo