Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for sauron

Real Name sauron   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description God of death, destruction and decay. Likes fluffy kittens.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 15, 2001, 03:31
Total Comments 1436 (Pro)
User ID 8692

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues
15. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 12:27 sauron

This looks to me like a UO reboot, playable solo if preferred. Not biting.  

Kittens!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM
27. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM Mar 8, 2013, 11:22 sauron

Dev wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 11:19:
Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 11:15:
nin wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 10:58:
No, but I went with the all digital $125 on this one to make up for it.
I went with the $75 all digital. Highfive
They should make a deal with GoG to provide a GoG credit for the original on the higher tiers.

Torment RPGs are like pieces of spiky armor or bags of hobbit chicharron. You always have room for one more.

Kittens!

22. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM Mar 8, 2013, 11:13 sauron

nin wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 10:58:
sauron wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 10:50:
nin wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 09:39:
Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 09:32:
I have to say the buzz around this has me intrigued despite having never touched the original game.

I never did, either.

You guys really never played Planescape:Torment? Are you serious? Am I dreaming?

If you didn't play it yet, head over to GOG.com and grab it. It's amazing.

Besides, if you don't I'll send the orcs round. Extra incentive!

No, but I went with the all digital $125 on this one to make up for it.

I feel like FedExing you my CDs. It really is that good.

While you wait for this one, you can play the original! It's a win-win!

Kittens!

20. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM Mar 8, 2013, 10:50 sauron

nin wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 09:39:
Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 09:32:
I have to say the buzz around this has me intrigued despite having never touched the original game.

I never did, either.

You guys really never played Planescape:Torment? Are you serious? Am I dreaming?

If you didn't play it yet, head over to GOG.com and grab it. It's amazing.

Besides, if you don't I'll send the orcs round. Extra incentive!

Kittens!

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live
174. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live Mar 8, 2013, 08:35 sauron

They hit 2 million overnight. Monte Cook is now in as a writer. W00t!  

Kittens!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2013, 10:04 sauron

InBlack wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 09:26:
nin wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 09:16:
Boo.

Got that right. Disappointing...

I second that. Or third. Or...whatever, its not good news.

Fourthed, although I can't believe Skyfall made 1.1bn. It was good, but not THAT good. Javier Bardem was a great villain though.

A friend of ours who lives in London is best pals with Naomie Harris. Apparently she is super nice in addition to all the hotness. Good to see her success.

Kittens!

133. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live Mar 6, 2013, 20:12 sauron

Dev wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 18:14:
3 posts of great stuff

Just wanted to give props after reading your posts on this page.

Great stuff, very interesting, thanks! Keep it coming!

Kittens!

112. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live Mar 6, 2013, 17:55 sauron

Flatline wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 17:18:
Dev wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 17:06:
polygon interview
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/01/09/planescape-torment-sequel/

A couple good interviews. Here's some tidbits:

InXile believes it has learned a critical lesson from its crowdfunding success. The creative leads at InXile believe that the traditional publisher/developer model of funding video games is broken, and the developer is staking its future on that claim.

and
RPS – Can you talk about why Wizards of the Coast were resistant to licensing Planescape again?

Fargo: We asked and were rebuffed. In reality we didn’t push very hard on licensing it as the team was excited to work with Monte on Numenera and they felt that there would be less creative restriction. And WotC has been pretty silent on this space for some time. Neither Feargus nor I was able to get a Baldur’s Gate 3 project going.

RPS – Did you meet any resistance when seeking the Torment name?

Fargo: I patiently waited for someone to do something with a Torment concept but nothing happened. After many years the rights expired and allowed me to step in and put together a great team to make another title of its kind. We will improve on the mechanics and deliver a deep narrative story that is deserving of the name Torment.

So apparently the torment trademark was expired which is how they can use that, but they don't have IP from wizards.
And they've tried to do BG3.

Wizards of the Coast is driving D&D into an unmarked grave. It went from 20 million active players at the height of 3rd edition to like 2 million active players according to a court document a few years back at the "height" of 4th edition. Now they're cranking out 5th ed, which is supposed to be this "universal" edition. The beta was fucking terrible. First beta test had material like the cleric who was better at finding and disabling traps than the thief.

But the heads of D&D don't *like* the old settings. Hell, they basically shit-canned *dragonlance*, which kind of boggles the mind. Nobody's willing to even mention Planescape, so it doesn't surprise me that they couldn't get rights to develop in the planescape setting. WOTC and Mearls probably would see a planescape revisit to be harmful to their intention to make D&D Next (what a horrible name) "successful" again.

This is spot on. WotC really don't have a clue. All the smart tabletop RPG players are playing ANYTHING other than 'official' D&D right now. The 4th edition is awful - so bad it makes 3rd edition look like a masterpiece (which it isn't).

I'd love to see the Planescape setting revived but WotC will never do it (or anything else remotely interesting). They just produce retreads of the standard, safe settings over and over again, with worse rules each time. Bankruptcy beckons and it's really very sad.

I currently play 1st edition with my kids, in a Pathfinder world setting. Simple rules, fast and easy, lots of atmosphere. The focus on the game, the story, the atmosphere and their imagination, not math. Much better. They really enjoy it.

Kittens!

77. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live Mar 6, 2013, 15:48 sauron

Creston wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 15:25:
The pledged amount is literally updating faster than I can hit F5. LOL.

Creston

I did a little math. Right now it's funding at the rate of $100,000 every 50 minutes. That's $2,000 per minute, or $33 per second.

They just hit a million dollars in under 7 hours. Never seen anything like it.

Kittens!

60. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live Mar 6, 2013, 15:01 sauron

sauron wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 14:54:
John wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 14:37:
Wow, they're going to need to post stretch goals the first day!

$886,000 as of now. They're going to need stretch goals in about 10 minutes.

It was 6 minutes, in fact. Target achieved!

And I'm in for 20 smackers. W00t.

Kittens!

56. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live Mar 6, 2013, 14:54 sauron

John wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 14:37:
Wow, they're going to need to post stretch goals the first day!

$886,000 as of now. They're going to need stretch goals in about 10 minutes.

Kittens!

33. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live Mar 6, 2013, 14:02 sauron

nin wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 13:58:
sauron wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 13:47:
nin wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 13:30:
Sho wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 13:25:
I think that would set a new record actually - Double Fine Adventure needed 8 hours to reach their goal (which was just 400k).

It looks like Shadowrun made under 500K on day 1, and Wasteland 2 was right around 500K, according to kicktraq. Looks like Project Eternity made roughly 750K?

They're at $770,000 already and it's not even 2pm. Wow.

They need to put up a livestream, with their current reactions.

Haha, that would be awesome!

I think it probably went from hope, to surprise, to elation, to worry that they are going to need a LOT of stretch goals, to despair as they realize they are NEVER going to be able to deliver on the hopes and dreams of hundreds of thousands of gamers.

The entire human condition in 6 hours or less.

Kittens!

29. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live Mar 6, 2013, 13:47 sauron

nin wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 13:30:
Sho wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 13:25:
I think that would set a new record actually - Double Fine Adventure needed 8 hours to reach their goal (which was just 400k).

It looks like Shadowrun made under 500K on day 1, and Wasteland 2 was right around 500K, according to kicktraq. Looks like Project Eternity made roughly 750K?

They're at $770,000 already and it's not even 2pm. Wow.

Kittens!

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Login Change
10. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Login Change Mar 6, 2013, 12:38 sauron

Darks wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 11:28:
My money, they gave me only 250K of my 10 Million credits and put the rest in Escrow.

You can’t even touch it unless you pay to play the game, then they unlock it. fuck that shit, these are things that should be there by default and not taken away from the player. This is why EA fails at most things they do and why SWTOR is a failed MMO.

Wow, that's terrible. No way I'd play if a dev/publisher did that to me.

My old FFXI guildies are trying to get me to go back and play FFXIV with them, but I'm not buying it - looks too static and old-fashioned. Nice folks but I think I'm over the old-school MMO thing.

Kittens!

16. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live Mar 6, 2013, 12:33 sauron

Creston wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 12:29:
nin wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 12:00:
Fuck it, I'm in.

OK, I'm blaming YOU if it sucks. And not my own weak willpower, who probably pledged before you did.

It's fine, I'll be the bitch this time around. Everyone can blame me if it sucks.

Creston

Hey, if you're not comfortable being the villain of the piece you can just hand it off to me.

Or to some of these evil kittens I have right here *shows evil kittens to audience*.

Kittens!

7. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live Mar 6, 2013, 12:06 sauron

The team looks like it's the right one, and it was clearly put together carefully. Colin McComb and Monte Cook for starters. I can see why they already got half a million. It will break target really easily.

I'm going to back it myself and can't wait. Heck, I'll even send over a few hobbit slaves with some tea and cakes.

Kittens!

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Crowdfunding This Week
16. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Crowdfunding This Week Mar 5, 2013, 16:44 sauron

jdreyer wrote on Mar 4, 2013, 21:59:
sauron wrote on Mar 4, 2013, 21:52:
The key name here is Monte Cook. If he's really involved, it WILL be the spiritual successor to Planescape:Torment, because he's the guy who envisioned the whole Planescape setting from day 1 and may be the most talented tabletop RPG designer currently working.

If Cook is really part of the team for this, then all bets are off and it could be fantastic. But it's a big IF.

Can't you see we're having a hatefest here? Go back to Barad Dur so we can be pissed in peace.

Also, aren't you pissed they stole some of your nomenclature?

It was a business arrangement.

They got the nomenclature, and in return they gave me Fall-From-Grace. Currently my housekeeper and French maid.

Good deal all around, I'd say. She's not much of a cook though.

Kittens!

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Crowdfunding This Week
4. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Crowdfunding This Week Mar 4, 2013, 21:52 sauron

The key name here is Monte Cook. If he's really involved, it WILL be the spiritual successor to Planescape:Torment, because he's the guy who envisioned the whole Planescape setting from day 1 and may be the most talented tabletop RPG designer currently working.

If Cook is really part of the team for this, then all bets are off and it could be fantastic. But it's a big IF.

Kittens!

News Comments > Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Confirmed, Details Next Week
22. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2013, 14:05 sauron

Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 13:43:
Has AC fixed the problem where I look like a retarded loon who recently looted the costume rental store and in no way look like the locals around me?

Because nothing says "professional assassin" like "sticking out like a sore, antediluvian thumb".

Honestly, if you look like that and you're hanging out around a bunch of pirates, you'll fit right in. Perfect camouflage. Problem solved!

Kittens!

News Comments > Guild Wars 2: Flame and Frost - The Gathering Storm Launches
12. Re: Guild Wars 2: Flame and Frost - The Gathering Storm Launches Feb 27, 2013, 16:18 sauron

Marvin T. Martian wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 14:59:
They are getting slammed pretty hard in the forums. Not going over very well at all.
Devs are bunkered down and not responding.

I'm actually liking the changes in this patch a lot. Apparently WvWvW loot drops are greatly increased, and drops from bosses are increased. I never really enjoyed fractals and am happy they are now optional. I like being in the open world, and am doing world completion. And I like some vertical progression - just so long as it isn't ring-fenced such that only the hardcore have access to it.

For me GW2 succeeds on all fronts. Sorry some of the other posters don't agree. I do think the tone on the forums yesterday was pretty negative but today it seems to be better. Some things that initially looked restrictive look to have been balanced by increasing drop rates or progression in other areas.

Kittens!

1436 Comments. 72 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo