Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for sauron

Real Name sauron   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description God of death, destruction and decay. Likes fluffy kittens.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 15, 2001, 03:31
Total Comments 1408 (Pro)
User ID 8692

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Feature Pack
34. Re: Guild Wars 2 Feature Pack Apr 17, 2014, 11:57 sauron

I've been going through some personal stuff and haven't been on this site recently, just came back this morning. I loved GW2 but after I got all my ascended stuff and legendary shield I had nothing to do except WvWvW, so moved on to FFXIV (which I also haven't played recently due to aforementioned personal stuff).

Is GW2 any more content-heavy now, or is it still the same? If they add a huge new expansion I'll play it like a shot, but until then I don't have anything to do.

Kittens!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > This Day in Gaming History
5. Re: This Day in Gaming History Dec 2, 2013, 12:37 sauron

Hordes of the Underdark was pretty darn good!

DX:IW, not so much.

Kittens!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2013, 16:50 sauron

jdreyer wrote on Nov 29, 2013, 13:46:
Reversible wound closure: Dissolvable dendritic thioester hydrogel for sealing wounds

Holy technobabble Batman! Not even Wesley Crusher would venture that phrase.

I've used cyanoacrylate wound closure gel before, when I was doing work experience on a swill pig farm in the UK. Got an open cut down one finger and the environment was utterly bacteria-saturated - the farmer used to pick up waste food, grind it in a grinder powered by a diesel truck engine, then boil it and feed it to the pigs. Kind of a fun job actually, they were a cool bunch of guys.

The cyano hurt like hell when it went on but the wound didn't get infected. So yeah, stuff like that sure has its uses.

Kittens!

26. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 17, 2013, 15:34 sauron

Verno wrote on Oct 17, 2013, 11:25:
The LOL Vikings and Horribad Giants in a race to the bottom will be the game of the week.

The pictures of both sets of fans wearing bags on their heads should be good for some lulz, as well.

Kittens!

News Comments > DICE on BF4 Solo Play Improvements
23. Re: DICE on BF4 Solo Play Improvements Oct 9, 2013, 13:24 sauron

Julio wrote on Oct 8, 2013, 16:57:
maddog wrote on Oct 8, 2013, 10:50:
I am fine with no SP. Just give me MP modes with bots.

Agreed as well, I would buy BF4 if it had bots. Bots don't use hacks/cheats like a lot of the BF3 players do.

I might buy it if it had bots. I like to learn the maps and basic gameplay with bots before starting in on the MP public servers, no matter what the game. This also means I can help my team more when I do start MP, since I have some idea of what I'm doing.

The only game where bots didn't help me at all was Tribes 2 - I can't ski and/or aim a mortar in that one for the life of me. And the only game where I didn't use bots to practise was GW2, since it doesn't have any - and ya that was kind of a steep learning curve.

Kittens!

19. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 4, 2013, 16:56 sauron

Pigeon wrote on Sep 4, 2013, 15:48:
sauron wrote on Sep 4, 2013, 15:41:
Prez wrote on Sep 4, 2013, 12:26:
Verno wrote on Sep 4, 2013, 10:42:
Got my picks in, toot toot. I hope you all bet on the Jets!

Even a Jets fan wouldn't bet on the Jets if they wanted to win.

Free gift at every Jets home game this year is an official paper bag with eyeholes.

In other news, FFXIV sold 185,000 copies in Japan alone its first week of release. They just had to double server capacity. It's doing pretty well: News

I was thinking of giving it a try once they have the capacity issues sorted out aka, digital sales re-enabled. Sounds like it could be fun for a bit.

I really like it - even more than GW2 or LOTRO, both of which I enjoy a lot.

It's not a grind, you can play solo or in a group, the gameplay has a ton of depth, and there's bags of content and more to come.

Very recommended if you like MMOs or FF games - best one I've seen in quite a while.

Kittens!

15. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 4, 2013, 15:41 sauron

Prez wrote on Sep 4, 2013, 12:26:
Verno wrote on Sep 4, 2013, 10:42:
Got my picks in, toot toot. I hope you all bet on the Jets!

Even a Jets fan wouldn't bet on the Jets if they wanted to win.

Free gift at every Jets home game this year is an official paper bag with eyeholes.

In other news, FFXIV sold 185,000 copies in Japan alone its first week of release. They just had to double server capacity. It's doing pretty well: News

Kittens!

News Comments > On Star Citizen's $17M Haul
39. Re: On Star Citizen's $17M Haul Sep 2, 2013, 11:53 sauron

Parias wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 21:10:
Lots of good information and duiscussion

As an aside, you sound a lot like my old buddy Parias from the official IWar/IWar2 board - are you the same guy? My handle on that board was sauron1.

If it's the same, how nice to see you again!

Kittens!

News Comments > On Star Citizen's $17M Haul
16. Re: On Star Citizen's $17M Haul Sep 1, 2013, 15:35 sauron

Optional Nickname! wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 12:21:
I simply see who opposes it, who posts meaningless negativity right here in this very forum and compare their armchair accomplishments and delusional capabilities

I for one am not negative or rude. For example, I was very suspicious of the re-release of FFXIV, but bought it anyway and am now absolutely loving it. Totally happy to admit I was wrong on that one.

But SC has me worried. Mainly because to me it seems to be crossing the line between an even playing field and P2W. In most well run MMOs, the cash shop just allows small shortcuts or ways to speed up leveling, vanity cosmetics and the like. Don't you think allowing some players to start the game with a corvette is going to unbalance the gameplay? I can't see how it won't.

Kittens!

News Comments > Star Citizen Credit Sales
57. Re: Solved Sep 1, 2013, 11:56 sauron

I generally love space sims, but this one has too much weird stuff going on for me to trust it. I might try the single player part of it but am NOT going to even enter the MMO. Go up against some guy in a $1250 corvette? No thanks.

Funny thing is, all I play these days is MMOs. I know P2W when I see it, and I see it clearly right here.

Most blatant example I've ever encountered, actually. Shocked.

Kittens!

News Comments > Sony Online Entertainment Layoffs
12. Re: Sony Online Entertainment Layoffs Aug 29, 2013, 09:44 sauron

Smellfinger wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 22:09:
I played vanilla EverQuest off and on for about a year before abandoning the genre completely. The subscription model made the manipulative behavioral hooks too transparent and the creepiness eventually overwhelmed me.

I felt the same way about FFXI - after playing it for several years the tricks used by the developers to keep people hooked got ridiculous and creepy. And the grind got worse and worse - it's one of the few games I know that has destroyed marriages and college careers.

That kind of meaningless power creep simply to keep people playing is something LOTRO has managed to avoid, which is one reason I like it. Rather than recycle content or just add a new tier of weapons/armor, they release expansions which progress through the story. Isengard two years ago, Rohan last year, Helm's Deep this year, and so on. Each expansion also brings a level increase, as the stakes in the war get higher, armies are engaged, and Mordor looms closer.

Not sure what the heck they're going to do after they release the final Mordor expansion though. Literally, at that point the game will be complete.

Kittens!

News Comments > FF14 Sales Suspended Due to Positive Response
57. XIV Aug 28, 2013, 23:34 sauron

OK, I just made a character on Ridill and leveled to 6 or 7. The game is smooth as butter, beautiful, and well designed although no real new dynamics. No lag or login issues on this legacy server. Deep, deep gameplay and story, this and the very elegant artwork and design features seem to be its major draw.

I think it will sell by the truckload in Asia, especially in Japan where they love their stories, and it is also tailored to be compatible with LOTRO/GW2/WoW players in the US and Europe.

It is going to make a lot of money for SE. Very safe bet, very engaging. It doesn't have the groundbreaking novelty of GW2 but it adopts most of the innovations of that game and many from LOTRO and WoW. The community is polite and friendly. No real downside and it has a ton of immersion. I like it a lot, but don't play it if you don't enjoy a lot of dialogue from NPC's, they all have a lot to say.

Kittens!

41. Re: FF14 Sales Suspended Due to Positive Response Aug 28, 2013, 16:00 sauron

Theo wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 15:34:
HorrorScope wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 13:18:
sauron wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 13:04:
Best deal of the lot is GW2, which is totally free.

Where did you get GW's for free?

he didnt, its not.

This is true, I didn't get the game for free and it's not available for free. But once you have it, there is no subscription fee, and the content is continually updated, albeit incrementally.

I just wish there was more of it - would happily pay for an expansion.

Kittens!

32. Re: FF14 Sales Suspended Due to Positive Response Aug 28, 2013, 13:04 sauron

Acleacius wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 12:57:
Still not sure what I'm going to do about TESO now we know they are going with $15 US a month subs. I might have paid $10 a month, if the game had been good, $15 is just too much now days.

Same here. I occasionally pay $10 for VIP for a month in LOTRO if I'm playing a lot (eg off work sick for a few days), but in general I stopped subbing for MMOs. For $15 a month standard TESO would have to be really good.

For FFXIV to keep my interest it will have to be good as well, but I already have a bucketload of friends in that game who are coming over from FFXI - a ready-made community and guild. That's another factor.

Best deal of the lot is GW2, which is totally free. Only problem is, I ran out of content in that one. Release an expansion already!

Kittens!

29. Re: FF14 Sales Suspended Due to Positive Response Aug 28, 2013, 12:38 sauron

osage no onna wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 11:54:
sauron wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 09:57:
Cutter wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 09:50:
Acleacius wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 09:15:
Marketing ploy or good game?

Marketing ploy for sure.

Actually, I'm hearing the opposite. A bunch of friends are playing, and all of them are saying it's really, really good.

It can be both good and a marketing ploy. It's basically a Thing now that when you launch a new MMO you have to do a press release where you say how the game is practically too popular for its own good, and apologize profusely for how popular the game is, and how they're scrambling to meet this spectacular popularity, did we mention how popular the game is maybe you'd want to give it try too? Rolleyes

Well put, I agree.

A game so popular, its servers melt down from overwhelming demand. Sounds like a marketing executive's wet dream.

Kittens!

19. Re: FF14 Sales Suspended Due to Positive Response Aug 28, 2013, 10:35 sauron

Despoiler wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 10:26:
I'm digging the game so far. I'm level 20 after a couple days of playing. The world is gorgeous. It feels like every place in the world has had a lot of time spent building it. Even with all of the detail, all settings maxed, the game runs smooth as butter. (i5 2500K @ 4.3ghz, 7970 GHZ with 13.8 beta 2 drivers, 16GB RAM)

Quests types are pretty run of the mill. Kill, gather, delivery, class, and story. The animals and monsters are in true FF style. Unique takes on them. The class and story quests have cut scenes, which are really well done. There are also "fate". Think dynamic events from Warhammer Online and Rift. There are also "levemete". Think daily quests. There are battle, gathering, and crafting levemete to choose from so you can work on what you want to. There are a lot of ways to get xp and money in this game. You should never get stuck. There is a TON of quest text in this game. If you love reading you will love this game. Fortunately, you can quickly skip through if you just want to get on with it.

I've hit the first two light party(4 man) dungeons. They are straight forward and any MMO vet will breeze through them. Never-the-less they give some glimmer of what is to come. Again, they feel detailed and hand crafted as opposed to thrown together, reused, or auto generated. There is a short cut scene for the boss battle. Bosses look amazing so far. I've caught myself going "holy ****" once the cut scene started playing.

Sadly there is no PvP in the game right now, but the first PvP content should be coming with the 2.1 patch. So far as I know, they are planning on having a different set of skills just for PvP so there are no balance issues with PvE. Great idea IMO. I'm looking forward to it.

Overall, I am really enjoying this game much more than I thought I would. I'm more of a PvP player, but the PvE in this game is enjoyable.

Thanks, that sounds promising, I'll see how I dig it over the weekend.

Kind of amazed they're having server issues - I know those are very common at MMO launch but they do have 10 years of experience with FFXI! Then again, maybe it really is selling faster than they expected...

Kittens!

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2013, 10:06 sauron

Good luck! Hope you can get the fine and points reduced.

I don't usually have these troubles. If I get pulled over for speeding, the Fell Beast I'm riding just eats the policeman.

Kittens!

12. Re: FF14 Sales Suspended Due to Positive Response Aug 28, 2013, 09:57 sauron

Cutter wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 09:50:
Acleacius wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 09:15:
Marketing ploy or good game?

Marketing ploy for sure.

Actually, I'm hearing the opposite. A bunch of friends are playing, and all of them are saying it's really, really good. Apparently SE listened to all the criticism and completely redesigned the game.

I picked up a copy yesterday but haven't logged in yet. I'll play it over the weekend and get back to you guys. I play MMOs almost exclusively and hated the original - ditched it after like 15 minutes - so it will have to be really good to keep my attention.

Here's an early review from Massively: Clicky!

Kittens!

News Comments > Steve Ballmer to Retire
24. Re: Steve Ballmer to Retire Aug 23, 2013, 13:17 sauron

And there was much rejoicing. Lack of vision and unwilling to take risks. A follower, not an inspired leader.  

Kittens!

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Free Trial & Heroic Edition Launch
16. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial & Heroic Edition Launch Aug 23, 2013, 13:13 sauron

Total-Khaos wrote on Aug 23, 2013, 10:38:
Verno wrote on Aug 23, 2013, 09:38:
Time to argue about who is or isn't playing this game!

I stopped playing after obtaining Twilight a few months after the game was released. There didn't seem like anything to really do after you hit max level and got a legendary aside from dungeons and stuff, which got really old after a while too.

Same here. Great game, but if they want me to go back they need an expansion, not a new edition of the base version. I have two max level characters with great gear, all crafts maxed, and a Legendary weapon (The Flameseeker Prophecies), and have finished almost all the content, so now I really have no reason to log in.

Instead, right now I'm playing LOTRO (tons of content, although too many 'Kill X wargs/goblins/orcs/boars' quests), and have pre-ordered FFXIV - will see how that one shapes up - looks promising.

For the guy who asked if GW2 is a good 'starter' MMO, yes I think it is. Minimal grind, maximum fun. But for MMO regulars, it runs out of content too quickly.

Kittens!

1408 Comments. 71 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo