Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Red

Real Name Red   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.redscull.com
Signed On Dec 17, 2000, 11:18
Total Comments 176 (Novice)
User ID 8335

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

News Comments > Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan Announced
8. Re: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan Announced Jan 26, 2016, 14:16 Red

From that video, it was a little hard to tell exactly how the gameplay works. Is it gauntlet/Diablo style? And man, if this has local coop, instant buy. My kids love ninja turtles.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Fallout 4 Patch Breaks Mod Support
4. Re: Fallout 4 Patch Breaks Mod Support Dec 7, 2015, 14:21 Red

Technically, it breaks unofficial mod support, as I don't believe mods are currently considered supported. Shouldn't that come with the official launch of GECK?

And second, I've seen a number of Reddit posts with seemingly simple workaround steps to getting mods working again with that patch. So if Bethesda did it on purpose, doesn't seem they tried that hard.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
1. Re: Morning Interviews Dec 4, 2015, 16:42 Red

Not to be a complainer. But I am a complainer. This article is from October, and as such, wasn't really about what I thought it'd be. I was hoping to learn a bit more about his opinions on FO4, but FO4 hadn't been released yet so there wasn't much meat in that regard.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 3, 2015, 13:04 Red

I think they see the continued success of the iPhone, which lacks removable battery and SD, and think that must be what customers want. And went that route. But the iPhone is successful despite not having removable battery/SD. Though personally, I'd never want my phone to have removable battery/SD just because that means more holes to collect lint and more brackets to wear out. But that's a feature Samsung had and should not have forsaken.  

News Comments > Fallout 4 Launch Trailer
59. Re: Fallout 4 Launch Trailer Nov 5, 2015, 22:59 Red

Of cour I can enjoy the games I play! By min-maxing and spending an excessive amount of time focused on my character builds. Sure, I probably need some kind of help. But that's what is fun to me.

I don't mean to say that being bad at combat is a gimp. That's just a build, a non-combat build. I mean that when some perks are flat out poor choices, inappropriate for any build no matter what synergies or style I'm trying to do. That's gimpy. That's bad design.

Every perk should be good (balanced) in its own way, in builds which synergize with it and make use of its strengths. That certainly doesn't mean every perk should be good in every build because that's boring and makes player choices less important. But if there are no builds where a perk plays a strong or key part, then that perk is poorly designed. There do not need to be junk or filler perks like there are commons in an MTG booster pack.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Build Planner
7. Re: Fallout 4 Build Planner Nov 5, 2015, 20:21 Red

Task wrote on Nov 5, 2015, 10:57:
Since it seems there is now little point to intelligence/perception for questing from the leaks (and seemingly only for building things and not talking your way out of things), max endurance/strength is best ... so 10 STR, 10 END, and then 4 Luck. It only requires 3 luck to get Bloody Mess, Max Bloody mess also kills surrounding opponents, max iron fist (double melee damagex4), max endurance skills, max adamantium, max toughness, max life giver (auto-heal). Ultimate in cheese, definitely some OP easy-time skyrimmy skills in there.
Yeah, I don't understand why the perks seem so obviously imbalanced. I mean, shouldn't all perks have a relatively equal amount of appeal? At least if you maximize any applicable situational strengths. I know that personally I think that's really important.

Sure, I can be bad at a game by being poorly skilled, and that can include creating a poor character build (lacking synergy and general purpose), not just lame twitch instincts. But I shouldn't be a gimp just because I picked a perk that is hands down crap (relative to other options). That's not my poor choices. That's me being a sucker and picking something that no one should ever pick because it's garbage by design.

And reading through all those perks, some of them just seem bad. I mean, the game is combat focused, so like for the most part, shouldn't you maximize at least one combat area, like rifles or melee or something, before you branch out into support skills like lockpicking or town building or any of that stuff?

How good are the perks that let you pacify foes when they have to be lower level than you to even try, when typically in a game your ideal foes are equal or higher than you in level? Once they're lower level, they're probably easy; why bother pacifying or turning them to your side once they're fodder status?

How good are the companion perks when you only get one companion at a time? That especially bothered me. I was hoping at the very least that we could travel with both Dogmeat and another company. But I have to give up the mutt to use someone else? After all the hype they put on Dogmeat being in the game? Lame.

And what about all those weapon/armor mod level perks? They sort of imply to me that I have to get them or my gear will be crap. Or maybe gear does have so much influence and those perks are crap. Will the choice really be balanced??

I know a lot of this seems petty, but to me, building my character is the main thing I look forward to. I love building characters in a game that offers extensive variability. But the same thing will backfire and ruin it if the options aren't properly balanced. I want to make thoughtful decisions, not read a wiki on which useless skills to avoid and thus get stuck with the only cookie cutter build that really works.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Launch Trailer
52. Re: Fallout 4 Launch Trailer Nov 5, 2015, 20:03 Red

The main thing I don't like about the new perk system is that you can spend perk points to raise SPECIAL in lieu of actually picking a perk. This means there is a value ratio between perks and specials, and then that means there's potential to fuck up the balance of them. For example, Idiot Savant boils down to a net gain in experience. Well that's exactly what Intelligence does. And since you can spend a perk point on either.. does 1x Idiot Savant equate to 1x Intelligence (statistically averaged)? Hopefully more, since +Intelligence technically has a side benefit of unlocking an additional perk choice.

Is Bethesda proven at knowing how to balance stuff like this? Because if I spend a point on Idiot Savant, and later learn it's unequivocally inferior and that I should have added Intelligence instead, it will piss me off enough to stop playing (or at least start over). Just looking at the perk builder tool, I have some serious doubts that the various perks are anywhere close to balanced. And since it still hasn't been made clear that you can be successful via any approach that isn't somewhat fighter focused (this is an FPS first after all, not an RPG), I suspect that if I don't spend a hefty portion of my perks into combat, I'll be totally gimping myself. And being able to gimp yourself is bad design.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
15. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 21, 2015, 22:32 Red

Cousins isn't incest. Nor is it biologically problematic to any significant degree. I didn't watch the yahoo episodes, but if it was only cousins, it wasn't promoting incest. Just a cultural taboo (that not all cultures share).  

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
3. Re: Sunday Mobilization Oct 5, 2015, 14:41 Red

Unless you're contributing to the SETI program on your phone, aren't the single thread numbers more impactful to the average person? Multi-core is everywhere now, and I'm sure the OS enjoys being able to run a few services in the background without impacting the main app the user is interacting with, but for the most part, there is one primary thread that the user is concerned with at any given time. It's the one that, fast or slow, they actually feel.

Web benchmarks are a fairly universal and unbiased way of comparing devices. Because we all use the web, probably a lot. If your phone had sluggish web performance, would you even notice or care that the multi-threaded apps were peppy before just declaring it slow?

Comparing external screen numbers may be the most fair, but it's also useless except for geeky number comparisons. Users play games on the device's screen. That's the only experience that truly matters, so while it's true that a lower res yields faster frames for the same horsepower, and you could call that cheating (it is), it's also smart. It gives the customer the better game experience.

Whether or not they're in fact more powerful, Apple is at least focusing on the correct areas, the areas that actually make a difference to an average customer's user experience. If non-Apple device makers have the ability to make superior hardware, they should focus those efforts for optimum user experience instead of test-result supremacy. Surely the Android user-base cares about more than numbers.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2015, 14:19 Red

For lots of people, it makes sense to have one device be their sole computer. That group of people has no need of a desktop/laptop computer. A tablet is perfect for them, and if tablets like today's had existed, they'd never have had a computer. If they do a lot of typing, they get a keyboard-case for it.

But for the people who do actually need desktop horsepower, it will never be the case that they'll own one device because it will always be the case that trade-offs must be made to cram the computer into the smallness of a phone/tablet, and those trade-offs will never be worth it if you don't care about the smallness. However amazing the little devices get, the desktops/laptops will be that much better too.

As far as the operating systems go, it doesn't make sense for a touch-focused consumption and light creation device to utilize the same approach as a full production device. You'd make compromises that make both suboptimal, and that's bad for everyone. The people who need only one device want it to be tuned to be the best, and the people who need a desktop will be perfectly fine owning a proper computer plus their phones/tablets.

Even if you do make a hybrid for the middle group that kind of wants more horsepower and doesn't mind a bulky tablet, they still be best suited by some kind of OS toggle, which I guess is how the Surface works, right? So it should remain true that if Apple made a hybrid, it would not combine iOS and OSX, but rather, toggle between them.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 2, 2015, 14:16 Red

Pretty soon we're going to have to take everything back off the grid. Then what purpose in life will the hackers have?  

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 25, 2015, 14:16 Red

At Pigeon: yeah, we're in agreement that the verge article is stupid. It is ridiculous for reviewers to praise the iPhone so highly just because it's successful. That shit is non-sense. My point was just that the iPhone's success could be explained by something other than delusion, and other than the bogus assertion from the Verge that it's truly superior.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: iOS9 making your iPhone slow? Sep 25, 2015, 14:10 Red

"App thinning" and "app slicing..." How is that so hard? We called that shit DLLs and external assets in the 80s. This is a decades old approach to programming. In fact, it's older than some of Apple's engineers I'd wager. How can they struggle so much over something I'd expect an intern to have mastery over?  

News Comments > Fallout 4 Progression Details
12. Re: Fallout 4 Progression Details Sep 25, 2015, 12:57 Red

As a die-hard fan of 1 and 2, and someone who enjoyed the gamespy pvp in Tactics, I did not have a negative reaction to reading about this new system. And I'm pretty accustomed to having negative initial reactions to things. So I'm still hopeful I'll enjoy this new Fallout.

Meaningful decisions in leveling is a key thing for me. And they claim that they tried to balance all the perks so you're making those pro-con decisions. I don't know if they're solid enough designers to make that a reality, but at least they recognize that's important.

The "no level cap" would only become a problem if playing through all the main content levels you so high that you can meaningfully acquire most of the perks. But with "270" available perks, it really depends on what level I can expect to reach without senseless grinding. If it's like 50 or 70, that's not so bad from the perspective of actually designing my character vs just having everything (which would be totally boring).

4. Re: The Apple bias is real Sep 24, 2015, 18:52 Red

Pigeon wrote on Sep 24, 2015, 18:23:
it is a mass delusion.
Why can't it just be good marketing combined with contentment? Apple had the first actually awesome smartphone. That got early adopters and word-of-mouth advocates. Since then, it has done really well at marketing plus mostly not pissing off anyone who bought into it.

It doesn't matter now who makes the better product. Because no non-iPhone smart phone is better enough to bother going through the effort of switching. Not for an average person. Nor for an enthusiast who happens to have invested a lot into the Apple ecosystem.

Apple has a momentum that will last until they seriously fuck something up.

I have an iPhone. I make no claim that they're superior to Android phones. There's a lot of shit wrong with them, in fact. Or at least sub-par. But I am also a tech enthusiast/developer and like trying everything, including Android devices. I have nothing bad to say about the newer iterations, but there is also nothing compelling about them to make me switch from a product I'm content with. My next phone will be another iPhone because there is just no reason for it not to be.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Videos
14. Re: Fallout 4 Videos Sep 16, 2015, 22:17 Red

I really liked Fallout Tactics! I'm not going to try to convince anyone it was in fact a Fallout game, though. It was just a cool tactics multiplayer game set in the Fallout universe. The single player was meh.

I couldn't really stomach F3, but I think it's because I was bitter that it was FPS. I'm going to try F4 though. Going to go in with really low expectations and hope it's just got some good post-apocaltypic fun.

I've cease given up hope on a real Fallout sequel, but on someone's advice, I am planning to give Wasteland 2 Director's Cut a try in a month.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
8. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 16, 2015, 14:38 Red

Buckermann wrote on Sep 16, 2015, 08:51:
Apple pays Apple to put Apple software on Apple devices?

I'm quite sure that Apple will have a bigger profit with a device that has (for example) iTunes pre-installed than one without.

Also, Apple pre-installs quite a bit of non-Apple software.

(Disclaimer: don't own any Apple device, but have to do with them at work)

What you say is true, but I don't think Apple is considering removing any of that default software. Only allowing it to be removed after the fact, by the user. So any benefit of it being there by default would still exist.

News Comments > Fallout 4 S.P.E.C.I.A.L. Strength Video
26. Re: Fallout 4 S.P.E.C.I.A.L. Strength Video Sep 12, 2015, 21:24 Red

It's not that I'm surprised the mainstream audience prefers FPS. It's that they don't even understand anything else exists. How do they know they don't like a tactics turn based game? Can they even name one? Much less tried an awesome one like Fallout?

There were FPSs back in my hey day. Doom is ancient. Duke. Heretic. Quake eventually. There were also RTSs like Dune, C&C, war1, TA. And lots of old CRPGs. And Fallout being an old tactics style RPG.

Why did some of these genres, namely anything RPG, get merged in with the FPSs? Is liking tactics turn-based really niche? Or just forgotten? How do we know tons of players wouldn't love it given the opportunity? Classic Fallout didn't appeal to just a niche of total gamers then. That's how the franchise became so awesome that Fallout 3 could even exist. Did the realm of total gamers radically expand in a way that included 0% new tactics fans? That makes no sense to me.

News Comments > Fallout 4 S.P.E.C.I.A.L. Strength Video
24. Re: Fallout 4 S.P.E.C.I.A.L. Strength Video Sep 11, 2015, 20:12 Red

descender wrote on Sep 11, 2015, 13:36:
I wish they'd just reboot this already. The gameplay in FO3/NV is boring as fuck. I don't understand the swooning over either game.

FPS combat was simply a terrible (and poorly implemented) mechanic for this franchise.
Is it only possible to realize this if you're old enough to have played the previous games? Because I am an old fart and agree with you one meelion percent. But when I try to explain how this sucks to younger people, they react like I have no idea what I'm talking about. "Just play it in third person if you hate FPS so much." They have truly no idea what they're even talking about, or what I'm talking about. They just have no concept of what tactics oer turn-based gameplay even is. They grew up with literally every game as FPS in some way or another.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
9. Re: Sunday Metaverse Aug 31, 2015, 16:53 Red

I still don't understand how this or any other cord cutting ever works out for consumers. Cable companies have all the power. All of this streamed data still goes through their service. If they don't make enough money selling cable television, they'll make it up be pricing cable internet higher, particularly via usage caps.

That's one advantage to using cable over streaming. Nothing from cable proper counts against my internet data cap. NetFlix isn't just $9. Apple TV won't be just $40. By the time I pay for a higher data cap plan to handle the streaming, cord cutting doesn't save anything.

My family's data usage without NetFlix/Prime was always well under 100GB/mo. Now the four of us are using NetFlix and Prime, and we're closer to 450GB/mo. But we also still use TiVo with normal cable. I can't imagine what our usage would be if all shows were streamed. The biggest internet cap available to us is 550GB/mo then $10 per 50GB.

176 Comments. 9 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo