Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Red

Real Name Red   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.redscull.com
Signed On Dec 17, 2000, 11:18
Total Comments 137 (Novice)
User ID 8335

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 16, 2014, 20:31 Red

jdreyer wrote on Jun 16, 2014, 15:32:
Immunized People Getting Whooping Cough.

Anti-vaxxers can DIAF.
Vaccines aren't magic. Just because one is losing its effectiveness doesn't mean the whole practice is a sham.

And vaccines are generally not 100% effective, especially not after some period of time. They merely reduce your chance of contracting a disease (usually significantly). Nothing new here except yet another case of germs adapting to our countermeasures.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
3. Re: Sunday Metaverse May 18, 2014, 22:48 Red

What good does shaming ISPs do if broadband internet is a monopoly in most (?) of the US? I've only lived in Texas, so maybe it's different elsewhere, but here, there is no choice. Cable modem is the only form of internet which is truly fast, and there is no area with more than one choice of cable company. That's why they can add data caps and increase prices whenever they want. The only customer recourse is to cut out cable television and broadband internet, and that's like volunteering to live in 1995.  

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
4. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs May 18, 2014, 22:41 Red

Cutter wrote on May 18, 2014, 15:11:
Easiest solution: Stop supporting Apple.
Stop supporting Android would be equally as effective. Besides, it's not all of Apple which is the issue, only the iMessage service. Which, admittedly, is shoddy in more than just this regard.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
1. Re: Saturday Mobilization May 10, 2014, 14:20 Red

Sprint's sole marketable feature is unlimited data. So now users consuming 5GB/mo can expect even slower speeds than what Sprint's notorious for? Are they trying to run themselves out of business?  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Apr 13, 2014, 13:47 Red

Wha? Sluggish and unstable? What XP are you talking about? The whole reason so many people never bothered to upgrade off XP is because it's so lightweight, stable, and speedy...  

News Comments > Into the Black
7. Re: Into the Black Apr 3, 2014, 21:19 Red

Cutter wrote on Apr 2, 2014, 22:02:
Shit, you can talk to the dead but can't pull a few winning numbers out of the air?
While I don't deny that this psychic stuff is rubbish and fantasy, how can you make that statement? Surely there is a significant and fundamental difference between seeing/predicting the future and conversing with the dead. Entirely separate super powers unless there was a memo I missed revealing that all ghosts know the future.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
6. Re: RE: Follow up Apr 3, 2014, 20:58 Red

UConnBBall wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 16:09:
Now that Sprint, AT&T and T-Mobile are going away from monthly contracts who is going to pay...
What country are you in? Your numbers and assertions do not match the US situation. Sticker price 5S is $650, and big retail stores regularly sell it $50-100 less than that. The 5C is just as good for average users and is commonly $500 or less. So $700?

Plus, the new contract-free plans are actually MORE appealing now to the kinds of people who can't stomach sticker shock. Instead of $200 down and a $36 activation fee, you pay $0 down, no fee, and make 0% interest payments. If anything, iPhones are more "affordable" than ever.

All that said.. This is about tablets. There is simply no competition in the tablet market right now. You either pay $500 for an iPad Air, or you pay some amount less than that for a dust collector.

News Comments > Women In Video Games Initiative
35. Re: Women In Video Games Initiative Mar 29, 2014, 18:10 Red

Eirikrautha wrote on Mar 28, 2014, 23:15:
I feel bad for you. Well not really, because you're just a faceless being on the internet. But if I did have the power of empathy, I would empathize. All this hate. Your stance is the sole voice of reason and intelligence in this thread. Everyone else is trapped in a world of small mindedness, unable to fathom that you cannot overcome stereotypes by promoting stereotypes. You're not alone. But very few people are so enlightened.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2014, 13:33 Red

The claim is that "nothing" can change an anti-vaxxer's mind, yet was everything tried? No. Only a single thing was tried ("education"). And the pro-vaxxers think they're the intelligent or scientific party? Laughable. Pro-vaxxers are generally propaganda-regurgitating sheeple. Don't get me wrong, so are a lot of anti-vaxxers. But the dolts shouldn't be the target audience anyway. Assuming everyone in this discussion isn't a moron, because there are highly educated anti-vaxxers, is the first step to making an actual difference.

The second step when trying to convince someone to change their opinion? It's called communication! Fucking ask them why they hold their current view and what could make them change their mind! You can't mindlessly throw bullshit at someone and expect a change when you haven't even bothered to understand anything about why they have that perspective. Of course that's not productive.

I'll go out on a limb here and assume many of you here are non-religious. I know I've come to understand that while religion might provide some value in a person's spiritual or moralistic life decisions, it's largely irrelevant to factual discussion of science and real-world problems. And so when someone with blind faith in religion as the source of all answers tries to convince me to see their perspective by quoting the bible solely, making no effort to understand that I don't hold it in the same reverence they do, and that I'll only respond to repeatable, real-world evidence.. well I pretty much just ignore them entirely as intellectually inferior sheeple.

This is exactly how intelligent anti-vaxxers view most pro-vaxxers, who've done little or no research on their own. They have asked no questions, weighed no pros and cons, and made no educated decisions. They trust in the corporations and governments telling them that vaccinating is the only right path. Pro-vaxxers don't understand that in the analogy to religion, they are the blindly faithful, non-thinking zealots who lack the breadth of mind to fathom why everyone else doesn't simply do as they're told or believe what they do. And they're so ignorantly passionate that they refuse to even try.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 27, 2014, 17:58 Red

Why do people keep saying that Google's super fast internet will help developers innovate new types of content? I want it as a consumer, but as a developer, the last thing I want is website visitors who can download my entire server of content (at considerable bandwidth cost to me) without a second thought. Hosting costs have been coming down too, but not at nearly the same speed/price ratio that Google's service represents.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 17, 2014, 12:46 Red

AT&T, Time Warner, Verizon.. those guys are doing a fantastic job capitalizing on the pay-for-your-preferred-laws system that is the US government. The corruption is so obvious it's mind-numbing. I don't know why they even bother with the facade of promoting competition or protecting consumers. It's 100% bullshit.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jan 15, 2014, 19:23 Red

Where was the test with babes that also had professional skills? This test seems very unsound. It's not even a true A B test because too many variables were changed.

The babes might not have known how to begin the sales process or even that they were supposed to convince visitors to buy or sign up for anything, much less have any talent at it. So of course they didn't generate leads. The whole test was stacked against them.

Eye candy gets people to notice you. A solid product and good salespeople then get people to stay or spend. This test proves nothing except that you can't sell anything without sales personnel. It demonstrates nothing about what kind of sales person is more effective.

News Comments > Dodge Wars Announced
1. Re: Dodge Wars Announced Jan 15, 2014, 19:10 Red

I read that title as doge wars at first. And I will not deny I was intrigued.  

News Comments > Leaked Fallout 4 Details?
4. Re: Leaked Fallout 4 Details? Dec 11, 2013, 22:36 Red

Is it actually a new Fallout game, or a first person action game set in the Fallout universe but entirely lacking true Fallout play mechanics like Fallout 3? I assume the latter.

I realize that my wanting the old tactics-like mechanics is a minority opinion given that Fallout 3 was successful, but man, I would be so psyched about a new, legitimate successor to the old Fallout franchise.

News Comments > Unannounced Blizzard Game Revealed
32. Re: Unannounced Blizzard Game Revealed Dec 10, 2013, 15:21 Red

Thank you for that lengthy and detailed reply. I really appreciate you taking the time. I'm not in the beta, but I did have a strong curiosity about the game, and you seem to know what you're talking about.  

30. Re: Unannounced Blizzard Game Revealed Dec 10, 2013, 14:53 Red

Devinoch wrote on Dec 10, 2013, 14:46:
Hearthstone has potential, but...
Isn't arena mode supposed to address the balance concern? At least in the sense that your deck is equal relative to others' decks because everyone is playing from a random pool instead of a pay-to-win collection?

18. Re: Unannounced Blizzard Game Revealed Dec 10, 2013, 12:12 Red

I actually liked many things about Diablo 3, though undeniably it couldn't hold a candle to D2, and wasn't anywhere close to what it should have been. Its main problem was that its lead designers were amateurs but refused to acknowledge it. And so I wonder if Blizzard has any truly talented designers left, or just a bunch of guys riding coattails and puffing out their chests. I think I'm more forgiving than a lot of you Blue's posters, yet I'm off the Blizzard bandwagon too.

Blizzard doesn't have the mojo they once had, so vague "announcements" from them are meaningless. They need to impress and wow us with actual product if they want attention.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 8, 2013, 18:31 Red

What even is this nonsense about security apps on mobiles? How do you install anti-malware on an iOS device when very few types of operations are allowed to execute once an app is backgrounded? You can't even modify files outside your own app's sandbox. Safari doesn't support plugins, either. Do they consider a device unprotected when it is in fact unprotectable? Cause that just seems stupid.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 25, 2013, 22:51 Red

Fantaz wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 17:57:
I want 25601600 on my computer monitor... having only 1440p is not enough, and the thought of having the extra pixels is maddening!
But it's really just 1280x800 running high dpi (4 pixels per pixel, aka retina). While I bet your computer monitor is not high dpi, literally running 2560x1440, and offers vastly more usable real estate.

I guess your point is really just that if these little screens can do it, why can't we have big monitors at that res too? Which is a good point. Why can't we?

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 17, 2013, 21:11 Red

Those before and after pics remind me of before and after pics from plastic surgery gone wrong. You go under thinking you're getting your nose thinned a bit and wake up a hideous monster.  

137 Comments. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo