Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for rexbinary

Real Name rexbinary   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname RaZ0r!
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 11, 2000, 16:29
Total Comments 638 (Apprentice)
User ID 8127

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 27, 2013, 21:35 RaZ0r!

I thought for sure that Ballmer must have hit someone at the meeting after reading that headline. Although that would have been odd as there should have been plenty of chairs to throw.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Rising Storm: Free Island Assault Pack and Free Weekend
5. Re: Rising Storm: Free Island Assault Pack and Free Weekend Sep 27, 2013, 17:09 RaZ0r!

LittleMe wrote on Sep 27, 2013, 12:50:
It's an awesome game, but lately I find myself playing Project Reality when I want to PvP.

PvP? You've been playing too many MMOs.

News Comments > SteamOS Announced
69. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 16:55 RaZ0r!

This is a great day in PC Gaming. To clear up some confusions:

1. Valve doesn't need a desktop Linux. There are plenty of those, and the current Steam client works fine on all of the Linux distros should you chose one. Also, their clients for Windows and Mac OS X are not going away.

2. SteamOS (which remember is Linux) will run NATIVE games, just as the current Steam client runs NATIVE games on Linux, Windows, and Mac. They don't need DirectX ported anywhere.

3. Valve has gotten many developers to already fast track releases to Linux. In just a little over a year I have 80 games out of my Steam library available for Linux. In the announcement: "Hundreds of great games are already running natively on SteamOS. Watch for announcements in the coming weeks about all the AAA titles coming natively to SteamOS in 2014." This means Valve has big publishers on board.

4. Also announced: "Access the full Steam catalog of nearly 3000 games and desktop software titles via in-home streaming." This allows you to stream any game from any Mac or Windows PC running the normal Steam client in your home to your living room PC running SteamOS. This will allow you to play what non Linux native games you might have in the living room on SteamOS.

5. The biggest thing is this shows Microsoft (and all platforms really) that gaming can be moved off their platform. I think you might see a real reinvestment in gaming from Microsoft if they are interested in keeping Windows relevant to gamers, or they may just let it go because they are too busy chasing the iPad or phones or something.

News Comments > More on Steam Living Room Plans Next Week
18. Re: More on Steam Living Room Plans Next Week Sep 20, 2013, 19:49 RaZ0r!

goatman wrote on Sep 20, 2013, 15:18:
However, Valve needs to keep their investors happy and the board happy and hence must find new revenue streams.

Valve is a privately owned company. Only Gabe has to be happy.

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Launches
24. Re: MechWarrior Online Launches Sep 18, 2013, 20:42 RaZ0r!

The_Pink_Tiger wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 19:25:
Now admittedly, I am far (far, far, far, far, FAR*) more interested in a Mech game that has a competent single-player campaign than another iteration of deathmatch, but you know how it is; beggars can't be choosers, right? So I investigated MWO, hoping to find an easement to that chronic itch to ride a hundred-ton, laser-spewing bipedal battle-tank across interstellar battlefields.

Investing into a game that has ONLINE in the title when looking for a single player game is always going to be a bad call. Also, there is no real deathmatch in the game. The closest is Team Deathmatch, and the other modes are objectives based.

News Comments > Diablo III Auction Houses Shutting Down Next Year
38. Re: Diablo III Auction Houses Shutting Down Next Year Sep 17, 2013, 17:33 RaZ0r!

Krovven wrote on Sep 17, 2013, 17:07:
They will need to do "something" to allow players easy ways to sell/trade their gear that isn't based on a chat room.

Yeah, they should ban people who sell for real money is what they should do. It's a game not a job.

News Comments > Void of Darkness Next Week; Preorders Underway
1. Re: Void of Darkness Next Week; Preorders Underway Sep 17, 2013, 17:00 RaZ0r!

This looks like it could be a cool little game. I hope it works out well for the dev.  

News Comments > Diablo III Auction Houses Shutting Down Next Year
30. Re: Diablo III Auction Houses Shutting Down Next Year Sep 17, 2013, 16:44 RaZ0r!

Man I must not be fully awake yet, as I thought Blizzard was shutting down the auction house in Diablo 3. Isn't that crazy?  

News Comments > Valve Remains Bullish on Linux
18. Re: Valve Remains Bullish on Linux Sep 16, 2013, 23:45 RaZ0r!

2nd_floor wrote on Sep 16, 2013, 22:54:
Does anybody know, if somebody were to tune and optimize the Linux kernel and X Windows and even some of the other software (not drivers for now), what kind of performance we might get out of "gaming distribution"? Or is this what Sony has done with FreeBSD and the PS?

I know that optimizing graphics drivers can make a big difference in games. Is it worthwhile to optimize the kernel and other software also?

All that is already ongoing in Linux. Everything is constantly being optimized. Xorg is being replaced by Wayland which should be a big jump. Nvidia has been optimizing their proprietary driver, but now even more so with Valve's help. Just pick your favorite Linux, it's all good.

14. Re: Valve Remains Bullish on Linux Sep 16, 2013, 22:10 RaZ0r!

LittleMe wrote on Sep 16, 2013, 21:55:
Talk is cheap. Valve needs to start their own linux distro: Valve Linux or Steam Linux or something. Then they can tightly tune it for gaming. The writing on on the wall for Ubuntu is who is losing money.

Why? Steam runs on any Linux currently. Why would Valve want to manage their own OS? Are you having performance problems under Linux?

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Steam_under_Linux

7. Re: Valve Remains Bullish on Linux Sep 16, 2013, 20:49 RaZ0r!

In less than a year I now have 80 games on Steam for Linux free from my Windows purchases. Of the ones I have ran on Linux, they all worked fine and performed great.

I foresee Linux being the primary gaming platform in the near future, but only time will tell. Certainly no one would miss Windows anyways.

News Comments > PC Grand Theft Auto V Evidence?
43. Re: PC Grand Theft Auto V Evidence? Sep 15, 2013, 20:33 RaZ0r!

The last one I played was GTA3 on PC and it was kinda cool, but really not my kind of game. If it is released for PC, has no additional DRM, and no performance issues, then I'll pick it up for $10 (or maybe hold out for $5) on Steam sale with all DLC.  

News Comments > Timothy Zahn's Parallax Kickstarter
12. Re: Timothy Zahn's Parallax Kickstarter Sep 14, 2013, 16:23 RaZ0r!

Another 4X game?

Endless Space, StarDrive, and Distant Worlds: Shadows released recently, and Horizon, Star Lords, Endless Legends are in development.

I love 4X games and having a lot of choices is fine with me, but I just don't know if there is enough demand for 4X to support that many titles. Backing one on Kickstarter would be out of the question for me.

Kickstarter is a great tool for bringing games to the market that don't currently exist and big publishers don't want to make, like Star Citizen, but not for another 4X game. That would be like Kickstarting a Call of Duty title.

News Comments > PAYDAY 2 Sells 1.58 Million Units
3. Re: PAYDAY 2 Sells 1.58 Million Units Sep 13, 2013, 22:12 RaZ0r!

Pankin wrote on Sep 13, 2013, 20:53:
Wow, 80%?

Wait, is that high or low for 2013?

For EA that would threaten their survivability.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Rise of Venice
1. Re: Gone Gold - Rise of Venice Sep 5, 2013, 21:50 RaZ0r!

Hmm I was not under the impression this was shipping anytime soon. Maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention. Regardless, I was taking a wait and see approach to this game anyway.

Which really I should with all of them, but sometimes I still pull the trigger early. Like I pre-ordered Europa Universalis IV. I just figured there was no way Paradox could screw it up, but they very well could have. So I try not to ever pre-order but I sometimes fail.

News Comments > Steam Trade Offers Launch
2. Re: Steam Trade Offers Launch Sep 5, 2013, 09:44 RaZ0r!

Tim wrote on Sep 5, 2013, 09:28:
I want to trade games, or give them away to friends when I no longer need them.

Please?

Unfortunately that is up to the publishers, not Valve or Steam. Also, Valve allowing game trading is probably not really in their best interest either. With AAA games going as cheap as two bucks on sale nowadays I'm not sure they are worth trading.

News Comments > Steam Hardware Survey & Linux
4. Re: Steam Hardware Survey & Linux Sep 4, 2013, 12:54 RaZ0r!

Steam works great on my machine running Fedora 19 x86_64. Seems like every day there is new games popping up on Steam for Linux that I purchased on Steam for Windows.

I dual boot Fedora and Win 7, and only boot into Windows to play games. I use Fedora for everything else. Maybe soon, especially at the rate games keep popping up in Steam for Linux, I won't have to bother booting Windows anymore.

I do think there is a bug though, as I have never seen the Steam Hardware Survey appear on Linux.

News Comments > Natural Selection 2 Expansion Released; Free Weekend Underway
8. Re: Natural Selection 2 Expansion Released; Free Weekend Underway Aug 31, 2013, 04:09 RaZ0r!

I'm not sure why this MOD team felt the need to create their own engine? It's been nothing but a thorn in their side. No 5.1 audio, poor poor performance, etc. They should have just stuck with the source engine, I'm sure someone at Valve would have helped them out a little on their special needs like rendering the environmental stuff.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Sid Meier's Ace Patrol & Space Ace
6. Re: Ships Ahoy - Sid Meier's Ace Patrol & Space Ace Aug 28, 2013, 01:23 RaZ0r!

Cutter wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 01:04:
Just like Dragon's Lair, they were both such a rip off. An absolute fortune must have been wasted on that game by kids everywhere when it first came out. Remember you'd pop in your quarter, start, make a wrong move, die once more, game over. Wtf?! I think I wasted about $5 before I finally quit in disgust and went back to Defender or Star Castle.

A quarter? Both were 50 cents a play here!

News Comments > Dirty Bomb Renamed Extraction
8. Re: Dirty Bomb Renamed Extraction Aug 27, 2013, 22:15 RaZ0r!

I really liked Enemy Territory: Quake Wars. I wonder if anyone still plays it? I might could find my copy around here somewhere....  

638 Comments. 32 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo