Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bert

Real Name Bert   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Gunz
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 18, 2000, 04:33
Total Comments 114 (Novice)
User ID 7486

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
48. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 14, 2014, 18:08 Gunz

Mad Max RW wrote on Mar 14, 2014, 16:12:
Cheapest around here (New Haven, CT) is $3.79 for regular gas. It's even worse further up toward Hartford and along the interstate.

We probably shouldn't flaunt our "cheap" rural, east coast, US gas prices. Our EU and California friends will get jealous (over more than our mad gaming skillz ; )

Back on topic: as long as Amazon and others fairly adjust their cost of doing business, I'm OK with that. My fear is that we are gonna see more and more price 'adjustments' as companies (like Netflix just did) start paying extortion money to ISPs so their customers can continue to shop/download/stream and browse without bottlenecks and pay walls popping up all over the place.

Again, maybe I'm just paranoid... but the recent Netflix deal with Comcast (and similar deals with AT$T [my TV/Internet provider] and Veri$on [my phone company] right around the corner) puts the fear in me.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

46. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 14, 2014, 13:51 Gunz

Watched "Diehard" for the billionth time the other day and was struck by the L.A. gas station (where the street cop buys his snacks) sign that advertises regular gas for 77 cents a gallon. In Raleigh, NC, my cheapest fuel option is $3.29 a gallon - as of about 15 min. ago.  

Console Gaming > XCOM: Enemy Unknown/Within Xbox Live Pricing
1. XCOM: Enemy Unknown/Within Xbox Live Pricing Mar 14, 2014, 01:59 Gunz

Anyone know why "XCOM: Enemy Unknown" and "XCOM: Enemy Within" are the same price on (the US) Xbox Live Marketplace? And why are they even still selling 'Unknown' when 'Within' is the same game with some reportedly great add-ons and all the DLC included? Shouldn't 'Unknown' be gone, or, like, $10-15? If I bought Xbox 'Unknown', then all the DLC, then 'Within' (thinking it was "XCOM: Enemy Unknown II")I'd be pretty pissed!

43. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 14, 2014, 00:02 Gunz

So then it's inflation? I'm cool with that.

But I start to get a little worried when the year starts with a massive hit to net neutrality followed by price hikes from net-dependent companies, and news that folks (so far only Netflix that I know of) are making 'preferred provider' deals with comm companies. Guess I'm just paranoid...

40. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 13, 2014, 23:09 Gunz

Is this a long overdue (inflation) price increase or a hike based on some behind-the-scenes wheeling and dealing with Comcast, AT&T, Verizon and friends?

Netflix has made news recently for striking a deal with Comcast (and most likely all major U.S. service providers soon enough - since the water smells like blood now) to "provide Netflix customers with a superior quality of service" over Comcast's network. I can only assume there will be a Netflix price hike coming down the line at some point (when they don't think it will kill the company). Is Amazon buying "preferred status" (as the recent gutting of 'net neutrality' seems to allow) and passing the burden of a new toll on to its customers? Are they being proactive; assuming they know they will have to pay preferred status tolls in the near future?

News Comments > BRINK Free Weekend
8. Re: BRINK Free Weekend Dec 2, 2011, 00:22 Gunz

So... when I first saw dev diary shorts on Xbox Live (when the game was mid development)they talked a LOT about the context-sensitive, one-button-activated, vault/slide/wall walk maneuvers you could pull off using nothing but the game geometry -- ala run up to a laser trip wire, hit the magic button, and you do a cool move like leap and tumble over it... or slide under it. Did they keep that rather cool looking feature in the game or did they dump it and pretend it never existed?  

News Comments > Videogame Physical Sales Down 10% in June
22. Re: Videogame Physical Sales Down 10% in June Jul 15, 2011, 01:50 Gunz

Quboid wrote on Jul 14, 2011, 22:44:
I go into my local Game store occasionally. I look around, read the back of a few games' boxes and think "Interesting, I must check out Metacritic and see how much it is on Steam." I can't imagine wanting a physical copy anymore.

That would me me too. I've been at this gaming thing for a long time (1981+/-) and I'm old and jaded... and I have kids, cats, dogs and... no time for bull-pucky and yammer about how great your game is. Gimme a demo and I'll download it and play it in the time I have left on this Earth ; )

This comment was edited on Jul 15, 2011, 01:58.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
24. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 9, 2011, 16:06 Gunz

6 words: cat fish, cat fish, cat fish : )

I'm a big catfish fan... and it's sometimes at its best when blackened and spicy!

Edit: I hate fishy-fish. Ug.

News Comments > Clandestiny for OS X
4. Re: Clandestiny of OS X Jan 11, 2011, 21:56 Gunz

Spending the $29 to upgrade has been on my back, back, back burner so it looks like I should just, as the shoe says, DO IT! : )

Thanks for the low-down on the app store. I look forward to giving it a look.

News Comments > Clandestiny for OS X
2. Re: Clandestiny of OS X Jan 11, 2011, 12:24 Gunz

I have yet to update my MBP to Snow Leopard (It's been on my to-do list for, what, 2 years now?) so I have not had a chance to play with the Mac app store. Is it any good?

I use Steam for Mac games but, sadly, Steam is just Mac -playable copies of games I used to play on my PC (Half-Life 2, etc.) for me. I've also tried stuff like Mac Games Arcade and the web (of course) to find *anything* new to play on my Mac laptop. Since my Mac is portable and my PC is as portable as a dishwasher... I'd like to play more games on my Mac while I'm on the road. I hope the Mac app store can help an old Mac/PC guy like me have a bit more fun before he croaks.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Co-optional? Sep 17, 2010, 03:43 Gunz

Man... The first thing me and The Wife did when we got home on the 14th was jump right into co-op Reach. Boy... If I'd bought a 4GB Slim so we wouldn't have to share a TV and 'box (like a friend of mine did) I would be VERY, VERY UNHAPPY.

You can't honestly believe that NO ONE at Bungie or Microsoft thought that a "Hard disk required for co-op" warning might sell more HDs and NOT piss off some of their most loyal customers?

I think I'd hold off on a Kinect bundle until we all read online what they forgot to print on the box!

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
4. Re: Beanies and inflatable swords ? Sep 12, 2010, 22:48 Gunz

Blue's is lousy with Triangle folk! When the Epic, Funcom and Red Storm guys aren't making news and posting here, they're busy racing their Lamborghinis down Hillsborough St. -- or holding "Will work for web access" signs in some cases.  

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
2. Beanies and inflatable swords ? Sep 12, 2010, 19:33 Gunz

I'm bummed cuz my Reach pre-order is with my local, Raleigh, NC Best Buy. If I had know the Cary store was giving away free beanies and inflatable swords (while supplies last) at midnight I would have ordered from them! : )

Anyway, it's odd times we live in bros. My wife is the one who hounded the holy hell out of me to pre-order, and she hasn't shown any interest in a Halo game since CE. I'm looking forward to the game, but she's been posting her excitement about it on Facebook.

News Comments > The Bible Online Beta
9. Re: The Bible Online Beta Sep 6, 2010, 15:33 Gunz

A Bible game? Gonna have to pass -- too much sex and violemce ; )  

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever Complete?
12. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Complete? Sep 2, 2010, 12:00 Gunz

I say port it to Source and release it for free on Steam (ala Alien Swarm) as "Duke Nuken For-Nothing" : )  

News Comments > Star Trek Online Demo, Welcome Back Weekend
27. Re: Star Trek Online Demo, Welcome Back Weekend May 11, 2010, 19:30 Gunz

Took 24+ hours to download (WAY too long even for a free try). Patched in a few min.(not too bad, but kinda slow for this machine). Got my human looking pretty darn close to the real me (except the color of my beard. I found that odd.Maybe I missed something?) Spent 45+ seconds in-world before it crashed. Looks like it might take a while to file check before I get my next shot.

Update: files checked and ready to go as I wrote this (60+ seconds?)-- not bad.

Wish me luck! I would really like to play now (I've been waiting for a while.)

News Comments > Star Trek Online Demo, Welcome Back Weekend
14. Is it just me? May 8, 2010, 05:49 Gunz

Is it just me or does their downloader go REALLY slow? My network screams, so it's not my end.

I'm always in the mood to try something new, but, for me, the demonstration starts with the installer. And if the installer gives any indication of what the game plays like... perhaps I should go back to playing Chess by mail ; )

News Comments > Valve's Mac Plans Announced
54. Re: Valve's Mac Plans Announced Mar 9, 2010, 03:01 Gunz

My stinky two cents:

I've got a desktop PC (I totally over-engineered for gaming... 10 years ago), a laptop PC (Dell built for... some odd reason), an old G4 Mac that rocks Photoshop just fine (that Apple built ; ), a 2 year old MacBook Pro that my wife, daughter and I love and fight over (cuz "See? It just works!", an Xbox (... Halo machine), an Xbox 360 that I have a *blast* with (I LOVE that box!), and a Wii that is great for parties (only one broken overhead lamp so far.)

Anyway... my wife loved to play Half-Life on my zillion year old PC, back when we were dating. So when I told her it looked like she might soon be able to play "her game" on the MacBook... well... um... Valve got me layed. Thanks guys! Just the mention of cross platform Steam was enough to get this old Valve fan some nookie!

News Comments > Star Trek Online Midnight Madness
37. Re: Star Trek Online Midnight Madness Feb 2, 2010, 05:22 Gunz

I'm just talking about general acceptance, appeal and, of course, the no-hassle fun factor.

I don't remember anyone having too much trouble enjoying WoW upon its release. My point is that it would be nice to see another MMORPG clear the chute like WoW did. People liked it -- despite it's faults (whatever they might have been to a notoriously picky group like the MMORPG crowd.)

I remember folks like myself saying, "Garsh! People DON"T really hate it! " Like that was an *amazing* achievement on Blizzards part. Well, I hope the same goes for STO. As soon as they have a 10 day trial... I'll give it a shot. And if I like it, I'll buy it. So... I hope it's a good game. I guess time will tell I like Star Trek and good games (got a kick out of the first Voyager game) so my fingers are crossed!

News Comments > Star Trek Online Midnight Madness
34. Re: Star Trek Online Midnight Madness Feb 2, 2010, 03:19 Gunz

Glad to see things haven't changed much around here since I've been gone (for, like, 4 years, or something) )

Anyway... I agree that WoW is the champ, and it'll take a lot for a new kid to come close to getting in the same ring as WoW. I wish STO luck. It would be pretty cool to have something come out that's worth playing -- besides WoW. I've tried a *bunch* of MMORPGs over the years and have been left un-wowed (no pun intended), so it would be a real breath of fresh air to hear the MMO crowd actually give STO a thumbs-up (like WoW got 900 years ago.) IF it deserves it, that is.

114 Comments. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo