Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for KilrathiAce

Real Name KilrathiAce   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname KilrathiAce
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.eaglespeak.us/
Signed On Oct 12, 2000, 14:48
Total Comments 1455 (Pro)
User ID 7413

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > EA Didn't Pull Crysis 2 from Steam
52. Re: EA Didn't Pull Crysis 2 from Steam Jun 16, 2011, 07:38 KilrathiAce

Krovven wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 20:02:
KilrathiAce wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 19:01:
Dirt3 does not use steamworks and thus is not bound by terms with valve, it can have dlcs sold elsewhere and not steam as much as they want.

I don't recall Crysis 2 using Steamworks. Doesn't help that even as an owner of Crysis 2 on Steam I cannot view the store page to check. But doing a quick search, it appears that it is indeed not a Steamworks game.

Crysis 2 bought on steam does use steamworks, however Crysis 2 does not require steam or steamworks to run. This is same situation as men of war assault squad. If DMS or 1C did dlc for men of war assault squad thats not sold through steam, same situation would occur, they have to sell dlcs through steam. But the game itself does not require to use steam to play.

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: EA Didn't Pull Crysis 2 from Steam Jun 15, 2011, 19:01 KilrathiAce

Krovven wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 18:18:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 17:44:
Steam hasn't the slightest problem with dlc, as long as its not exclusively tied to a service thats not steam.

Not entirely true. You can see Dirt 3 DLC on GFWL that is not on Steam, among others.

That's why I'm thinking we don't have all the facts yet.

Dirt3 does not use steamworks and thus is not bound by terms with valve, it can have dlcs sold elsewhere and not steam as much as they want.

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"

28. Re: EA Didn't Pull Crysis 2 from Steam Jun 15, 2011, 17:28 KilrathiAce

StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 17:23:
KilrathiAce wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 17:21:
Negative, the version of alice 2 sold on gamersgate does not require or use origin to run the game, I did check on this , if it did it would be listed under requirements, thats how gamersgate does their requirements and provides info like this.

Yeah, it says SecuROM. I wonder if that is a misprint. The boxed version certainly ties to Origin.

I dont think so, alice 2 is only exclusive on origin or as EA thinks until june 17, I dont think the game is origin only as in it has to use origin service/drm, although I maybe wrong, I am gonna try to find out.

21. Re: EA Didn't Pull Crysis 2 from Steam Jun 15, 2011, 17:21 KilrathiAce

StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 17:02:
KilrathiAce wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 16:48:
I would wait for statement from valve before making judgement, because alice 2 is not made by crytek and its not on steam, yet it is available on gamersgate, even though origin states its exclusive to origin. So... confused here, will alice 2 be available on steam after 17th? why is alice 2 on gamersgate even tough supposed to be exclusive to origin?

The Gamersgate version likely uses Origin as it's DRM, making the game "only on Origin" despite being sold elsewhere. The same thing applies to any Steamworks game, you can buy them in a box or on other store sites but they are still Steam games, and in effect "only on Steam."

EA made a special version of Dragon Age 2 for Steam that did not tie to Origin but it remains to be seen whether they do the same thing with Alice or not. If they don't that's a pretty good indication all future EA titles will tie to Origin and thus not be sold on Steam. We shall see!

Negative, the version of alice 2 sold on gamersgate does not require or use origin to run the game, I did check on this , if it did it would be listed under requirements, thats how gamersgate does their requirements and provides info like this.

17. Re: EA Didn't Pull Crysis 2 from Steam Jun 15, 2011, 17:15 KilrathiAce

It seems I understand now, basically if a game uses steamworks, its bound by extra set of terms with steam/valve, as in one all dlcs have to be sold on steam. Crysis 2 offers dlcs within game not through steam and that violated the terms. Take a look at mass effect 2, it sold dlcs from within game that were not on steam but because the game did not use steamworks, it did not violate the rules.  

9. Re: EA Didn't Pull Crysis 2 from Steam Jun 15, 2011, 16:58 KilrathiAce

Sell content from within itself rule is weird because games that used gfwl but were sold on steam such as dow2, they allowed content to be sold from within game yet they were never pulled from steam.  

7. Re: EA Didn't Pull Crysis 2 from Steam Jun 15, 2011, 16:48 KilrathiAce

I would wait for statement from valve before making judgement, because alice 2 is not made by crytek and its not on steam, yet it is available on gamersgate, even though origin states its exclusive to origin. So... confused here, will alice 2 be available on steam after 17th? why is alice 2 on gamersgate even tough supposed to be exclusive to origin?  

News Comments > Crysis 2 Steam Crisis, Origin Exclusivity Planned?
137. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis, Origin Exclusivity Planned? Jun 15, 2011, 15:53 KilrathiAce

cnet news on ea and steam

Update (June 15, 2011, 9:55 a.m. PT): Electronic Arts sent us this statement in regard to the removal of Crysis 2 from Steam: "It's unfortunate that Steam has removed Crysis II from their service. This was not an EA decision or the result of any action by EA. Steam has imposed a set of business terms for developers hoping to sell content on that service--many of which are not imposed by other online game services. Unfortunately, Crytek has an agreement with another download service which violates the new rules from Steam and resulted in its expulsion of Crysis II from Steam."

We've asked EA for clarification regarding Alice: The Madness Returns also disappearing from Steam. We've also reached out to Valve Software for comment, and will update with any further information accordingly.

I hope we will hear from Valve on this subject because while I can believe crysis 2 being pulled for some terms violation(i bet it has to do with upcoming dlc maybe being exclusive to specific service) I see no reason why alice 2 is not on steam. Before you say its exclusive to origin till 17th june, thats not true its available and even on sale on gamersgate.

This comment was edited on Jun 15, 2011, 16:11.

107. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis, Origin Exclusivity Planned? Jun 15, 2011, 13:15 KilrathiAce

Velvet if you want to buy Alice 2, its still on gamersgate, but I suggest you hurry.

Oh and Velvet to me bigger issue is losing all the deals and sales that games receive on steam and how often they occur. I dont see EA doing much in terms of deals for their new games anytime soon if they go origin exclusive. This is big problem for me, because paying for a game is the most important part.

97. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis, Origin Exclusivity Planned? Jun 15, 2011, 12:51 KilrathiAce

Great post Verno, right on the money.  

88. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis, Origin Exclusivity Planned? Jun 15, 2011, 11:51 KilrathiAce

Great deals often ROFL, thats a good one gl finding a good deal on a newly released game as fast as on steam or big sales and as often as what steam does. You are dreaming, especially if EA does make their games fully exclusive to origin. Then they will have no reason at all to put newer games on sale till year later earliest.

Gamersgate still carrying crysis 2 and even new alice right now, I hope they continue to carry EA titles as thats my last hope to buy EA games in future like me3.

News Comments > THQ On Dawn of War III
2. Re: THQ On Dawn of War III Jun 15, 2011, 10:15 KilrathiAce

So basically CoH online is a trail for what DoW3 basically be and most likely it will be mostly a mmo? hmm  

70. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis, Origin Exclusivity Planned? Jun 15, 2011, 07:42 KilrathiAce

Btw, something interesting about Origin system:

EA support error info on lifetime download limit

Re-installing your operating system, or interrupting a current download, will count as a new computer installation.

wut?

I know many people pause and resume their download later especially when on slower speeds or reboot, lose connection crash etc.... in Origin's terms thats new installation.

Btw, here is a post by someone from crytek on steam forums:

Cry-Adam post on steam

-> "Crytek love and support Steam. We will remain on these forums and continue to answer questions and share information as much as possible.
"

This comment was edited on Jun 15, 2011, 07:50.

63. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis, Origin Exclusivity Planned? Jun 15, 2011, 04:51 KilrathiAce

Actually, retail copies wont always be there, retail market in us took another dip in sales and at some point it will actually cost more to release/publish physical copies than actual profit. At that point there will be only dd, and for everyones sake it better not be origin only for EA games. I would wait for official statement from either valve, or ea or crytek before jumping to conclusions on all future ea titles though.

PS Oh and noman, steam had way better deals on those games u listed in the past before EA store.

54. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis, Origin Exclusivity Planned? Jun 15, 2011, 04:03 KilrathiAce

StingingVelvet,

There are numerous cases when it comes to me1, me2, crysis packs where there were huge sales on steam during special events and I bought most of those games at that time and I did check EA own site and few other places at same time, steam always beat it. Valve published their own games on steam from day one because there was no other alternative, they never took their games off another service out of the blue because they didnt like the competition. Further, I don't see Origin selling many other non EA games like Valve does. I am ok with competition but how about Origin actually do something that will want me to buy a game on their system other than making it exclusive? how about better deal, how about something related to the system itself thats better than steam? Didn't think so.

There maybe many things I will hate about Origin system, not sure yet, I know that non us customers have a lot of complains. However, before I even will care about that the most important aspect is the price. This hurts customers in the end because EA is a company that time after time always cared more about profit than anything else. Now try to say same thing about valve.... nope it doesnt fly. So, EA having their titles on only 1 system that they own will mean if you want to buy their games you will pay their inflated prices and like it. Btw, I saw origin's support forums and help, wow what a mess reminds me of something back from 2000, even MPlayer had better organized support.

This comment was edited on Jun 15, 2011, 04:08.

53. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis, Origin Exclusivity Planned? Jun 15, 2011, 03:58 KilrathiAce

noman wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 03:52:
Some people say that steam need competition, thats true, lets have competition, but that would mean that both steam and origin would offer EA games, then it would be actual competition, when EA only sells their games through origin, what kind of competition to steam is that?

Valve's games are only available through Steam.

What's worse is that all Steamworks enabled games regardless of where they are purchased forever require a third-party launcher that effectively brings the entire Steam store along with the game.

I can't be more glad that a publisher is taking games away from Steam. I hope that the games stay available on Direct2Drive, Amazon and other digital download services.

If EA is going exclusive they wont stay on impulse or d2d, also looks to me like you don't care about the most important aspect: the price. Have fun paying full and overblown prices for ea games on origin, and maybe u can get a sale a year after game is out. lol.

44. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis, Origin Exclusivity Planned? Jun 15, 2011, 03:29 KilrathiAce

Fact is that if you can't buy EA games anywhere but origin then you will be ra*ed pricewise and won't enjoy sale deals that for example steam or impulse offers on regular basis. Why do you think EA prefers to have their games on ORIGIN only? This way noone can buy their games cheaper and thus are forced to pay their ridiculous prices. Oh and when I mean that this applies big time to some people in other countries trying to buy games on origin.

Some people say that steam need competition, thats true, lets have competition, but that would mean that both steam and origin would offer EA games, then it would be actual competition, when EA only sells their games through origin, what kind of competition to steam is that? User is not visiting origin to possibly buy a game because its a nice deal there or better system, etc but because he cant buy it anywhere else. You call this competition? rofl.

28. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis, Origin Exclusivity Planned? Jun 15, 2011, 02:30 KilrathiAce

Check this out, this potster account of the first post on that thread used to be EA admin rights account on steam forums but now look at it: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1299316

Looks like his EA admin rights and status was removed.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Alice: Madness Returns
17. Re: Ships Ahoy - Alice: Madness Returns Jun 15, 2011, 02:01 KilrathiAce

I assume people who say Origin is great change also love to pay full prices even months after release and having nothing close to what steam frequent sales offer them. Ahh yes. You may as well send some money in envelope to EA if you like throwing money away.

Oh btw, no Alice on steam no buying options for me.

16. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis, Origin Exclusivity Planned? Jun 15, 2011, 00:54 KilrathiAce

Kajetan wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 00:42:
Hyatus wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 00:33:
The difference between then and now is that Valve created a new market for this sort of deal and does a damned good job with it.
That's what we can say years later. But then people bitched and whined and MOST OF THEM installed Steam to play Counterstrike and HL2. And then, they get used to it. And now they can't think of a life without Steam.

EA is bringing nothing to the table ...
EA doesn't have to. They bring TOR and probably BF3 and ME3 and every other potential hit to Origin. That's all they have to do. Enough people will follow. And get used to it.

No, you do not have to follow. But enough people will as they followed Steam, as they accepted online DRM and account locked content and other annoyances just to play a popular game. Many gamers are addicted to games. They will do anything.

OH yea, if ME3 is exclusive to origin only that means I wont be buying it, I bought me1 and 2 on steam and if its not on steam I wont be buying it, but I am not saying I wont be playing it.

1455 Comments. 73 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo