Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for PC

Real Name PC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Tigger
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Alive and breathing...most of the time.
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 28, 2000, 19:01
Total Comments 293 (Amateur)
User ID 7252

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

News Comments > EA: Forum Ban Equals Game Bans - Updated
134. Re: EA Forum/Game Bans Oct 31, 2008, 14:40 Tigger

This can go one step further. If you are NOT a worthless piece of shit you can actually sue someone for slander; if you can prove that such slander caused financial hardship.

Ha!

But you are forgetting that you have to be able to actually prove you aren't a worthless piece of shit. Then you have to convince a lawyer as well!

--
Tigger
Vic Fontaine for President
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

133. Re: EA Forum/Game Bans Oct 31, 2008, 14:36 Tigger

I meant, privilege, not a freedom. Go back and re-read my post Tigger.
How that ONE word just stood out at you, I'll never know.

OK, I re-read your post. Here is what you said:

Freedom of speech as per the private sector is a freedom not a right, agreed.

and

Edit 2: I wonder if we could get Jack Thompson to fight for our rights to freedom of speech in a private sector?

Nowhere does it say anything about it being a privilege.

Nowhere does it even imply that you think it is a privilege.

Right and privilege have 2 completely different meanings. So if you meant privilege, then you just don't communicate well. If that's the case, then I'm sorry that I misunderstood your poor communication.

--
Tigger

100. Re: EA Forum/Game Bans Oct 30, 2008, 17:45 Tigger

Freedom of speech as per the private sector is a freedom not a right, agreed.

Go read the Constitution.

Telling someone they are a worthless piece of shit on someone's forum is NOT protected speech. The owner of that forum can decide they don't like that kind of talk and remove your post or even ban you.

But getting banned from ALL the games you own as well - thats a bit excessive.

--
Tigger

News Comments > Out of the Blue
25. Re: Out of the Blue: 6 MORE Creepy... Oct 29, 2008, 15:40 Tigger

I know that #3 is true.

The guy that put me in the Army was one of the MPs that arrested Sgt. Schap.

When telling me the story the day I left for the Army, he said the guy was 'completely calm when we went over an picked him up'.

--
Tigger

News Comments > Jack Thompson Disbarment Official
22. Re: Jack Thompson Disbarment Official Oct 29, 2008, 15:26 Tigger

and there was much rejoicing...  

--
Tigger

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: No subject Oct 16, 2008, 15:20 Tigger

There's no way the 360 could handle MGS4, it would have to be severely cut down at best.

Huh?

I'm sure MGS4 (the game itself - not the cut scenes) could run on a 360, if Kojima had chosen that platform.

I think what Kojima is talking about when he says 'it wouldn't be the same game' is that he wouldn't be able to include all the story elements on the 360 version because of the media limitations. I mean, the end cut scene is like 45 minutes long!

Beyond the cut scenes, the hardware really isn't the limitation to making the game itself run. He states that his team optimized MGS4 to run on the PS3 – a clear sign that they made a design decision when they began development. This probably means that they’ve structured and written a lot of the underlying code in the game engine for the PS3 hardware.

A good example of this is Halo. That game ran great on the original Xbox, but ran crappy on PCs that were two or three times as powerful in terms of memory, processors and video cards. The problem was poor optimization. The real proof that the key is in the software is that it runs just as nice on the Xbox 360 which has a totally different architecture than the original Xbox. That’s a good indication that with the right tools and enough money, software written for one platform can be ported to another.

I imagine that if he wanted to, he could port it for the 360, however, it would likely be a ruinously expensive and difficult process.

--
Tigger
Fixed some spelling
This comment was edited on Oct 16, 2008, 22:01.

--
Tigger

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: No subject Oct 16, 2008, 14:51 Tigger

Oh snap, I could use some KI3. I thought part 1 was more fun than 2. Making Orchid look like Janet Jackson was pretty lame.

Yeah, KI 1 was MUCH better than 2. The combos in KI1 required a good deal of skill to pull off (anything over a Super(4-hit) or Hyper(5-hit) Combo). It seemed to me that in KI2 I got my ass handed to me by button mashers who pulled off inconsistant combos and that eventually drove me to stop playing the game.

I still play KI1 using the Ultra64 EMU - I have a cool arcade stick rig that plugs into a computer.

UUUULLLTRAAAAAAAA COOOOMBOOOOOOOOOO

SUPREME VICTORY!

--
Tigger

News Comments > Developers On Outsourcing
4. Re: as some feel this costs western jobs Aug 8, 2008, 12:43 Tigger

There's no 'feel' about it, my Australian Bank Programming job is in Chennai now, thanks EDS

I feel your pain, but if it wasn't for outsourcing I wouldn't have a job.

--
Tigger
Grammer
This comment was edited on Aug 8, 12:44.

--
Tigger

News Comments > Mobilization
3. No subject Jul 12, 2008, 11:36 Tigger

Got my iPhone 3G last night.
-Got the 8GB Black iPhone.

-No problems activating in the store.

-GPS works well when you are not moving, but not as quite as accurate as my Garmin when you are moving.

-Syncing to Exchange is OK, but the iPhone Contacts app is seriously slow when you have 4000+ contacts.

-The App Store is OK, but no Yahoo Messenger yet?

-There really isn't a log of 3G coverage - I got better 3G on my 8525.

--
Tigger
Fixed some grammer
This comment was edited on Jul 12, 11:37.

--
Tigger

10. No subject Jun 4, 2008, 16:08 Tigger

Can somebody explain this Panasonic Toughbook Commercial to me? Like many I find the idea of a tough laptop appealing, and I have few doubts that these are, in the words of Van Halen, "the toughest around." But I do not understand the point of listing a whole bunch of desirable toughness-oriented features and saying their lawyers will not allow them to attribute any of them to their product. In the end, this results in them not making any claims whatsoever, though it certainly leaves the impressions their lawyers are pretty tough.

I think the whole idea is to give you an idea about how they are without actually claiming it is.

--
Tigger

News Comments > Rainbow Six Vegas 2 Patch
2. Re: No subject May 13, 2008, 13:20 Tigger

hah! I tried the speech recognition once on the 360 version. Let's just say it's not the best way to govern your AI team of Corkys.

Yeah, I tried it on the PS3 version too with the same result.

And my wife gave me a odd look when I said "You are weapons free". I think she had a moment there where she thought I was telling her it was OK to shoot me.

This comment was edited on May 13, 13:21.

--
Tigger

News Comments > On Mass Effect & Spore Copy Protection
293. Re: @Jerykk May 9, 2008, 14:57 Tigger

And this is why you see so many "certified used cars" on major dealership lots. They realize that resale of vehicles is big business and they want to take part in that. If they tried to claim that reselling your car violated the terms of service and refused to service cars (support) cars that the original owner wasn't driving people would revolt.

Which is what PC gamers are doing now. We're being treated like unless we're the original owner of the software that we don't have any right to use the software.

I agree with you on this point, but we need to change copyright law so that its application is universal and standardized in the US. Because the problem is that the EULA says we DO NOT have to right to resell it. The EULA says that we have purchased a license to run the software, NOT ownership.

So, before someone wikipedia's me to death, I already know that these 2 points have been challanged before. The problem is that the letter of the law and the case law don't agree and thus, are rendered useless. Companies are free to put whatever they want in a EULA and make decisions based on that EULA.

I've said before that good copy protection is enough to make it hard to steal software casually, but not intrusive enough to be noticed by the end user.

So, before someone uses this statement against me:
If I had my way, the project I mentioned earlier would do that and kill all but the most current installation

I didn't say my opinion was right - I just said it was my opinion at the time we were specing the license system.

This comment was edited on May 9, 14:58.

--
Tigger

289. Re: @Jerykk May 9, 2008, 11:12 Tigger

This is just plain false. There has never been a game impossible to pirate, correct? There is no prevention from piracy or prevention of stealing in these schemes because the pirates software is not affected by this. There is a delay at best.

I'm sorry you don't know how to read:

Last, at the end, fighting piracy is not a winnable battle. Even when a company owns the platform (Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo), there are always loopholes to be exploited. I had a good teacher in college a number of years ago who said something to the effect of "If it was designed by a human, a human will eventually figure out how to crack it."

Furthermore, you seem to agree with my point about copy protection being a measure used, first and foremost, as a step to make money as well as a step to prevent people from stealing:

These systems will prevent people from reselling or sharing games with others. The end result will be end users forced to always buy new copies of software if they want to play instead of using ebay or craigslist to find a used copy and buy that one. Retail stores will still offer bargain bin games from time to time but this will become much less likely since there is no secondary market to compete with.

It's very similar to how Valve operates now. It's not likely you'll buy a used copy of valve software because someone has to pay valve $10 to unregister that unique ID. Which is crap and why I refuse to spend any more money on steam games.

That is what these companies want. They want everyone to have to purchase the software from them without any resale possible on the secondary market.

This comment was edited on May 9, 11:15.

--
Tigger

283. Re: @Jerykk May 8, 2008, 21:26 Tigger

So stick that in your fucking pipe and smoke it. Dickheads like you are what ruin PC gaming, not pirates. Fuck off.

First, I'm sorry that you feel that way. I don't think you really need to write such filth, but if you feel like thats the best way to express yourself, then OK.

Second, I don't develop games, I develop business software. If YOUR job, house, car payment, health insurance depended on whether people buy your software, you might feel differently. I suspect that most of the people that work in software development understand the position EA has taken, even if they don't agree with it.

Third, the writing is on the wall. 'People like me' aren't killing PC gaming, low sales is killing PC sales. What I haven't seen is any really good *supported* analysis that shows that customer dissatisfaction is the reason why PC gaming isn't doing quite as well as it used to do.

Fourth, all of this said, I wish there was a better solution and I wish people were honest. The sad reality is that quite a few people posting in this thread HAVE stolen software (including myself). I know this makes me a hypocrite, but working in the industry has changed my view on it - so I went from an attitude like yours to an understanding of why software companies do this. Are all people thieves, certainly not. What you are seeing here with EA's decision to force activation in this way is a company first and foremost,to make money and secondly, try to prevent the dishonest people from stealing from them. This ruins the fun for everyone else - but thats the way it is. Maybe if more people bought software way back in the beginning, we wouldn't be where we are today.

Last, at the end, fighting piracy is not a winnable battle. Even when a company owns the platform (Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo), there are always loopholes to be exploited. I had a good teacher in college a number of years ago who said something to the effect of "If it was designed by a human, a human will eventually figure out how to crack it."

--
Tigger
Edit: Spelling and grammer
This comment was edited on May 8, 23:20.

--
Tigger

255. Re: Service Based May 7, 2008, 15:41 Tigger

Which you only see after you buy the game, open the box, install it and can no longer return the game.

Yeah, I think thats crap. We do a 30-day money back guarantee. If the customer doesn't like it, we take it back no questions asked.

--
Tigger
Edit: Spelling.
This comment was edited on May 7, 15:43.
Edit: Spelling...again.
This comment was edited on May 7, 20:53.

--
Tigger

251. Re: Service Based May 7, 2008, 15:18 Tigger

If I buy something that's it, its mine.

Um, no. If you buy it, you are actually buying the right to PLAY it. You don't OWN the software. You just bought the right to use it. The way THEY say you can use it.

Its in your EULA.

--
Tigger
Edit: Fixed some grammer.
This comment was edited on May 7, 15:19.

--
Tigger

164. Re: @Jerykk May 6, 2008, 23:33 Tigger

You can't treat DRM incorporation like an afterthought. Thats like storing valuables worth millions in a $50 Walmart safe. Or plugging a $5K computer into a $5 power strip.

I've frequently disagreed with Derek on several points, but here he is correct. On one of my projects, we designed the license system as part of the product - it added a lot of extra time to our cycle, but it made a difference in the end - we almost never get calls about the license system messing up.

I think you will see a lot more of this 'Periodic Activation Check' based DRM anyway, so you'd better get used to it. If I had my way, the project I mentioned earlier would do that and kill all but the most current installation.

This comment was edited on May 6, 23:36.

--
Tigger

38. Re: WTF guys and gals Apr 25, 2008, 20:45 Tigger

Spawn of Fredrickson?

Just don't say his name 3 times.

--
Tigger

9. A system call that should never fail has Mar 26, 2008, 10:56 Tigger

Digg is down - find the image here: http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/7837/failederrorgv1.jpg

This is actually a listed as an error for Windows Sockets - I've seen it once before. You have to love the "returned under various conditions" bit:

WSASYSCALLFAILURE

System call failure.
A system call that should never fail has failed. This is a generic error code, returned under various conditions.

--
Tigger

News Comments > Windows LIVE Boycott
38. Re: No subject Mar 4, 2008, 09:37 Tigger

Apart from the fact that this is just the standard pissing in the wind "look at me" stuff and won't have any traction whatsoever, at least someone did it.

Oddly, I find myself agreeing with Derek on this point.

--
Tigger

293 Comments. 15 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo