Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for PC

Real Name PC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Tigger
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Alive and breathing...most of the time.
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 28, 2000, 19:01
Total Comments 292 (Amateur)
User ID 7252

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Sep 29, 2010, 01:03 Tigger

You can lie in DA:O.

You can agree to kill Flemeth for Morrigan, but not do it and still get the book that Morrigan wants from Flemeth.

--
Tigger
Vic Fontaine for President
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 16, 2010, 13:02 Tigger

Yes, lets add 500000 jobs that will:

Increase customer apathy.
Drive up the cost of software even more.
Cost governments money to prosecute offenders.
Won't work and probably be a total waste of time.

--
Tigger

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Sep 16, 2010, 12:51 Tigger

Who is Cooper Lawrence?  

--
Tigger

News Comments > Out of the Blue
43. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 1, 2010, 20:22 Tigger

Hey blue, sorry to hear about your Dad. Maybe today is a good day to quit.  

--
Tigger

News Comments > Pachter: Activision Should Charge for CoD Multiplayer
27. Re: Pachter: Activision Should Charge for CoD Multiplayer Jul 16, 2010, 17:46 Tigger

Is he fucking serious?  

--
Tigger

News Comments > GameStop Used Game Lawsuit
113. Re: GameStop Used Game Lawsuit Mar 28, 2010, 11:46 Tigger

everyone wrote on Mar 28, 2010, 10:00:
EULA are dubious at best, and almost certainly couldn't be used to enforce resale limits.

I never said they could be, I said that they ' allow the purchaser of the software to transfer 'right to use the software' at least once.'. I am using this to support the idea the resale of games is legal and permitted and there really isn't anything anyone can do about it.

I mean, seriously, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that if this was a slam-dunk deal, EA, Activision and every other publisher on the planet would have sued the shit out of EB/GameStop ages ago and stopped used game sales. The fact is that the law on the issue is gray and no one really wants to take it up with the Supreme Court because if they might lose. Besides, this is really protected under the first-sale doctrine.

]
The supreme court disagrees with you about the copyright holder retaining all rights on each copy sold. The copyright holder retains the rights to the intellectual material, but they do not retain all rights to the specific copy sold.

Which case?

--
Tigger

111. Re: GameStop Used Game Lawsuit Mar 28, 2010, 09:02 Tigger

everyone wrote on Mar 28, 2010, 06:47:
The fundamental fact is that a copyright holder is legally able to produce as many or as few copies of their work as they wish and sell those copies under any terms they wish. But once a copy has been sold they relinquish all rights to said copy, unless otherwise agreed upon contractually. Copyright holders already have legal protections from people making additional copies of their work, that argument is a red herring when discussing used game sales.

In software, the copyright holder keeps ALL rights to the the product. With games specifically, almost all EULAs I've seen allow the purchaser of the software to transfer 'right to use the software' at least once.

Remember that even though you bought the disc, you don't own the software OR the content. The EULA basically states that you bought permission to use the software under certain terms and that those terms can be changed or terminated whenever the copyright holder feels like doing so.

I really like buying/selling used games. So I don't have a problem with it. The game publishers hate it because they are not seeing the second sale - but like the RIAA - they want to have their hand in the till every time the drawer opens.

--
Tigger

109. Re: GameStop Used Game Lawsuit Mar 28, 2010, 03:12 Tigger

<Rant>

Please note - this is a rant. Don't take it seriously. If you do, go get a drink or a girlfriend. Or both.

The 'Day One' DLC is just a gimmick to get users to buy the game to get the activation code for 'free' content. Then the publisher gets to squeeze another $15 bucks out of ANYONE that buys it used. "Yes, you cheapskate. Bend over and take one from EA," YEEEHAA!

And I wonder where that $15 goes? Do you think the developers see it? Probably not. Doesn't it make you wonder if all these game publishers will end up like the RIAA - suing the shit out of the very people that created and sustained them in a battle for relevance?

And come on - a lawsuit over $15?! Seriously? $15. My taxes are already killing me and now I have to pay for court hearings over $15?! Get fucking serious. Give me his address and I'll mail him the $15. Instead, lets have court hearings about why my taxes keep going up even when the value of my house is going down. And I can't be reassessed why? OH, silly me - I have to pay for some little shit to sue someone over $15.

Next thing you know, we will need an activation code for the game and then the used market bottom out. Tons of kiddies won't be able to get $100 game cards from Grandma and the voice chat on Modern Warfare 2 won't be filled with snobbish little pricks on helium who have nothing better to do then tell everyone how stupid they are for not defending the 'A' capture point.

OK, so maybe we'll still have to contend with those snobbish little pricks on helium, but for fucks sake - what about the kiddies?!

</Rant>

--
Tigger

108. Re: GameStop Used Game Lawsuit Mar 28, 2010, 02:15 Tigger

Yes. A consumer should be able to resell or transfer the single copy of the work they purchased just as they can with copyrighted works affixed to physical media.

They can. EA actually permits it in the EULA.

--
Tigger

News Comments > Valve's Mac Plans Announced
46. Re: Valve's Mac Plans Announced Mar 8, 2010, 18:08 Tigger

Overon wrote on Mar 8, 2010, 17:59:
However this is an overall positive thing for game consumers everywhere. This is an incremental step in the right direction. I won't make gaming as big on MAC as it is on Windows, but it will make it a little bigger. And hopefully it will grow.

Yeah, if Apple would license the OS so that one could buy it in the store and install it on a custom built machine (in other words, support non-Mac Hardware installs) then I think the user base might grow a little faster.

--
Tigger

News Comments > Valve's Mac Plans Announced
45. Re: Valve's Mac Plans Announced Mar 8, 2010, 18:03 Tigger

I have to guess MAC gamers (if there is such a thing)know what to expect if they purchase both PC and MAC games. If they only purchase MAC games, they certainly aren't going to see a long list

Initially, yes, but if they can write once and build on both platforms, then that list will grow - providing they can convince people to use Source.

Of course, I don't think this is the magic bullet - sometimes we end up doing things on one platform one way but find that when we try to do the same thing on a different platform, it doesn't perform or behave in exactly the same way.

I think this is great though - I've got a steam catalog full of games (almost all the Source-based titles) that I haven't touched in ages that I'd like to be able to play in OS X.

--
Tigger

General Discussion > Thanks Blue
7. Thanks! Mar 6, 2010, 10:58 Tigger

Ditto and thanks Blue. I've used this site and only this site as my starting point for gaming news since 1997.  

--
Tigger

News Comments > Infinity Ward Heads Axed?
18. Re: Infinity Ward Heads Axed? Mar 2, 2010, 12:24 Tigger

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 2, 2010, 10:19:
In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem.

Was it not the great Malcolm Reynolds who said:
"That's what governments are for; to get in a man's way"

--
Tigger

News Comments > Infinity Ward Heads Axed?
17. Re: Infinity Ward Heads Axed? Mar 2, 2010, 12:22 Tigger

Its at times like this that I miss BitchX  

--
Tigger

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Feb 10, 2010, 21:31 Tigger

Do You Need 8GB in Your Laptop?

Yes, and I do have 8GB of RAM in my laptop :))

--
Tigger

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
12. Re: Microsoft's excuse is bullshit. Feb 5, 2010, 23:43 Tigger

but that whole "holding back the 360" is just a bullshit excuse for Microsoft to force XBOX owners to buy a 360 if they want to play online.

You've never written any software before have you?

--
Tigger

News Comments > 3D Realms Closing?
66. Re: 3D Realms Closing? May 7, 2009, 12:38 Tigger

I am sad. Sad for the employees, sad for DNF.

Yeah, me too.

We lost a couple of folks last year in September and the last one JUST got hired. It sucks to lose your job, sucks even more to lose your job right now.

Its a shame about DNF - I think we have all poked fun at it over the years, but I was looking forward to eventually playing it...hopefully someone will pick up the rights and get it done.

--
Tigger

News Comments > Mobilization
1. Re: Mobilization Nov 10, 2008, 10:00 Tigger

Study: iPhones Twice As Reliable As BlackBerries.

Oh? How come my iPhone wants to turn itself off every 2 or 3 minutes?

--
Tigger

News Comments > EA: Forum Ban Equals Game Bans - Updated
136. Re: EA Forum/Game Bans Oct 31, 2008, 17:42 Tigger

Omigod, are you dense?
I said: I MEANT to say: privilege.

So if you meant privilege, then you just don't communicate well.

I'm sorry that I misunderstood your poor communication.

--
Tigger

News Comments > EA: Forum Ban Equals Game Bans - Updated
134. Re: EA Forum/Game Bans Oct 31, 2008, 14:40 Tigger

This can go one step further. If you are NOT a worthless piece of shit you can actually sue someone for slander; if you can prove that such slander caused financial hardship.

Ha!

But you are forgetting that you have to be able to actually prove you aren't a worthless piece of shit. Then you have to convince a lawyer as well!

--
Tigger

292 Comments. 15 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo