Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for PC

Real Name PC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Tigger
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Alive and breathing...most of the time.
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 28, 2000, 19:01
Total Comments 293 (Amateur)
User ID 7252

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization May 28, 2014, 19:03 Tigger

- How-to- Conserve battery power on your iOS devices.

Cliff Notes Version: Disable everything on your phone.

--
Tigger
Vic Fontaine for President
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Mar 25, 2014, 22:23 Tigger

Great so we get to pay for two expensive pieces all in one.

In the defense of Ray-Bans, they are good frames.

--
Tigger

News Comments > Line of Defense Tactics Demo
22. Re: Line of Defense Tactics Demo Feb 20, 2014, 11:00 Tigger

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 08:16:
Are you serious???!

Sadly, yes.

And as nin points out, you shouldn't be surprised.

--
Tigger

News Comments > Line of Defense Tactics Demo
16. Re: Line of Defense Tactics Demo Feb 20, 2014, 07:54 Tigger

jdreyer wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 20:47:
Hmm, I didn't realize this was happening on the Steam forums. I just assumed it was on 3000ADs own forums.

On their own forums for sure. A number of years ago, I wanted to give Universal Combat a gander and I was banned for asking how to remap some keys. I thought that was really anti-customer.

It really doesn't matter how good of a review any 3000AD games get, I'll never buy one. And I'll never play one for free either.

--
Tigger

News Comments > Out of the Blue
27. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2013, 22:33 Tigger

Blue - congrats on your anniversary!

For what its worth, I started reading Blues about January/February 1997!

--
Tigger

4. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 24, 2013, 14:35 Tigger

Verno wrote on Sep 24, 2013, 13:35:
My entire car frequently disappears from my garage sooooo.... R*!!!

But does it come back?!

--
Tigger

2. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 24, 2013, 13:30 Tigger

I agree. There are other places in the video where parts of the car disappear and return.  

--
Tigger

News Comments > Free Hyperspace Pinball
2. Re: Free Hyperspace Pinball Apr 12, 2013, 08:05 Tigger

I like free games (and pinball too!), but I'm not going to install yet another digital distribution client for it.

You did see the standalone download, no?

--
Tigger

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic APAC Servers Closing
37. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic APAC Servers Closing Mar 27, 2013, 12:53 Tigger

As for the server closures, it makes sense that you turn underpopulated servers into well-populated servers, but how exactly does this give the Asian players the "best play experience?" I guess the Force is stronger than latency?

You didn't know?

Perhaps they think that the number of players outweighs latency?

--
Tigger

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic APAC Servers Closing
31. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic APAC Servers Closing Mar 27, 2013, 11:30 Tigger

I've been playing TOR for about a year now. The merging of servers has been good so far - there are a lot more players in zones now.

The only problem is that you really don't need to group with other players all that often - unless you are doing the Heroic quests. And even then, a duo (with companions) can plow through them with a little effort. Granted, my highest toon is level 27 or 28. Maybe groups are required at higher levels.

--
Tigger

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
4. Re: Tomb Raider Mar 10, 2013, 01:28 Tigger

While I suppose it looks kind of cool I can't really see much benefit to running a 3rd person game across three screens like that. Everything looks kind of stretched out too.

I am playing SWTOR (as third-person) across three screens and its pretty cool. The left and right screens are a bit warped, but its not too bad.

The only real problem is that its kind of expensive to get something like this going. I am using screens that cost ~$150 each plus a ~$200 video card. So at around $650, I don't think its worth the cost of admission unless you are doing something like flight sims (which I am doing on this rig) where three screens are actually awesome, needed AND cool!

--
Tigger

News Comments > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Free Weekend
4. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Free Weekend Nov 1, 2012, 21:32 Tigger

Wow thanks Valve. Now if this damn hurricane hadn't have come along and wiped out not only my power but my Internet as well, I might be able to play it.  

--
Tigger

News Comments > G4 Makeover Coming?
13. Re: G4 Makeover Coming? Sep 8, 2012, 10:14 Tigger

Parallax Abstraction wrote:
Nuke the site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

Hell yeah.

--
Tigger

News Comments > Black Ops 2 Specs; No XP Support
34. Re: Do it! Come on, do it! Do it now! Sep 7, 2012, 13:13 Tigger

Yes, work which requires no 3D API use whatsoever. That's becoming more and more rare.

For sure, but with VMWare supporting it - I think its only a matter of time before someone figures out how to do it. Its entirely possible that they already know how to do it, but just haven't got it implemented yet. Or they are waiting for Windows 9

I agree that there really shouldn't be a technical reason why they cannot do this - especially if they support only the D3D API and require a certain DirectX level on the host.

For what its worth, I've run some older games in VMWare with good results. From the testing I've done with it so far, at least for me, it makes more sense to continue using VMWare on my desktop but to use Hyper-V on my servers.

--
Tigger

32. Re: Do it! Come on, do it! Do it now! Sep 6, 2012, 14:13 Tigger

You missed my point. My point was that you should be able to disable hardware virtualization in VMware without uninstalling it or changing your BIOS setting so you can test Hyper-V.

There isn't a way to disable hardware virtualization in VMWare as a whole (at least not that I know of), it can only be disabled per VM.

And even if you could, you would no longer be able to run 64-bit guests. HW virtualization is required for 64-bit guests.

And even if you didn't want to use a 64-bit guest, if you try to install Hyper-V when VMWare is installed, Windows will not let you.

And even if you could MAKE windows let you install the Hyper-V role or change the install order (Hyper-V THEN VMWare), most likely you would have to do a bunch of crap to prevent it from crashing.

Putting virtualization in a consumer OS like Windows 7 and 8 and then not being able to use it for any applications which use Direct3D or OpenGL is just pointless. A server can get away with only running 2D apps, but a consumer PC can't. Even business applications like many of Adobe's products have 3D functionality. Microsoft has no excuse for doing that especially since it develops Direct3D.

Except to do work.

Besides, in order to install Hyper-V, you would need Pro or higher:

--
Tigger

30. Re: Do it! Come on, do it! Do it now! Sep 5, 2012, 14:39 Tigger

Actually I've now read online that you can use both at the same time if VMware is set not to use hardware virtualization mode.

Then there really is no point to trying it out. Hyper-V won't install if you don't have virtualization enabled in the BIOS (at least it didn't in Windows 2008 and 2008 R2).

Without HW virtualization, you'd need to have a real monster of a machine to get good performance out of a VM. If it came down to that, I'd just build a super cheap Windows XP machine with a somewhat modern graphics card and install old games on that.

I've also now read that Hyper-V doesn't support hardware 3D so it sounds like it is still basically just Microsoft's Virtual PC product integrated into Windows 8 which means it is useless for games.

Yeah, I don't think Microsoft is going for the legacy gaming market with Hyper-V. I think what they are going for is server consolidation (Windows Server), testing and backwards compat (Windows 8).

--
Tigger

28. Re: Do it! Come on, do it! Do it now! Sep 5, 2012, 08:09 Tigger

Well what the hell are you waiting for?! That's the only reason to use it.

Do it and report your results.

As I said, its a 'one or the other' kind of deal with Hyper-V and VMWare, so I'd have to uninstall VMWare to make try it out.

I'll try to do something with it this week and let you know how it goes.

--
Tigger

26. Re: Windows 7 was not exclusively 64-bit because of compatibility issues. Sep 4, 2012, 22:02 Tigger

The Hyper-V performance in Windows 8 RTM is quite nice, although I haven't tried to run games in it yet.

You won't be able to install VMWare 8 and Hyper-V at the same time, which is to be expected, so you'll be forced to pick between one or the other.

--
Tigger

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
13. Re: Morning Mobilization May 7, 2012, 19:14 Tigger

AT&T CEO Regrets Ever Offering Unlimited Data.

Bet you he wasn't saying that when AT&T was the only place you could buy an iPhone.

Edit: For grammer

--
Tigger

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: etc., etc. Apr 20, 2012, 19:38 Tigger

So, Gabe met with Tim and they talked about secret stuff?

I'm betting its a Steam Console.

--
Tigger

293 Comments. 15 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo