Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for PC

Real Name PC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Tigger
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Alive and breathing...most of the time.
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 28, 2000, 19:01
Total Comments 311 (Amateur)
User ID 7252

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
14. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 26, 2015, 18:24 Tigger

raVen wrote on Aug 26, 2015, 15:59:
so it's clickbait described as poor satire?

Well its certainly not the data breach you've been looking for. IMHO, the only thing impressive is the number of records. And to be honest, I've worked with records sets much larger.

--
Tigger
Vic Fontaine for President
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
12. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 26, 2015, 15:41 Tigger

They are right in stating that the data is meaningless. Folks are quick to quote the number of records (30+mil), but the data quality is terrible. Besides the fact that AM didn't require users to validate email addresses, the dataset is filled with many hundreds of thousands of records with NULL values for name, address, etc. So unless you pull down the credit card data - its more or less worthless. About the only thing of value in leak is a table that contains birthdate, zip code and latitude and longitude. So this is useful mainly as metadata; how many people in a particular zip code were born on February 12, 1965? Of those folks, how many are married? And of those folks, how many are having trouble with their spouse?

--
Tigger

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin 2 Kickstarter
1. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Kickstarter Aug 26, 2015, 10:34 Tigger

Is there any sort of project schedule or deliverable plan? They are quick to tell you all the awesome 1007 you will get but come up short on any sort of plan that describes how they will deliver.  

--
Tigger

News Comments > More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen
182. Re: More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen Aug 25, 2015, 23:09 Tigger

{PH}88fingers Aug 25, 2015, 20:34 ...utterly ridiculous in front of this crowd of obviously well versed Arm chair developers and Court term experts.

Hey...WTF are you calling 'Arm Chair'... Wiseguy

--
Tigger

175. Re: More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen Aug 25, 2015, 17:03 Tigger

Slashman wrote on Aug 25, 2015, 15:23:
Tigger wrote on Aug 25, 2015, 15:05:
Flatline wrote on Aug 25, 2015, 11:57:
Tigger wrote on Aug 25, 2015, 10:11:
After doing a bit of reading last night, it looks like Roberts hasn't shipped a game since 2003. And that game was late. By years.

I think this may be a case where, perhaps as a producer or designer, he may be in a bit over his head.

Freelancer? You mean the game MS *fired* Chris Roberts from so that it could eventually ship?

Yeah, that's the one!

So why the lack of confidence? Wiseguy

LOL

Because this legal action is basically trying to out Roberts as a guy who can't manage to deliver a project on scope, on time and on budget.

It seems to me that if anyone had actually looked into this guys last attempt to deliver something, they would have known better than to give him $80m to make anything.

--
Tigger

168. Re: More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen Aug 25, 2015, 16:19 Tigger

dsmart wrote on Aug 25, 2015, 16:00:
As they haven’t delivered on the original Kickstarter which had an estimated delivery date of Nov 2015. As of August 2015, they still had not delivered. And now Chris Roberts is quoting end of 2016 for full delivery. The original items (listed in my demand letter) have neither been completed, nor delivered as of the aforementioned date. Which is why this clause – in their own TOS – should now trigger. But they have thus far failed to honor it; much like every other promise they have now broken.

Given the fact that the last project this guy turned in so late and that there really hasn't been anything from him (and he as no 'team' that I could find) for over the 12 or so years are you at all surprised that they haven't delivered? It would seem that even 2016 is hoping for the best.

Are you hoping to take it over?

--
Tigger

164. Re: More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen Aug 25, 2015, 15:05 Tigger

Flatline wrote on Aug 25, 2015, 11:57:
Tigger wrote on Aug 25, 2015, 10:11:
After doing a bit of reading last night, it looks like Roberts hasn't shipped a game since 2003. And that game was late. By years.

I think this may be a case where, perhaps as a producer or designer, he may be in a bit over his head.

Freelancer? You mean the game MS *fired* Chris Roberts from so that it could eventually ship?

Yeah, that's the one!

--
Tigger

148. Re: More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen Aug 25, 2015, 10:11 Tigger

--
Tigger

96. Re: More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen Aug 24, 2015, 18:41 Tigger

CIG mentioned a completion date that has been passed. Some people are claiming that this is a break of contract, even though the contract clearly states.

"At the same time, backers must understand that when they back a project, they’re helping to create something new — not ordering something that already exists. There may be changes or delays,"

MAY be changes or delays? Seriously? I am already over on two deadlines both of which have nothing to do with my ability to write software. They should say: There WILL be changes and delays.

--
Tigger

90. Re: More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen Aug 24, 2015, 17:54 Tigger

On topic, I seriously don't know why folks do this and then get cranky when what they want isn't delivered.

The developer is asking folks to assume a certain degree of risk along with them. Most folks probably think they are essentially preordering the game. They have no idea they are funding development and what that means. They also probably have no understanding of how requirements, budgets, costs or even technology can change during the development cycle and what that could mean in terms of a positive or negative impact on the finished product.

On the flip side, the developer has asked them to help them FUND development. That's how the developer is going to pay for all sorts of things from payroll to office chairs. So now with all this funding, there is quite a bit of pressure to try to get everything with enough feature requests in to the game. If enough folks become dissatisfied with the progress or early betas and start asking for their money back, the developer takes the hit because they've budgeted based on a particular amount of cash. This causes them to start removing or reducing features

NEWS FLASH: Software development can be unpredictable. Funding software development can be expensive.

--
Tigger

59. Re: More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen Aug 24, 2015, 14:36 Tigger

Scheherazade wrote on Aug 24, 2015, 14:27:

I think he's going all Nietzsche and suggesting that "color" as a concept exists in our human mind, and since humans can only detect discrete RGB, then all color that isn't R xor G xor B is a pure product of our mind.

Distinction being physical reality vs human/perceived reality.

-scheherazade

To which we can always argue that good games he's been involved with are a product of only his mind.

--
Tigger

47. Re: More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen Aug 24, 2015, 13:27 Tigger

Kxmode wrote on Aug 24, 2015, 12:52:
Tigger wrote on Aug 24, 2015, 12:49:
That's a great point nin. Reporting on Derek being narcissistic would be like reporting that the sky had suddenly turned blue.

Actually the sky is purple. Smart

tu es dsmart?

--
Tigger

38. Re: More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen Aug 24, 2015, 12:52 Tigger

As usual, Derek is more passionate than concise,

Wow Blue, that's the best way I've ever heard anyone describe his default mode of communication.

--
Tigger

36. Re: More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen Aug 24, 2015, 12:49 Tigger

nin wrote on Aug 24, 2015, 10:10:

Mentions "I" or "Me" 4 times in single sentence quote. Pure narcissism. Why is this news?

That's a great point nin. Reporting on Derek being narcissistic would be like reporting that the sky had suddenly turned blue.

--
Tigger

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Out of the Blue [Dragnet] Jun 2, 2015, 12:56 Tigger

nin wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 09:04:

We have an asshole like that in our neighborhood. Not only are the dogs running free in a block radius shitting everywhere, but there's also a busy intersection where cars frequently don't obey the speed limit that they run back and forth across.

Pisses me off. I would never let my pets run free where cars are moving.

I wouldn't let our dogs run free either and for the same reason. Its not too hard to clip on the leash and walk. We have dog parks close to us for them to run free.

While dog behavior is predictable, they still can't tell us what's going to set them off. To compound the issue, we can't see what dog territory we're in, so I like to leash the pups so that I can pull them in close if another dog comes after us.

--
Tigger

3. Re: Out of the Blue [Dragnet] Jun 2, 2015, 08:49 Tigger

I wouldn't worry about it Blue. The folks across the street never have their dogs on a leash so we end up with doggy landmines in our yards, decks and driveways. Despite complaints by everyone on our street, the cops have never shown up. I'm not a dog hater (I have two pups myself), but their dogs are a true menace to society.  

--
Tigger

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2015, 20:47 Tigger

I'm going to make a big deal 30 years from today, since it will be 01/23/45. Mark my words.

You bet it will be. Because 30 years from today, I'll be 71. And if you are still editing (and I'm still reading) this site, that WILL be a big deal.

--
Tigger

News Comments > Not Even One "M" in Square Enix MMOGs
17. Re: Not Even One Jan 2, 2015, 16:27 Tigger

Oh and don't count on much pvp, it is there as like 4 on 4 groups, but that is the extend of it. Square does balance things out by modifying pve spells in arenas like Guild Wars does, but there is nothing outside of arena style combat. There is pvp gear, but no special stat like resiliance.

I think they have increased the limit to something like 16 v 16, but its still arena-based.

--
Tigger

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization May 28, 2014, 19:03 Tigger

- How-to- Conserve battery power on your iOS devices.

Cliff Notes Version: Disable everything on your phone.

--
Tigger

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Mar 25, 2014, 22:23 Tigger

Great so we get to pay for two expensive pieces all in one.

In the defense of Ray-Bans, they are good frames.

--
Tigger

311 Comments. 16 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo