Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for human

Real Name human   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname human
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 26, 2000, 07:51
Total Comments 355 (Amateur)
User ID 7223

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

News Comments > Gold - Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy
2. Re: Oh Baby Sep 7, 2005, 10:30 human

'Indigo Prophecy'? By 'Quantic Dream'? Why does this sound more like an experimental acid-trip ambient album than a game?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Army Racer Revealed, Demo, Websites
5. Re: Wow Sep 4, 2005, 16:39 human

I'm sure this is covertly funded by the US army. They got too much money nowadays.

News Comments > DoD: Source Plans
47. Re: No subject Sep 4, 2005, 07:32 human

While everyone has a good joke now and then or loses their temper, very few people openly admit to trolling and doing it on purpose. There's a reason such people are widely ignored: killfiltered on usenet, ignore on IRC, etc: being intentionally disruptive and controversial is the domain of 7 year olds.

No matter what childish justification you give, you're just a bratty little anklebiter who wants attention.

News Comments > Starship Troopers Demo
76. Re: Bleh Sep 3, 2005, 08:08 human

It kinda 'bugs' me that the game makes you play as the footsoldier in a fascist dictatorship.

68. Re: Bleh Sep 2, 2005, 04:44 human

Since I wanted to get the most out of my 400+MB download, I tried it again. The previous bug where none of the further triggers happened? Apparently my mistake was I followed the other soldiers onto the ramp WHERE YOU END UP GOING ANYWAY. But apparently if you go onto the ramp BEFORE he tells you to, the trigger gets delayed and you never 'complete' the mission trigger.

This time it worked (about the 4th or 5th try). But it wasn't worth it. I ended up going into a tunnel with bigger bugs coming out. And uh, the only way to get by this would be to run forward, trigger a bug, run like hell backward into the tunnel and find the spot near the entrance of the tunnel where the bugs couldn't go any further, and just hose them down with bullets, about 45 seconds each. So we're back to DOOM tactics and DOOM AI.

Boy am I regretting downloading this POS.

54. Re: No subject Sep 1, 2005, 21:06 human

There's leeway, but Heinlein DOES say, for example, that a blind volunteer could do his service 'counting the hair on a caterpillar by touch' or something to that effect. This does in fact contradict the assertion later on that all the jobs are nasty and usually dangerous. I'll concede there was ambiguity there.

As for 'militarism', I'm not sure I'd buy that for a dollar or anything less. For example, Rico's father demonstrates a kind of scorn for the military. Mr Dubois, the veteran civics teacher, does not use his miltiary rank in the classroom. And so on. On the whole I don't see much evidence of a society geared toward or centered around the military.

Since Heinlein served in the Navy in peacetime then again as a military engineer/designer, I dont think it's implausible that he did have 'glorifying the poor bloody infantry' in mind when he wrong _ST_, though I have also read that his perceived capitulation to Soviet expansionism was partly the impetus...but books can have more than one theme or inspiration, also.

Finally, I think _ST_ as a movie is a somewhat fun but transparently anti-fascist creed. Fine. I hate Nazis as much as Indiana Jones, but my problem is just with calling that movie _Starship Troopers_, since it in fact subverts, distorts, and finally satirizes the book it's alleged to be based on. I see that as just morally bankrupt, and quite dishonest.

48. Re: No subject Sep 1, 2005, 20:07 human

Sorry, Hellbinder, I know that it makes it easier for you to call everyone else a 'liar' because they encountered a bug in the demo, but I am not lying. I killed all the bugs and nothing happened for 5 minutes. The given objectives of 'protect the base', 'enable the power' etc never really happened. Sorry, shithead, but this demo is bugged.

On a tangential issue, is this how you address all people whose experience differ from yours? Like, you call up your mom and ask about the weather, she says it's raining, you look outside and the sun is shining so you shout 'LIAR!' at her? It's an interesting rhetorical tactic but I doubt it's very useful to actually communicate with people.

47. Re: No subject Sep 1, 2005, 20:00 human

Spume: I believe this MacD is dutch and somehow has a hardon for Verhoeven. Nothing against the dutch, I've spent quite a few days in Rotterdam and enjoyed it, but in this case Verhoeven's just off his rocker.

For one, Heinlein's STATED intent with _Starship Troopers_ was to 'glorify the PBI, the poor bloody infantry'. I'm talking about the type of guys on the Allied side who ended up having to fight against, for example Hitler.

On the other hand we have a guy like Verhoeven who, I'm sure, is very sensitive and all, and he's publically talked about the horror he saw in the Netherlands during WWII during his childhood. What I don't understand is why he has a problem against the poor Allied soldier with a rifle that was sent to rescue his country against the Third Reich.

In the end, much as mine and Verhoeven's politics may agree, or MacD and me for that matter, both are simply wrong on this matter.

43. Re: No subject Sep 1, 2005, 19:32 human

Heinlein did not in fact portray the government as 'fascist and oppressive'. You're right up the wrong tree. Heinlein's writings about his own work show that very clearly, and the 'cryptofascist' label is wholly without evidence. For starters, common characteristics of authoritarian fascism (tightly controlled commerce, racial/ethnic/sexist segregation) do not exist.

The novel simply posits a political system in which service of government (military or civilian) is required for the franchise, under the (perhaps fanciful) notion that voting is more highly valued and more wisely used when it is earned. Nevertheless, it is a serious idea that I do not believe to be intrinsically anti-democratic.

As for your praise of Verhoeven's academic record, I'm sorry, but that and your further namedropping of greek history are both laughable. Verhoeven has admitted publically to never even bothering to even reading the book. His movie project was first entitled "Bug Hunt at Outpost Nine", and only well into pre-production was the novel license purchased, presumably for the recognizeable name. In effect, he was making another movie with another theme before he decided to satirize the book. Fair enough, he's certainly allowed to make an anti-fascist movie. My problem simply is the way he set up a bunch of strawmen that didn't exist in the book, then proceed to demolish them. Ooh, so you showed us that propagandistic war machines that send men into slaughter is bad, Paul. You even put a lot of Nazi imagery in there. I think I get it.

Sorry, MacD. If anyone needs to read up on this book and the author's intent, it's you.

40. Re: No subject Sep 1, 2005, 19:10 human

Update: gave the demo one more chance. Same thing. Kill about 10 bugs easily, then NOTHING HAPPENS for more than 5 minutes. Uhhh...is this just me?

Oh, and if anyone was wondering what kind of game this is... You get unlimited ammo, don't need to reload, and get auto-recharging health. Yeah. Arcade XBOX shooter.

39. Re: No subject Sep 1, 2005, 18:48 human

It's not trivial because this book basically STARTED the idea of powered armor suits. All the anime crap that we've been seeing for years is based on Starship Troopers.

So we've got a book which STARTED the powered armor trend, and in the movie/games they ignore the most innovative idea it contains. No wonder this game is shit.

I just played it: ignoring the slow laggy controls, the 30second pauses to 'load' data every time you alt-tab to another program...this is boring as crap. Shooting insects. Man, I've never seen that one before. Not to mention I believe the game triggers are broken. After killing the dozen bugs in the initial wave, I sat there, looked for some new mission objectives, found none, waited for 5 minutes and nothing happened. That's when I quit.

32. Re: No subject Sep 1, 2005, 17:50 human

Oh, it's elitist not to be interested in a game, eh?

So you love every game ever made, right? Because if you don't, you're just an elitist, aren't you?

23. Re: No subject Sep 1, 2005, 16:36 human

The book does build upon an imagined world in which serving society is a requirement for citizenship. Not too far from existing service requirements in countries like Finland, Switzerland, Taiwan, etc.

But since Paul Verhoeven cannot understand this, decided to portray the book as a fascist and oppressive regime in which even reproduction was restricted. Needless to say, this was not in the book.

But for the purposes of game adaptations, the movie also ommitted the idea of powered armor infantry soldiers who drop into their combat zone from orbit in individual re-entry pods. The book, written in the 50's, was probably the first to explore both of these ideas, especially powered armor. In the end, basing anything on this movie is a waste of time...don't hold out much hope for this lame game.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
74. Re: HI. Aug 30, 2005, 18:10 human

Humankind dug up a huuuuuge percentage of the oil that our dead dinosaurs had turned into, and within a century, have used up most of it. To tell me that this ISN'T going to affect the planet is firstly ludicrous and secondly irrelevant -- at best we have rough guesses, but the ONLY safe course of action to protect ourselves is to make sure we do as little environmental change to this planet as we can.

Not worrying about climate change is like the crew of a space station randomly making changes to their life support systems. "Oh well, it probably won't matter, the chances are small", they say. But what of the risks? The risks are huge. 6 billion lives are at stake. In this case caution is the only sane policy.

News Comments > New Nexuiz
1. so... Aug 29, 2005, 12:15 human

Is this the update that makes the name pronouncable??

lolomg

News Comments > Site Seeing - The Wall Unveiled
24. Re: The Wall Unveiled Aug 22, 2005, 18:47 human

In soviet russia -- grammar flunks YOU!

News Comments > John Carmack on Q3A Source
10. Re: slashdot moderation Aug 21, 2005, 19:26 human

+5, Not talking out of ass

News Comments > GTA: San Andreas Patches -- Hot Coffee on Ice
13. Re: Can I get a refill, please? Aug 9, 2005, 17:54 human

Is there really anything more that need's to be said about this?

Yes. There's no reason for you to use an apostrophe in the word 'needs'.

News Comments > Counter-Strike and Half-Life Updates
29. Re: No subject Aug 9, 2005, 05:57 human

rents? my GOD you're fucking witty, riley. So witty it hurts. keep repeating that chestnut; it gets better everytime, and our admiration for your wit keeps growing.

News Comments > Ballerium Beta Re-Launched
1. So, this game is about being a ballerina Aug 7, 2005, 12:13 human

...?

A massively multiplayer ballet practice simulation?

355 Comments. 18 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo