Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Daniel Speed

Real Name Daniel Speed   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Nexus
Email dan@the-nexus.co.uk
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 20, 2000, 13:27
Total Comments 449 (Amateur)
User ID 6775

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

News Comments > More WoW H@x0rs Banned
10. No subject Dec 8, 2004, 08:12 Nexus

Are they going to announce every ban they make like this? I'd quite like a filtering option for my news if this is the case.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Euro City of Heroes Beta Sign-ups Soon
12. Re: No subject Dec 7, 2004, 08:11 Nexus

I heard the american version let you play as a troll too.

News Comments > Vampire Patch Plans
75. No subject Nov 28, 2004, 11:42 Nexus

If Scottish is in a pissing contest, I think Cheese just hit all 4 walls and the ceiling in a display of explosive incoherency...

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Stutter Fix Tomorrow
5. Re: Yay! Nov 22, 2004, 19:57 Nexus

Yeah, I checked my tealeaves and they agree with the planets, patches tomorrow are unlikely.

News Comments > JFK Reloaded
99. No subject Nov 22, 2004, 17:44 Nexus

Good heavens, it's not like we've ever seen a game where you had to kill Hitler or Saddam or any other recognisable figure...

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
18. Re: Grow up.. Nov 17, 2004, 11:33 Nexus

Someone who serves and commits questionable acts under fear of death, or someone who sits at home and questions what he has no knowledge of.

Are you talking about Nazis, or implying that the US army is being made to commit evil acts under fear of death? In either case, as far as I know, it's been clearly decided that the person at home has the right to question their government, have an opinion that they're evil and state it, and that people who commit warcrimes because their commanders told them to are still pretty much responsible for their actions.

Anyway. back on topic... I'll be buying this, but I'm being pretty frustrated by loading screens in HL2 (quite bad at the start). I won't be dissapointed if this is more RPG and less FPS though.

News Comments > Marvel Sues over City of Heroes
18. No subject Nov 12, 2004, 12:11 Nexus

Just wait for the lawsuit against underpants that can be worn on the outside.

News Comments > Vampire Next Week
71. Re: Another stupid RPG... Nov 10, 2004, 07:38 Nexus

It's all very well saying that stopping the action to allow for communication is bad (not my personal feeling on it) but what's the real gameplay benfit of not doing so? It's more fluid, you can be attacked while talking to someone by someone else?

The point of RPGs is generally advancing the story and the characters, which is not a mechanic you can do with just combat. When combat intrudes on your core gameplay mechanic without having a really good reason for wanting to do so, you're doing something stupid with your design. Being interrupted while picking a lock, for example, had a point in Thief 3: you were meant to be sneaking around avoiding being seen while you worked, if part of your work (picking locks) stopped that mechanic, you'd be interfering with the whole point of the game.

News Comments > CoV Beta Details
5. Re: huh Oct 28, 2004, 17:17 Nexus

I think the principle of the expansion is to provide more content.

News Comments > Afternoon Consolidation - Halo 2 Gold
3. No subject Oct 11, 2004, 13:50 Nexus

Microsoft Game Studios is committed to creating innovative and diverse games for Windows (http://www.microsoft.com/games/), including such franchises as Age of Empires®, Flight Simulator and Zoo Tycoon™

Wow. Zoo Tycoon. I'll have to check out this 'Halo 2'.

News Comments > UK Half-Life 2 DVD Only?
82. Re: No subject Oct 6, 2004, 00:51 Nexus

Holy flamebait batman!

I wasn't aware you threw a big hissy fit about disk space. I meam, come on, you don't mind that your secret lair smells of bat poop and your car guzzles jet fuel at an insane rate, so what's the big deal about disk space at 50 cents a gig on some drives?

*warning, this post may contain nuts, and might be in jest*

18. Re: No subject Oct 5, 2004, 09:04 Nexus

You could always buy the bronze package on steam. Thing is, if 75% of people who would play it have DVD drives, and it's available on the net, why should the distributors cover the costs of mastering and distributing 6xCD (or whatever it is) stock that's not going to sell very well at all?

16. Re: TFC Oct 5, 2004, 08:32 Nexus

DVD drives are ridiculously cheap, even the combo recorders go for peanuts in the scheme of things. Personally, I much prefer a single disk and the DVD style cases we tend to get in the UK now (I still have a *huge* pile of the old boxes).

News Comments > Vampire-Bloodlines Movie
26. Re: boobs Oct 3, 2004, 17:35 Nexus

but vampire stuff has pretty much always gone hand in hand with sex... its part of the mythos...

Sure, the entire WW Vampire setting is a mature one which includes sexual themes (especially the eroticism of feeding on the neck) and I'm glad they're getting the opertunity to create a game that's true to the setting by preserving many of those mature themes.

If you think about it though, the whole phemomenon of breast implants is a fairly new one, and we're talking at least in some cases about vampires who have been dead for tens of years (or many more in a few cases).

I think it's important that a mature exploration of a mature setting is that it doesn't just reduce some quite subtle themes to blantant and simple ones, and that's mainly what I'm worried about in this case, but it's entirely possible that the characters featured aren't representative of the entire game.

22. Re: No subject Oct 3, 2004, 16:18 Nexus

Oh comon, if you would have said that to your friends they would begin to doubt if you were hetero

My friends know me, so it's not much of an issue.

I'm just sick of games which seem to pander to the idea that we're all still 15 years old and that only women with somewhere over C cups can make good characters. How can anyone create a good, intelligent mature game (and I don't mean R rated for sexual content) if they need to do the equivalent of dumbing it down?

Are bigger breasts the root of the problem? not really, they don't ruin the experience (for me at least, maybe they do for other people), but I do think they're symptomatic of an underlying problem that the games industry needs to grow out of as gamers mature, more and more women become part of the prospective player base and development costs rise, requiring games to be marketed at the widest possible market.

This isn't to say that women with large breasts should be excluded either, just not picked as "sexy = boobies".

By the way, I don't think the stereotyping that all game developers are overly thin or fat geeks with breast obsessions is any better than the stereotype that all gamers are similar people that want to see them in order to enjoy a game.

*shrug*

13. No subject Oct 3, 2004, 13:19 Nexus

I agree about the breasts- it's over the top... you could quite easily have a sexy-but-dangerous vampire who *didnt* look like a walking beachball advert. Ah well, perhaps a mod that reduces the women to more reasonable proportions could be a good place for someone to start.

News Comments > BloodRayne 2 Gold
4. No subject Sep 30, 2004, 06:50 Nexus

If www.renderosity.com is anything to go by, a good number of owners have it for making their own erotic images and calling it "art".

News Comments > C-S: Source Next Week
32. No subject Sep 29, 2004, 11:05 Nexus

DVD for me - as far as I can see, Valve have to make DoD:Source available in some other way, or it may end up dead from not having enough people. I'll just weigh up whatever they want to charge for it in whatever other offer they have.

News Comments > TRIBES Vengeance Demo Glitch
1. No subject Sep 28, 2004, 05:35 Nexus

Nice of them.

News Comments > DNF Gets Physical
65. No subject Sep 27, 2004, 17:11 Nexus

DNF is going to have to get some seriously fantastic reviews for me to even consider it.

449 Comments. 23 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo