Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Just Bob

Real Name Just Bob   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Frijoles
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Lord of the Beans
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2000, 18:23
Total Comments 2084 (Senior)
User ID 6700

User comment history
< Newer [ 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ] Older >

News Comments > Upcoming WoW Item Removals
16. Re: Upcoming WoW Item Removals Oct 18, 2010, 15:16 Frijoles

Muscular Beaver wrote on Oct 18, 2010, 15:05:
The first thing that came to my mind when seeing those trees was "extremely dumbed down, everyone will have the same spec now".

Well, that's what they were trying to avoid. They seem to have failed though.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - ArcaniA: Gothic 4
28. Re: Steamships Ahoy - ArcaniA: Gothic 4 Oct 16, 2010, 20:57 Frijoles

And I've finished the demo. I managed to play it in windowed mode. So that bug aside, here's my thoughts:

The Good
I had fun with the combat. It's pretty simple, but I did enjoy it. I also felt that the environment graphics were well done.

The Bad
The voice work is horrible. Not only that, but they're really bad ventriloquists. The lips on the characters barely move. It's so very wrong. Some unmatched lips is one thing, but the dialog was just so very bad. And why bother giving me a selection box for text when there's only one selection? Do I need to pause and reflect on things?

I appear to be able to carry an unlimited weight and the inventory is absolutely huge. Although I hate limited inventory in games, this seems too far the other way. There's no reason not to pick something up in this game since it seems like you can carry everything.

There's nothing special about the quests. I was told that I needed to marry the girl, but I sure as hell felt no reason to do so. I can get more stimulating quests (or at least as stimulating) in WoW. A single player game is supposed to be more epic, but it didn't feel that way.

Was it fun? Meh. Sure, it passed a couple hours. I'd probably pay $10 for it. With Fallout coming out on Tuesday, though, there's no way I'd spend anything on this right now.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - ArcaniA: Gothic 4
24. Re: Steamships Ahoy - ArcaniA: Gothic 4 Oct 16, 2010, 17:59 Frijoles

Finally tried the demo. It wouldn't run at first, so I did a verification on the game files. Now it's running on the wrong monitor. As I said before, these dev houses don't even bother checking computers with multiple monitors. The steam forums are full of people complaining about bugs and crashes.  

News Comments > WoW Patch Plans
28. Re: WoW Patch Plans Oct 12, 2010, 16:27 Frijoles

Muscular Beaver wrote on Oct 12, 2010, 11:18:
You obviously dont play on a PvP server. Or did they improve it so people will see each other, no matter what?

Yep, PvE. Hadn't thought about that on PvP. That'd be a sneaky way to get away from someone. And you're right, not being able to see your friends is annoying, but IMO, worth it. I like seeing the world change around me.

24. Re: WoW Patch Plans Oct 12, 2010, 11:14 Frijoles

Pigeon wrote on Oct 12, 2010, 01:58:
The streaming content has been in place on the beta server for quite awhile. Its pretty nice, specially if you want to do some of the more mundane things like mess with the AH or gathering for your professions etc. I've not tried it, but you should be able to quest and run dungeons while still streaming material.

The streaming stuff is fucking awesome. You can play the ~12 gig game after 700 megs is downloaded. When you zone somewhere, there is a delay and an extra bar while it loads the content you need. This takes about 30 - 45 seconds. For example, when you port from Dalaran to Ironforge. After that, you're in, and there's a little colored circle at the top of the screen to tell you the status. If it's yellow, you're missing some stuff and will probably notice it. If it's green, you're good to go.

Yellow is definitely playable. Things will pop in to view, but you can play. If you're on an FP, you'll not see mountains and such until you land (or they load). It's funny seeing the rams in Grizzly Hills floating in the sky. If you've played the game for more than a few days, it's not a big deal to see the stuff loading while you download it.

I can't speak highly enough for it. One of the best improvements in the game (phasing being the best).

4. Re: WoW Patch Plans Oct 11, 2010, 21:49 Frijoles

I don't recall WoW ever having a rollback. Dunno though. My guess is it'll be up at 5pm PST with stability sometime around Friday.  

News Comments > LOTRO Revenue Doubles
8. Re: LOTRO Revenue Doubles Oct 8, 2010, 11:59 Frijoles

Rattlehead wrote on Oct 8, 2010, 11:42:
Also, the free to play version doesn't have monster play?

Correct, it's grayed out in the free version. I've not looked at the store yet, but maybe it's available there. Not sure though.

News Comments > 12 Million WoW Subscribers
43. Re: 12 Million WoW Subscribers Oct 7, 2010, 16:31 Frijoles

Optional nickname wrote on Oct 7, 2010, 16:27:
12,000,000Wowtards X 15measlybucks x12months = 2,160,000,000.

As has been said over, and over, and over, and over.. not everyone pays $15 a month.

20. Re: 12 Million WoW Subscribers Oct 7, 2010, 12:37 Frijoles

Verno wrote on Oct 7, 2010, 11:17:
Yeah I have to wonder how many of these actual subs vs prepaid/alt/whatever,

Not sure how many people would have alt accounts. Obviously people do, but I don't know anyone who does. Unlike EVE, where 4 out of 5 people have an alt account (number made up). I can't see much use for an alt unless you want to dual-box in PvP or something.

This comment was edited on Oct 7, 2010, 15:30.

1. Re: 12 Million WoW Subscribers Oct 7, 2010, 10:45 Frijoles

I've started playing more due to Cata changes coming. The beta is a lot of fun. I hate the change to the talent trees though. Not looking forward to next week when that comes out (if it's next week).  

News Comments > More Duke Nukem Forever Footage
1. Re: More Duke Nukem Forever Footage Oct 5, 2010, 11:37 Frijoles

Ya know, the developers and publishers KNOW their videos are going to hit Youtube. They even said so in the last one. They should just fraps it and release an official version the same day of the demonstration.  

News Comments > World of Warcraft: Cataclysm in December
25. Re: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm in December Oct 4, 2010, 15:42 Frijoles

I'll be putting a pre-order in soon. Downloading the beta again to have a look at Archeology. Looks fun. Looking forward to the guild chat when everyone returns.  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 3, 2010, 15:38 Frijoles

Hmm.. where have I heard this "boot in seconds" thing before? Oh, I know. Every damn year for the last 20 years. I'll believe it when I see it.  

News Comments > The Settlers 7 Patches
6. Re: The Settlers 7 Patches Sep 29, 2010, 23:48 Frijoles

Whether the always-on DRM is an issue for you or not doesn't matter. I know my connection goes through shitty days, so there's no reason to buy this until the DRM is removed or until Comcast decides to stop dropping packets randomly.

Or until it's $5. I'll put up with it for that price. I'll buy this game the moment the DRM is removed. It looks fun.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 29, 2010, 15:06 Frijoles

3D reminds me of those 360 degree camera shots they did in the Matrix for the first movie, only a lot worse. It was cool at first, but right after that, they were everywhere and overused. 3D is the same way. I enjoyed Avatar in 3D, but after seeing a few other movies, I try to find 2D movies now. The latest Resident Evil was a good example of over-used 3D. Every fucking frame had to have something obvious and 3D. It's like the director had a 3D button and wouldn't stop pushing it.  

News Comments > Star Trek Deep Space Nine MMOG Announced
3. Re: Star Trek Deep Space Nine MMOG Announced Sep 28, 2010, 10:19 Frijoles

Was going to say something about the previous Star Trek game doing so well, but.. meh. Good luck to the devs.

News Comments > Civilization V Patched
10. Re: Civilization V Patch Sep 27, 2010, 23:47 Frijoles

Tumbler wrote on Sep 27, 2010, 22:47:
Am I the only one who can't skip this video clip in the beginning? I hate that shit. Game is great and that is a minor issue at best but it's still a big fuck you every time I start the game.

The cinematic hides the loading screen. As doktor_tchock said, you can turn it off in the settings, but then you just see an empty screen while it loads. On the plus side, you don't have to skip it since it'll start the game when it's done loading.

News Comments > Delve Deeper on Steam
5. Re: Delve Deeper on Steam Sep 25, 2010, 15:05 Frijoles

fix-cz wrote on Sep 25, 2010, 04:42:
Steam is kinda slow with indie games releases. This piece was available on GamersGate and Impulse several months ago.

The developer of Eschalon said something similar. He basically ended up just having the players start posting on Steam's suggestion board asking that it be added. Took a while though. I'm wondering what Steam does differently that takes the extra time (lack of resources devoted to getting indie games up perhaps?).

News Comments > Amnesia: The Dark Descent Patch
10. Re: Amnesia: The Dark Descent Patch Sep 24, 2010, 16:13 Frijoles

There's a demo on Steam if anyone wants to try it. I'll be giving it a shot later tonight. Hopefully the controls aren't ass.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Darksiders
17. Re: Ships Ahoy - Darksiders Sep 24, 2010, 13:08 Frijoles

Like so many other games, I'll get it... when it goes on sale for $20 or less. Here's looking forward to the Christmas Steam sale.  

2084 Comments. 105 pages. Viewing page 42.
< Newer [ 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo