Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Just Bob

Real Name Just Bob   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Frijoles
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Lord of the Beans
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2000, 18:23
Total Comments 2112 (Senior)
User ID 6700

User comment history
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Fallout New Vegas: Dead Money
4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Fallout New Vegas: Dead Money Feb 21, 2011, 23:35 Frijoles

I've spent 21 hours in Fallout:NV, and have yet to get to Vegas. I took a break; I think it's time to go back.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > World of Warcraft Hotfixes
5. Re: World of Warcraft Hotfixes Feb 17, 2011, 15:08 Frijoles

On the plus side, the launcher is all fancy now and installs only what it needs to survive. You can play after it finishes getting the core game files and then stream everything else as you run around. The Cata install was like 800 or so megs if I remember correctly (with a few gigs to stream in).  

News Comments > Retail Amnesia in N.A. Next Week
13. Re: Retail Amnesia in N.A. Next Week Feb 16, 2011, 00:08 Frijoles

I just can't get immersed enough in this game to feel scared. I tried playing late at night with all the lights out, but no luck.

Maybe I should find an abandoned warehouse and play there on a laptop around midnight.

News Comments > EVE Online: Incursion Updated
5. Re: EVE Online: Incursion Updated Feb 16, 2011, 00:04 Frijoles

The chat channels at least have a way to enlarge the text. The tiny UI does suck though. I thought I saw something about scaling the UI, but maybe I was thinking of WoW. On the other hand, my whole screen is filled with shit, so a larger UI would make it harder to see much.  

News Comments > RIFT Beta Opens, Tweet Your Friends
3. Re: RIFT Beta Opens, Tweet Your Friends Feb 16, 2011, 00:01 Frijoles

It's definitely WoW with a new skin. I compare it to vanilla WoW more than anything. The quests are very similar, and there's not much (any?) phasing that I can see. No riding quests. Not much of anything fancy with the quests.

None the less, I bought it. I enjoy WoW, but I want something different. The rifts are fun, the invasions are fun, and the classes are fun. That makes it different enough for me (at least for a bit) to give it a try. It's also very polished, something rare in the MMO world.

News Comments > Mirror's Edge 2 On Hold?
5. Re: Mirror's Edge 2 On Hold? Feb 14, 2011, 10:43 Frijoles

I got stuck in the first one and gave up. It was pretty up until then though.  

News Comments > Gabe Newell Profile
14. Re: Gabe Newell Profile Feb 14, 2011, 00:48 Frijoles

Prez wrote on Feb 13, 2011, 16:58:

Ok, just kidding - it's cool he didn't lose his sight. He could stand to lose a few (dozen) pounds though!

Some suggest he did lose weight:

http://images.forbes.com/media/2011/02/09/0209_gabe-newell_398.jpg

Kinda looks like he lost some.

News Comments > Gabe Newell Interview
21. Re: Gabe Newell Interview Feb 10, 2011, 15:54 Frijoles

New Source, old Source, I don't care as long as they can cut back on the loading screens (and load times).  

News Comments > Crysis 2 Has Dedicated Servers, New Trailers
8. Re: Crysis 2 Has Dedicated Servers, New Trailers Feb 10, 2011, 15:45 Frijoles

Bipedal aliens! What'll they think of next?! It's like we're living in the future.

News Comments > Blizzard Takes On Gold Sellers
4. Re: Blizzard Takes On Gold Sellers Jan 28, 2011, 22:47 Frijoles

How do you purpose Blizzard stop phishing scams that involve a 3rd party emailing you? What I wish they had done with Cata was to give everyone a free authenticator. That'd help with the account hijacking at least.  

News Comments > Brink in May
1. Re: Brink in May Jan 27, 2011, 11:34 Frijoles

Looks interesting, but I think I'll wait for reviews on this one.  

News Comments > WAKFU Closed Beta This Month
6. Re: WAKFU Closed Beta This Month Jan 22, 2011, 00:15 Frijoles

Unless they've changed it in the past few months, it's single unit. You can cast pets and other things, but they move on their own. If you've played Dofus, you've played this (kind of). Wakfu is just the next iteration. The map world scrolls around now, the terrain is more interesting, UI is totally different. There are a lot of improvements, but the gameplay is still similar to Dofus.

I haven't been in for a long while since I became inactive in the beta. When I was active, it was a good lunch game. Bright, colorful, addictive. I'm glad beta is finally starting. This game has been under development for a very long time.

News Comments > EVE Online Patched
3. Re: EVE Online Patched Jan 20, 2011, 00:19 Frijoles

My alliance is posting their pics. Very powerful editor and I'm impressed at what it can do. People are recreating real-life people in it (the evil Conan was awesome).  

News Comments > Propaganda Games Closed
11. Re: Propaganda Games Closed Jan 20, 2011, 00:00 Frijoles

I loved TRON 2.0. Would like to see it show up on Steam or GoG. It'd be an instant buy.  

News Comments > On Standalone Fallen Enchantress
6. Re: On Standalone Fallen Enchantress Jan 16, 2011, 23:05 Frijoles

My new plan for how to win every fight:

Create one mage. Surround it with archers:

AA
MA
AA

(wall is back-left). The enemy always targets the mages and won't be able to path to it. This causes them to skip turns. Archers kill everything without moving.

The last patch did nothing for AI that I can see.

News Comments > Elemental Expansion Detailed
13. Re: Elemental Expansion Detailed Jan 11, 2011, 23:02 Frijoles

Jonny wrote on Jan 11, 2011, 19:21:
So has anyone played Elemental yet? Beneath the bugs is the core game any good?

I can see a good game in it, it's just not there yet. I've played for many hours, though, so I feel like I got my money out of it. I don't really know about the campaign. I sorta skipped that and just played a bunch of skirmishes against the computer. Having said that, there's two main areas of Elemental that need improvement, AI and UI.

AI
The AI is just flat out stupid as of 1.1. Someone mentioned in the previous Elemental thread that the very latest update (last week some time) was almost all AI focused, so I really hope this has improved. Before, the AI didn't have a clue what it was doing. For example, I had a map where one melee unit was injured, so I moved him behind the other melee units. The AI couldn't path to it, so it just stood there while I beat on it, skipping turns and not doing anything. You can come across a group of 10 mobs and kill them all with 2 spells, taking zero damage. The mobs don't try to run, they don't do anything but their "move to X square and attack" moves. It's like playing with a blind person.

UI
The interface is awful. Little buttons that are hard to click, miss-clicking is easy all over the place, an equipment system that is just play crap, buttons that don't even work half the time. You can create a group of heroes and go forth to adventure. You click a single unit to view it, but then you forget you're viewing him and click a square and just the one unit moves leaving the others behind. Happened to me all the frickin' time. There's no rhyme nor reason to the equipment. It's just one big list and you get to scroll through it trying to see what you just got. You won't know if anything is an upgrade unless you exit the shop and enter the equipment screen (the button, if you recall, is broken 50% of the time).

I could go on and on about the UI and it's horribleness.

The spell system, leveling system, town system.. they're not bad. Spells are a bit useless, now that I think about it (I only used like 2 spells ever). I think, however, that spells would be better if the AI was better. Maybe I'd have a reason to use the other 90% of my spells instead of just single target attack #1 vs. AoE attack #2.

Questing should just be removed from the game. It's a "go here, go there" quest system. Absolutely no use.

City building can be frustrating if you haven't played much, mainly due to food and population caps. You can hit the cap and really hose yourself, ending up in you having to destroy buildings, but at least it forces you to make decisions. But, after you get a few towns, doesn't matter much anymore. There's not enough high level unique buildings that really matter much.

There's probably a lot of stuff I forgot. However, even after all that, I did have fun playing the game. Despite the seldom crashes, shit UI, and brain dead AI, it was fun. I liked watching the landscape change. I liked utterly destroying cities because they only had a unit or two watching them.

Worth $50 that I paid? No way. Worth $10? Yeah, I think so. Will I buy an expansion? I see no reason to at this point.

News Comments > Stardock: Fixing Elemental Will Eat Its Profits
24. Re: Stardock: Fixing Elemental Will Eat Its Profits Jan 11, 2011, 11:31 Frijoles

Good to hear. I'll give it another go. The AI in 1.1 would basically ignore your melee units (more or less) and try to go for your casters/archers. Which was stupid if you had a line of melee. You could even completely block off the unit they wanted to get to, and the attacker would just skip turns until it died. Wouldn't counter or anything, just stand there and die.  

News Comments > Stardock: Fixing Elemental Will Eat Its Profits
22. Re: Stardock: Fixing Elemental Will Eat Its Profits Jan 11, 2011, 10:30 Frijoles

I played 1.1 and actually finished a game. It was fun, but still very broken. The UI has some very annoying parts. Only crashed once though (a few hours of playing). Also, the default difficulty AI is retarded. Wasn't hard at all. The only challenge was keeping my cities fed.  

News Comments > World of Warcraft Hotfixes
5. Re: World of Warcraft Hotfixes Jan 6, 2011, 18:28 Frijoles

Clearly you've never seen my favors..  

News Comments > Minecraft Nears 1 Million Sales, New Mine OS
7. Re: Minecraft Nears 1 Million Sales, New Mine OS Jan 4, 2011, 11:17 Frijoles

LFace wrote on Jan 4, 2011, 10:33:
Whilst I appreciate people "not getting it", I would hope that you know there is two versions - free which is lego building, and paid for which adds survivor mode which is more of a usual single player game with mobs and crafting tools and exploration etc..

OHHHhhhhhh.... I must have played the free version. I dug a few holes and then wondered, "WTF is this shit and why is it so popular?" I knew it was supposed to have crafting and fighting, but didn't see any. That's probably why.

Still don't think I'll be buying it though. Not really my type of sandbox.

2112 Comments. 106 pages. Viewing page 41.
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo