Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Just Bob

Real Name Just Bob   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Frijoles
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Lord of the Beans
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2000, 18:23
Total Comments 2113 (Senior)
User ID 6700

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Dwarf Fortress Patch Next Month
12. Re: Dwarf Fortress Patch Next Month Jun 20, 2014, 16:51 Frijoles

Remember, traps are you friend. I typically wall my base in and then build a drawbridge to get out. Below the drawbridge is a 15+ level drop, and I have ton of traps on my base side of the bridge. When goblins attack, I let them get to the bridge, then drop it. By the time it drops, it's full of goblins. They all fall to their deaths. Then I flood the room and drown any that are still alive. It's awesome.

Unless the heavy bastards break my bridge. Then I rage as I'm getting murdered.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dwarf Fortress Patch Next Month
4. Re: Dwarf Fortress Patch Next Month Jun 20, 2014, 10:52 Frijoles

Sounds like my normal strategy of building a huge fucking wall all the way around the outside of my base (about 75% of the outside area) won't work anymore. I may have to actually train some fighters. Or just live underground 100%.

Looking forward to the update + 1 or 2 months for extra bug fixes.

News Comments > Star Citizen's Realistic Flight Explained
13. Re: Star Citizen's Realistic Flight Explained Jun 19, 2014, 11:56 Frijoles

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 11:14:
If Battlestar Galactica had been "realistic" the Cylons would have completely pwned them in every engagement, because robots have vastly higher G force resistance and thus could out-maneuver any human vessel by several factors.

They did (pwned them)! Also, figure if they can control gravity on their ships, maybe they can lower the G force in the smaller ships. I need to watch that show again.

News Comments > Star Citizen's Realistic Flight Explained
2. Re: Star Citizen's Realistic Flight Explained Jun 19, 2014, 09:58 Frijoles

As much as I can appreciate them going for realism-ish controls, I couldn't fly worth a damn. Hope it can be changed in single-player at least. Or maybe I'll just be Crew Member #5 on board the big ships.  

News Comments > Op Ed
27. Re: Op Ed Jun 16, 2014, 16:52 Frijoles

Cutter wrote on Jun 16, 2014, 13:52:
Isn't the real issue here the revised EULA? My understanding was that it was never prohibited originally and only recently they changed their minds. If that's the case he really hasn't got a legal leg to stand on.

Even if that's true, he could change it going forward. Anyone on the old version would be free to do this, but you'd never be able to upgrade your server. If someone wants to remain on an old version just so they can keep paying to win, fine by me.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Gameplay Footage
2. Re: The Witcher 3 Gameplay Footage Jun 16, 2014, 13:01 Frijoles

On one hand, I want to watch this and be amazed. On the other hand, I want to experience it in the game. 2015 is too far away.  

News Comments > Oculus VR Era Projections
14. Re: Oculus VR Era Projections Jun 11, 2014, 23:32 Frijoles

entr0py wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 22:06:
Yeah now that you mention it, "near cost" makes sense for a console where they make most of their money on games and licensing, but what revenue would Oculus get aside from hardware sales?

They want to create a digital distribution system in VR, similar to Steam. So similar they hired one of the main people behind Steam. If they get a cut of those sales, that would certainly help. On the other hand, Steam already has VR mode. I think Oculus wanted to vet the games a bit better though and only allow VR games in it. I've used VirtualReality.io for downloading some games It was pretty sweet. Haven't tried Steam yet in VR mode though, oddly enough.

News Comments > It Came from E3 2014, Part 1
8. Re: It Came from E3 2014, Part 1 Jun 9, 2014, 22:21 Frijoles

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 9, 2014, 20:27:
The Witcher 3 Shows off Open World Monster Hunting via The Escapist via Twitter.

I think the only games I've ever pre-ordered collector's edition are Blizzard games. I may have to branch out for the Witcher 3. Also, Escapist needs to put aside a few bucks and get a better camera. The resolution on that video was crap.

News Comments > Mirror's Edge Tease
14. Re: Mirror's Edge Tease Jun 9, 2014, 17:14 Frijoles

Trevellian wrote on Jun 9, 2014, 10:42:
No doubt, as they've already said they thought the original was "Too hard" and that there may be more combat options in the sequel.

Was thinking it needed less combat. If they're going to throw combat in, then spend some time and do it right. The combat parts in Mirror's Edge were crap (although I can't remember why).

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts
7. Re: U.K. Sales Charts Jun 9, 2014, 15:55 Frijoles

Pigeon wrote on Jun 9, 2014, 15:45:
I don't understand why MMOs in general don't make an easy ignore/report feature. I remember being astounded with FFXIV how hard they made it to report spammers, bots and cheaters, which entailed being able to remember the random string of letters spammers tend to have for names then navigating through an unfriendly report UI.

Because 1) the servers they use to develop on don't have spammers (since they're all friends/family). So they never see the spam. And 2) my own personal theory, developers of MMOs don't play MMOs (either as a regular player, or at all, IMO) and have no concept of spam. They never fix it until enough people bitch. It's rare to see an easy reporting method right out of the gate.

Although as NKD said, they must have something in place since it's getting false positives. Most of my spam is in the form of mail messages, probably because I've been sitting around in the major city.

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts
2. Re: U.K. Sales Charts Jun 9, 2014, 09:48 Frijoles

Wildstar has the worst spam of any MMO I've ever played. And I played ESO, so that's saying a lot. No way that I can see to easily report spammers, either (needs a right-click option in my mail). I kind of wonder why MMOs aren't able to more easily ban spam. Seems like it'd be an easy problem to solve (this email just went to 50 people and has a URL in it, better flag it for review).

News Comments > Star Citizen Patched
5. Re: Star Citizen Patched Jun 7, 2014, 13:00 Frijoles

ItBurn wrote on Jun 7, 2014, 11:58:
Moving and aiming takes some getting used to. It could be more responsive.

I couldn't fly worth shit. Broke out the joystick that I haven't touched in five years (surprised it still works), but every time I try to aim, I overshoot the target. Switched to mouse/keyboard and it was worse. The game needs a "I see you can't fly" option. Just didn't feel good. I did enjoy the graphics though.

News Comments > WildStar Launches - Free Realm Transfers
11. Re: WildStar Launches - Free Realm Transfers Jun 3, 2014, 15:43 Frijoles

I just unlocked housing in the game this morning. My character is so poor now. And the last few hours are a blur. Oh lordy, I'm playing Barbie's Dream House instead of questing. What has become of me?

Seriously, A+ on the housing in this game.

News Comments > New U.K. Sales Charts
2. Re: New U.K. Sales Charts Jun 2, 2014, 11:50 Frijoles

Getting the new one for my kid (and for me) for his birthday. Apparently you get a free game if you register it with Nintendo. Gonna have some Windwaker fun too.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
17. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 2, 2014, 01:23 Frijoles

netnerd85 wrote on Jun 2, 2014, 00:08:
Wolfenstein is a must buy for any FPS gamer. That Shotgun baby!

Screw the shotgun. Give me the fully upgraded laser cutter and a fresh charge. Don't even have to aim it!

Wolf Spoiler:

The ending of Wolf made me sad. I'm hoping the helicopters heard (after credits?) meant something.

News Comments > 75 New Steam Greenlights
4. Re: 75 New Steam Greenlights May 28, 2014, 20:55 Frijoles

Wallshadows wrote on May 28, 2014, 19:41:
Taking bets on how many will be redacted due to false advertising by the developer.

Was thinking this exact same thing.

News Comments > Watch Dogs Login Issues
7. Re: Watch Dogs Login Issues May 27, 2014, 21:21 Frijoles

wtf_man wrote on May 27, 2014, 21:14:
Uhhh... people weren't smart enough to immediately go into uplay's offline mode after activation? That's what I did for Far Cry 3.

Do the online "invasion" things (whatever they're called) work if it's in offline mode? Or is that just UPlay that goes offline while leaving Watch Dogs online?

News Comments > Steam Top 10
7. Re: Steam Top 10 May 25, 2014, 17:25 Frijoles

Game is fun and I'm enjoying it. There are a few annoying things though:

• The AI is crap. I backstabbed a dog standing right next to an NPC. If that wasn't bad enough, the NPC turned around and walked right past me killing his pet. I turned around and backstabbed him. Backstabbing makes you invisible I guess.

• The first car scene drove THROUGH an NPC. The NPC just kept on patrolling.

• The big mech guys are dumb as bricks and get stuck.

• The non-stealth approach is shit also, IMO. If you kill someone, all his buddies have ESP and know about it. Then an alarm is triggered and EVERYONE knows where you are. I've yet to actually cancel an alarm (they sure as hell don't time out). Usually I just reload the game and stealth in.

And every once in a while, an NPC acts like a zombie and walks right to me no matter where I am. I assume this is to teach me something, like the use of a new weapon. It's a really stupid way to do it. They don't shoot, they don't set off alarms, they just walk slowly up to you holding a baton and try to beat you. Breaks my immersion every time.

ASIDE from those issues and a few other minor ones, I'm having fun. I am enjoying the story and the characters, and I actually plan on finishing the game. Something I rarely do.

News Comments > Metro Redux Announced
    9. Re: Metro Redux Announced May 22, 2014, 23:22 Frijoles

Just finished Last Light over the weekend. I loved the atmosphere and story. I also hated the "stand here and defend" parts (kept running out of ammo). Mask parts weren't a big deal since I was finding filters every time I turned around.

Anyway, I'm interested in the AI and what changes they made. I basically just hid in the shadows and sniped them off one by one.

News Comments > ZeniMax Sues Oculus
    26. Re: ZeniMax Sues Oculus May 22, 2014, 09:48 Frijoles

commonperson wrote on May 22, 2014, 08:05:
    DangerDog wrote on May 22, 2014, 03:30:
    Maybe but even with the advances they've made with the technology all I seem to read is how it is fatiguing to use for any length of time.

There are a ton of developer and semi-public events here in Toronto. All of the people who've used the latest iteration have said these problems have been resolved.

I've heard the same thing. And since I get sick in the DK1 within about 10 minutes, I'll be a good test case for DK2. Will find out in July, I hope.

2113 Comments. 106 pages. Viewing page 5.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo