Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Just Bob

Real Name Just Bob   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Frijoles
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Lord of the Beans
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2000, 18:23
Total Comments 1994 (Pro)
User ID 6700

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam top 10
88. Re: you have my attention May 14, 2012, 17:20 Frijoles

Krakum wrote on May 14, 2012, 16:42:
BTW: I think I read that the whole zombies (AI) running through walls is a limitation of the game engine and can't be fixed. Is that true?

Last night I cleared out a larger building of zombies. In the process, some from outside ran to the side of the building and were able to hit me while I was standing against the wall. They didn't walk through the wall, but they definitely could swing through it. I took a step forward and they stopped hitting me. However, they were not smart enough to find the door.

Don't get me wrong, DayZ is buggy and not intuitive to use. It's still alpha, and since I've never played ArmaII, I don't know what is buggy due to the mod and buggy due to the game. The backpack inventory system is pure shit to use. Mobs (and animals you can find for food) can get stuck in the ground. Moving the mouse feels weird. Turning up gamma and brightness at night so you can see doesn't help much (but does make you feel like you're on drugs).

Even with the issues, I found it to have a lot of immersion. Running around the mountains at night with a pistol low on ammo and not being able to see shit was really fun. Especially since it throws in random sounds. I really want to find some other non-bandit players though so I can experience the team aspect of it.

Worth $30? Dunno yet. Worth a Steam sale of $10? Definitely.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

80. Re: Steam top 10 May 14, 2012, 12:33 Frijoles

Verno wrote on May 14, 2012, 09:52:
I haven't really done any research on the game, do you have to collect food, make shelter and whatnot? It sounds interesting but Diablo 3 is pretty close.

You have to find food/water/ammo. You don't really need shelter. Most of the buildings you do find either have zombies in them or you just can't enter them (no opening door). That's a very annoying thing about it. You can come across a small town, but only 1 or 2 buildings have a door. I hope that's just due to having to place all the buildings (that is, a time constraint) and not an engine constraint.

I think some groups have taken over some of the locations in the game to create a safe area. Dunno how that works though since the only human I've found shot me in the head.

72. Re: Steam top 10 May 14, 2012, 09:46 Frijoles

I'm enjoying DayZ. The controls are a bit wonky at times and the inventory is shit, but the immersion is great. I have trouble playing at night though due to it being so damn dark. I wish the starter pack had a flashlight.

News Comments > DOTA Trademark Settled
2. Re: DOTA Trademark Settled May 11, 2012, 16:53 Frijoles

The sound you hear is hundreds of lawyers crying out in anguish.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
12. Re: Morning Mobilization May 2, 2012, 16:42 Frijoles

Since it's still for sale for $5, I'm tempted to go buy it just so I can bitch and be apart of whatever happens.  

News Comments > Morning Previews
10. Re: Morning Previews Apr 30, 2012, 13:05 Frijoles

Alamar wrote on Apr 30, 2012, 12:30:
But since you can't swap to another arbitrary overflow zone, and the person you're grouped with, also gets thrown into a random one, you either have to get extremely lucky, or wait the hour (sometimes shorter, usually much longer, at least during peak) to be able to get into the same zone.

They said this one is a bug, and one that they hopefully fix soon. It's not a very social game if you can't group with people and actually see them.

News Comments > Morning Previews
6. Re: Morning Previews Apr 30, 2012, 10:53 Frijoles

I liked how my 30 minutes in WvW led to better PvE buffs. WvW looks pretty messy, though. Repairing a gate 10 supply at a time was painful. Definitely a guild thing. The world also seemed pretty small. I was hoping for something like DAoC where it was a huge spread-out area where you had to run in packs or get ganked.

I also didn't understand the map all that well. I need to spend more time with it.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
5. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 28, 2012, 12:47 Frijoles

Zarkonis wrote on Apr 28, 2012, 12:19:
It's amazing how we pay more in taxes than Great Britain.

Edit: nevermind, the chart I linked was percentage of taxes to GDP. Not what I was looking for. The UK site I did find said a middle income family pays 40% in taxes. I certainly don't pay that much in the US.

News Comments > NVIDIA Crowbar Tease
13. Re: NVIDIA Crowbar Tease Apr 27, 2012, 23:34 Frijoles

I'd be very surprised if Valve let anyone else announce HL3 other than themselves. So much anticipation of that one. I hope it's another augmented reality game (for the announce, not the unlock), even though I know people hate them.  

News Comments > Warlock - Master of the Arcane Demo
11. Re: Warlock - Master of the Arcane Demo Apr 27, 2012, 14:59 Frijoles

Total Biscuit did a WTF of this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ydHz7X4GF8

I went out and preordered it after watching that. For $20, I'll take that gamble.

News Comments > Alan Wake's American Nightmare Spotted on Steam
1. Re: Alan Wake's American Nightmare Spotted on Steam Apr 24, 2012, 10:27 Frijoles

A stunning sequel to the original Escape from Ventriloquist Island. This latest sequel comes complete with:

• Characters that have more than 10 joints!

• New facial animations that feature blinking eyes and eye lids!

• And of course, mouth animations that can move at least half a centimeter instead of not at all!

• I know I am excited.

News Comments > Retailer Leaks Dead Space 3 and NFS: Most Wanted 2 Hints
    10. Re: Retailer Leaks Dead Space 3 and NFS: Most Wanted 2 Hints Apr 18, 2012, 11:19 Frijoles

I thought it was over too.

Spoiler:
    Didn't they destroy obelisk thing (which I thought was a cool sequence)? Although I'm having a memory of his dead wife being in the ship with him.

I can't remember the ending.

News Comments > The Settlers Online Launches
    4. Re: The Settlers Online Launches Apr 17, 2012, 23:26 Frijoles

Yeah, it's not like the old Settlers much. It's kind of similar to the latest Settlers game in that some of the graphics are similar/same. But like Riker said, it's a lot of waiting around. That's why I'd call it a lunch game. I actually keep it up all day (unf) to update my mines and shit, but you don't need to.

It's not much of a game unless you're doing adventures. And even then it's not much of a game since you can just go get the guides or run the trainers to see how many troops you need.

News Comments > New Via Digital Distribution
    1. Re: New Via Digital Distribution Apr 17, 2012, 21:44 Frijoles

Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet looked pretty fun if I remember correctly. Anyone tried it yet?  

News Comments > The Settlers Online Launches
    1. Re: The Settlers Online Launches Apr 17, 2012, 21:40 Frijoles

I've been playing this for a while now (maybe a year now?). You can play the main game without spending money. Gems are the currency you can purchase, and they're used to buy a few special buildings, increase the number of buildings you can have, etc. You also earn gems if you login for a week straight, so you can eventually buy everything in the gem store without spending money.

It's basically a web-based lunch game. Something you login to once a day, push a few buttons for 15 min or so, then logout. If you get fairly high in level, you'll also be doing the adventures. Adventures are when you send your army after the NPCs in exchange for a few items.

No PvP in the game yet.

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition Released
    31. Re: The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition Released Apr 17, 2012, 00:20 Frijoles

One of the patch files, the main one at 9.something gigs, has failed to uncompress for me. And sadly now the game crashes on launch so it won't try patch. Guess I get to reinstall it.

News Comments > etc.
    16. Re: etc. Apr 16, 2012, 21:24 Frijoles

Didn't realize it wasn't on Steam. Maybe that's why I didn't even know it came out. Whereas I check for new Steam games every day. I'm like a drug addict with Steam.  

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition Released
    12. Re: The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition Released Apr 16, 2012, 21:19 Frijoles

Yeow. Yeah, 12.25GB patch size. Holy crap. Wonder how it's laid out that makes downloading the whole game from scratch required (aside from requiring two additional languages).

Oh well, it's worth it. I loved my first play through. Looking forward to seeing it again.

News Comments > etc.
    2. Re: etc. Apr 16, 2012, 10:55 Frijoles

The initial trailer looked cool. But I didn't even see that it had shipped, and after I did learn of it, I heard it was full of bugs. Not to mention I've also heard it was a piss-poor console port. I'll buy it when it's $10, maybe less.  

News Comments > World of Warcraft Welcome Back
    4. Re: World of Warcraft Welcome Back Apr 14, 2012, 12:59 Frijoles

Aren't all MMOs grinding?  

1994 Comments. 100 pages. Viewing page 18.
    < Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo