Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Just Bob

Real Name Just Bob   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Frijoles
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Lord of the Beans
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2000, 18:23
Total Comments 2049 (Senior)
User ID 6700

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > Destiny Announced for Consoles
3. Re: Destiny Announced for Consoles Feb 17, 2013, 18:20 Frijoles

Saw this on RPS:

"We did a bunch of ambitious things on Halo deliberately to reach out to people. We limited players to two weapons, we gave them recharging health, we automatically saved and restored the game – almost heretical things to first-person shooters at the time. We made the game run without a mouse and keyboard. And now nobody plays shooters the way they used to play them before Halo ’cause nobody wants to."

Riiiiighht....

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > SpellForce 2: Faith in Destiny DLC
7. Re: SpellForce 2: Faith in Destiny DLC Feb 16, 2013, 23:30 Frijoles

Jivaro wrote on Feb 16, 2013, 14:37:
The kind of games you would expect to see in a PC Gamer "10 Best Games You Have Never Played" list. Spellforce is one of those.

This is really surprising to me. Every time it goes on sale on Steam, I have a look at them. They are rated _horribly_ on Metacritic. Spellforce 2 (Faith in Destiny) is in the 5s. The Gold Edition fairs better at 7.4, but that's the older game and still not exactly a stellar number. So I'm surprised to hear positive things about it.

Makes me wonder if it got dinged for the DRM. I may have to buy it next time it is on sale.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
19. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 15, 2013, 16:30 Frijoles

I love my Wii U. It's basically how I watch Netflix. And it's so easy to use, my kids know how to load Netflix to watch their cartoons. Now if they'd just release Zelda...  

News Comments > Obsidian on Fallout: New Vegas 2 Prospects
17. Re: Obsidian on Fallout: New Vegas 2 Prospects Feb 12, 2013, 15:06 Frijoles

Lobster wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 14:23:
Ugh. I loved everything about Fallout: New Vegas EXCEPT for New Vegas.

Same here. Played everything around the city, but after going in, I stopped playing. I really liked DC, though. I had fun crawling through subways and destroyed buildings.

News Comments > WoW Currency Conversions
8. Re: WoW Currency Conversions Feb 6, 2013, 18:02 Frijoles

I continue to play, as do a bunch of my friends. We all say the same thing, someday it will all be gone. All the money we've put in to it, all the items we've collected in a virtual world, all the time. It'll be gone someday. Won't be for a while, though. EQ is still up. And honestly, I don't care. I enjoy it. I don't cry when a movie ends (unless it was really good), despite having nothing to show for it. Feels the same with WoW. I play now to hang out with my online friends.  

News Comments > Oculus Rift Vision Correction Support
3. Re: Oculus Rift Vision Correction Support Feb 6, 2013, 10:53 Frijoles

I used to be very interested in VR, back when I was graduating high school and entering college (many years ago). I had an HMD, Virtual IO I think it was, and it was fun to play with. But ultimately it was shit. The resolution was horribly low. The FOV was terrible. The head tracking wasn't exactly accurate. A game of Descent left me hunched over crashing in to walls while I felt like puking.

Skip ahead to Oculus. When the Kickstarter was announced, I was definitely dubious. It sounded like Virtual IO all over again. That is, it sounded like shit. I admit it had my attention when Carmack and Newell came out in support of it. But then the reviews started to come out. I haven't seen a single negative review for these things. They seem to have nailed it in the areas that matter. FOV, resolution, latency.

As has been said elsewhere, a lot of technologies are coming together for the first time. Cheap high-quality screens for the optics, low-latency tracking, developers, and Kickstarter. Personally I'm interested in this because it's something I've always been interested in, only this time it really looks like they got it right. And at the right time. I'm still extremely skeptical. Nonetheless, I dropped the $300 for a pair of dev glasses. If they suck, well, it's a toy for my kids when they get older (not supposedly to let children use these types of devices since I guess it'll screw their eyes up).

But if it's as amazing as it sounds, and it is indeed a game changer, I want to be there when it starts. So I can sit around on message boards and talk about the old days when it just came out, like we do with graphic cards. So I can be part of that first wave of amazement and tinkering. But mainly because VR is something I've always been interested in.

tl;dr: because it looks neato.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dead Space 3
6. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Space 3 Feb 5, 2013, 23:14 Frijoles

I bought both 1 and 2 and enjoyed them both. Passing on 3 due primarily to Origin. I see they're pimping DLC already.  

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Revealed for Next Year
26. Re: The Witcher 3 Revealed for Next Year Feb 5, 2013, 15:12 Frijoles

nin wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 14:38:
I'm the same way, but I'm going to give it another go. And yeah, I see that comment everywhere as well ("Stick with it! It gets better!").

I gave up on Witcher 1 about the same place as everyone else. However, I finished Witcher 2 and then replayed it. I enjoyed it a lot more. I tell my friends to skip 1 and go for 2. If they enjoy it, circle back for the first one. Yeah, there will be confusion, but it's not bad.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
11. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 4, 2013, 18:07 Frijoles

Panickd wrote on Feb 4, 2013, 11:20:
Plus they have somehow convinced their idiot fanboys that digital purchases should be tied the the console they were purchased on thereby making them buy the same games over and over again.

You can transfer the virtual games to Wii U. Were you talking about something else? Did Wii sell any other type of digital game (serious question, I only bought some virtual games).

News Comments > Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods Announced
5. Re: Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods Announced Feb 4, 2013, 09:37 Frijoles

justice7 wrote on Feb 4, 2013, 09:21:
I highly recommend this game, if you have the patience to learn it.

This game taught me that I don't, in fact, have as much patience as I thought I did. I think I watched the Let's Play and tutorial videos for longer than I actually played it. Some day I hope to have time to return to it.

News Comments > THQ Postmortem
12. Re: THQ Postmortem Jan 31, 2013, 23:21 Frijoles

nin wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 22:48:
zombiefan wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 22:35:
THQ :: Sarah Palin

Oh, please explain, I can't wait to hear this...

He cheers their death in every THQ thread, but never responds when asked why. I've come to expect it. Given his hate, I assume THQ did bad things to his loved ones.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dungeonland
1. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dungeonland Jan 29, 2013, 22:21 Frijoles

After watching a couple Let's Play of this... I have no idea what it is. Neither did the reviewers. They seemed to be enjoying themselves though.  

News Comments > Morning Previews
3. Re: Morning Previews Jan 28, 2013, 16:05 Frijoles

Not a bad game. I'm curious, though. There's a lot of people on Blues that love PoE. But they're the same people that bitched about the always-on DRM in Diablo 3. Doesn't PoE have the same exact thing? I've only logged in once, so I haven't checked to see if my chars are saved to a cloud. I'm guessing they are.  

News Comments > On Sale
13. Re: On Sale Jan 26, 2013, 20:54 Frijoles

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 26, 2013, 20:21:
....am I the only one still sticking to my guns on not installing Origin?

Nope.

News Comments > THQ Sale Results?
31. Re: THQ Sale Results? Jan 23, 2013, 18:03 Frijoles

Creston wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 17:04:
Are Koch Media the guys behind Deep Silver? I can't remember. I think they are, in which case it's not great, since Deep Silver is one of the worst fucking publishers on the planet. Enjoy your TAGES DRM on your Steam games...

Hopefully Metro is far enough along that additional DRM would be a huge pain in the ass. I think it's supposed to ship fairly soon. I thought it was late January, but Steam just says early 2013.

News Comments > WoW PvP Gear Preview
2. Re: WoW PvP Gear Preview Jan 18, 2013, 14:30 Frijoles

That'd be awesome. Or better, stick the WoW players on the ground as champion mobs against the D3 units. That'd be fun.

News Comments > Oculus Rift Impressions
3. Re: Oculus Rift Impressions Jan 10, 2013, 12:05 Frijoles

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 10:18:
Note that the comments from Valve's Michael Abrash talked about simulator sickness, this is not something you feel unless you have interactive gameplay that extends for a certain amount of time.

I have this problem with the nVidia 3D glasses (waste of money). I can use them for about 30 minutes before I don't feel so good. The Oculus is getting good reviews, though.. so hopefully it will be different.

News Comments > THQ Asset Auction January 22nd
1. Re: THQ Asset Auction January 22nd Jan 7, 2013, 21:01 Frijoles

Maybe if we all chip in we can get one. I've got $5.  

News Comments > On Standalone DayZ DelayZ
3. Re: On Standalone DayZ DelayZ Jan 7, 2013, 18:04 Frijoles

War Z's problems seem to all stem from policies and admins, not the game itself. Sure, some people didn't review it too highly, but that's not the reason for wanting to burn the guy's house down.

If it's just a bad game, then it's just a bad game. If you lie about your bad game and then ban people left and right after taking their money, that's totally different.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: 3D film making Dec 27, 2012, 11:42 Frijoles

Quboid wrote on Dec 27, 2012, 11:06:
I like 3D films, it's the related things I dislike.

I hate that they shove it in your face. LOOK, WE'RE 3D! Let's have this stupid, unnecessary use of CGI to show all the SHIT we can throw IN YOUR FACE now. It's so over the top it just feels forced. I pray that smell-o-vision never works out for this very reason. Also the additional $5 I have to pay for a worse movie experience pisses me off. I go to 2D if it's available and at a good time.

2049 Comments. 103 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo