Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Just Bob

Real Name Just Bob   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Frijoles
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Lord of the Beans
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2000, 18:23
Total Comments 2112 (Senior)
User ID 6700

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Stardock Announces Sorcerer King: Early Access Underway
3. Re: Stardock Announces Sorcerer King: Early Access Underway Oct 2, 2014, 23:07 Frijoles

I enjoyed Fallen Enchantress to put couple dozen hours in to it (I even played Elemental as best I could). But this just looks way too similar. They're going to have to work harder to differentiate it or I won't buy. I've already played that game.

This comment was edited on Oct 3, 2014, 10:03.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
4. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Oct 2, 2014, 00:27 Frijoles

I backed a good 20 - 30 projects last year (and a bit of the previous year). This year I've backed maybe 2 or 3. I got burned by some games, at least one never sent me a Steam key despite attempts to contact them, and the successful games I can count on one hand and have fingers to spare. Granted most of them aren't out yet.

I've lost almost all hope for Kickstarter. Most of the games I backed, however, are not out yet so there's still hope. And I did back a few things that were not games, so maybe those will pan out and I'll start backing again. For games though, I'll just wait for a full release on Steam (none of that early access shit).

News Comments > Ryzom Forge Announced
3. Re: Ryzom Forge Announced Oct 1, 2014, 14:50 Frijoles

Also surprised it's still running. I loved the gathering system. When they added the tutorial/starter island, I was hopeful they'd bring that stuff over to the mainland, but I never saw that. Grinding mobs to level didn't appeal to me. I still think it had the best gathering system we've seen in an MMO (although Firefall made a good try at it).  

News Comments > Gauntlet Released
9. Re: Gauntlet Released Sep 23, 2014, 22:25 Frijoles

This game better tell me about the wizard and his hunger or close calls with death. It's not Gauntlet without the announcer telling you that your asshole friend just shot the food.  

News Comments > Tim Schaefer Addresses Spacebase DF-9 Questions
28. Re: Tim Schaefer Addresses Spacebase DF-9 Questions Sep 22, 2014, 14:42 Frijoles

nin wrote on Sep 22, 2014, 10:01:
So I guess my question is (granted, answer being subjective): Did they charge $25 and plan to make a $25 game, and have scaled back what it does to a $8 game? That's the impression I'm getting here, but I also admit I've not played it, nor reviewed the features.

The game as it is right now isn't really a bad game, it's just not done. I've probably played it a good 6 hours over the last several months. The main issue I have with them doing this is that there are still some huge issues with the game. I wouldn't call them bugs, though. For example, your equipment breaks down really fast compared to how fast the techs can repair them. This means you have to have a huge number of your workers dedicated to fixing stuff, and it's probably still not enough. NPCs will sit and chat/play games while they starve to death. There seems to be no prioritization in the NPC logic. Air scrubbers about to blow? Better go to sleep.

That just makes the game frustrating. But then there's the constant alerts and reminders popping up. Ships continually asking to come aboard (about once every 1.5 minutes). Defenses don't work for shit (unless it's an enemy turret, then you're fucked). Even security duty officers can't kill anything. A single enemy can wipe out an entire base of geared security officers.

There's no goal in the game, either. I'd be fine if the goal was to build a big-ass starbase. A lot of fun in DF comes from building a massive base. I'd do the same in DF-9. But with the problems above, that's just not an option. I really hope the 1.0 version tweaks some of it to at least make it less aggravating. If it doesn't, then what? I will have to rely on some stranger fixing my game? How does that work, Steam Workshop? A random website with an exe I should run?

DF lost me as a customer due to how they handled this.

News Comments > Double Fine Taking Heat for Spacebase DF-9 Release Plans
28. Re: Double Fine Taking Heat for Spacebase DF-9 Release Plans Sep 20, 2014, 21:49 Frijoles

jdreyer wrote on Sep 20, 2014, 21:23:
I really feel DF is shooting themselves in the foot. How do they expect anyone to crowdsource any of their future projects? This is a PR nightmare.

Yep. I bought DF9, one of the first games I've bought from Double Fine. I bought it precisely because I had heard good things about other Double Fine games. I have no intention of every giving them money again. I already backed Massive Chalice, so that could redeem them if the get it right. I expect nothing but tears though.

They should have done a better job cancelling the game instead of "thanks for the cash, now fuck off."

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIII for PC Announced
4. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIII for PC Announced Sep 18, 2014, 20:02 Frijoles

Isn't this the shitty version where you basically just push "A" until the game ends? Pretty movie, lousy game. At least they're trying. I think. Guess we'll see how good of a port it is before I say that.  

News Comments > ArcheAge Launches; Founders Unhappy
27. Re: ArcheAge Launches; Founders Unhappy Sep 17, 2014, 10:36 Frijoles

Yakubs wrote on Sep 17, 2014, 08:38:
Bunch of whiners. I played the game with no problem at all last night. Launch was perfectly fine.

hahahaha.. servers are down right now. Again. People didn't get their founder perks. After 1 day of head start, all the land was gone. Game randomly disconnects and crashes. Launch was anything but perfect. And comparing it to WoW's craptastic launch? Really? That's our target? I mean, it's not like they knew in advance how many founders packs they had sold and could anticipate needing at LEAST that many servers. No, this launch was shit.

The game is fun, if you can log in.

News Comments > Saints Row Creative Director Joins Valve
1. Re: Saints Row Creative Director Joins Valve Sep 15, 2014, 09:32 Frijoles

Yay, dildo hats in TF2!  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Fable Anniversary
28. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Fable Anniversary Sep 13, 2014, 11:36 Frijoles

Gadzooks wrote on Sep 13, 2014, 03:21:
If you choose to buy this game, you will hate yourself

I did. I do.

News Comments > ArcheAge Head Start Issues
1. Re: ArcheAge Head Start Issues Sep 13, 2014, 11:32 Frijoles

Lots of issues with this launch, not just the ones above. Their authentication server has been down all morning. Land is all gone, too, unless you want to build a house in a PVP zone. The general population hasn't even started yet.  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Fable Anniversary
6. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Fable Anniversary Sep 12, 2014, 21:43 Frijoles

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 12, 2014, 21:00:
They did beef the graphics.. but this games problem never were the graphics ;p

The Steam reviews are hating on the graphics saying they're blurry and looks like shit. Also saying the controls are still shit. This makes me sad. I enjoyed the original Fable, but I do recall the controls being pure dogshit.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Launch Pricing and Preorder Bonus
19. Re: Elite: Dangerous Launch Pricing and Preorder Bonus Sep 12, 2014, 13:30 Frijoles

Slick wrote on Sep 12, 2014, 13:20:
anyone here tried this game with a HOTAS? (hands on throttle and stick) and care to comment on what works and what doesn't?

I bought the Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X Flight Stick

I don't recall paying that much, though. Thought it was $50. I've got vertical thrust bound to a couple keys on the thruster which makes it much easier to fly. Only problem I found is that the front switch on the thrust controls don't seem to do anything and I can't bind them to anything. It'd be nice to have panels or thrust bound to that.

The controls have the Thrustmaster as an option, but I didn't care for it. I ended up changing things around. There's also a lot of hidden buttons on this thing, so I had to look it over and find all the buttons I could map. Overall it was well worth $50.

Thrustmaster + Rift = awesome. I'm up to about 2 hours in game with no problems. I've gotten pretty good at working the panels in the game, so now I just flip my head around to turn things on and off in the ship. And hitting hyperspace/supercruise never gets old.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 12, 2014, 10:16 Frijoles

So with things like PRISM, the company is threatened and told they can't discuss it because it's top secret. The reason it's top secret is because they don't want the public to know (they wouldn't support it), and it'd undermine the purpose. I can't help but wonder what would happen if Yahoo (or whomever) said fuck it, and brought it public anyway. Would the outcry cause the government to back down from going after Yahoo for making it public, or would Yahoo be fucked. Not sure what I'd do in this case. I'd probably not make my security strong enough to protect the documents on the case, and then act surprised when someone leaks the info.

News Comments > Star Trek: Alien Domain Announced
5. Re: Star Trek: Alien Domain Announced Sep 11, 2014, 11:11 Frijoles

The Star Trek copyright holders must be getting low on cash for hookers and blow.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
26. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 8, 2014, 09:42 Frijoles

jacobvandy wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 07:45:
The first time I tried State of Decay, i felt the same way. You have to stick it out through the dinky tutorial area and (unfortunately) some more tutorial-type quests after that before it really opens up. Still, though, it does get too repetitive after a while.

Running over a mob of zombies in your truck never gets old. 7 Days to Die has been in the top list for a while now. Sounds like it's time to pick it up. I enjoyed State of Decay, but always wanted more from the base building part.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
7. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Sep 6, 2014, 23:19 Frijoles

Fantaz wrote on Sep 6, 2014, 22:51:
i think Samsung's Gear VR with Note 4 will be better than the Oculus Rift because it will be 1440p compared to 1080p. i just wonder if Gear VR can hook up to a computer or not...

Rift CV1 will be a minimum of 1440p. They've said so multiple times, going so far as to say "minimum" (as in, could be higher). The Note 4 version won't hit 90fps either, something they're targeting with CV1. If the Note 4 + Gear weren't so expensive, I'd consider getting one for playing around, but that's at tad high.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
5. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Sep 6, 2014, 20:46 Frijoles

jdreyer wrote on Sep 6, 2014, 18:18:
Oculus Rift
$400: Fully unlocked. Doesn't require Facebook.

I'd pay the $400. Elite Dangerous is incredibly fun with it. I can't play it anymore without my Rift (pushing a button to mouse look is annoying). No motion sickness at all, either. Too bad getting it to run is a pain in the ass still.

News Comments > ArcheAge Open Beta
5. Re: ArcheAge Open Beta Sep 5, 2014, 12:55 Frijoles

Dammit. I didn't want to join another MMO. Now to see if it shows up on Steam again. Certainly sounds interesting. And it was in the top 10 list for a while on Steam before they removed it.  

News Comments > Free Unreal Engine 4 for Schools
3. Re: Free Unreal Engine 4 for Schools Sep 4, 2014, 23:25 Frijoles

wraithnix wrote on Sep 4, 2014, 22:48:
I wish they had told us students HOW to get this freebie. I'm in school for computer engineering....I'd love to check this engine out!

Looks like you have to get your instructor to sign up for it, then they get it installed in computer labs and what not.

2112 Comments. 106 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo