Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Just Bob

Real Name Just Bob   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Frijoles
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Lord of the Beans
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2000, 18:23
Total Comments 2123 (Senior)
User ID 6700

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Reminder: Diablo III Auctions End Next Month
10. Re: Reminder: Diablo III Auctions End Next Month Feb 19, 2014, 12:37 Frijoles

Cutter wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 12:01:
I'd be much more interested in seeing how many of those supposed 6 million sales even finished the game and how many people continued to play for how long. I'd suspect there was a massive rate of attrition with this title.

At least we'll have some idea based on how well the expansion sells.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Rabbids Film Plans
8. Re: Rabbids Film Plans Feb 10, 2014, 17:59 Frijoles

Asmo wrote on Feb 10, 2014, 16:52:
and eventually managed to somehow be popular enough (with who eludes me, but I digress)

4 - 7 year olds.. ie, my children. They love them. They've yet to find the game hidden on my Wii though.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
12. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 9, 2014, 16:26 Frijoles

jdreyer wrote on Feb 9, 2014, 13:33:
I realize it's the encounters with actual humans that make DayZ the most interesting,

And by most interesting, you mean lamest? Until randomly killing humans at the very least flags someone as potentially dangerous, this game will be on my avoid-like-the-plague list.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
6. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 8, 2014, 11:45 Frijoles

3D isn't worth the extra $5 price they want to charge around here. There's no way those cheap-ass glasses cost that much. Hell, let me keep my own pair (or buy a nice pair) and bring them in. Charge me $5 to buy them there, or nothing extra if I have my own. Going to a movie by myself in the morning (when tickets are cheaper) still costs about $22 after I buy a small popcorn and drink. It's only worth it for the top-end movies I really want to see.

News Comments > Steam Adds Discoverability Options
6. Re: Steam Adds Discoverability Options Feb 7, 2014, 22:20 Frijoles

I'd like to see an option to filter this to only the games I already own. As it is, it's just another box of sales pitches that I'll ignore.

Edit: There's a "Your Games & Software" link on the page. It doesn't appear to be working, though, since I see updates for games I don't own.

News Comments > EVE: Valkyrie an Oculus Rift Exclusive Launch Title
11. Re: EVE: Valkyrie an Oculus Rift Exclusive Launch Title Feb 6, 2014, 00:07 Frijoles

Cutter wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 22:24:
Then there's who's actually going to adopt it. Remember Intel MMX technology? And 64 bit. Man, I was on 64 bit back with XP waiting for all these 64 bit games to arive and they're *just* finally starting to show up now. So even *if* it arrives this year, I wouldn't hold my breath about developers rushing out to adopt their games for it.

The good thing about OR is that if your game uses DirectX, it can be hacked to work in the OR. It's not an ideal experience, but it works. Look at Skyrim or Minecraft. They both work really well. Native support, and a dev that knows the limitations of VR, is definitely the better option. I have to close my eyes during the load screens in HL2 or the floating head cutscenes in Doom 3. These things are minor though.

News Comments > Stick of Truth Sticks it to Uplay; Preorders Underway
4. Re: Stick of Truth Sticks it to Uplay; Preorders Underway Feb 5, 2014, 10:19 Frijoles

Looking forward to the reviews on this game. The videos they've released look good. $60 just seems a bit high though unless the reviews are extremely good.  

News Comments > Brad McQuaid/Richard Garriott Kickstarter Cross-Promotion
6. Re: Brad McQuaid/Richard Garriott Kickstarter Cross-Promotion Jan 31, 2014, 21:54 Frijoles

Slashman wrote on Jan 31, 2014, 19:53:
I haven't looked at it lately. What's wrong with it exactly?

Keep in mind that the game is pre-pre-pre-alpha, and these are just my thoughts. I hate to base a decision on graphics, especially one this early in development, but they're just so bad that it's hard to look past them. They really remind me of Asheron's Call 1. The assets from the store in Unity are better than this. Along with the graphics, the character animations and looks are just as badly done, and the interface/controls are terrible. So that was the very first thing that struck me.

Furthermore, it seems that every update that comes out about the game is almost entirely devoted to the housing system. And with good reason (from their side). They're selling plots of land in the game to help fund it. The more time goes on, the more this looks like just an attempt to sell virtual houses. There's talk of other systems, but we hardly ever see anything. The alpha build we got to play was very limited, and surprise, focused on the buildings. And the furniture that goes in the buildings. And the little dresses you can get for your dollies. And the tea-time and ...

I think I dumped around $100 bucks in to the Kickstarter, and I regret doing that now. I have zero interest in the game. As I mentioned in another thread, this game pretty well destroyed my belief that I could play an alpha and be a good tester. If it's going to look like this, I'll wait for beta or release (and in fact I am). I've not played since one of the original downloads. Anyway, I really hope they turn this around. It sounded really fun. All my friends jumped in. I'll just avoid the updates until it gets close to release.

News Comments > Brad McQuaid/Richard Garriott Kickstarter Cross-Promotion
2. Re: Brad McQuaid/Richard Garriott Kickstarter Cross-Promotion Jan 31, 2014, 19:02 Frijoles

Darks wrote on Jan 31, 2014, 18:33:
Shroud of the Avatar is an Absolut disappointment. This game is a is going to be another one on RG's resume as a failed attempt.

Yeah, I'm pretty worried about it. I've stopped doing kickstarters because of how that one is looking. Was hoping he was coding a game, not a method to sell virtual real-estate. I hope he turns it around.

News Comments > Tomb Raider Definitive Edition Graphics Comparison
5. Re: Tomb Raider Definitive Edition Graphics Comparison Jan 30, 2014, 11:20 Frijoles

It's the eyes that really "do it" for me. The PS4 eyes look like they have no soul and are lifeless. The environments looked great though on the PS4 (based on the video). Just the character model and a few effects that looked off.

Some day I'll finish this game.

News Comments > EA Financials
4. Re: EA Financials Jan 28, 2014, 19:58 Frijoles

Cutter wrote on Jan 28, 2014, 19:41:
Life without EA and Actiblizz would be better all around for everyone everywhere.

Yeah, sucks that we have to buy their games. If only there were a way to avoid that.

News Comments > Leaked Source 2 Screenshot?
9. Re: Leaked Source 2 Screenshot? Jan 27, 2014, 22:08 Frijoles

DangerDog wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 19:56:
Update to Source engine is way overdue.

Haven't they been continually updating it over the years, adding new bits of technology to it? Get rid of the damn loading screens and I'll be happy with it.

News Comments > EQN Landmark Alpha System Requirements
2. Re: EQN Landmark Alpha System Requirements Jan 24, 2014, 21:49 Frijoles

I gave them some money so I could get in to the alpha/beta (think I'm signed up for alpha). But after huge letdowns from some Kickstarter alphas, I'm hesitating trying this one until it's closer to release. I thought I could shrug it off and tell myself they're alpha games, but that doesn't seem to be working, and I find myself judging the game based on those initial alpha versions.

I'm not a good alpha candidate, I've decided. Maybe late beta.

News Comments > How to Try the SteamVR Beta
1. Re: How to Try the SteamVR Beta Jan 14, 2014, 09:59 Frijoles

Valve is really going all in on VR. I'm glad to see it. Hoping to have a look at SteamVR later. Before it was just launching the Rift's configuration program (gets your height, IPD, etc).  

News Comments > On SimCity Modding
10. Re: On SimCity Modding Jan 10, 2014, 21:53 Frijoles

Clever Caviar wrote on Jan 10, 2014, 18:10:
I find EA's attitude towards gamers...astonishing. Truly they view any and all as just peons they can do what they wish with.

Considering people still buy their shit, they'd be right. They release broken games loaded with DLC and still people throw money at them time after time. Why would they give a fuck what the peons think?

News Comments > John Carmack Developing Oculus VR Games
17. Re: John Carmack Developing Oculus VR Games Jan 8, 2014, 15:31 Frijoles

Scheherazade wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 14:56:
I would grudgingly give up ~$300 for a 1/2 1080p HMD. (knowing I would try it out just for kicks, then put it on a shelf and never use it again. It'd be money to burn.)
But I would happily give up ~$1000 for a full 1440p HMD. (knowing that it would get used all the time, and I'd get my money's worth)

The rumor is that Valve is developing an HMD prototype as well, but their goal is not how to make it possible for consumers, but rather to show off what is possible. Their target budget isn't $300, it's $whateverYouNeed. Hopefully they show that off at their Steam Dev Days thing next week and we can hear some feedback on it.

I'm with you, though. I'd much rather drop a grand on a really good Rift instead of an okay cheaper Rift. And I don't doubt that some day that will be possible. They're being extremely careful with the launch, so I hope it works out. I'd love VR to stay.

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
8. Re: Saturday Interviews Jan 4, 2014, 22:15 Frijoles

Panickd wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 21:09:
If you can't use the game as a platform to sell hats, keys, cards, backgrounds, emoticons and other useless geegaws it's not worth making.

I'd pay for an Alyx. erm, I mean... um.. nevermind.

News Comments > Steam, Origin DDoSed?
15. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 3, 2014, 12:21 Frijoles

Wesp5 wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 12:08:
Maybe this was intended as some kind of warning to Valve, which is planning to conquer the living room with their Steamboxes when they can't even keep Steam running under stress. Or at online DRM at all, which is generally a bad idea as these situations show...

Meh, couldn't play the Brothers game due to the cloud being offline. But most of my other single-player games worked just fine. I agree though, this shows that online DRM sucks. I was more annoyed that I couldn't see the status of my friends.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2014, 13:24 Frijoles

Creston wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 12:29:
Nah, it's enterprises finally migrating from XP to 7 because XP's support ends in 3 months.

That's exactly what we're doing. I have about a half-dozen more XP systems to get rid of. And then I get to repeat all of this in a year for the Server 2003 end of life. That one will suck.

News Comments > World of Warcraft Pricing Survey
2. Re: World of Warcraft Pricing Survey Jan 1, 2014, 13:22 Frijoles

I'd pay to bring an alt to 90. What I'd prefer, though, is that they throw Elixir of Arcane Knowledge on more rares. It gives you a 300% boost to XP for an hour. It's great for leveling alts, but only drops from one rare and has a shit drop rate (like 10%).

As for the annual pass, I signed up for that last time because they included Diablo. I'm not sure I'd do the same for WoD. Give me a guaranteed beta slot for Titan and they'd have a deal.

Or Warcraft 4. I predict Jaina is going to go crazy and become the next villain for an RTS. Calling it now.

2123 Comments. 107 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo