Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Just Bob

Real Name Just Bob   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Frijoles
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Lord of the Beans
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2000, 18:23
Total Comments 2049 (Senior)
User ID 6700

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - X Rebirth
19. Re: Ships Ahoy - X Rebirth Nov 15, 2013, 11:29 Frijoles

Performance is shit on my system also (AMD HD6900, i7, 12 gigs of memory). Character models look horrible, and the subtitles don't line up very well with the audio (not bad, but annoying). No crashes or bugs that I've seen, but the tutorial didn't seem very helpful. Also, I can't bind my mouse buttons to fire weapons???

Story spoiler snide remark:
Sure, come on board my ship and start dicking around. What do I care?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
4. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Nov 10, 2013, 14:09 Frijoles

nin wrote on Nov 10, 2013, 13:20:
I'm surprised, especially with the design of the new WOW expansion to cover the history of WC1/WC2, that they didn't announce any sort of online download of the two games. I'd gladly pay $5-$10 each for digital copies that would run fine under 7/8...

In one of the panels, they mentioned that they're trying to get them to work on modern operating systems. So there is hope. I've been hoping to play WC2 again for a while now.

News Comments > World of Warcraft Warlords of Draenor Announced
32. Re: World of Warcraft Warlords of Draenor Announced Nov 9, 2013, 00:31 Frijoles

Trevellian wrote on Nov 8, 2013, 17:28:
Last I read about the Pandaria storyline and this new assault on Orgimmar patch they had, Cairn was dead, Thrall was dead, Arthas/Lich King has been dead, Illidan has been dead.

Thrall isn't dead. I kind of wish he were. I'm a bit sick of seeing him pop up everywhere. In fact, didn't they say he's the one who chases Garrosh in to the new time-travelled Draenor? Metzen was rattling off a bunch of names from Warcraft 1/2 that we'll meet. Maybe that's to inject some new names in to the game.

The storyline looks weak, and the time travel sounds lame, but the systems they're putting in look pretty fun. The changes to inventory are long overdo. The "player housing" looks really well done. I'm looking forward to the expansion for those changes. Plus the free 90 boost will be handy. I have a few alts that aren't 90 yet.

News Comments > Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion: Stellar Phenomena DLC
4. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion: Stellar Phenomena DLC Nov 8, 2013, 09:38 Frijoles

Ozmodan wrote on Nov 8, 2013, 08:50:
Gave up on this game, by the time I spend my resources fighting off the pirates the opponents come in and mop up.

I hated the pirates. I ended up turning them off and enjoyed the game a lot more after that. Sins is one of my most played games according to Steam, but I doubt I'd get this DLC unless I return to the game again (too many other games to play).

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
14. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Nov 6, 2013, 18:55 Frijoles

Frags4Fun wrote on Nov 6, 2013, 16:26:
This happened back when the island update (I forget the name, 5.3 maybe) came out back in March. Maybe they changed it back since then.Either way, I vowed to never give them another dime. I was quite pissed as were most of the other multiboxers. Oh well, life goes on.

Must have changed it. A multiboxer joined our 5.4 LFR group the other day. Was pretty funny, actually. His "main" was the main tank, and one of his boxes was the alt tank. He didn't realize he had queued it as a tank. Ended up bitching about the other tank sucking.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Battle Worlds: Kronos
3. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Battle Worlds: Kronos Nov 5, 2013, 22:16 Frijoles

I'm a bit annoyed with the controls. They took some getting used to. A little rough around the edges, but overall not a bad game. I've only played for maybe 1.5 hours though.  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
5. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 5, 2013, 12:12 Frijoles

RollinThundr wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 11:25:
I've said it before, EA could find a sure fire cure for Aids and Cancer and the people here would still find a reason to hate them for it. Pathetic, hateful little bitches.

I'm sure it'd come with strings attached.

News Comments > Oculus Rift 2014 Release Plans
14. Re: Oculus Rift 2014 Release Plans Nov 2, 2013, 15:44 Frijoles

HoSpanky wrote on Nov 2, 2013, 11:42:
Games that aren't "ready" for Oculus should run in 3d, without head-tracking. Increases their usable games list to several hundred.

I got my Rift back in June and have used it quite a bit. Your suggestion would be a one-way ticket to puke-ville (at least for me). Any time the a game locks the viewpoint and doesn't let me look around, but still moves on its own, I get extremely sick. A lot of cut scenes do this. Doom 3 is a good example. I typically just close my eyes for those parts. Not really a big deal for backwards compatibility, though, since if it's a DX game, it's most likely already working more-or-less with the various 3rd party drivers.

Beckett wrote:
I see this as a potential problem for any FPS games that haven't been programmed to let you aim your head and gun independently. From what I've read, the Oculus-compatible version of Half-Life 2 (that has been getting rave reviews) was modified by Valve to allow independent aiming.

TF2 and Half-Life 2 do have toggles to change how it works. TF2 has like 8 or so different ways to use the display and aiming. I personally prefer to aim with my head and use the mouse/keyboard to walk around. I've tried to aim with the mouse and use my head independently, but I just can't aim that way. I haven't been able to get used to it. With older games, that's actually how a lot of them work. Doom 3 (I really enjoy Doom 3 in the Rift) works with head-aiming, and it's a blast. You basically whip your head around a bunch and fire off the shotgun. It feels like you've got eyes of death or something and anything you look at dies. Downside is sometimes shit is right below you and you can't quite look down enough to shoot it.

DangerDog wrote:
After playing with it for a short time how long does it take for your eyes to re-adjust after taking it off?

Depends on how long I'm in it. If I spend over an hour and start getting motion sick, it will take about 30 minutes to recover. If I'm only in it for a short time (say 30 minutes), and there's no headache, then it's only a few minutes. There is a recovery time for me, though, almost always. My eyes just feel weird after using it. I also burp a lot after I remove it. I haven't figured out why.

DangerDog wrote:
I wonder if they can/have solved the z-axis tracking, I want to be able to lean in to see details of instruments in cockpits for example.

They're adding positional tracking to the consumer version. And if not, people have been hacking the Hydra and other devices to work with it. There's a "game" called Hydra Cover Shooter that uses the Hydra to let you duck behind boxes. I found myself leaning in to my computer desk and thumping my head as I crawled on the ground to escape enemies. One of the most immersive demos I've seen, but difficult to use due to all the wires (1 for Rift, 1 for headset, 2 for Hydra).

IMO, resolution really is the biggest issue with it. Screendoor just sort of vanishes after a while. Aiming and latency aren't an issue. Even positional tracking, while it'd be damn awesome, isn't a show stopper. For me it's 100% the resolution that is the problem. With the consumer version looking more and more like it'll be over 1080p, I'm going to be one of the first in line to buy it. And when they can get 4k+, the virtual OS that people are building will start to make sense. Hopefully it takes off. I'd love to program with the thing on. Can't read text at the moment though.

Also, I don't really feel any fear when I play games such as Amnesia. However, I loaded up Slender (has official support). First time I've ever found myself babbling while playing a game as the tension increased. If the Rift takes off, then I see horror games being absolutely amazing. And adventure games will also make a comeback, IMO.

News Comments > Valve: Steam Offline Mode "Designed to be Indefinite"
9. Re: Valve: Steam Offline Mode Nov 1, 2013, 20:38 Frijoles

jimnms wrote on Nov 1, 2013, 20:00:
I had to set a firewall rule to block Steam so she wouldn't accidentally click to go online and knock me off.

Wonder if the Family Sharing thing will fix this completely for you, since you could both be online.. I think. I haven't gotten in to the beta yet.

News Comments > CD Projekt RED Reaffirms Anti-DRM Stance for The Witcher 3
29. Re: CD Projekt RED Reaffirms Anti-DRM Stance for The Witcher 3 Oct 31, 2013, 09:42 Frijoles

Pigeon wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 08:51:
I hope the 3rd is more like the 1st one than the 2nd. The 2nd one got hit by a heavy dose of consolfication; more QTEs, combat wasn't as good, and the crafting and inventory system weren't so good.

I prefer #2. I think that's because of the objective/quest flow, though. I've tried to play Witcher 1 a few times, but I always quit in the same place. And my friends all stopped in the same place as well. Right when you leave the town and get to that island with the green druid chicks on it. It seems like the questing fell apart right there.

News Comments > 100 More Steam Greenlights
4. Re: 100 More Steam Greenlights Oct 29, 2013, 18:02 Frijoles

Starting to agree. I liked all the new games at first, but Steam is becoming a bit of a minefield. I've voted on about 150 or so games in the Greenlight section. There's so.. much.. shit. Makes me think I should throw some garbage out and see if I can make a quick buck.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
34. Re: Good bye dvd format Oct 28, 2013, 17:24 Frijoles

BitWraith wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 15:34:
The only hang-up with steam is the time it takes to download. Valve should (and I think they are working on) offer a streaming service.

Doesn't Steam already do a partial-download-and-play method? It's not streaming, but I recall HL2 letting me play it before it was finished downloading. The experience was pretty horrible, but perhaps they could improve it (like how WoW does it).

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
7. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 25, 2013, 23:03 Frijoles

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 25, 2013, 21:20:
Auditory Clues on objects that don't make noise? When's the last time a gun made noise without being fired?

I believe he's referring to the pickup noise, not the firing noise. I don't actually recall a different noise in Quake 3. Just that chk-CHK sound on pickup. I should load up Quake Live and check.

News Comments > Anachronox on Steam
9. Re: Anachronox on Steam Oct 18, 2013, 11:28 Frijoles

How has this game aged? I haven't ever played it, but the screenshots don't look too bad for a 2001 game. Has it aged similarly to Deus Ex 1?

News Comments > Spacebase DF-9 Early Access
5. Re: Spacebase DF-9 Early Access Oct 16, 2013, 16:49 Frijoles

avianflu wrote on Oct 16, 2013, 16:31:
why does everything look so dark in the screen grabs?

I also felt it was too dark in the game. Of course it's dark when the lights are out (ie, the room isn't done or some emergency is going on), but even after that it still feels a bit dark. It also took some effort/learning to get the room building to line up the way I like. This would be solved by being able to rotate the map.

News Comments > Spacebase DF-9 Early Access
1. Re: Spacebase DF-9 Early Access Oct 16, 2013, 11:00 Frijoles

Out of all the DF clones I've played, this one probably has the best interface. Might be because it's only a single level in height (as far as I've seen). Like most Early Access games, it's buggy as hell. Looks like it'll be fun though if you're in to DF.  

News Comments > Warlock 2: The Exiled Announced
5. Re: Warlock 2: The Exiled Announced Oct 3, 2013, 11:09 Frijoles

I enjoyed the first one, but the spells were meh. I got a few I wanted, and then the rest I didn't even bother reading anymore. I just researched whichever one I happened to click.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
33. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 29, 2013, 22:54 Frijoles

I wrote Castle Story off a while ago. I figured it was dead. Since then I've heard, as has been said here, that they talk about updates on their website. That's fine, I suppose. But Kickstarter has a handy Updates button. Some games use it all the time and it's great. I've backed about 25 games on Kickstarter. I really don't want to go to each website to find out what the status is. The least they could do is copy/paste us a status from their website once a month. I was surprised to see Castle Story show up on Steam. I'm still hopeful they'll put something together that's a lot of fun.

Planetary Annihilation is.. interesting. It has a LOT of refinement to do, but the systems look good. The units are terribly small, and they all look the same so it's hard to figure out which one to click (tanks, planes weren't as bad). The planet feel is very interesting. I think this one will turn out well but it definitely needs a few more months to cook.

Godus I haven't looked in to recently. I should have another look. It was fun/addicting, but so damn much clicking. I hope they've cleaned that up and given the early game some beefing up, or at least have it planned.

If I were to buy one right now on early access, it'd probably be Godus.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
7. Re: Saturday Mobilization Sep 28, 2013, 23:31 Frijoles

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Sep 28, 2013, 20:45:
Password locks? No device tying? Not really difficult to figure out.

Many years ago, my parents used to lock us (their kids) out of HBO when I was young. My brother found the password or guessed it or something, and shared it with me. Many R rated movies were to be had. These days we would have emptied their bank account.

I don't trust apps anymore because of all the shit they want you to buy and how aggressive they are with it. They don't even let you buy the game anymore so you can ignore it. And if you forget just that one time and let your guard down, BAM.. $1500 in charges for some shitty pixels. My kids do not have my password to the store. They have app purchases turned off. And I've completely removed them from the network. But I sure as hell still worry about it.

News Comments > Dead Island: Riptide Sale, Free Weekend
4. Re: Dead Island: Riptide Sale, Free Weekend Sep 27, 2013, 12:37 Frijoles

Did they ever fix item durability so that it didn't run out so fast? I didn't play much, but I remember people bitching about that. It sounded like something I'd be annoyed with, so I didn't get in to it.  

2049 Comments. 103 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo