Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dennis

Real Name Dennis   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Grokk
Email grokk@thehouseofgrokk.com
ICQ 36449305
Description I play Games, manage unix servers and write programs.
Homepage http://www.thehouseofgrokk.com
Signed On Aug 13, 2000, 23:56
Total Comments 167 (Novice)
User ID 6672

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIII for PC Announced
15. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIII for PC Announced Sep 18, 2014, 21:43 Grokk

Frijoles wrote on Sep 18, 2014, 20:02:
Isn't this the shitty version where you basically just push "A" until the game ends? Pretty movie, lousy game. At least they're trying. I think. Guess we'll see how good of a port it is before I say that.

I'm pretty sure it is the shitty version you mention. I was excited for it after playing X,X2 and such. I missed the XII version and was immensely disappointed with the XIII release to the point that I gave up about 5 hours in. To me, there just wasn't any actual "game". It was a barely interactive movie, with a shit boring story line.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Uncensored L4D2 Released for AU
8. Re: Uncensored L4D2 Released for AU Sep 15, 2014, 21:01 Grokk

I'm pretty pleased with Valve for going through the classification system again to get the game uncensored.
I might even give it another bash to see how it looks, since previously all I could do was run the uncensor patch which locked you out of most multiplayer games.

In reply to some of the other questions, it comes down to being governed by conservative politicians that will pander to the majority with their moral views. The media throws some shit out there about how gaming is bad, the sheep pipe up and start bleeting, so the politicians all go "Woo, if I do this, then the sheep will follow!" and all of a sudden you're in a nanny state.

I understand the cycle pretty well, through growing up in a smallish country town it was impossible not to agree with everyone else. Wasn't until I moved away in my early twenties that i got to see the world in a different light.
Most people never get that and continue on following through with their lives based on the influence of the same people around them.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 9, 2014, 03:50 Grokk

CairnBassetHound wrote on Sep 9, 2014, 03:29:
Grokk wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 21:05:
I'd really have to question whether 10Mbps was enough to be classified as broadband. If you're watching anything streamed in HD then 4Mbps is going to bawk and shit itself constantly.
With the changes Youtube made to the way stuff streams a couple years ago it's just about impossible to even buffer half a video so you don't get lagged to crap trying to watch it.

I'm not sure what the US calls it, but ADSL1 here in Australia goes up to 8Mbps, while ADSL2 is up to ~20.
I'm just thankful I live in a part of Melbourne where I can get 100mb cable internet.

Your ISP just sucks, then. I lived on 4 Mbps for for years until a few months ago; Netflix, Amazon, Youtube, all that junk, worked perfectly.

I lived on dialup for years too, that doesn't mean that it was actually good.
Broadband is about getting the content you want, when you want it. Just getting by with slower speeds and having to wait for anything isn't what broadband is all about.
Throw in the fact that in a lot of cases household will only have 1 internet connection, to service the typical 2 adults and 2 children, at 4mbps, if anyone is doing anything on the internet other than social networking, then chances are the rest will be slowed down to shit.

Finally, for what it's worth, in AU you also have to deal with upwards of 250ms ping to a lot of content. It's getting better of late, but there's still a majority of content coming straight out of the US and that's a fair distance from here.
With that said, this is about the "standard" in the US so maybe they should leave it how it is.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 8, 2014, 21:05 Grokk

I'd really have to question whether 10Mbps was enough to be classified as broadband. If you're watching anything streamed in HD then 4Mbps is going to bawk and shit itself constantly.
With the changes Youtube made to the way stuff streams a couple years ago it's just about impossible to even buffer half a video so you don't get lagged to crap trying to watch it.

I'm not sure what the US calls it, but ADSL1 here in Australia goes up to 8Mbps, while ADSL2 is up to ~20.
I'm just thankful I live in a part of Melbourne where I can get 100mb cable internet.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 3, 2014, 20:40 Grokk

I just did a quick "bing" search for "four chan", which I assume the uninitiated would think. The top two links were from the 4chan site itself and then the Wikipedia page for 4chan.
There really is no excuse.

News Comments > The Carbon Footprint of Games Distribution
12. Re: The Carbon Footprint of Games Distribution Sep 3, 2014, 20:31 Grokk

I can't wait to see where they take this new information.

Next it will be that working from home isn't as 'green' as sitting in gridlocked traffic for an hour each way when working from an office!

Just imagine what "The Fappening" has done to the environment. I mean all that uploading/downloading over such a short period of time, I'd be shocked if that alone hasn't killed off 93 different species in the Amazon or something.

News Comments > Uncut Left 4 Dead 2 Cleared in AU
9. Re: Uncut Left 4 Dead 2 Cleared in AU Sep 2, 2014, 19:59 Grokk

The R18+ rating came in for games January 2013.

This game however, I've had for years and could never really play it. From memory the main changes were mostly around the "no gore" premise. With no blood, no spatter and sadly and the most annoying, no corpses. As soon as you killed something, it would fall onto the ground and just vanish. It wasn't even a nice vanish like soaking into the ground or something, it was just hit the floor and fade out within a second.

There are a few videos online, showing side by side comparison.
I was actually gifted the game as I wasn't going to buy it with the censorship in place, and because of that, I tried a few times to get into it, but for me, it was actually unplayable.

I don't know exactly what it is about FPS games, but the lack of exploding bodies and such just leaves me feeling like something is really missing. It completely takes away the immersion in the game, and for something like L4D2 it becomes pointless. There's no real satisfaction at all.

News Comments > RollerCoaster Tycoon World Announced
2. Re: RollerCoaster Tycoon World Announced Aug 13, 2014, 19:54 Grokk

15 years ago, the game was ahead of it's time.

I'm not sure they'll be able to even get close to the same wow factor as the originals.

I do like how they specifically mention no microtransactions though. I would have thought this game/genre would be ripe for the nickel and diming route. Perhaps they're going to do the Sims thing with a bazillion little upgrades instead.

News Comments > OVERKILL's The Walking Dead Game Announced
5. Re: OVERKILL's The Walking Dead Game Announced Aug 13, 2014, 19:48 Grokk

I can't seem to get enough zombies to be honest. Though I do still look for the better quality games to play.
I think (hope) Overkill might be able to bring something special.

When it comes to movies though, I'll watch them all. There are some really really bad movies out there.

News Comments > OlliOlli for PCs Next Week
3. Re: OlliOlli for PCs Next Week Jul 16, 2014, 02:22 Grokk

Cutter wrote on Jul 15, 2014, 21:17:
Boom-sick? Gnarly? Rad? Shred? Kick-flip? Is this some kind of joke?

I think their target demographic is 30 years ago. Perhaps Blue forgot to post this when it first came out in 1984?

News Comments > Dwarf Fortress Update This Week; How to Play in 3D
16. Re: Dwarf Fortress Update This Week; How to Play in 3D Jul 7, 2014, 20:15 Grokk

For beginners, trying to get into the game without someone showing you the ropes is tedious at best and for some, downright impossible. You can be forgiven for giving up before it all falls in to place in that regard.

On the other hand, when all of a sudden everything just "clicks", it becomes like watching the matrix. All the little ascii characters change from being random squiggles on the screen in some jumbled mess, into rooms and dwarfs and just some epic world that you find yourself in.

The more you play it, the easier it is to visualize the world and understand what the dwarfs are thinking/doing.

.... then someone dies, drained of all their blood.

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black Jun 24, 2014, 20:49 Grokk

harlock wrote on Jun 24, 2014, 20:00:
cant these useless fuckers come up with one goddamn original idea anymore?

Indeed. Sure, Predator was a brilliant movie in it's day, but all of these "reboots" and shit completely change everything about the movie.

Total Recall the original was great, the newer version.... well whatever. Sure there was no Arnie, but they could have at least got their arse to Mars!

News Comments > EVE Online Kronos Launches
1. Re: EVE Online Kronos Launches Jun 4, 2014, 07:08 Grokk

Just started playing again a few days ago. The game is looking pretty nice nowadays. Price of ships has increased quite a lot since I last played though.  

News Comments > Legend of Grimrock 2 in Alpha
5. Re: Legend of Grimrock 2 in Alpha Jun 3, 2014, 00:54 Grokk

His description of Alpha more closely describes what a proper Beta is.

Like he said, he can call it whatever he wants, but if the game is completely playable from start to end with all features implemented then it's a lot further along than most beta's nowadays achieve.

I never did finish the first game though...

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
10. Re: Evening Consolidation May 13, 2014, 23:08 Grokk

Fantaz wrote on May 13, 2014, 22:20:
Simon Says wrote on May 13, 2014, 19:57:
"Watch Dogs runs at 900p on PS4, 792p on Xbox One
Ubisoft confirms 30 frames per second on both systems"

So much for "next-gen".

Those pieces of crap are so underpowered its not even funny. -_-

1440p on my computer

I had previously been unable to decide if I wanted the PS4 or PC version. I was actually leaning toward the PS4, but now this has certainly made the PC the only choice.

I still chuckle that it's a higher resolution on the PS4 than the Xbone. MS really dropped the ball on this generation of consoles.

News Comments > Hearthstone Balance Change Plans
13. Re: Hearthstone Balance Change Plans May 9, 2014, 02:55 Grokk

Disclaimer: I know nothing about this other than it's a card game and I don't play these types of card games.

Seriously though, am I the only one that is fed up with everything about Blizzard being about balance?
Every single patch for every single game they release needs to have some "balance" done to it. I swear, they can't have any outside testers at all testing this stuff prior to some kind of release. let alone some testers that actually know what they're doing rather than an open beta where people just want to see/play the game and offer nothing in the way of useful feedback.

News Comments > New RollerCoaster Tycoon PC Game This Year
13. Re: New RollerCoaster Tycoon PC Game This Year May 7, 2014, 21:14 Grokk

I read it as "A shitty mobile to PC port with a premium price tag because we own the rights to the game, so you'll pay for it."

News Comments > Space Engineers Sells 500K
3. Re: Space Engineers Sells 500K May 6, 2014, 20:27 Grokk

I've been interested in getting this for a while now.
Problem is that I'm so entrenched in minecraft at the moment, I don't have time for anything else.

News Comments > Soldak's Next Game
3. Re: Soldak's Next Game Apr 30, 2014, 20:29 Grokk

jacobvandy wrote on Apr 30, 2014, 19:36:
You know, I've been a pretty big fan of zombie games... But even I have to admit that it's getting to be a bit ridiculous.

Indeed. This announcement was the first time I've thought to myself "I'm actually over this zombie thing".

News Comments > Full Watch Dogs System Specs
28. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 6, 2014, 23:18 Grokk

I want to play this game, but I'm torn between getting it for the PC, or the PS4.
I never really liked GTA4 on the PC, and V worked fine for me on the console, but I'm primarily a PC gamer.

FPS games are a no brainer for playing on the PC, but the 3rd person stuff seems to work just as well on a console, provided that it has some sort of auto-aim.
On the other hand, maybe KB+M will work. *shrug*

167 Comments. 9 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo