Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dennis

Real Name Dennis   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Grokk
Email grokk@thehouseofgrokk.com
ICQ 36449305
Description I play Games, manage unix servers and write programs.
Homepage http://www.thehouseofgrokk.com
Signed On Aug 13, 2000, 23:56
Total Comments 227 (Novice)
User ID 6672

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin 2 Kickstarter
35. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Kickstarter Aug 27, 2015, 01:16 Grokk

I've thrown my two cents into the kickstarter. Well $50 actually, since they just sold out of the $25 tier.
Figure I'll get two instead. That should make the missus happy. Since, of the two of us, she was the only one to finish the first game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > D&D GOLD Box RPGs on GOG.com
8. Re: D&D GOLD Box RPGs on GOG.com Aug 20, 2015, 20:27 Grokk

I love that these have been reworked and released again. That said, I'm not going to purchase them.
I do have a lot of fond memories from playing these games, and I'd like to keep it that way. The amount of time that needs to be dedicated to some of these games is insane, and not something I can really do anymore. Hell, 52% of the games on my steam account I've never played.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
7. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 17, 2015, 02:49 Grokk

Wallshadows wrote on Aug 16, 2015, 22:15:
So ARK is the new 7 Days to Die?

I've quite enjoyed 7days while it's been in development, but at this point, the months between releases with minimal extra actual gameplay is really disappointing though.

On the other hand, ARK and the once or twice a week updates is really pushing the game in a great direction.

As for the game itself, It won't hold the interest if myself and the missus for too long compared to minecraft, but at 115 hours in it myself it's been a blast so far and I can't wait for the new additions to the game.
Survival of the Fittest is brilliant to watch on twitch. Though, it seems I've become more of a game watcher than a player of recent years.

The biggest factor for keeping ARK alive in the future will be the mods and the community pushing the envelope. If some halfway decent guys and gals start working on some of the bigger things that worked in minecraft, I could see the game going brilliantly into the future.

News Comments > Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month
10. Re: Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month Jul 20, 2015, 10:50 Grokk

Cutter wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 09:54:
Oh man, I was so wrong. This space game looks amazing! Oh wait...

This is pretty much my thoughts on it too.
It's great that it's going to be in the game, but at this point now, it's going to *be* the game.

The FPS stretch goal was hit a full 12 months after the crowd funding campaign started.

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Sorcerer King
3. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Sorcerer King Jul 16, 2015, 22:19 Grokk

I don't like how much they seem to have taken from the Dark Sun D&D setting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Sun

The whole sorcerer king thing, using all the worlds magic and destroying the land in doing so.

Maybe I've missed something, I don't know.

Mostly I just want someone to do a real Dark Sun game in some form.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
17. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 16, 2015, 02:29 Grokk

Mostly I only use reddit for the /r/eve sub, and it really only exists because the official forums got rid of the corporation and alliance discussion subs, and the other websites that hosted the majority of that content shutdown for one reason or another.

If you're in to Eve at any level above casual, then you'll be vising reddit a bit.

As for the rest of the site, I'm sure most of it functions in much the same way. It's just a list of communities that are most of the time open to the public for anyone to enjoy.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
10. Re: Evening Interviews Jun 26, 2015, 02:33 Grokk

bigspender wrote on Jun 26, 2015, 01:23:
I personally would love to roam the wastelands with another person or 3 to share the experiences with.

Most of the loot would find a use if you can trade with your friends too.

And combat is always more tactical when different play styles are involved.

I bet for 1/2 the game you will have a character or two following you around, it might as well be a human controlled one.

I have to agree with all of this.
With the humble sale on at the moment, I got borderlands 1&2 and I've been playing that with the wife. It's good to be able to play games in coop and fallout would work well in that format.

As for fallout4, I'm still on the bench with it. It's going to take some seriously good videos for me to get over their graphic quality choices at the moment.

News Comments > Overwatch Trailer
4. Re: Overwatch Trailer Jun 17, 2015, 22:25 Grokk

This is the first video I've seen about this game, and I have to say that I'm completely underwhelmed. The graphics style says "lowest common denominator" and the gameplay doesn't really bring anything new and exciting the to table.

For a company as cashed up as these guys are, I expect a lot more than this. It's like they don't have any decent artsy/graphicsy people at all, or that there's this one person overseeing everything and he only likes a particular style.

Lastly, FPS with a controller is cancer. Even when it's only a video.

News Comments > Fallout Countdown
33. Re: Fallout Countdown Jun 2, 2015, 23:18 Grokk

I'd love for this to be out for the xmas season this year. Should fit in nicely with the other games and things I need to play first.

More likely though, we're looking at a perhaps xmas 2016 at the earliest. That would give them 18months to release. More likely Q1-2 2017 at best.

News Comments > The Bard's Tale IV 1st Day Kickstarter Incentive
1. Re: The Bard's Tale IV 1st Day Kickstarter Incentive Jun 1, 2015, 20:28 Grokk

It's a nice incentive, but I already have those games. At the moment, I'm more interested in seeing how they're going to build a game for todays market that somehow replicates or meshes with the old style of bards tale games.

The biggest problem to overcome that I can think of initially, is that the bards tale games all had random encounters which popped up unexpectedly. Getting caught halfway through a dungeon and needing to get out to heal etc.. while being accosted at every corner during your escape.

News Comments > NVIDIA Launches GTX 980ti; New Drivers; & GSYNC Features
15. Re: NVIDIA Launches GTX 980ti; New Drivers; & GSYNC Features Jun 1, 2015, 11:17 Grokk

Well Shit!

I just dropped $750 AUD on an overclocked GTX980 about 10 days ago.
I new something like this would happen. Any 6gb model would have been better, but I couldn't quite justify the price on a Titan X and settled for 4gb instead.

Fuck me and my first world problems right.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Patched
41. Re: The Witcher 3 Patched May 21, 2015, 22:49 Grokk

Frijoles wrote on May 21, 2015, 21:21:
ForgedReality wrote on May 21, 2015, 11:56:
Waiting on the "Fixed bug where we forgot to include strafing" update.

*Include strafing and the rest of the movement keys. Maybe unlock the others too. In fact, trash the whole keybinding code and start over. Maybe use fire on it so it never happens again.

Is lack of strafing really the only issue you can find with the game?

It has built in functionality to slide/flip/jump/dodge/tumble/flee in any direction already. It's not an FPS! The "lack" of strafe is a problem with the user, not the game.

Just because the control format doesn't match another game you play, doesn't mean that they are wrong.

News Comments > The Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter Next Month
10. Re: G4 Makeover Coming? May 19, 2015, 03:44 Grokk

Assuming this is done in the same format as I,II,III then I'll be happy.
I'm not sure there is much left of Skara Brae anymore though.
Hopefully it still incorporates the geomancers, and alternate world travel etc...

Also, the secret word is "blue". Took myself and a mate weeks to figure that one out.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs May 19, 2015, 03:25 Grokk

Cutter wrote on May 18, 2015, 21:16:
Mmm, yes. He seemed so nice and responsible in trying to have some people murdered, didn't he?

Well the whole assassination thing was separate to the silk road drug market, so the lawyer is "technically" correct.

I'm not sure that I would agree it was the most responsible ever though. But compared to some of the other ways drug markets are run, it's done a relatively decent job of itself.

What the government needs to do now is capitalise the drug market.
Legalise it, and then unionise it.
By the end, it would be so tied up in red tape, that nobody would get drugs and the war on drugs would be over!

News Comments > Into the Black
8. Re: Into the Black May 15, 2015, 03:57 Grokk

I have even less interest in watching this than I do 50 shades.

That trailer was just horrific.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse May 15, 2015, 03:53 Grokk

I was always under the assumption that contract workers were paid more per hour than fulltime workers? Is that not a thing in the US?  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation May 7, 2015, 20:31 Grokk

jdreyer wrote on May 7, 2015, 19:39:
PS4 and Xbox are 'absurdly powerful,'

I guess that makes my PC insanely, fantastically megauber-powerful?
Compared to the PS3 and XB360, what he says is true.

1080p-60fps is 'just a starting point.'

So, we'll see 4K at 60 FPS out of these consoles?

Absolutely!!

I'm sure there are a couple of side scroller games right now that can push upwards of 40+ frames at 4K, so only a few months before they'll hit the big six-oh. Just needs a bit of refinement to get over that giant hurdle.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 5, 2015, 22:40 Grokk

jdreyer wrote on May 5, 2015, 17:20:
LittleMe wrote on May 5, 2015, 12:40:
Good article. The feds do want their kill switch powers. They'll use it against the populace in various duplicitous ways. Any sort of unrest could be dealt with rubber bullets, inet blackouts and civil lockdown. Your rights to protest and publicly gather are diminishing every year.

edit: Any unrest can and likely will be treated with the utmost hostility by the authorities. Killswitch powers are another tool in their arsenal.

It's interesting that you tie kill switches in with rubber bullets. Tasers are very much along these same lines: a tool supposedly as a less lethal alternative to guns has been turned into a device that is often used by police for torture, punishment, and control. They are often used against suspects who are already immobilized, they are used incorrectly against suspects in situations where being immobilized can and has lead to their death, they are used multiple times when one will suffice, etc.

Given the option of being tased to the point of pissing myself or worse, or copping a few rubber bullets and a spray in the face with a pepper compound. I'm going to go with losing some internet access as the best option.

That said, I do think the "kill switch" is grossly overstepping the bounds on so many degrees.
Especially when you consider a scenario where a child is trying to contact their parents to get picked up from school or something, and no messages are getting through. ...child never makes it home. Extremely serious consequence for something that will be abused.

Internet access is a human right according to the UN, but I'm not seeing them do anything (as if they ever did) to work through these issues.

News Comments > Steam Game Bans
58. Re: Steam Game Bans Apr 30, 2015, 20:13 Grokk

Cutter wrote on Apr 30, 2015, 13:54:
I don't cheat in games so not a problem for me.

Yeah, that's pretty much my take on it all too.

At least people won't be getting a complete steam ban for cheating and losing access to an entire library of games.

Really though, this is just valve stepping back a bit more, becoming more of just a distributor and allowing the developers more control over their own games.
It never made sense that the ban came from Valve/Steam when the infraction was with a particular game out of a library of thousands.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
2. Re: Morning Interviews Apr 28, 2015, 11:55 Grokk

Creston wrote on Apr 28, 2015, 11:19:
No loading times would be rather bizarre. I think perhaps he means no loading screens?

Indeed. Except for the loading screen to load the game, and then the other one to load your save.

227 Comments. 12 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo