Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dennis

Real Name Dennis   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Grokk
Email grokk@thehouseofgrokk.com
ICQ 36449305
Description I play Games, manage unix servers and write programs.
Homepage http://www.thehouseofgrokk.com
Signed On Aug 13, 2000, 23:56
Total Comments 148 (Novice)
User ID 6672

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

News Comments > Full Watch Dogs System Specs
28. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 6, 2014, 23:18 Grokk

I want to play this game, but I'm torn between getting it for the PC, or the PS4.
I never really liked GTA4 on the PC, and V worked fine for me on the console, but I'm primarily a PC gamer.

FPS games are a no brainer for playing on the PC, but the 3rd person stuff seems to work just as well on a console, provided that it has some sort of auto-aim.
On the other hand, maybe KB+M will work. *shrug*

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Goat Simulator This Summer
5. Re: Goat Simulator This Summer Mar 4, 2014, 19:03 Grokk

I'm not sure if I'll buy the game, but I'll be sure to watch a lot of the youtube videos that people will be posting.

As stupid/fun as the game might be, I'm more interested in seeing just how much cash they can make from it.
It's like instant stardom with 15 minutes of fame and what that equates to in $$ in todays internet connected world of weirdos and freaks.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
14. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 23, 2014, 20:45 Grokk

Frijoles wrote on Feb 23, 2014, 16:29:
Banished is a harsh, harsh mistress. We survived the famines. We survived the cold winters with little firewood and ragged clothes. Things were going well until... Old Age. Guess I should have built more houses.

That's pretty much how my 4th game went. I thought I was hammering along given my previous attempts, then all of a sudden they started dropping like flies.

My next attempt, with new found knowledge had me building more houses and such, then as luck would have it, one caught fire.
The fire spread to the adjoining 5 houses over the next couple of minutes and eventually left me with 2/3rd of the population out in the cold for the winter.

I didn't play it over the weekend, in favour of a new minecraft world.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Banished
19. Re: Ships Ahoy - Banished Feb 19, 2014, 18:56 Grokk

I picked up 2 copies for myself and the missus. I like buying through the humble store as I can use bitcoins, which I'm having trouble getting rid of.

The game itself is pretty decent, though there are a couple of weird bits. Like planting a crop although you don't have any seeds initially, but you can still plant 1-2 things. Same with orchards.
Right off the bat the food consumption seems pretty high, I figured you need to get fishing and hunting up and going straight away with at least 2 people working each.

Graphics wise it's a little low on detail/polys but I think once you get a metropolis built the slightly lower quality will be a bonus with keeping fps up.

From what I've played so far, I'd give it a 7/10 and well worth my $20.

News Comments > FTL: Advanced Edition Plans
2. Re: Into the Black Feb 18, 2014, 21:05 Grokk

They should have scrapped the idea of a free expansion and just done a version 2.  

News Comments > Valve on VAC and Trust
2. Re: Valve on VAC and Trust Feb 18, 2014, 18:05 Grokk

Comments are back? Woo!

I've seen a lot of complaints about people getting banned recently, especially within the RUST forums on steam.
So I found this article to be quite interesting.

News Comments > Goat Simulator Now a Real Thing
2. Re: Goat Simulator Now a Real Thing Feb 11, 2014, 19:20 Grokk

Sadly I know I'd get a good couple of hours of hilarious enjoyment from this.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
61. Re: DOOM! Dec 10, 2013, 20:53 Grokk

Though it's not something most people want to spend the money for, it's worth noting that larger (17" or greater) monitors will provide a deathmatch advantage. When using a larger monitor everything on the screen appears larger (duh), which improves your aim, situational awareness, etc.

I remember playing Q1 @15" on the lan with a bunch of mates and one of them was from a filthy rich family so he had a PC powerful enough to run glQuake and a 19" monitor. Man did that look sweet.

DOOM(2) and Duke3D though were pretty much everything at the time though. Nothing compared to the speed and adrenaline of those games when playing deathmatch with your mates in the same room.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 14, 2013, 17:47 Grokk

Offensive underboob.

Is that an oxymoron, or just a term used by a moron.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - SimCity Cities of Tomorrow
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - SimCity Cities of Tomorrow Nov 12, 2013, 21:26 Grokk

This really doesn't sound that exciting at all to be honest.

On top of the issues surrounding the game in the first place, there's not a chance I'd touch this.

News Comments > Australian Ratings Reconsidered for 12 Games
8. Re: Australian Ratings Reconsidered for 12 Games Nov 7, 2013, 17:35 Grokk

Adelaide, the capital of South Australia, is known as the "city of churches".

I guess John Rau doesn't realise that this horse has already bolted.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Ghosts Matchmaking Workaround
50. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Matchmaking Workaround Nov 6, 2013, 18:31 Grokk

As far as AI goes, my favourite would have to be the gladiator bot from quake2.
I lived in a small town, with no option to play online at less than a 500ms ping at the best of times, so I spent my time playing against bots.
The thing with the gladiator bot however was in the way you could configure them individually to have the characteristics of real people.
With 5 of us in the house, I made a more or less perfect replica of each person. We'd even have competitions on the 1v1 maps against our own AI self.

My young cousin was a little dismayed when I explained the config options and how I'd set his likely hood of being called by "mom" to a really high rate, or the chance of him stopping to eat pizza.
However in practise, they functioned alike and provided more or less the same gaming experience for us.

Honestly they were still pretty bad as far as AI goes. There was always a way to outsmart them, and after a while it became impossible to increase their skill to compensate against that.

But still, they made up some of my fondest memories of playing any kind of deathmatch FPS gaming.

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns for Linux Released
3. Re: Shadowrun Returns for Linux Released Oct 31, 2013, 11:53 Grokk

Nice, I've just been playing this. Really enjoying it so far.  

News Comments > Cyan Kickstarting Obduction
15. Re: Cyan Kickstarting Obduction Oct 17, 2013, 20:24 Grokk

I never managed to find that actual "game" part of them. To me, all I ever seen was a picture gallery scrolling through images. Sure they looked nice, but I can only spend so long looking at a screensaver.

$1.1mil for a screensaver built using the unreal engine? No thanks.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
6. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 16, 2013, 00:24 Grokk

Imagine actually being paid for that crunch time though!!
You could theoretically earn more in the 3 month crunch period than you would over the previous two years of 9-5ing.

....if only.

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Oct 16, 2013, 00:09 Grokk

I played the bards tale on xbox years ago. Was pretty decent and the humour is definitely there.
I already have it on android and it plays relatively well, but personally I have issue with any kind of gaming on a phone.
I do love the humble bundles though and often find myself picking up the weekly ones.

News Comments > How to Survive Trailer
1. Re: How to Survive Trailer Oct 15, 2013, 23:39 Grokk

This actually looks pretty interesting.
30% off puts it right into my throwaway game price range too.

News Comments > Diablo III Auction House Downtime Continues
5. Re: Diablo III Auction House Downtime Continues May 10, 2013, 04:02 Grokk

Sounds like they don't actually have a solid point to rollback too. Not that they would say that however.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
13. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 28, 2013, 03:25 Grokk

Cutter wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 00:19:
Flatline wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 23:08:
Cutter wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 21:34:
I want a Porsche. I don't need one, but I want one. I coul buy one but I really don't want to take out a mortgage to get one. Same with gigabit. Hell, I'd just like to see most DSL come down to more reasonable prices as it is. Try swinging that TWC!

Shitty analogy, because eventually to do much on the intertubes you *will* need higher and higher performance broadband. If that wasn't the case you'd still be on dialup.

Really? We'll NEED gigabit before long will we?
LOL!

Actually yes, it's pretty much required now. At a minimum most home users need 100mbit.
The reason being that a lot of technology is going in to putting things "in the cloud", and once you start placing entire applications and half your OS in the cloud you're going to need speeds comparable to you hard disk.
Once everything becomes cloud based and the desktop a thing of the past, then internet speed will be the new video card upgrade.

Whether or not that's how things will turn out, I really couldn't say, but I do know a lot of companies are spending some big bucks trying to do away with the desktop. One of their critical road blocks is internet speed.

"If you build it, they will come." might not stand for everything, but I know that if people have faster internet that it will get used, just the same as faster PC's are being utilised now.

News Comments > Steam for Linux Leaves Beta
22. Re: Steam for Linux Leaves Beta Feb 14, 2013, 19:02 Grokk

crypto wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 18:40:
SirKnight wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 15:58:
The NVIDIA linux driver is closed and not free ...

Drivers are free.

He meant the other free.

The drivers might not actually cost anything, but you're still installing a compiled product with proprietary code in it.

Eg: You're able to use them without spending any money, but you cannot modify / reverse engineer or do other things to make it better or different.

148 Comments. 8 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo