Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Elvis

Real Name Elvis   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Elvis
Email dawurz@hotmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.soundclick.com/richardwurzer
Signed On Aug 12, 2000, 01:47
Total Comments 329 (Amateur)
User ID 6643

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

News Comments > Pacific Assault Demo Tomorrow
8. Re: Wha... Sep 3, 2004, 02:52 Elvis

Or was I thrown back to 1999 when that is considered to be a large download?

ack, i recall spending 3 days, on dialup, grabbing the then scandalous-sized Kingpin demo at 100 megabytes. i also remember looking at zoomed-in shots of the game showing the differences between 24 bit color and 16 bit color, at the reverend's i think.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Call of Cthulhu Delayed
10. Er, is this the DNF of horror games? Sep 3, 2004, 02:46 Elvis

Man this game has been quit a while in the making. Some of the stuff they're trying is ambitious (i.e. no HUD), so I understand the delays. Still a big question mark yet if the gameplay is worth anything.

News Comments > DICE Traumatized
23. Talk about a 'no brainer' Sep 1, 2004, 20:19 Elvis

Clearly Trauma is motivated, and they have talent to boot.

News Comments > Half-Life 2 = Fool's Gold
55. Re: Just a thought Aug 30, 2004, 00:59 Elvis

Tired of HL2 taunting me from the Steam window

I hear that. The HL2 gold spoof didn't help. Someone from Valve posted on the steam forums today that more updates to the HL2 pre-load cache are coming out over the coming weeks.

Still thinking September for the pre-loaders...

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Preloads Steam Ahead
64. Re: No subject Aug 27, 2004, 04:29 Elvis

Well, I knew September 1 was a no go after Valve waited this long.

Maybe true, though an early September release could be a real possibility.

63. The Steam release could be weeks prior Aug 27, 2004, 04:25 Elvis

to the retail release. So with a retail date of 11/1, I'd guess that puts Steam availability off to early October. Sounds right to me - my hunch tells me we wont be sitting on this preload stuff for two solid months. Just think HL2 is closer. My guess is somewhere around 4 weeks for Steam availability (or sooner even), retail 3-5 weeks after.

So glad now I avoided playing through the leak that I saw over the shoulder of a neighbor's cousin's now dead step-brother.

33. I struck out @ 7:04pm PST Aug 27, 2004, 00:55 Elvis

oh well. all the excitement over at the steampowered forums over a preload, chuckle. still, steam is a little bit of the future. its been a while since a top-tier game (not just content) has come to your PC by online means only. having a hard time thinking of a game that was delivered by online means alone. Q1 shareware???

News Comments > Steam Update
12. in reply to #11 Aug 22, 2004, 20:36 Elvis

I would also add that it is easier for server admins to host! After years of messing with custom cfgs and bat files to host servers both public and private, I'm digging the dedicated hosting options of Steam. And while I wish there was a little more access for tweaking :), I am not missing the ability to tweak a hundreds things just cause I can.

This comment was edited on Aug 22, 20:37.

News Comments > Game Guidance
1. Blue? "Conductivity"? Aug 22, 2004, 20:30 Elvis

Hey man its Sunday

News Comments > TRIBES: Vengeance Nears Gold
49. Re: No subject Aug 22, 2004, 19:44 Elvis

My mistake, it's the Rome: Total War demo that's hitting on monday. Don't give in to the Fileborg just yet.

Finally caught an episode of "Decisive Battles" this past week (the show that uses Rome: TW tech to re-create historical battles). The sheer number of people on screen is far out. Like the LOTR RTS game, I'll be checking this out just for the tech, and who knows, maybe I'll give an RTS game a shot!

6. Re: Wait a minute... Aug 22, 2004, 06:32 Elvis

So far I haven't had a single crash unless I did something I wasn't meant to and the frame rates are very playable and are getting better with each new release.

very cool. i heard the renderer is their own (like DNF! lol)...whatever the case, how's it look compared to UT2004? They seem so similar in some ways, does T:V cut its own visual look?

5. Re: No subject Aug 22, 2004, 06:30 Elvis

There are still many issues. disc launchers speed, third person only view in vehicles, the no disc mining ability etc etc.

man its sentiments like that which only reaffirm how tough it is to get a action online game "just right" or right enough to become more than a cult hit.

Lots of stuff, including everything you mentioned, can be addressed in patches (presuming the developers listen and the resources are there). Then again, it would suck if they were rushing this out, especially given the work that's been done.

News Comments > Steam Update
10. HL2 pre-load delayed Aug 20, 2004, 15:29 Elvis

until Monday to let the new CS:S patch make it out.

http://www.shacknews.com/ja.zz?id=8389992

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Steam Preloads
50. hmmmm Aug 19, 2004, 17:44 Elvis

"HL2 pre-loading" just doesn't have the same ring as "HL2 gone GOLD!".

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Steam Preloads
49. Re: No subject Aug 19, 2004, 17:21 Elvis

dynamic lighting? how much dynamic lighting can you have on a desert map under a cloudless sky at high noon?

lol! I agree. It reminds me of the DM maps from Quake 3 - they were quite plain compared to what the Q3 engine could really do ya? Watching the VST, the lighting seems very good to my eyes, specially 'round the flames around the transparent guy part.

(outdoor) night time maps - oh yeah!

Come to Graceland CS:S 24.24.216.59

News Comments > Counter-Strike Source Beta Update
12. Re: Nice Aug 19, 2004, 06:09 Elvis

Interested in the Source demo test

Yeah, I mostly downloaded the beta and the dedicated server just so I could host and check out the Source tech...only played CS maybe half-dozen times!

BTW, server works fine...just seems to take a bit before people join, or can join. had 15/20 on earlier.

edit: come to 24.24.216.59

This comment was edited on Aug 19, 07:38.

4. hosting, but Aug 19, 2004, 01:52 Elvis

no one can seem to get in. i was hosting other steam stuff (DMC mostly) just fine (and also Q3, UT2004).
i see "player blah-blah validated" but everyone eventually times out. I tried setting to LAN vs. internet as some have suggested that helps deal with the overload of players trying to connect, but for me that seemed to lock everyone out as you would expect.

anyways: 24.24.216.59

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. one place to go Aug 17, 2004, 22:10 Elvis

for benchmarks, including laptops, is here:

http://xmerlin.is-a-geek.com/benches/

still on page one as "dawurz"

8. man this was easy Aug 17, 2004, 08:59 Elvis

So I see that CS:S is pre-loading now for ATI/HL2 bundle people. CS is a game I tried maybe three times, then forgot about cause Q3, UT and Rocket Arena took over. The recent videos of the game look like a ton of fun.

I remember the unscratched HL2 key stuck to my 'fridge since November, when i chucked a Ti500 for a 9800XT @ CompUSA. Read the post about how to be careful removing the cover-up, actually try two different erasers, one sucks, one works fine. Fire up Steam, register the key, half-thinking it will have problems and more-than-likely not register me as a valid ATI/HL2 bundle person, but it does, and quickly. Then it begins the pre-load, which finishes in maybe 20-30 minutes. If only everything PC game related was this easy.

Kudos to Valve.

News Comments > New ATI Drivers
39. Re: Results: Aug 16, 2004, 20:41 Elvis

punisher and pr()zac thanks for the trip buff instructs.

329 Comments. 17 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo