Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Elvis

Real Name Elvis   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Elvis
Email dawurz@hotmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.soundclick.com/richardwurzer
Signed On Aug 12, 2000, 01:47
Total Comments 329 (Amateur)
User ID 6643

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

News Comments > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Maps Workshop Opens
3. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Maps Workshop Opens Feb 8, 2013, 04:16 Elvis

nin wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 23:12:
Fucking love Workshop - the more games that support it, the better

Agreed! In a recent interview somewhere, Gabe Newell spoke of having the ability for Workshop creators (some of whom he said are making $500k/year!!!) to customize their own storefront within Steam - how cool would that be?

Is anyone else even close to creating this kind of ecosystem, where the community takes over the content from the developer? Crazy awesome.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > New NVIDIA Reference Drivers
44. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 17:52 Elvis

Interesting that they came through on the non-beta channel for me.. I thought only WHQL drivers did that.

It seems you're not the only one as it appears that same thing happened with the HardOCP folks too.

News Comments > New NVIDIA Reference Drivers
38. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 17:31 Elvis

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 13:05:
These are full WHQL

Actually these are WHQL candidate drivers.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
24. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 17, 2012, 14:28 Elvis

Beamer wrote on Jan 17, 2012, 13:22:
I will hate the blackout, but that's the point.

Good choice.

Here Here.

Wednesday is going to suck.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Trailer
22. Re: Battlefield 3 Trailer Mar 16, 2011, 19:35 Elvis

tech/rendering rats can go here to read up on Frostbite 2's use of DX11, SPU-based deferred shading on the PS3, culling, lighting and a news transparency technique:

http://repi.blogspot.com/2011/03/dice-at-gdc11.html

8. Re: apple falls on head = mystery solved Jan 18, 2011, 19:14 Elvis

space captain wrote on Jan 18, 2011, 18:58:
turns out that "scientists" have more blind faith than the pope

Yes, the polio cure was actually an evil librul power grab.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2011, 12:15 Elvis

In this age of info everywhere all the time, Blue is late for a movie - that's refreshing in an appealing retro way.  

News Comments > No XP Battlefield 3?
91. Re: No XP Battlefield 3? Jan 3, 2011, 04:50 Elvis

Jerykk wrote on Jan 3, 2011, 03:51:
DX10 allows for effects that would be cripplingly slow on DX9.

Such as? Remember how Crysis had a bunch of effects "exclusive" to DX10 until somebody edited the cfg files and made the effects work in DX9? And at a higher framerate? I have yet to see any DX10 "exclusive" effects that I haven't seen in DX9 at equal or better performance. Soft shadows? DX9. Soft particles? DX9. SSAO? DX9. HDR? DX9. FSAA? DX9. I'm very curious as to what effects DX10 can handle so much better than DX9.

Extrusion and tessellation are two examples. Those effects were done in DX9 games on the CPU, but DX10 enables geometry shaders for that purpose. The idea being that a game should be able to get them "for free". It's about performance. Which, as you pointed out, isn't always consistent due to the talent/experience/innovation of the coders and the code they write. Likewise various other improvements in the pipeline and in the API. You are right that DX10/DX11 doesn't magically enable effects that weren't possible before - in fact, any effect is possible in ANY version of Directx, or without it (like ray tracing on the CPU or a pure software renderer) - but it makes those effects efficient enough that they actually get implemented, or easy enough that they are implemented beyond triple A games. With one of the results being that more CPU cores are free to do other stuff, like AI, physics, pathfinding, sound or whatever.

13. FYI: interactive Pearl Harbor timeline @ NatGeo Dec 7, 2010, 19:11 Elvis

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/pearlharbor/ax/frameset.html

careful, it seems to want to hijack your browser's window size; nonetheless, very well done hour-to-hour (and sometimes minute-to-minute) account of that day.

News Comments > World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Launch Stuff
47. Re: fyi - Performance guide at tomshardware Dec 7, 2010, 16:05 Elvis

Sepharo wrote on Dec 6, 2010, 19:52:
Elvis wrote on Dec 6, 2010, 19:46:
using url tag still gave 'url is too long' msg.

It's a known bug. Sometimes you can put a space between the first tag and its content and that'll work.

If it doesn't tinyurl

thanks, and noted.

News Comments > World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Launch Stuff
23. fyi - Performance guide at tomshardware Dec 6, 2010, 19:46 Elvis

using url tag still gave 'url is too long' msg.  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2010, 22:22 Elvis

Ray Ban wrote on Dec 1, 2010, 17:20:
http://www.sarifindustries.com/

I think Deus Ex: Human Revolution has a reasonable shot at being a good game

A recent issue of PC Gamer echoed this sentiment as the game possesses multiple solutions to gameplay situations - a hallmark of the original Deus Ex.

One gameplay example they wrote of (I think it was storming a prison/police station and breaking out a prisoner), offered what sounded like near sandbox gameplay. No easy feat.

News Comments > Crytek on PCs versus Consoles
33. Re: Crytek on PCs versus Consoles Nov 25, 2010, 19:31 Elvis

ASeven wrote on Nov 25, 2010, 17:21:
Makes me wonder why guys like Nocht are able to make in average about $150K per day in sales of Minecraft, a PC exclusive game, if the PC gaming market gives no profit.

This is the most solid proof that a good, cheap game will make the author rich and why indie gaming on PC is taking off. As the publishers keep producing shit port after shit port they leave a wide gap in the PC market, a gap that is being quite effectively exploited by the indies who are now starting to produce games that go above and beyond any AAA title made today.

PC gaming isn't dying, it's changing. With each day less and less people keep their faith in publishers to deliver that killer PC game and meanwhile people like Tripwire or Unknown Worlds are making games that will simply run over any AAA game in quality and fun. PC gaming is turning indie because they rather have that alternative than continue to buy crappy ports.

You make some good points here that I agree with, especially the point that PC gaming is - and its business model - are changing (and have been for a while). The main issue as I see it is that publishers have failed to embrace new ways of monetizing their efforts, along with their embrace of DRM which punishes consumers under the guise of fighting piracy.

TF2 and Minecraft are two games that embrace the "ship continuously" model - an embrace of the idea of a game as as service and the corresponding embrace of digital distribution - versus the typical declining sales curve that result from a game that never grows organically over time, but is released as a finite physical product that is put into a box that is put onto a truck that is put onto a shelf that is then released on the big launch day - those retail efforts and their corresponding marketing campaigns cut deeply into profits. Developers like Blizzard (with WOW) and Valve have moved away from that myopic 'big blockbuster weekend' approach to great success. WOW and TF2 are just simply games anymore, they are highly profitable franchises and brands.

The relentlessly controlled console certification process and the cost of console development kits are a barrier as well: that is why WOW or TF2 (as it exists for the PC) do not, could not, exist for any of today's consoles.

For me its akin to the cash cow the music industry had for decades in vinyl then plastic records with the artist ending up with barely a pittance. Unsurprisingly, companies are slow and deeply resistant to part with cash cow models.

8. Re: Clients From Hell Nov 19, 2010, 18:13 Elvis

Classic, and very funny. I especially like the 'I have to pay every time you do work?' LOL.

Reminded me of a couple Dilberts where he says something like "I'd like to kick off the project by assigning blame for its eventual failure."

and

"My job is to create an environment where employees feel safe taking risks. My other job is punishing employees who make any kind of mistake."

14. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2010, 22:11 Elvis

Here's a link to a video that addresses separation anxiety (there's a bunch more there as well that address it):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqSCkZxntsU

News Comments > Portal 2 Delayed Again
14. Re: Portal 2 Delayed Again Nov 18, 2010, 21:49 Elvis

Yosemite Sam wrote on Nov 18, 2010, 21:11:
Wish other DEVs would work on Valve time instead of 'has to be released on X date finished or not' corporate time.

Agreed. It seems to have become the norm in the industry for a game to be released prematurely simply to leverage sales; release quality be damned.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2010, 14:53 Elvis

Ratty is right: pictures needed!  

35. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2010, 22:52 Elvis

Blue, did you see this recent link at HP re dealing with acid reflux & gerd? Had some things I hadn't seen before.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/3-simple-steps-to-elimina_b_649609.html

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 26, 2010, 12:45 Elvis

I do not envy you for having seen that accident. Things like that are tough to un-see.  

News Comments > Into the Black
5. www.alexa.com Jul 1, 2006, 04:10 Elvis

Site traffic rankings of many, many sites.

here's the info for blues:
http://www.alexa.com/data/details/main?q=www.bluesnews.com&url=www.bluesnews.com

edit: holy shee-ite! wonder what blues looked like in 1996?
http://web.archive.org/web/19961226231646/http://bluesnews.com/
This comment was edited on Jul 1, 04:13.

329 Comments. 17 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo