Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Andrew 'Hobeaux' Penick

Real Name Andrew 'Hobeaux' Penick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Hobeaux
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 40572917
Description
Homepage http://www.unrealengine.com
Signed On Jul 24, 2000, 05:54
Total Comments 26 (Suspect)
User ID 6380

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
9. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 10, 2014, 20:25 Hobeaux

I had surgery because I had to deal with two sets of glasses and didn't want bifocals. Unfortunately the surgery didn't go as expected and I *got* astigmatisms and lost the ability to see up close. Up side: I can drive without corrective lenses. Down side: I can't look through my camera, nor see my sketches or what I'm writing unless it's a little too far than I'd like.

High-contrast items like type on a TV is rough. Thin type…oh dear, it's a mess. Strangely, low contrast items like pink chalk on a board is legible from a distance. *scratches head* I don't get that one.

oh, and bright light really sucks. It's like being a vampire without the turning to ash business.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
5. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 25, 2014, 11:36 Hobeaux

"PS4 fans are so happy that they can download games now."

No, it's that you can be out of the house, purchase a PS4 game with your phone and then the PS4 back home will wake up, download, and install it. This is similar to the iOS/iCloud feature on where one can make a purchase and have it installed on all devices automagically.

News Comments > "Several" Unannounced UE4 Games in Development; UT Not One of Them
20. Re: Mar 20, 2014, 21:17 Hobeaux

4D-Boxing wrote on Mar 20, 2014, 14:18:
Well said Beamer.. I was shocked when I read hobeaux statement. With all due respect dude's logic reminds me of the an apple vs android thread...

Anyways, like others said, just remake Ut99. Devs have not shown me that they are really ready for anything more complex...see bf4 threads.

My idealist side would be totally stoked to hear that UT99 was truly be revamped in new tech and would *love* to buy a copy. Seriously. Gimme.

Maybe it'd be so awesome that they'd sell a bajillion copies...

it's the cynical side of me that says that I can't go home again.

News Comments > "Several" Unannounced UE4 Games in Development; UT Not One of Them
3. Re: Mar 20, 2014, 11:01 Hobeaux

they've brought some of the levels back (deck 16, anyway) but with new physics, weapons, faster run speeds, the gameplay is just—different.

Truth is that if UT99 was brought into the modern age it would probably be antiquated, rejected by the vast majority of game players today who don't have that nostalgia that we old fogies have for it.

that said, Epic released Unreal Engine 4 to the public yesterday so if you *really* want to have UT99 recreated in modern tech you can do that yourself. If there's a market, Epic may be able to help you sell it to the masses. I might even buy a copy myself

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Hitchhiker’s Guide Mar 10, 2014, 10:38 Hobeaux

That was a rather involved puzzle. From what I remember it wasn't hard, but had a lot of steps that the player had to do to get the fish in their ear.

the last puzzle of the game had me stumped and frustrated for quite a while; it was a simple matter of opening a door but it one had to have the right way of stating it or it wouldn't work. semantics as a puzzle device. writers.

sigh.

if i remember rightly there was supposed to be a sequel…

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 20, 2013, 10:08 Hobeaux

actually, yes. I've read several articles over the years that the Mac hardware runs Windows better than many/most/all (depending on the year) PC hardware. There are a couple of options, such as VMWare or Parallels, so one could have Windows running in a VM inside the OS X—but Apple provides a solution called Boot Camp that allows a user to choose OS X or Windows at boot so you get the full native experience.

That said, it's not a guarantee that Windows will understand some of the hardware components, so YMMV.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
13. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 12, 2013, 22:04 Hobeaux

I went in to GameStop a while back looking for a PS4 and they just sold their last one, so I bought an Xbox One. It’s not what we wanted but it should be fine, right? right?!  

News Comments > Unreal Engine 4 Teaser
8. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Teaser Mar 25, 2013, 11:56 Hobeaux

let's see: full-screen DoF and Motion Blur, steady-cam style camera tracking, fog and lighting effects, dynamic hair system, water particle system, materials-based reflections, lots and lots of detail in the meshes, and something scary looming just around the corner. that's a lot in a couple of seconds.  

News Comments > Free Radical: Cancelled Battlefront III was "99% Finished"
16. Re: Free Radical: Cancelled Battlefront III was Dec 2, 2012, 15:24 Hobeaux

Just because it could have been their most successful release doesn't mean that it would be successful financially. The costs of marketing, servers, maintenance, content development (and more) needs to be assessed and addressed.

Even if it was projected to net profitable, the expected gain could be too low to justify the cost of getting there and keeping it.

Gross exaggeration: if you have yearly earnings of $4.2M but the operating cost is $4M then the actual profit is a mere $200K. The amount of effort to net that may not be very appealing.

also: one doesn't know the licensing costs of the franchise or any implications with the recent transfer of Star Wars to Disney. It may simply been a fringe operation that would be better to kill early than risk financial loss despite a positive forecast.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
6. Re: Evening Mobilization Jul 3, 2012, 23:13 Hobeaux

But I *am* reading this on a tablet—it's called an iPad. You may want to familiarize yourself with the present.  

News Comments > Epic Making PC Exclusive Game
81. get off my lawn! Apr 9, 2012, 10:34 Hobeaux

You guys are just so crotchety—first you complain that Epic doesn't care about PC gaming, and then when they actually state that they are working on a PC-only title you complain about that too.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Evening Mobilization Nov 29, 2011, 11:05 Hobeaux

Ozmodan wrote on Nov 29, 2011, 01:05:
A monopoly is a monopoly is a monopoly

From what I recall, here in the US monopolies aren't illegal. Some companies actually hope to become monopolies to some extent but where it becomes a problem is if the monopolist uses its power to prevent competition or creates a market whereby there can be no competition.

There are other major cellphone providers in the US market today: Verizon, MetroPCS, TMobile, Sprint; and smaller providers as well, such as U.S. Cellular, Cox, and Cricket. So AT&T isn't a monopoly yet.

The question, then, is if AT&T buys TMobile is it doing so in an anti-competitive manner. Will it effectively prevent another company from being able to compete regionally or nationally. Of course, i'm sure it's more complicated than that--but I really don't want to read further

News Comments > Psychonauts for OS X
2. Re: Psychonauts for OS X Sep 30, 2011, 00:11 Hobeaux

As soon as I saw this post I ran to the App Store and clicked the install button.  

News Comments > OS X League of Legends Ending Tonight
4. Re: OS X League of Legends Ending Tonight Sep 6, 2011, 22:35 Hobeaux

well, that sucks. I was looking forward to this one. I guess I'll just bide my time with Torchlight ’til the Diablos come out.  

News Comments > Wheel of Time Game Plans
5. Re: Wheel of Time Game Plans Nov 12, 2008, 15:36 Hobeaux

The Wheel of Time game was beautiful and moody-- and no, I never finished it either. Which is a long-running regret considering how much I enjoyed it. The one thing I didn't understand till after I stopped playing was that the game mechanic was based off the Wizards of the Coast card systems such as Magic the Gathering.

I hope the new games meet expectations. Now that Jordan has passed on perhaps more liberties can be taken.

Not sure when the last book will be finished--it's being completed by one of Robert Jordan's friends and we'll all just have to wait. One book left. Shame he died when he did. sigh.

News Comments > UT3 Community Bonus Pack 3- Volume 1
21. No subject Jun 26, 2008, 13:29 Hobeaux

It's not enough like World of Warcraft! I keep looking for the trainers so I can learn buffs... but I can't find them! How am I supposed to level up?

News Comments > GameTap Taps Macs
2. Re: what do macs Dec 12, 2007, 19:24 Hobeaux

well, with each new push by game developers the Mac become better for gaming. It's not that the system can't handle them, it's just that developers don't create for them.

I, for one, am glad that developers are making progress here.

(also, with Cider technology GameTap is able to port their games with minimal conversion. It just requires an Intel-based Mac.)

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
1. that's a mis-quote Jul 30, 2006, 18:32 Hobeaux

the woman was misquoted. The iPod is "designed to last for years" not "four years".

This article was debunked days ago

News Comments > More Unreal Licensing
10. Lineage II is fun again May 13, 2005, 15:55 Hobeaux

I had played the Lineage II beta and signed up for the retail version -- after the initial 3-months were up I gave up on it.

A few weeks ago I signed back up for Lineage II and am having lots of fun again. The number of people playing is noticeably fewer—newbie towns are more like ghost towns. Which is fine for me, fewer people == less lag, which makes for a more enjoyable online experience.

Now that Chronicle 3 is out (new UI, new quests, and so on) it's even more distracting. Heh.

Oh: As far as the Total Subscribers vs Total Active Subscribers is concerned, if you think that kind of fudging of numbers is unique to a single company you're mistaken. Every company, game or otherwise, plays those sorts of games.

News Comments > Myst IV Revelation Demo
16. URU 0wnz Aug 9, 2004, 20:09 Hobeaux

or it did—maybe the new expansions will bring me back to the glory of the game without the pain of loss for the online portion. *sigh*

26 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo