Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Fang

Real Name Fang   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Fang
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 19, 2000, 18:39
Total Comments 1079 (Pro)
User ID 6315

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 21, 2010, 04:08 Fang

Ah, got to love wishful thinking.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: How Do I Win Rock Paper Scissors Every Time. Jul 15, 2010, 15:30 Fang

I never understood why the RPS World Championships didn't just use the skilled based form of Rock-Paper-Scissors. If you guys don't know it, here are the rules from Wikipedia. The skill-based version is surprisingly addicting. I translated some of the words to English to make it easier to read.

From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muk-chi-ba
Muk-chi-ba is a variant of the two-player game rock-paper-scissors. It originated in Korea. This game starts with the usual game of rock-paper-scissors. Once both parties have presented their hands, the hands are kept presented and the person who wins the rock-paper-scissors round plays the offense for the first round. The player in the offense either changes or maintains his hand while simultaneously saying the corresponding name of the new hand. The opponent also changes or maintains his hand at the same time. The goal of the offense is to get the opponent's hand to be the same as his/her own. e.g. he/she would win if both players end up with a rock. After one round, if the offensive player didn't succeed, the offense/defense is redetermined from the hands resulting from the previous round and the next round begins.

In real play, each round proceeds very fast, often one or two rounds a second.

If you are on defense, since the other guy will actually say what he is switching to, you think it's not that hard to switch to a superior hand. In actuality, it's very difficult not to switch to what he said.

43. Re: America's Deadliest Sweetener Jul 8, 2010, 12:01 Fang

Apart from your lousy classical mechanics analogy you are right. But there is one thing you forgot to include NON-ZERO isnt always NEAR zero. Some forms of radiation have a significantly MORE THAN ZERO chance of fucking up your cells than others. Just like certain chemicals have a higher probability of being bad for you than others. Then there is the time factor, the longer you are exposed to for e.g. GAMMA rays the higher the health risks.

Right, and my point is that with lower energy wavelengths, you have an even less chance of tissue ionization. That's why a lifetime of X-rays can give a higher chance of cancer, since they are higher energy EM radiation. However, cell phones operate at a lower wavelength than natural light or even infrared light. We don't see a light bulb as a cancer risk, and a cell phone is even less than that.

Take a look at a wavelength chart. A lifetime of UV light from sun exposure can give you skin cancer. Will a lower energy EM radiation cause deeper tissue penetration and give you brain cancer and not skin cancer? Extremely unlikely. A computer monitor with its natural light is hitting you with a higher energy EM radiation than a cell phone. That's more likely to cause brain cancer than a cell phone (both are near zero).

But some people like to wear tin foil hats...

36. Re: America's Deadliest Sweetener Jul 7, 2010, 17:46 Fang

I'll be nice and here's a quick primer about EMF and cancer.

We understand quite well the mechanics of EM radiation and how it causes cancer. A complete understanding of it requires knowledge of quantum mechanics, but I'll try to simplify it. The thing about quantum mechanics is that everything is pretty much a probability, not a certainty.

For example, when two pool balls collide, classical mechanics will predict how they will bounce off of each other. Quantum will predict the likelihood that they will pass right through each other. And the probability is non-zero. With higher energy, there is a higher likelihood that the photon will pass through the material. If a photon happens to pass through you and damage an atom in one of your DNA cells that happens to control it's growth and reproduction rate, then you get cancer.

Low energy EM radiation is like me throwing a tennis ball against the wall with you being on the other side of it. What is the likelihood that the tennis ball will go through the wall, hit you in the exact spot on your chest that happens to stop your heart and kill you? Quantum mechanics says it's non-zero, near zero, but it theoretically can happen. High energy EM radiation is like me firing a gun at the wall with you being on the other side of it. Slightly higher chance of me killing you. (ie. causing cancer)

So can a wifi router cause cancer? Theoretically. According to quantum mechanics and calculating how the photons will react, the probability will be non-zero, near zero, but still non-zero.

But does cosmic radiation have a higher probability of causing cancer? What about even lower energy radiation such as your overhead light causing brain cancer? There are so many higher probabilities things that can give you cancer or just outright kill you. If we worry about that near zero probability, shouldn't we worry about meteors falling from the sky?

I'm not too worried about cell phones, wifi routers, and other sources of low energy EM radiation like the lights in my house. Just like I'm not worried about me falling through my chair because my atoms just happen to decide not to collide with the chair atoms. It can happen, but it's extremely unlikely.

But here's a hint. If you live long enough, you will get cancer. Probably not from your cell phone, but everything else that can damage your DNA.

35. Re: America's Deadliest Sweetener Jul 7, 2010, 17:18 Fang

Well, the FDA is political entity, protecting its turf. And the CDC is yet another. So the question everyone asks themselves, but perhaps not consciously, is "Do I trust what I'm being told by those in control?"

Well, I'm afraid I can't be pulled into an argument of whether or not we should all be wearing tin foil hats, so I'm going to pass on this one.

Do I trust what I'm being told by those who are not in control? No, not really when they are wearing those shiny hats.

When I was in grad school, I had a friend of mine who was getting a PhD in chemistry. His advice on chemicals and cancer is that pretty much all chemicals cause cancer, both natural and manufactured, except for water. Some more than others. So basically, you're screwed.

I don't have to refute anything he's said. In fact, I agree with him that artificial sweeteners aren't that good. Though I don't need to resort to the fear or the reasoning that he uses, but it does make a good headline title.

But just because he is right about one thing doesn't mean he's right about everything else.

As for the FDA, the example given about them shows how permissive they are. If they won't even let him go through with his false advertising, then you know something's wrong.

28. Re: America's Deadliest Sweetener Jul 7, 2010, 15:15 Fang

What are you smoking? It's an article on HuffPo by a physician reminding people of the very real dangers of aspartame because they're changing the name to AminoSweet in order to help dupe consumers. Where was there any mention of a vaccince or wonder cures?

Follow the links to the rest of his site. He's a leader in the anti-vaccine movement. He also believes your cellphone and your wifi router are killing you.

http://www.skepdic.com/mercola.html

But he's on HuffPo's site, so that must mean it's accurate.

Oh, and he does sell some amazing wonder cures on his website. Be sure to buy some!

Disclaimer: The FDA has issued two warning letters for false and misleading advertising to Dr. Mercola. Use of these products may or may not cure your disease. But what the hell, the worst it could do is kill you, and you're going to die one day anyway.

Extra note: I hate and don't use Aspartame. It's pure sugar for me. But I still have a wifi router right by my desk.

This comment was edited on Jul 7, 2010, 15:31.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 5, 2010, 21:10 Fang

You are always on about this massive back catalog of games you need to play but I never hear you say you're playing any of them.

Maybe he's so overwhelmed that he can't even begin.

News Comments > THQ Courted Respawn, Needs IP Ownership
8. Re: THQ Courted Respawn, Needs IP Ownership Jun 30, 2010, 21:08 Fang

This is why THQ fails at developing original IP. They just don't get it. Looking at their catalog, they just have a bunch of Hollywood licenses. I'm sure they can and have built a successful business churning out titles on Hollywood IP. The nice thing is you don't have to worry about quality.

Yeah, Respawn made a good decision passing on them.

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Day 2
18. Re: Steam Summer Sale Day 2 Jun 26, 2010, 02:41 Fang

So "Ive Got the News" when is WBIE going to come out with their own digital delivery system? Does Ryan have her sights set on one to take over?  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
19. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 22, 2010, 17:14 Fang

Even that makes no sense when you're talking different games. I've used ventrilo a lot with eve online, but I don't log into it just to check in if I'm not playing that game, let alone while I'm playing another game.

The private group situation inside a larger game makes sense. Especially in a game like MW2 that can break up a group between 2 sides to keep it balanced. I think I'm getting why this would be useful now. I just don't play in groups very often, I barely even use my headset anymore... seems to be getting less useful in games with all the sound effects and prompts on screen.

Your right that it's convenient to be able to talk to everyone even if they are split up in the same game, but I find that I use it mainly to pull a larger group together, especially if they are in other games.

They don't want to quit their current game (especially if they are winning) unless they can talk to find out what's going down in the game you are trying to invite them to.

News Comments > On OnLive Game Prices
103. Re: On OnLive Game Prices Jun 22, 2010, 17:00 Fang

Yeah, I'm sure Blue would try to protect industry execs identities if they want to stay anonymous.

If it's not Jason Hall, it's definitely someone who's worked closely with him, we know that much for sure. I've compared Jason Hall's writing style to Riley's and it is similar. But that's not definite proof.

100. Re: On OnLive Game Prices Jun 22, 2010, 16:33 Fang

So what do you guys think? Do you think it's Jason Hall under an alias?

I still haven't figured out what Valve did to Monolith to make Riley hate them so much.

96. Re: On OnLive Game Prices Jun 22, 2010, 16:06 Fang

Really? Wow, I completely missed that. I guess that's the point of new usernames. What tipped you off?  

93. Re: On OnLive Game Prices Jun 22, 2010, 15:51 Fang

No, I'm talking about all the Assley Putz posts below.

I've got some pubes, dudes = Assley.

I guess I'm not seeing those. Are you sure your machine is okay? Maybe you installed one too many demos...

As for Riley, he started a new account as >U. I think it's because he accidentally revealed that he was affiliated with Monolith. I became convinced that he was Jason Hall under an alias, trying to get other industry folks who read the site to band against Steam. Once I brought up Jason Hall's name though, >U disappeared never to be heard from again. Read into that what you will.

I for one believe that he's still out there... watching... waiting...

89. Re: On OnLive Game Prices Jun 22, 2010, 15:35 Fang

nin wrote on Jun 22, 2010, 07:09:
What kind of idiotic moron would subscribe to this service?!

Fang.

I guess the upside is Assley can troll about something else now.

Are you claiming that I'm Riley Putz with a new account?

You obviously don't remember me arguing with Riley about Steam.

Also, what part of me saying "I will not buy games on this system." and "I think the business is going to fail." did you miss? Just because I've tried to correct people's uninformed views of what is actually possible with technology doesn't make me a troll. Business wise, I've always said I don't think it's going to work.

And as long as it's free, I'll subscribe to the service. I could use a demo system, if you don't need one, fine. Don't use it.

Also, don't confuse the fact that I've argued that $5/month is cost effective when compared to building a new machine. Just because it's cost effective doesn't mean the business will succeed. It still has to provided a comparable experience. And right now, as a user, I don't think it is.

43. Re: On OnLive Game Prices Jun 22, 2010, 04:21 Fang

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 22, 2010, 03:37:
You are wrong. I will be saying "Do not buy this - do not support this" Just like I do with 60.00 pc games like MW2.

And we can see that that worked pretty well.

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/6062/1258035395841.jpg

42. Re: On OnLive Game Prices Jun 22, 2010, 04:12 Fang

Not least because in 95% of the earths surface, broadband speeds are too low. Including my house.
This is just an investor scam. Eventually, there will be court cases from the people who got scammed. This is not a real business.

But that's because you only have cows for neighbors. And 5% of the earth's surface has 50% of it's population.

For the record, I would bet that this business won't make it. But a failed business is different than an investor scam. The technology works (I know you can't see that it works, but that's because you live 100's of miles from civilization and that's not their fault). And those of us who are in the service see that it works.

But the question of will the market accept this WORKING technology, that's what startups try to answer. That's what VC's pay to find out. No Blue's reader believed that the market would pay $50/year just to get multiplayer on Xbox Live when they already get it for free on the PC and PS3. But they did. Did you really think Fileplanet would still be around? It is. Justin Bieber? I rest my case.

But you better believe that publishers want to see this work.

Me? I'm still not certain that the business economics will work out, and if I had to bet, I'd bet against them. They need more servers and bandwidth. They can't have glitches during prime time.

This comment was edited on Jun 22, 2010, 04:23.

41. Re: On OnLive Game Prices Jun 22, 2010, 03:58 Fang

That just means you aren't used to using KBM, it doesn't mean it is actually better. Any game with aiming is better on KBM if you ask me, including Just Cause 2 (and yes I have a 360 controller I use for racing games and beat 'em ups). If PC gamers are going to be expected to try this service they are going to want KBM to work perfectly, and it doesn't.

No, Tumbler is referring to the optimization and performance level of OnLive with it's frame rate and screen updating algorithms. That's what he means by "better". It's basically how fast you turn. Usually with a controller, you turn slower (why PC gamers hate it compared to a KBM). But if you take a mouse and jack up the sensitivity, the screen doesn't update too well. I was getting motion sick from the slow screen updates with a highly sensitive mouse. I set it back to default and the game looked and played much better.

I assume it's in their secret sauce to get the screen to update so fast on an internet connection. It doesn't handle twitches too well from what I've seen.

OnLive seems to optimize based on default settings. So just a warning if you adjust things.

28. Re: On OnLive Game Prices Jun 22, 2010, 01:27 Fang

I was going to ask the PC Warrior if he is always a jerk or just today, but I figured it out by browsing his post history. I'm not a shill, I'm just not a technological idiot.

As for my experience with OnLive, no, latency isn't the problem. But there are problems. If you know a lot about game engine development and technology, you would have known that latency wasn't going to be the problem for their target audience.

Though when I say no problem with latency, I mean comparable to how a game would play locally with a wireless mouse and a slow LCD monitor. I gamed for awhile like that, back when LCD monitors were cutting edge. I know that's not acceptable to you guys, but to many people, it'd be fine.

But there are plenty problems that are keeping this platform back. Just not latency. It's pure old bandwidth. 8 PM tonight, I tried playing and my screen kept on going blurry. I speedtested my connection and it was fine. My controls weren't becoming laggy, they just didn't have the bandwidth to keep pumping out the high quality screens on their server farm. 8 PM is probably the highest traffic time. They have to be able to handle the highest traffic.

Also, the frame rate is rather low. So when I tried to change the mouse sensitivity, I started to become motion sick because of all the skipping due to the low frame rate. It seems they optimized the smoothness of the game to the default sensitivity. I guess if you are using a controller, it would be fine, but with a mouse I like to jack things up.

Bottom line, if they are going to charge retail prices, they have to provide a comparable experience. Right now, it is not. So I won't be buying any games from them.

What I will do is use my free year to use the system as a demo system. That way I don't have to worry about some demo rootkit.

Will I pay $5/month for a demo platform? Well, some people pay that for Fileplanet access. I'm not sure I would. We'll have to see. Knowing me, I'll probably just say screw it and go back to console gaming. We'll see in a year.

But publishers would be stupid not to get their games on this system. Great exposure, and no loss of control of their IP. Plus, they get to charge full price. Maybe they won't see extra sales on this platform, but I'm going to be buying some games only because I demo'd them on OnLive. I wouldn't have demo'd them otherwise. And I haven't bought a PC game in I don't know how long. They have nothing to lose.

As for total cost, that PC Warrior was referring to, if it were a comparable alternative to a console or PC (right now it's not) then $5/month would of course make sense compared to spending $300 on a console or video card. Though maybe he's math challenged. Unfortunately, OnLive needs to invest more in their server farms and increase their capacity to handle the high level mark.

This comment was edited on Jun 22, 2010, 04:14.

News Comments > OnLive On, Live
49. Re: OnLive On, Live Jun 20, 2010, 23:20 Fang

And what the hell does that have anything to do with using OnLive as a demo system?  

1079 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo