Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Fang

Real Name Fang   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Fang
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 19, 2000, 18:39
Total Comments 1079 (Pro)
User ID 6315

User comment history
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
44. Re: No subject Jul 18, 2005, 22:34 Fang

If you happen to stumble across some more controls sometime, here's a nice brief explanation of how to properly use the color-bars to calibrate a TV:

lol, thanks for all your help. I did crack out the TV manual to figure out how to gain access to the rest of the controls (yes, I do have saturation, tint, etc.) I tweaked those a little, so the problem is pretty much gone.

I can't believe I had the factory defaults all this time on my TV. I'm a major tweaker (I build my own computers and MythTV/Tivo boxes) and I can't believe I've been suffering all this time from a poor image quality, when I just had to adjust my TVs controls. I just thought it was because I bought a cheap TV. (And before, I spent countless hours tweaking the MythTV box to give me the best possible TV image).

They say that smart people do dumb things because they think they are too smart to do something dumb. That's one for me.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: No subject Jul 18, 2005, 18:47 Fang

I haven't heard any audio distortion, however, I always pipe the sound directly into my stereo system from the "tivo", bypassing the TV completely. Sometimes, I'll activate the AUX output from the TV (since I send the audio to the TV also anyways) and that AUX output sounds clean.

I haven't used the actual TV speakers in a long time.

However, I just tried out your suggestion to turn down the "saturation". On my TV, the only control I have is called "Picture" but it seems to control the intensity. I didn't realize that mine was set to maximum. I knocked it down to 60%. It's helped immensely. It's still a little off, but it may be from my testing the different intensities.

Thanks for the tip.

22. Re: No subject Jul 18, 2005, 15:32 Fang

It's a plain TV. Though I have tried degaussing it (with a plain TV, it should auto-degauss if you leave it unplugged for 30 minutes) No luck.

I didn't think it was electrostatic interference since its not there usually, only when bright colors are displayed staticly for a period of time. If it was from a nearby source, I would imagine that it would be there constantly. Correct me if I'm wrong.

16. Re: No subject Jul 18, 2005, 14:49 Fang

Since we're talking about technical problems, I have an issue with my CRT TV (I'm running a linux box to give "tivo" functionality in my living room).

Whenever "white" or a "bright" color is displayed for a decent amount of time (estimating 30 secs.) in a static area of the screen, the TV gets discolored right at the area. If it is on the left of the screen, its a green discoloration, if its on the right, its gets a red discoloration. Shutting off the TV and waiting 10 seconds causes it to go away, or if a sufficiently dark pattern is displayed for some time.

Has anyone seen anything like this, or have this kind of experience with CRTs? It's a standard (non-flat) 27 inch TV.

News Comments > Into the Black
22. Re: No subject Jul 12, 2005, 09:49 Fang

I'm amazed at how much Halsy cares for those CIA agents and operatives. After all we've heard from him about how the CIA is "eevieeall". I'm sure the Canadian cares deeply from the bottom of his heart.

Though I'm sure if it was a liberal administration, we would be hearing all about how "eevieall" the CIA really is and why this was just a small little matter, no bigger than perjury in a federal court.

19. Re: Science 0, Voodoo 1 Jul 9, 2005, 15:26 Fang

interesting juxtaposition of headlines:

- Leading Cardinal Redefines Church's View on Evolution
- U.S. losing lead in science and engineering

Of course there's no cause and effect relationship there at all.

That would be the Roman Catholic church. You know, the one based in Rome. Which is in Europe...

And Europe is seeing a 40% greater number of Science/Engineering PHD's than the US... And the percentage of the European population that is Catholic is far greater than the US. Sure, you can make the argument that they are Catholic in name only, but its hard denying that the Roman Catholic Church has far more sway in Europe than the US.

Nice try, but you have to bash the US some other way.
This comment was edited on Jul 9, 15:31.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. DS PSP Report Jul 8, 2005, 13:11 Fang

LOL, that DS/PSP report is solely based on internet forums.

83. Re: No subject Jul 7, 2005, 22:06 Fang

If this was true as the simple reason, why haven't they rather attacked some Scandinavian country where women generally are more equal to men?

Because the US would interfere anyways. If you want to take over the world, you have to go after the big dog.

29. Re: No subject Jul 7, 2005, 14:44 Fang

I'm wondering if Bush still feels its was worth it.

What, invading Afganistan?

Assuming that you are implying Iraq, if Iraq hadn't happened, than the London attacks would have been for Britain having troops in Afganistan and Saudi Arabia, instead of Afganistan and Iraq.

News Comments > Battlefield 2 Patch
42. Re: first Jul 6, 2005, 18:12 Fang

Also trying bitTorrent, but as usual its just sitting there at 0%. Anyone have any Ideas why BitTorrent doesn't work at all for me?

If you open up ports for BitTorrent, it will speed up your download. I believe there is a link explaining it on BitTorrents main site.

Also, you have to give it some time. You get download priority based on how much you upload, so when you first begin, its a slower start before it ramps up to your maximum bandwidth.

News Comments > BF2 Patch Soon
70. Re: No subject Jul 1, 2005, 17:46 Fang

Some people seem to be under the misconception that I am bashing HL2, or promoting BF2 in it's stead. Neither is the case. I own both, enjoy both, but to claim that any shooter is bigger than BF2 right now is just silly as far as I'm concerned, especially considering it's only been out for a week.

Sure, and likewise I'm not trying to bash BF2. I expect that I will eventually pick it up once plenty of patches have been released for it.

I'm just pointing out that while BF2 has a lot of hype/publicity since its the latest thing, if you are looking for most played fps, its not quite there. HL, or I should say CounterStrike, still has over 100,000 players on it. Keep in mind this isn't me saying that CS is better or that "my game" is bigger than your game. Just trying to state the facts. If it makes you feel better, I retired my MP5 a long time ago. In fact, I've played BF1942 more recently than CS.

69. Re: No subject Jul 1, 2005, 17:35 Fang

EA states that the reason the servers processing the ranked stats were bogged down is cause they were processing 1.3 MILLION players. Source of the info is either TotalBF2 or PlanetBattlefield.

Great, then this is comparable to the 2.3 million unique monthly Steam players. Now of course this probably isn't referring to the number of player game sessions that they have to process. But its reasonable to assume that EA has sold 1.3 million copies of BF2 in the last half month. Or is it? They may very well. But usually top console games sell ~200-300k in a month (most would expect this is a larger audience). I haven't been able to find what the usual top selling game is for the PC. There has been a large drought of good PC games and BF2 had plenty of hype, so maybe they really did sell 1.3 million copies in under a month.

And reguardless WHERE people are if you want to compair pure player numbers at least from Gamespy at least take a sampling at a time where your figures have some reasonable basis behind them.

Not quite sure what this means, the Asia internet cafe's reference was a joke. I assume you are trying to say that you want to compare peak numbers. Well, with the fact that the internet is global, do you mind telling us when we should expect the peak number of players to be? 8 PM EST?

What you really want to see is a graph from EA like the one Valve posts at the previous link.

you are ASSuming that everyone is only playing CS and CS:S.

You are right, my bad. Only 96.1% of online HL2 players are playing CS:S at the moment according to Gamespy. Though again, Gamespy isn't that accurate. It seems to be missing a few tens of thousand of Steam players.

59. Re: No subject Jul 1, 2005, 16:39 Fang

Maybe you should actually read the stats you just linked to.

I did, and according to Gamespy, 2 hours ago, BF2 had 4000 less players, while HL2 had 3000 less players. And HL1 had 3000 more players. Those internet cafe's in Asia must be finally getting some sleep. Now there may have very well been over double the number of players in BF2 Demo, but sorry, I didn't bother checking that since it was so far down the list. I doubt it though.

The reason why I put them together since its all about Counter-Strike with HalfLife. And whats the difference between CounterStrike:Source and CounterStrike:Steam? An argument can be made that they should be included together.

Server count can have a big deal of relevance to the discussion. It's usually more indicative of the number of unique players, assuming that the number of server operators is uniform among players. If you have 4x as many unique players, but they play half as often (since they aren't as addicted), it will look like you have only twice as many players. This was common during the TF and Quake days. TF had quite a few more players playing at once than regular Quake, but Quake probably had many more unique players.

And after all that, it seems Gamespy may not be that on top of the ball.

http://www.steampowered.com/status/status.html

It seems that combined (that's all they give there) HL and HL2 have ~174,000 players right now and ~79,000 servers (with 2.3 million unique players per month). Gamespy sure seems to be missing quite a few players and servers.

EA stated on 6/23/05 that BF2 had a peak of 25,000+ players. Keep in mind this was before the European release.

Anyone know if Gamespy runs the master listing servers for EA? (which would mean that those are accurate numbers for BF2 now). That's my only other question, you big, huggable bear.

And finally yes, you probably can also say:
It's the current top selling shooter out there right now and everyone knows it...

46. Re: No subject Jul 1, 2005, 14:23 Fang

It's the biggest shooter out there right now and everyone knows it, even if you want to cry all day about it's issues.

Actually HalfLife and HalfLife2 together still have 5x as many servers and almost 3x as many players.

http://www.gamespy.com/stats/

Your statement would be correct as follows:
It's the third biggest shooter out there right now and everyone knows it...

or

It's the most recent shooter out there right now and everyone knows it...

News Comments > Xbox Games on PCs?
16. Re: This is stupid Jul 1, 2005, 09:23 Fang

I just can't think of (m)any xbox games I'd want to play...

You're probably leaving out the ones that haven't been already ported from the Xbox to the PC. KOTOR's, Splinter Cell's, etc. But that's the strength of the Xbox for the developers. Its easy to port from the Xbox to the PC, so they can do it and gain even more revenue.

News Comments > Full Brian Lara Cricket Demo
20. Re: Cricket Jun 30, 2005, 17:34 Fang

Talking about difference in sports, I don't understand why American football isn't more popular. Sure, I understand the appeal of the other sports, but I'm wondering why American football hasn't appealed to the rest of the world and gotten as big as it has in the States.

Is it that there is a learning curve to appreciate the strategy of the game? So new spectactors are put off?

99. Re: Physics Jun 29, 2005, 18:22 Fang

There's also a study group where some groups, including MIT, made some experiments to verify Dr. Mill's claims:
http://www.hydrino.org/

Sounds like proof through name dropping.

Shadow, Shadow, Shadow, what are we going to do with you?

Calling Quantum Mechanics a psuedoscience and then Hydrino Theory a real science?

Here's the intro to wikipedia's entry on Hydrino Theory:

"Hydrino theory is a colloquial term for one aspect of a theory of physics developed by Dr. Randell Mills termed "Classical Quantum Mechanics". It should be noted that hydrino theory is not accepted as a legitimate theory by nearly all reputable scientists who've examined its claims and in fact is currently regarded by most scientists, especially physicists in particular, as being a pseudoscience."

It probably hasn't been "peer-reviewed" because its not qualified to be even published by a reputable journal.

57. Re: Remembrance of Things Future... Jun 28, 2005, 23:54 Fang

Agreed 100%. I honestly think that the MIT student that put on the "Time Traveler's Convention" knew it was a load of crap, but numerous media outlets took it hook, line, and sinker.

http://hacks.mit.edu/

42. Re: Remembrance of Things Future... Jun 28, 2005, 17:16 Fang

There has to be a set of rules for the universe that are totally deterministic on all scales.

This way of thinking was very much the standard in the scientific community in the 19th century. Like Zathrus said, this goes against the last 100 years of hard science and that thing you are using to read this (your CPU). The undeterminism of electron tunneling has a major impact on the design of processors.

I think the response to "God doesn't play dice with the universe," was "He does, and the dice are loaded."

Here is Hawking's lecture on the subject:
http://www.hawking.org.uk/lectures/dice.html

He gives an easy explanation of the uncertainty principle.

Its mind-opening to realize that what we think "has" to be right is clearly not the way things really are. Can you imagine that there actually is a possibility that you will fall "through" your chair or be able to walk through a wall? Our mind wants to say impossible and reject it out right, but then the science holds and it even impacts our daily lives.

30. Re: Remembrance of Things Future... Jun 28, 2005, 15:29 Fang

String Theory is not the same thing as Quantum Mechanics. I think what you are trying to criticize is current Theoretical Physics.

Calling Quantum Mechanics a psuedo-science really just reveals your own ignorance. At least do a wikipedia lookup of the term before you go off about it. Do you really believe that its all a hoax and there are no such things as nuclear power plants?

Also, just because you don't understand the Heisenberg uncertainty principle doesn't mean its wrong. Its not about the accuracy of the intruments. The experimentally verified mathematical equations (I know redundant, but I'm trying to be clear for the tin-foiled, man-on-the-moon-is-a-hoax crowd) show that there must be an uncertainty factor.

Again, another 100 years of hard science with real life applications (power plants, weapons, batteries) being called a psuedo-science in ignorance.

1079 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 31.
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo