Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Fang

Real Name Fang   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Fang
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 19, 2000, 18:39
Total Comments 1079 (Pro)
User ID 6315

User comment history
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: No subject Jan 20, 2006, 18:37 Fang

Yeah, but $299 is not $300. "less than $300" means it could very well be $299. And usually when companies state "less than X" they mean to later announce they will charge X-1 dollars for it.
This comment was edited on Jan 20, 18:38.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
31. Re: bad playcall at ending Jan 16, 2006, 02:59 Fang

I kinda like watching football, but not enough to spend several hours watching it, particularly when there's so much other stuff I need to get done... plus trying to watch anything with a toddler around is an excercise in frustration.

Sounds like you need a Tivo or MythTv box. I love watching football with a 30 second skip button on my MythTv box. Hit it once between plays, and it puts you right to the next play (unless they are running a hurry-up offense) I usually start watching games 2 hours after they start, and I end at the same time as live tv. This way, I watch football games in about an hour.

4 taps and I skip all the commercials.

8. Re: Holy crap!!! Jan 15, 2006, 16:58 Fang

Warpig, yes, that game was unbelievable, absolutely unbelievable.

24. Re: BF2 Cheater Jan 13, 2006, 15:13 Fang

Reading the latest at that link, it looks like initially they weren't going to do anything, but now it looks like his stats have been erased, and he's been banned from all punkbuster servers in bf2.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
4. Re: Nunchaku Controllers, WTF!? Jan 8, 2006, 22:51 Fang

You haven't heard about the "Nunchaku" style controller? Gamers who have tried it say that it works really well, much more intuitively than a regular controller.

So he's probably reiterating what the press and testers are saying about the controller, it works great for fps.

It combines the motion sensitive revolution controller (for aiming) with an extra dongle (hence the "Nunchaku" style reference) which allows forward and lateral movement.

Like I said, gamers who've tried it say its great. I hope all the console makers can figure out a way to get a controller like that.

69. Re: Da Mooovies Jan 6, 2006, 21:55 Fang

I think part of the problem with Pegasus was that it was so unexpected (along with the pregnancy thing).

We do have a "Tivo" (MythTV really) but we try not to spoil things.

I've since let things cool from a few months ago, and we settled on having me screen the show first from now on. The nice thing about MythTV is that you can then go in and edit a show, removing commercials and any scenes that a pregnant woman can't handle.

50. Re: Da Mooovies Jan 6, 2006, 17:06 Fang

I had my wife watch BSG and she really enjoyed it... until the last episode that was shown, the Pegasus.

After that episode, due to certain scenes, let's just say she was a bit emotional and vowed to never watch it again.

At the viewer warning, we scoffed at the need for a warning, since there was no warning for all the sex, violence and torturing before. But that last episode really crossed the line for her.

I'm curious about other wives' reactions to it. Though my wife was in her first trimester at the time so those hormones might have made her a bit more emotional...

34. Re: OT - ad problem Jan 3, 2006, 17:18 Fang

No Honda's or Toyota's? After owning some of those cars, I never want to go back to a Ford or a GM car. The reliability is just so much larger. For example, my parents have a 96 Corolla and a 96 Cavalier. The Cavalier needs a $1500 repair job on its A/C unit in the engine block, which exceeds the value of the car. They've never had any problems with the Corolla and it's still running fine.

I could consider a Cadillac, but as the story previously mentioned, GM in general seems to have a problem with bean counters using cheap parts; and it seems to be true even on their luxury models.

35. Re: Wait. Dec 14, 2005, 16:34 Fang

Whatever happened to those shows where people would go out on the streets with a camera and ask random people the most stupidly simple questions? I loved watching those.

At first those clips seems amazing, that such a high percentage of people had no idea about simple questions. But you have to realize that they really are only showing the extremely stupid responses. ie. They go out and ask 100 people simple questions, and I'm sure that they will get 5 who are completely clueless. They then just show just those 5, and it seems like the rest of the world is stupid (and their show is funny).

64. Re: No subject Dec 8, 2005, 14:35 Fang

She thought she was there just for questioning and had been waiting for a long time. Does it really take that long to arrest someone? You can see on the video that she wasn't attempting to leave, she was just sitting there probably trying to find out why she couldn't leave. There was no need to use any force at all on any suspect who isn't moving and sitting in a police station, much less an old lady.

And five hits? 4 of them while she's on the ground?

62. Re: No subject Dec 8, 2005, 01:09 Fang

Yeah, but have you guys seen the video on CNN's frontpage of the little old grandma who gets tasered by police?

Multiple times, while just sitting there or laying paralyzed on the ground. They show actual footage of it. It really makes me sick to my stomach.
This comment was edited on Dec 8, 01:09.

News Comments > Illinois Gaming Law KOed, Appeal Planned
60. Re: No subject Dec 5, 2005, 00:16 Fang

Then why dont you keep your mouth shut about US laws? Is this thread about a Canadian law??

Dumbfuck

It takes a man to admit when he is wrong. And I've done that. Too bad you are incapable of doing the same.

Wow, this thread exploded since I last read it. Anyway, my original point that got blown off earlier (since it was incorrectly believed that movie ratings are enforced in the U.S.) is that I think its a weak argument to say that just because you aren't acting the violence/sex and only watching the violence/sex, there shouldn't be enforced penalities for movies (if you are lobbying for enforced penalities for games).

I'm not making a stand on whether or not there should be penalities, just noting the hypocrisy.

As for Halo getting an M, you aren't forcing you're character to swear, and hearing swearing is fine for PG-13 movies. As for "acting" the violence, there are plenty of T rated games (PG-13 equivalent) that exhibit violence even against fellow humans (007 for example), whereas Halo is conducted only against aliens. My point was that the actual rating of games currently has a poor uncertain process where it seems that some games are rated higher than need be.

I think that as the population ages and those who rate the games are actually from a generation that consumes the media, we'll see games more accurately rated.

News Comments > Splinter Cell: Double Agent Spied
6. Re: another splinter cell? Dec 4, 2005, 16:40 Fang

Never tried any of the others.

And that would be why you think they are just milking it. They have added substantially to each new Splinter Cell game, especially with multiplayer (not run-of-the-mill deathmatch, but a original mode that really fits the game well) in the second one, and coop play (outstanding) in the third.

The single player in the third game was by far the best out of the three.

News Comments > Illinois Gaming Law KOed, Appeal Planned
14. Re: No subject Dec 4, 2005, 00:43 Fang

This is no different than if stores were selling (renting) R rated movies

Actually, it is different, no one is proposing any penalties for R-rated movies. I would consider them more serious if they were doing this across the board, movies and games. As it is, they are just trying to play politics.

I think part of the problem is that games are overly stringent in their ratings. I mean, an equivalent R rating for Halo? I understand GTA, but there are so many innocent games out there that get an M.

48. Re: Stubbs FYI Dec 2, 2005, 20:33 Fang

But it's ok for the American Taliban to hate everyone else who isn't a brainwashed sheep? These people are a threat to America and the world, and they need to be stopped. Be they muslim or xtian, these savages want to drag us back into the dark ages and do away with freedom.

Don't forget those Atheist Taliban. Hating all those who don't believe the way they do.

16. Re: Questions! Nov 27, 2005, 15:12 Fang

And with that, the thread takes an unexpected turn...

Were you surprised? I was expecting something along those lines. Discussing 18 year old females on a gamer site? What do you expect?

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: How many times can paper Nov 23, 2005, 01:34 Fang

How many times can infallible almighty Mathematics be disproved.
The quotes of impossibility from universities and experts is laughable.

I don't really regard PBS as "experts". And I think you have it backwards. It was mathematics that disproved the commonly accepted theory that paper can only be folded in half 8 times. This wasn't believed to be true because anyone had any mathematics to back it up, but only because they couldn't do it.

We only have this breakthrough because someone who loved math, sat down and actually thought it through.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
9. Re: Sony sued by Texas Nov 21, 2005, 20:52 Fang

Ah, but can Sony sue 3M for providing tape to cover the DRM on the CD's?

92. Re: No subject Nov 17, 2005, 19:07 Fang

I am not sure you understand what the good ol boy system is.

Ah yes, I am aware of how it works, which is why I'm busy networking with future CEO's at HBS and MIT Sloan. I think its a great system. (Obviously, systems are only unfair to a person if they don't benefit that person).

My work ethic, the respect of my peers, and my network of friends and associates will get me a better position with a better environment. (pending no run-ins with AA )

Oh don't worry, AA will ensure that an old fogey like you will get hired.

91. Re: No subject Nov 17, 2005, 19:01 Fang

Book smart is book smart.

Then why use it to close the door on those who already have fewer opportunities?

I don't give two shits about the correlation of the good ol boy system and minorities, I am saying jobs do not benefit (in general) those who bust their ass.

Right, because usually we only care about when things are unfair for us, we don't really care when they are unfair for others (usually, because it benefits us).

bla bla bla comparing me to white supremecists, bla bla bla.

Yeah, I apologize, it wasn't meant as a comparison, but an illustration as to the fallacy of that kind of argument.

Have you been out of college yet?
Your arguments are very similar to the ones I had in college. All books and theories and no real world examples. The "I art holier than thou" because of your education. I did the same thing.

Oh yes, I've been working for 5 years and gained a bit of "real world experience" as an employee and hiring manager. Decided to go back for more punishment. And yes, I can provide anecdotes, but they are pretty weak compared to rigorously done studies.

The underlying assumption that I am challenging you on, is that there are not qualified minorities who can do "X" job or who can graduate from "X" college. I assert that there are, then the question becomes why aren't they hired or admitted? Is it because of our subconscious racism that is illustrated by the 50% difference in reponse rates to similar resumes with white names vs. black names? (which I assert is what AA is attempting to alleviate) And when they are admitted are the higher failure rates due to their race? Or is it some other factors (the historical overt racism that impeded their parents preventing them from helping their children, the current subconscious racism of expected failure or resentment, lack of funds for better study materials/prep courses/better teachers).

You claim that it doesn't work in the Midwest. I could see how that argument can be supported by claiming that there are just too few minorities in the area to support the higher expected rates of hiring them. But the flip side is that with fewer minorities, subconscious racism can be more easily hidden (and more prevalent).

Now I realize that with your "many experiences" things are more ingrained into you. But I'm just trying to challenge your thinking, that things may not be how they appear.

1079 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 28.
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo