Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Fang

Real Name Fang   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Fang
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 19, 2000, 18:39
Total Comments 1079 (Pro)
User ID 6315

User comment history
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Paul Flaherty Mar 25, 2006, 23:18 Fang

me, all i want is a shack on some Walden Pond somewhere, with a big fireplace and a big dog.

No you don't. Do you know how freaking cold it gets in MA? Ugh, this past year was another cold winter. And the year before was a doozy.

If you do that, you'll need a huge fireplace, and a big supply of firewood.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > World of Warcraft Guide Quashed, Lawsuit
4. Re: No subject Mar 25, 2006, 01:40 Fang

The guy is a thief plain and simple.

You are an idiot, plain and simple.

What do you expect from the Liberal Taliban? To actually be able to understand the other side of an argument?

News Comments > Taunting Tragedy?
16. Re: No subject Mar 20, 2006, 02:03 Fang

Well, he does have a point.

If there's no such thing as a soul, then all there really is to behaviors are brain circuits and programming.

Is there such thing as free will? If not, then our "programming" is at fault. Can you blame them if their actions are deterministic to what was fed into them?

You can call it fate, or not, are they just little deterministic creatures that will follow their programming (albeit complicated programming?)

Of course, you can bring quantum mechanics into the equation as some have, but even if you do, then probabilistic law is then just applied, and in the large scale of things, we can know with certainty how large patterns of neurons will react (maybe not now, but eventually).

So there you have it:
no soul = must ban video games!
soul = let freedom reign!

58. Re: Meatforce Mar 16, 2006, 19:06 Fang

And besides, the last time I called tech support for something I got the most redneck sounding country inbred person you could imagine.

Yeah, don't you hate it when you get EvilGrouse's mom on the line for tech support?

Woohoo! Mom joke!

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Wow... Mar 15, 2006, 09:14 Fang

The only problem with that system, Dan, is that they cut back on the video memory with only 256 MB. If you're paying for SLI, you don't want the system to be thrashing to system memory when you right at ultra high graphic settings.

At the highest settings, games do use 512 MB of video ram.

News Comments > Galactic Civilizations II versus the Space Pirates
3. Re: thats not nice Mar 12, 2006, 18:03 Fang

Hey, you got to pay your protection money, or the Russian mafia is going to come knocking.

52. Re: Car Issues... Mar 9, 2006, 16:19 Fang

Well, then it shouldn't be the brakes. Too bad, it would have been a cheap fix.

Actually, I had something similar happen to me after I had my brakes replaced. It all began when I was told I had to get them replaced on a road trip (the car was making immense grating sounds), and a family friend mechanic replaced them. They were doing just what you described after a few months. Took them to the dealership (Toyota, which was the make of the car), and they asked me if I installed the brakes myself. Anyways, they replaced the brakes, and it hasn't been a problem since.

News Comments > Half-Life 2: Episode One
37. Re: No subject Feb 11, 2006, 04:59 Fang

Valve did the market research and they have determined that episodic releases will result in greater profit than a one shot deal. It's always about the money first and formost. No surprise here.

Yes, but greater profit doesn't necessarily mean more money out of your pocket. Its simple economics, a basic supply and demand curve. Lower your price point, get more people to buy your product, realize greater profits. Cost to you as a consumer is lowered, more people share your hobby, Valve makes more profit. Switching to an episodic format allows a company to drop their price point and allow people who normally wouldn't spring for a $50 add-on, try a $10 episode. If they like it, they'll buy the next one.

Plus it forces the developer to write compelling episodes or lose their audience.

Oh wait, I'm sorry, here's the requisite "Valve is evil!" part of my post.

40. Re: And in other news.... Feb 3, 2006, 15:37 Fang

Poor Warhawk, we're on to him. Trying to give CNN equal time to gain our trust back.

What's really funny is how you and Halsy got defensive... maybe a feeling a little guilty?

27. Re: Hybrid cars in India Feb 3, 2006, 13:08 Fang

Good point, Truth. And the Lexus 400h is also a good example. Of course it isn't about the fuel economy. What do you think the Lexus customers are paying for with the extra $10,000? They don't care about savings (if they did, they would buy a kia). They are paying for the extra engine power the hybrid provides. It's been designed to forgo the fuel economy in place of more horsepower.

It's about designing your product for your target audience.

22. Re: Doh...! Feb 3, 2006, 12:14 Fang

That's pretty good, Halsy. Slight criticism of the DNC to gain trust, more villification of the Repubs (ie. DNC talking points). Stealthy insertion of client's link.

They train you guys well.

Thanks for proving my point

Next up: Batman

XM Radio would be too easy to guess with his signature. I'm guessing its something more insidious...
This comment was edited on Feb 3, 12:17.

7. Re: Doh...! Feb 3, 2006, 10:56 Fang

Have you guys read the posting over at Penny Arcade? I'll include the most interesting part:

I actually hired a company called Hype Council (http://www.hypecouncil.com). These guys do a TON of gaming related stuff -- I actually wouldn't be surprised if it's the company referred to in your news post. Their technique is quite insidious. Let's say they were hired to pump up PA (not like you need the buzz, but whatever...). Using one of the hundreds of shill accounts they have across the net, they post a new thread that says something like "hey guys, I've been looking for some new web comics to read. Anybody have any recommendations?" This is non-threatening, and gets the community engaged. They then wait a couple days and post again, this time with "Well, I asked some friends and they suggested I check out Penny Arcade <insert link>. I thought it was pretty funny, although I didn't like all the cuss words. What do you guys think?" Again, seeking engagement, they now have stealthily inserted the client's link, thereby encouraging trial. It's all very measurable and very effective. You should see the monthly reports you get from these guys: everything is detailed. Spooky.

It's all very insidious and, I'm sure, widespread. So much so that I don't trust anything I read. Unless it's a board where I "know" the posters, I always assume everyone on the board is a shill.

So let's play the "who do you really work for" game. Guess who each person is a client of.

My two guesses:
Warhawk - FoxNews
Halsy - DNC

43. Re: External hard drive Jan 31, 2006, 02:43 Fang

Fine great.Whatever. What women want from a man in a relationship and what they are attracted to and two entirely different things.

When it comes to romance, women prefer someone who tickles their funny bone

Yeah right, that's just what they say and probably even think they want. But if they had to pick between a funny poor guy, or a serious rich guy, who do you think they would pick based solely on those two attributes? Of course no one will say, "I look at the size of his bank account." I wonder if subconsciously they think that someone with a sense of humor is really just someone who is least likely to be mean/cruel toward them.

42. Re: No subject Jan 31, 2006, 02:39 Fang

Actually, a few(?) years ago, I took an introductory Tai Chi class for fun, at a local hospital. I was the only male in the group, and the only person under 40.....

So how many dates did you pick up there?

27. Re: BSG Jan 29, 2006, 00:10 Fang

Really? I liked it. I'm not saying it was the best episode of BSG, but man, it was a nice to have an episode where nothing too critical happened. My nerves are starting to get shot from watching the show. And it was more philisophical at a certain level, instead of so much violence/action. Oh, I love action, but I think I'm getting old, drama is starting to be my cup of tea.

24. Re: Gah Jan 27, 2006, 16:39 Fang

Also, for those that want to support Blue but don't want ads, you can check out Adblock Plus. It's an extended feature set of Adblock, that not only has a whitelist, but "other" extra website support features. Not that I'm condoning that sort of thing, just informing others of what's out there.
This comment was edited on Jan 27, 16:40.

17. Re: Gah Jan 27, 2006, 14:34 Fang

I suspect that it's not so simple. Contracts probably have everything covered - ads, design (no more of those cool logos), hosting, etc. While it's all speculation, I'd be surprised if UGO didn't have it all sewn up.

My point was that Blue would end his contract with UGO and sign a contract with a new company, including all those "details" that he mentioned. Of course, depending on what was in the original contract (hopefully he didn't sign binding clauses, etc) he can do this and its not all that difficult.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Gates: beating Asia piracy to take 10 y Jan 27, 2006, 13:47 Fang

Dang, with Gates track record on predictions, that means Asian piracy won't be defeated until much after 10 years, if ever.

14. Re: Gah Jan 27, 2006, 13:37 Fang

Maybe there is a better host/ad provider than UGO that Blue can easily transition to?

If anyone has recommendations feel free to share.

41. Re: No subject Jan 25, 2006, 20:09 Fang

Actually, if they are smart, Infineon should bundle their lap keyboard/mouse with a keyboard/mouse to console (Xbox) adapter. Then start advertising on Halo websites.

1079 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 27.
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo