Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Fang

Real Name Fang   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Fang
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 19, 2000, 18:39
Total Comments 1079 (Pro)
User ID 6315

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > World War II Combat: Iwo Jima Unveiled
11. Re: No subject Jun 22, 2006, 01:07 Fang

Once again the competitive retail market drives down prices while the digital distributors like Steam charge full price and pass all the savings onto themselves.

Naw, it was one of those loss-leaders. IE. get people in the door for one really low priced item and on average they will spend more for other items.

It's a retail price trick. Walmart does it with toys, which is why ToysRUs is hurting.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > World War II Combat: Iwo Jima Unveiled
8. Re: No subject Jun 22, 2006, 00:06 Fang

HL Episode One was going for $8 at Circuit City. Boohoo, too expensive.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Lost cell phone Jun 21, 2006, 12:11 Fang

Anyone want to guess how long before someone brings race into the discussion, as if it had anything to do with it? Oh wait, already done.

17. Simpsons Jun 16, 2006, 13:21 Fang

Whoa, did the Simpsons just reveal which Springfield they are in?

I thought they were always trying to obscure which state they could be in.

It almost looks like Iowa or Illinois. Someone could place a state map over a screenshot from the video and find out for sure.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Europe "key" for Xbox 360 Jun 16, 2006, 12:59 Fang

Microsoft should consider foregoing Japan and focusing on Korea instead.

It may be the case that no matter what they do, Japan just will not buy a non-Japanese game system.

However, Korea's population is very big on PC games, probably the most popular place in the world for PC games. They also have a history of resenting the Japanese invasion before WWII. Therefore, they may be more open to a non-Japanese console.

Maybe if Microsoft got the Lineage guys to make a MMO for the 360.

31. Re: No subject Jun 14, 2006, 13:29 Fang

It sounds like craigy didn't grow up in the US.

Soccer is one of the most played sports for kids in the US. But that's just it. Only our kids play it, we don't like to watch it. So why is it American kids grow up playing it, but then get older and don't like to watch it?

I think its part of our culture. I think we're a results orientated culture, which is one aspect of why our economy is the largest in the world. (I said ONE). Though we have a lack of appreciation of "art". This can be why most of us would rather do something or see something get done, rather then watch a skilled, artful game that ends up in a tie.

34. Re: As for Gino's Jun 11, 2006, 00:41 Fang

With this and the backlash against a Spanish version of the Star Spangled Banner, I wonder what most Americans think of Puerto Rico.

I mean, should we not welcome Puerto Ricans in Philadelphia because they can't speak English? Or say they aren't allowed to sing their national anthem in their native tongue?

My guess is that most Americans have no idea that a whole territory in the US has its primary language as Spanish. (Yes, for the uneducated, Puerto Rico is a part of the US, and everyone there is an American citizen)

"Those darn Americans in Puerto Rico, if they want to be born here, they better learn them some English!"

News Comments > BF2142 Demo & Beta Plans
31. Re: quake wars Jun 10, 2006, 11:04 Fang

I have a few minor bugs but nothing drastic, and considering Ive got at least 150 hours of fun from a $45 package, I think I'm doing pretty well out of it.

Sorry, you fail. You used hours to measure the value of a game.

I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

News Comments > Evening Q&As
11. Re: No subject Jun 9, 2006, 06:29 Fang

Some of the reasons are quite straightforward. "There's a lot of depressing evidence out there indicating that not very many players are finishing out games," admitted Walker. "As a creator, you want people to see all the cool stuff you've made." This is something that plagues video games as an entertainment form perhaps more than either the players or the developers would usually like to admit. It may not be as much of a problem among core gamers, and of course those who are fans of a particular game or franchise are much more likely to play to the end. Unfortunately, that's simply not true for most gamers. As much as people cry out for lengthy game experiences, most of the time that length is not being taken advantage of when we get it. For the record, when somebody at Valve talks about "evidence" relating to player experiences, it's not referring to extrapolation from message boards, or volunteer surveys. "Steam allows us to see where people gave up," Walker explained.

From my experience, he's right about this. Of the 37 Xbox games I own, I have only completed 8 of them. I keep on meaning to go back to finish them, but with 29 unfinished xbox games, I realize I just won't have the time.

I finally just stopped buying Xbox games because I feel like I'm wasting money.

News Comments > Evening Q&As
10. Re: No subject Jun 9, 2006, 06:14 Fang

I agree with Tango.

Especially about using hours to judge value for money.

If I have to play a game 100 hours to get everything I pay for, that's one game I'm not buying. Of course, I'm a gamer with a job and a newborn.

As more and more gamers get older and have families, I imagine that the market for 6 hour games is just going to grow (much to the chagrin of all you unemployed students with 100's of hours to spend on a single game).

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Hogwash, Brother Jun 8, 2006, 01:31 Fang

FourPak, you obviously missed the point. He explains further in the comments below his post:

My point isn't so much that games are inherently too hard. My beef (and admittedly, this is a rant) is with the ethos behind "earning" what you've already paid for. I'm not advocating a world where games are simple and unchallenging. I'm advocating a world where the game isn't hidden from you because you don't have the desire or time to plow in.

I do think many games are breaking this mold. Games like Half-Life 2 manage to keep you focussed enough, and unveil enough cool stuff frequently enough, to keep me satisfied.

Doom3 was such a shocker in terms of tone and visuals for me that I spent far more time on it than I would have otherwise. The demonic closets (as a friend coined them) made it nearly laughable in terms of how this 'work for it' mentality can go wrong.

Puzzle games are an entirely different animal. I *love* puzzle games. Part of the reason I love them is that in general, the content is right there in front of you. I do get frustrated, even by games like Lumines, when there's something I want that I know I'll never get: I'm quite sure there are few tracks and themes in there I will never see.

Game's don't have to be *easy*, I just appreciate it when they treat me like the owner of the thing I bought.

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: No subject Jun 8, 2006, 01:29 Fang

War, you really don't make any sense. You dismiss something you made up that you call his main point, but then you agree with his real main point by the end of your post.

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Amen, Brother Jun 7, 2006, 15:10 Fang

Now that's exactly the point I've been trying to make. (The Gamer's With Jobs Article).

Sometime about 10 years ago, we started measuring video games in terms of "hours". A game that gave you 5 hours of gameplay was somehow a ripoff. A game that proffered 100 was some kind of opus. But the reality is that most gamers play a small fraction of even those 5 hours. Let's face it, a lot of games suck. I buy the game. I play it for an hour or two. I see the pretty. I hear the boom. I go "cool" at the twist or the plot or the theme that made me want to buy it in the first place. Then back it goes into the GameSpot "used" bin.

He makes a lot of good points.

15. Re: PS3 Costs Jun 6, 2006, 12:15 Fang

I thought they were going to price the HD addon at $100. I may be mistaken.

14. Re: No subject Jun 5, 2006, 20:51 Fang

And by then, isn't the Xbox 360 supposed to be priced at $220?

I thought that was the price for the core console this Christmas.

And $299 for the premium package.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Half-Life 2: Episode One
45. Re: ... Jun 1, 2006, 22:57 Fang

And more of a good thing can be bad too.

For example, Xmen 3: fun summer movie, lots of action, great to take your mind off things, see Wolverine beat up lots of people. yet, if it had been 10 hours long, I would have walked out, even if it was 10 hours of good content.

its like reading War and Peace, a great piece of writing, but there's no way I'll read the whole thing. I just don't have the time.

I'd much rather play a high quality, great 5 hour game, than an okay 10 hour game.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Half-Life 2: Episode One
38. Re: No subject Jun 1, 2006, 21:21 Fang

Yes, longer is definitely not better. My time is at a premium, and I imagine, so is the time of a lot of other older gamers.

If a game with a story line can be done in 5 hours, and its 10 hours instead, that's my time wasted. Its the same reason why I don't want to watch a 10 hour movie.

News Comments > Morning Q&As
12. Re: I guess Jun 1, 2006, 01:32 Fang

Please, longer does not mean better. (I know it wasn't explicitly stated, but its implicit in all these episodic "discussions")

I have bought way too many games that were way too long.

Us, gamers are getting older, and we just don't have the time to finishing a 50 hour game. I won't sit through a movie that's over 3 hours long, so I don't want to sit through a game that's 20 hours. Unless a game is bringing new and changing gameplay every hour for 20 hours, I don't want to be bored by it, just so I can see how the plot ends.

In fact, if a decent game could have been 10 hours long, does the same thing over and over again, yet the developers make it 20 hours long which you must get through to see closure to the story, then you DO NOT get twice the value for your money. The game is just HALF AS GOOD as it could have been.

News Comments > Morning Q&As
8. Re: No subject May 24, 2006, 16:57 Fang

I wanted to check out BF2 with the 1.3 patch, but it broke ASE compatibility. With ASE no longer being updated, and the in-game server browser being REALLY crappy, how are most players finding decent servers?

I wonder if this is the patch that makes the game as fun as Desert Combat - BF1942. I doubt it, since there just don't seem to be any maps which have a decent armor scenario, and I'm not going to pay $10 additional dollars to get something that was already in Desert Combat.
This comment was edited on May 24, 16:59.

43. Re: Leaks May 18, 2006, 18:12 Fang

If you're referring to the text of my post, that was actually deliberate, on my part.

Read it very carefully.

So is that what you're contemplating?

1079 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo