Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Fang

Real Name Fang   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Fang
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 19, 2000, 18:39
Total Comments 1079 (Pro)
User ID 6315

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. No subject Oct 10, 2007, 14:13 Fang

That article on a Halo 3 Custom Games Browser is spot on. The lack of easy custom games is the reason why I quit Halo 2.

Bungie has said that they don't want to do it because they are worried that they won't have enough people playing matchmaking, so they would rather force everyone into matchmaking.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Beta Updated
47. Re: Pitty I cannot give Valve my money u Oct 7, 2007, 20:34 Fang

Ah, I see now. So your complaints should properly read:

"I cussed out Valve, and they banned me. I can't purchase anything from my Steam account, because they refuse to do business with jerks like me. Boohoo."

Have you tried asking for an un-ban without curse words? From my experience, usually if you cuss out someone while asking for a un-ban, 99.99% of the time, they turn you down. I'm not blaming Valve.

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Beta Updated
33. Re: Pitty I cannot give Valve my money u Oct 6, 2007, 20:56 Fang

.. they fix my Steam account.

How is it anyone else's fault that you forgot your password?

Did you bother even trying to recover it, besides posting on Blues and emailing Gabe?

"I emailed the CEO, I don't need to contact the support department."

Yup, that's what I do if I need car service. I email the CEO of Honda. I'm so mad that he hasn't responded to me yet. I even posted here, and he still hasn't responded. I can't drive my car.

News Comments > Bungie Emancipated
27. Re: woohoo Oct 5, 2007, 16:01 Fang

The price of the original "Halo":OOOO $50
The first week of sales of "Halo 3":OO $300 million
Xbox Division's Fiscal 2007 losses: O $1.9 billion
The crushed look on Apple fan-boys'
faces when Microsoft bought Bungie:O Priceless
This comment was edited on Oct 5, 16:06.

News Comments > Bungie Emancipated
21. Re: woohoo Oct 5, 2007, 15:08 Fang

I can remember being very upset when microsoft bought bungie so they would have a decent game for the original xbox denying us pc gamers the halo series where it was originally intended.

Uhm, no. Halo was originally intended for Apple computers. Ah, I remember the day when MS bought Bungie. I had a co-worker who was a die-hard Apple guy. I was the one who told him first, the expression on his face was priceless.

"Myth: Halo Wars!"

haha. Would be kinda cool, no?

And the interesting thing is that the first design iteration of Halo was for an RTS. The video demo showed you controlling a Warthog from above. But it quickly evolved into an FPS. This was long before MS bought Bungie.
This comment was edited on Oct 5, 15:08.

3. Re: Halo 3 network issues Oct 1, 2007, 17:37 Fang

Bungie's official reason for disabling any Custom Game Search/Browser feature is that they didn't want players to lose matchmaking players.

With this many MM players, I don't see why its that big of a problem, where they couldn't let players play the game who they wanted.

2. Re: Halo 3 Sep 28, 2007, 17:45 Fang

All the online options? Including the lack of a Custom Game Search function? Such a basic feature. Its disappointing that they had to cut it.

Good luck getting to play your latest Forge creation at 2 AM in the morning. You're going to have to get hundreds of players on your friend list before you can get a chance to have a full custom game.

12. Re: Well... Finished it Sep 25, 2007, 23:41 Fang

Anyone know if they have a way to Matchmake into Custom games? Instead of Halo 2's method where you can only play custom games with ppl on your friend list?

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Beta Live
138. Re: ... Sep 19, 2007, 21:57 Fang

Riley lacks the sense to work at a game developer, even as a receptionist.

I disagree, with the level of detail he puts in bashing Valve and how no matter what they do, they are the "evil empire", he really comes across as a competitor with sour grapes.

Yes, that Monolith thread is pretty revealing. Who would have guessed it was them? So do you think he's a developer or an executive? Is it Monolith's policy to continuously bash their competitors anonymously on trade websites?

And what do you think happened, let's take a poll. Why does >U/Riley/Anonymous Monolith employee hate Valve so much? Is it:
a)He was fired from Valve for being "too difficult" to work with.
b)Gabe stole his girlfriend in high school.
c)Robin Walker ran over his dog.
d)While shopping in Kirkland one Christmas, Gabe stole his parking spot and then grabbed the last Tickle Me Elmo for his kid.
This comment was edited on Sep 19, 21:58.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Computer repost from last night Sep 19, 2007, 15:23 Fang

Plug nothing in and see if PSU fires up.
Plug 1 thing in.
Plug SOMETHING ELSE but still 1 thing in.
Plug in 1 drive.
Plug in all drives.
Plug in ONLY the MB.

When I first build a machine, I never connect any drive/card until I verify the CPU/MB can post with the power supply.

Also, from my understanding of modern PSUs (the ATX design) the PSU cannot fire up all the way unless it has the MB there to complete a circuit. Then if it doesn't, then you don't know if its the MB screwing up the circuit, the CPU screwing the MB up to not complete the circuit, or just a bad PSU.

So, I see as step one in building a computer: plug in your MB and PSU and nothing else. If it doesn't post, no fans, etc. then you either have a bad CPU, a bad MB or a bad PSU, and there is really nothing you can do to tell which one is really bad, without swapping out parts.

Which is fine not knowing, if like you said, you feel that all the items need to work together from the same place you bought it, and you would just return them all.

If you got all of the above, but it didn't post, then I would have sent back the PSU and the MB. Espicially from the same place - the items need to work together.

Now, had you bought from 2 different places, you would have had a harder time doing so.

In my case, I did buy from two places, which is why I worked hard to try to figure it out. I had bought a specialty PSU that was near silent. And like I said, I even had it tested at a computer repair shop with a simple PSU tester, and I was told it was fine. They didn't plug it into a MB, otherwise they would have seen that it didn't work. It was a free test, so I can't complain.

I ended up ordering another power supply because it was the cheapest part to try to swap out, but I did it knowing that I could be wrong and it was really the MB that was dead. Luckily for me, I was right, and a new PSU got the machine up and running.
This comment was edited on Sep 19, 15:25.

16. Re: Computer repost from last night Sep 19, 2007, 14:41 Fang

If you know what you are doing - it is easy to figure it out.

Really? If the machine fails to post, how can you determine if the problem is the CPU, MB or power supply without additional hardware?

Sure, if the CPU/case fans turn on, it would seem that the power supply is fine, but I just had a power supply check out okay even with one of those "power supply testers", but it really was bad and couldn't drive the motherboard. And if the CPU/case fans don't turn on, that doesn't mean the CPU isn't really bad and screwing up the motherboard where it can't even drive the CPU fan. And if your motherboard is bad, then your entire system can be screwy depending on what exact circuit is broken on the MB.

Memory sticks are easy to diagnose... if the machine can post.

I'm not saying that it can't be figured out, I'm just saying I haven't figured out a way to do it without getting additional hardware to test the other parts with. I don't know about you, but when I build a new machine I usually don't have extra compatible parts laying around due to my budget.

So if you have some tricks where you can tell without a shadow of a doubt which part is bad (CPU,MB or PS) before you RMA it back to Newegg, I'd really appreciate it. Or do you just RMA the whole lot back to them and reorder the entire thing?

11. Re: Computer repost from last night Sep 19, 2007, 12:27 Fang

Thanks for the tips guys, keep them coming!

How about this tip, take the ~$1600 and buy a 65" 1080p DLP HDTV. Plug in a new, non-crashing 360 and game away with Bioshock and Halo 3.

Just kidding. But remember my advice when you plug in your power supply, MB, CPU and memory and the machine fails to post, and you start grumbling under your breath... good luck finding the part that is bad... Yes, I just built a computer myself, turned out it was a bad power supply. That's the only part about building computers that I absolutely hate, not knowing what of those core parts is fubar'd without having to go out and buy and replace parts at random. And that doesn't help when I'm building it at 1 AM.

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Beta Live
116. Re: ... Sep 19, 2007, 09:55 Fang

Demos are not full products.
Betas often are.
This is.

He wouldn't know that, since he never plays Valves games... or would never admit to it.

Has anyone been able to figure out what Valve competitor that Riley works for yet?

News Comments > Into the Black
9. Re: Computer taking shape, I think.... Sep 19, 2007, 09:38 Fang

So you decided to go with 4GB instead of 3? I assume just to play it safe, or for future expansion?

It's nothing big since they are so cheap, but two DVD burners? Needing to archive lots of stuff?

I've started trying to make computers as quiet as I can, so my preference would be to take out any extra component and use case fan controllers to lower their speeds as much as possible. But that's just me.

22. Re: No subject Sep 18, 2007, 22:49 Fang

Also - with a 3GB memory limit with 32-bit OS, is there any problem with getting two 1GB and two 512MB memory chips and installing them on the same board? I assume no, but just checking..

Yes there is a problem.

Actually, from the link that you posted, it says that its fine for dual channel mode...

If the motherboard has two pairs of differently coloured DIMM sockets (the colours indicate which bank they belong to, bank 0 or bank 1), then one can place a matched pair of memory modules in bank 0, but a different-capacity pair of modules in bank 1, as long as they are of the same speed. Using this scheme, a pair of 1 GiB memory modules in bank 0 and a pair of matched 512 MiB modules in bank 1 would be acceptable for dual-channel operation.

News Comments > Into the Black
1. No subject Sep 18, 2007, 22:14 Fang

Isn't that a Nintendo Wii Southwest Ad Spoof? Sure, it doesn't look like their controllers, but I didn't think the PS3 had that kind of game functionality, just Wii Sports Baseball.

I assume they changed the look of the controllers so they wouldn't get sued by Nintendo.

4. Re: No subject Sep 18, 2007, 12:20 Fang

What? Do they run around in the nude, 24-7? Hell, put a web cam up and charge admission.

No, that's Blue who's running around in the nude. Hey, why do you think he works from home?

News Comments > TF2 Announcement Next Week
35. Re: Back in the day Sep 8, 2007, 18:01 Fang

SPAZBALL!!

I loved that map.

8. Re: Help Wanted Aug 29, 2007, 13:08 Fang

I personally use True Image. One of the more popular software solutions. It's not freeware, but it has most of the features that you are looking for.

8. Re: PS3 back to $600??? Jul 13, 2007, 19:38 Fang

SCEA would not be drawn on whether or not there would be 60Gig versions on the market this Holiday season.

Right, they couldn't answer that because they don't know if they will sell out of the 60Gig before the Holiday season. If they do, then no, there won't be any, since they are out of production. If they still don't sell many at $500, then they'll be on the store shelves for a very long time...

1079 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo