Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Fang

Real Name Fang   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Fang
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 19, 2000, 18:39
Total Comments 1079 (Pro)
User ID 6315

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > OnLive Console with Homefront Preorders
6. Re: OnLive Console with Homefront Preorders Feb 26, 2011, 18:39 Fang

There are millions in the US with FIOS. If you don't have it, well, it sucks to be you. I'm loving my rock solid 25/25 mbps connection.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Bungie MMO Shooter Rumor
1. Re: Bungie MMO Shooter Rumor Feb 17, 2011, 10:23 Fang

Ordered, encouraged, it's all a question of semantics.  

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Feb 16, 2011, 21:38 Fang

edit: Fixed

This comment was edited on Feb 17, 2011, 07:56.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2011, 14:19 Fang

I would like to thank you for using the phrase "raises the question" instead of the now ubiquitous and incorrect use of "begs the question".

Sir, I commend your use of the English language.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Well, that should come out to about Feb 8, 2011, 21:25 Fang

They are probably thinking of competing with the PSP. Sony's going to try to converge the devices in their next gen phone/psp, so there will be an effort to give these things decent controls.

As for latency, I can't imagine that they would do anything other than wifi. But Onlive with wifi right now isn't too bad. Not amazing, but playable.

News Comments > Op Ed
18. Re: Irreversible Consequences Jan 13, 2011, 23:56 Fang

All the rogue-like games are good examples, too, where dying is kind of the point. It's all about how far you can get. Since items are so random and since games are so short you never really feel bad about losing progress. Since it was about the exploration, not the planning, it's all good.

Ah, I remember the rogue games. I played Moria intensively back in the day. Heh, I used to play with the polymorphism wand in town a lot until one day I ended up with a "D". Never has a single character struck as much fear.

I actually jury-rigged a save game system, with a DOS batch file so that it would make copies of my saved game before I played, in case I died. That was before I discovered wizard mode.

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Jan 13, 2011, 14:53 Fang

Ah, so say the spoiled gamers.  

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Jan 10, 2011, 22:44 Fang

Old soldiers never die, they just fade away.

R.I.P. Major Winters

News Comments > OnLive TV Impressions
19. Re: OnLive TV Impressions Jan 6, 2011, 18:10 Fang

LOL, you're joking right?

So they improved something that was what, maybe 5% of the overall latency to begin with?

Beamer's analysis is correct. Though input latency isn't a small percent of overall latency. Here are some more articles that can help you get a better understanding of the subject:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-lag-factor-article

http://gamedeveloper.texterity.com/gamedeveloper/201011?pg=46#pg46

Mick West's original article:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3725/measuring_responsiveness_in_video_.php
-Supposedly very influential at Infinity Ward.

What has been termed "controller" latency (the time it takes from when you hit a button to seeing the action on the screen) is caused by many factors.

In those articles, controller latency measurements have ranged from 67-200ms in popular games. GTA IV ranges from 133-200ms as a worst case. Factors that affect this are tv input latency, vsync, game engine (probably the most important).

Onlive's system will inject 20-30 ms for those who live close to a server. Built in to TV's, they should be able to remove the same amount via TV input latency.

That's just a pure technical analysis.

News Comments > Op Ed
21. Re: Op Ed Jan 2, 2011, 13:41 Fang

Thank you, Bhruic. Finally, someone who understands my point.

I agree with you, and let me answer one of your questions.

At which point I've done all the research myself, and what good has he done?

I would say that he gave you a thread to follow. If he hadn't mentioned it, you wouldn't have known what questions to ask. In science and many other fields, many times, the hard part is knowing what questions to ask.

Which means that the master spinner is the one who knows how to get you to ask questions that lead you to the conclusion they want you to have, but that's a whole other topic.

News Comments > Op Ed
20. Re: Op Ed Jan 2, 2011, 13:37 Fang

no i have no problem with the dictionary.. im responding to you personally

Well, clearly you don't know how dictionaries work. So that's the best I can help you. If you can't grasp how individual definitions work out of a dictionary, not much I can do for you.

News Comments > Op Ed
17. Re: how many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center Jan 2, 2011, 03:48 Fang

Fine, you don't like how the English language uses the word "fact". I'm sorry. You should write those dictionary guys and get them to change it.  

News Comments > Op Ed
15. Re: Op Ed Jan 2, 2011, 03:33 Fang

Oddly enough I was going to levy the same complaint at you...

Note the progression of this thread. I've only tried to make it clear that I'm not arguing with you. Just trying to help you understand what I meant since you took it out to be some "HUFF PUFF I DON'T LIEK THESE FACTS".

Ah, I see now, you thought that I thought that you said "HUFF PUFF I DON'T LIEK THESE FACTS". Not at all. Trust me, I understand what you are saying, but you are missing my point. It is a very very simple point. I understand completely and am not arguing with you at all about his opinion being invalid. ALL I am saying is that he still presents facts, that are a separate entity from his opinion. Therefore there is still value in what he presents, solely in the a testament of the facts.

And I will reiterate that I don't think that you think he is misrepresenting the facts. All that verification of facts stuff was just me trying to be complete, and thus confuse the issue.

This comment was edited on Jan 2, 2011, 03:46.

News Comments > Op Ed
14. Re: stop cherry picking definitions Jan 2, 2011, 03:28 Fang

Definition of FACT:

fact
/fækt/ Show Spelled[fakt] Show IPA
–noun
something that actually exists; reality; truth: Your fears have no basis in fact.
something known to exist or to have happened: Space travel is now a fact.
a truth known by actual experience or observation; something known to be true: Scientists gather facts about plant growth.
something said to be true or supposed to have happened: The facts given by the witness are highly questionable.
Law . Often, facts. an actual or alleged event or circumstance, as distinguished from its legal effect or consequence. Compare question of fact, question of law.

Since you don't quite understand how these definitions work, these are all considered equally valid uses of the word "fact". I would like to highlight definition 4. The way these dictionaries work, you can use the word by any of these definitions.

Ah, it's like competing in the Olympics.

This comment was edited on Jan 2, 2011, 03:35.

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Jan 2, 2011, 01:33 Fang

no they cant

Sigh, he complained about the usage of an aspect of the english language (or however the hell you want to phrase his comment), I pointed to the dictionary for the proper use of the word "facts" and if you don't like it, go complain to the guys who write the dictionary, not me.

Nope.

I was just pointing out that his opinion isn't likely worth much. Just as the opinion of the chief medical officer of Philip Morris, even if he citing true facts and solid research, isn't likely to carry much weight in a debate concerning the healthiness of cigarettes.

Christ, fine, you don't like how I rephrased you then how's this: you pointed out that his opinion wasn't worth much, so I said, then ignore his opinion, and focus on the facts. Is that really that difficult?

Christ, everything has to be an argument with you guys. Oh wait, I forgot where I am. Nevermind, you win. I was wrong you were right.

I know this is going to start a huge thread about the validity of this statement, but I'd like to also state that the sky is blue.

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Jan 1, 2011, 05:23 Fang

Yes, facts can be untrue:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/facts

Definition 4:
something said to be true or supposed to have happened: The facts given by the witness are highly questionable.

Other than that, I think you have misconstrued my comment. I don't doubt that you have no doubts about the facts of the article, my aside about Fox News, was just that, an aside. My point still is the same, you complained about the validity of his opinion, and I replied with a "then ignore his opinion, focus on the facts."

Like Beamer so eloquently put it a few days ago on another topic, ignore the spin, focus on the facts. It doesn't matter if we agree with the opinion, we still should focus on verified facts.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: ONLY 4 MORE YEARS.... Jan 1, 2011, 05:11 Fang

Happy New Year, everyone.

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Dec 31, 2010, 16:52 Fang

Then ignore his opinion and just focus on the facts. Of course, you have to verify if the facts he presents are true, but facts are facts. Unless you are on Fox News that is.

an unprecedented 82 social scientists, medical scientists and media scholars felt so strongly about Yee's law that they filed their own brief with the Supreme Court. Their conclusion: it was based on "profoundly flawed research."

That's a statement of fact, whether true or untrue.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
44. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 23, 2010, 14:22 Fang

Can you point me to a full-array LED that doesn't have 3D? Vizio was the last one that I know that made one without 3D, but they just started phasing those out at Thanksgiving. I don't think one exists without that feature.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
41. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 23, 2010, 00:22 Fang

You know what, I want a 3D TV. The arguments about 3D standardization are nonsensical since 3D bluray players are standardized. The only thing not standardized are the glasses. And do you really need to be able to move your glasses from one TV to another?

It will take a long while before the non-glasses TVs reach our market at anything larger than 14 inches. By then, you'll need to buy a new TV again.

I'm about to buy a 55" tv, and you better believe I'm going to make sure it has 3D in it. Of course, I'm also making sure that it's a full-array, local dimming LED (none of this edge-lit crap, and local dimming edge-lit is still inferior).

Will I wear my glasses while watching broadcast TV? Of course not. I don't even subscribe to cable, I just use my TV for watching movies.

For those that say you won't buy a 3D tv (like all those here who said they would never buy a game on Steam), does that mean you refuse to buy the best picture quality TVs because of an extra feature that it has? I haven't seen anyone respond to the previous challenge of finding a high PQ HDTV that doesn't have 3D built into it.

1079 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo