Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Fang

Real Name Fang   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Fang
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 19, 2000, 18:39
Total Comments 1079 (Pro)
User ID 6315

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
21. Re: Keyboard+mouse Vs Gamepad Dec 29, 2007, 00:53 Fang

Yes, games designed for gamepads will use aim assistance to bridge the gap. Most console games have it really worked out well by now, where you don't even notice it anymore, but its there.

To see how well he compares to a mouse player, hook up a 360 controller to Windows and put him on a Counter Strike server.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Sale
22. Re: Don't buy from Steam Dec 26, 2007, 10:27 Fang

Wow, those playusa.com prices are really high.

It's not even cheaper than in stores in the US, much less Amazon prices.

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Age Matching? Simple - Stopping Abu Dec 12, 2007, 11:00 Fang

Yeah, but they'll end up getting reported by someone in the game, and their account banned.

28. Re: No subject Nov 29, 2007, 03:02 Fang

Sorry, I tried all those tips and none of them worked. And unfortunately, the talk about the firmware fixing the problem was posted last year. Given that it isn't out now, well, I'm not holding my breath.

That's probably why tips on how to convert the ActionTec to a bridge is listed on the front page of the DSL Reports FIOS forum. That's probably what you'll have to do if you want to use another router. I don't know if that will let you still get FiosTV.

I haven't pulled the trigger for FiosTV yet, since I've been waiting to see how this falls out. I'll probably just sign up with RCN HD now, and replace the router.
This comment was edited on Nov 29, 03:02.

25. Re: No subject Nov 28, 2007, 23:36 Fang

Watch out with bittorrent, too. You'll have to disable DHT (in the options menu) and ip resolutions (right click on a resolved ip) if you are using utorrent/bittorrent.

23. Re: No subject Nov 28, 2007, 22:10 Fang

I'm running the same firmware, but I'm running hardware version 5A.

Also, in that link, its the second picture farther down the page in Fig. 1 for the older hardware.

Yeah, let me know if version C solves the problems with Steam. It's also a problem with bittorrent.

21. Re: No subject Nov 28, 2007, 17:16 Fang

From other forums, I've heard Verizon is pretty good about replacing the router if you have a problem with it. Though I don't want to waste my time doing it, if its not going to solve the problem.

I noticed that ActionTec did release a newer revision of the router than the one that I have, with a spiffy new housing. But I'd like to find out if this solves the problem before I take the time to swap it out.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/30022/51/

I have the old housing from that review. Since you just got it, kanniballl, I assume you have the newer one.

16. Re: No subject Nov 28, 2007, 14:12 Fang

Yeah, port forwarding or DMZ won't solve this problem with ActionTec MI424WR routers. It's a "feature" that has been programmed into the router's OS that you can't change. It's billed as "flood protection" but my guess is that it's there to cover up a mistake in the hardware design.

With kanniballl's success, I'm hoping that a new revision came out that they are now deploying that solves the problem.

Yes, I could replace it with my own router (I do have a Linksys WRT54G running DDWRT gathering dust on a shelf) but you can't replace it if you also get FiosTV.

12. Re: No subject Nov 28, 2007, 12:57 Fang

Hey, kanniballl, can you check your FIOS router's model and revision number for me?

I'd like to compare it with mine to see if there is a difference to try to solve this Steam problem.

I downloaded a new firmware last night, and it now allows me to get ~2300 servers in the browser before crapping out.

16. Re: FIOS Nov 27, 2007, 03:03 Fang

It is built in flood protection and there is no option to turn it off. I am running the latest firmware for my model.

I wonder if they released a new version of this ActionTec router. I wonder if the "flood protection" was really to compensate for a hardware flaw in certain versions of the ActionTec. Let me confirm that you are using the MI424WR model of the ActionTec.

I can try the optimizer, but since its seems to be a flaw with the router itself, I doubt it will help.

7. Re: FIOS Nov 26, 2007, 14:58 Fang

All those with FIOS, did you get the ActionTec Wireless router?

If you did, do you have trouble with bittorrent or game browsers (Steam or Xfire)?

It seems that if the router makes 500+ connections (games listed in a browser count as a connection) then it completely shuts down the internet connection for 2-3 minutes.

It's been a real pain for those buying FIOS for CounterStrike and TF2. You have to replace the router, which you can't do if you are going to be getting FiosTV, also.

8. Re: No subject Nov 6, 2007, 15:15 Fang

Farmers actually hate DST.

DST wasn't started until well past the Industrial Revolution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_savings_time#Origin

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty 4
14. Re: ... Nov 6, 2007, 14:45 Fang

Anyone know if there is a game browser on Xbox Live, or is it like Halo where you can only play gametypes that the developers want you to play?

2. Re: Patriots vs Colts Nov 4, 2007, 18:06 Fang

Oh, and it seems that pass interference can only be called on the Patriots... The Colts can do whatever.

1. Patriots vs Colts Nov 4, 2007, 17:51 Fang

It's halftime, and I think the Patriots are going to have a tough time beating the Colts and the Refs.

It's a good thing the Colts have the refs with those "pass interference" calls, since they don't have Harrison. Colts tackling the defender = defensive pass interference, and field goals.

News Comments > Child's Play
5. Re: Good luck to them Nov 3, 2007, 07:57 Fang

I take it you are not an American. Or at least not that educated about the US.

There are plenty of poor locations listed on that map. They even have two sites listed in New Orleans.

It's all about helping kids who are sick, usually from cancer. Hospitals do plenty of charity work, especially for poor kids who need cancer treatment.

10. Re: No subject Oct 29, 2007, 17:08 Fang

No reason to run the score up like they did.

Did you see the Patriots-Colts game in last year playoffs? Biggest come back in playoff history. So I'm sure the Patriots know they can never let their guard down. The Redskins are a pretty good team.

Also, for the second string players, they know they have to play well if they want to get a chance at a starting job. So when you see the second string guys still trying to score, they are just trying to do their jobs.

This comment was edited on Oct 29, 17:08.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
9. Re: Ok it's official... Oct 26, 2007, 16:31 Fang

Half Elf, you have a nihilistic view of the criteria of "fun" game design.

Let me point out what you really said:
I no longer have any respect for Will Wright. When you quit making games that I don't find fun and instead opt to make games the vast majority of everyone else finds fun.... I'm extremely disappointed.

Bubicus's writeup points that out nicely. You're in that 100,000.

9. Re: And then there is this: Oct 15, 2007, 14:30 Fang

Does affirmative action work?

No.

Do you know what's Harvard idea of diversity is?

The rich, white son of a West Virginian doctor rooming with the rich, white son of a Californian lawyer.

The vast majority of beneficiaries of "affirmative action" are white:
http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2007/09/28/at_the_elite_colleges___dim_white_kids/

People want a level playing field, but getting rid of race-based preferences won't get us much closer. People have talked about having a class-based preference, but little do they realize that there is already one in place, except it benefits the top classes.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Half-Life 2: The Orange Box
46. Re: No subject Oct 10, 2007, 15:02 Fang

Ugh, I have no time to play video games at the moment. And I've been waiting for TF2 since Quake TF.

1079 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo