Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Fang

Real Name Fang   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Fang
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 19, 2000, 18:39
Total Comments 1079 (Pro)
User ID 6315

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
23. Re: No subject May 22, 2008, 17:29 Fang

You are naive if you think a divorce will save you money. It will cost you far, far more than you ever think you will save.

A recent study showed that a great predictor of a lasting marriage is how nice/mean a couple was to each other when they fought. So if you haven't learned on how to argue with your spouse, you should look into it. There are some basic ground rules that you can start on.

Because while it may seem that there are other fish in the sea, if you don't know how to maintain a relationship, those will fail also. And being alone will get depressing.

In terms of physical intimacy frequency, surveys have also shown that you have a much higher frequency if you are married than if you have to try to go out and meet someone at a bar all the time.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
10. Re: No subject May 20, 2008, 14:39 Fang

Well, reading other reviews for Haze, and it seems that IGN is reflecting the early reviews of the game. 56% average on metacritic with 3 reviews. When you get that low, what's 11 points?

21. Driving May 16, 2008, 16:13 Fang

Blue,

With all your near misses, maybe its not everyone else, but you. I know you mentioned that you recently started driving. Your inexperience may be the driving factor here.

There is a reason why most accidents occur to those between the ages of 16-20. Sure, there is a propensity for speed among young males, but this includes young females, too. The common demoninator is the lack of experience.

My guess is that as you get more experience you will learn what to expect from other drivers before it becomes a problem or a near accident. It's really about becoming a defensive driver, and not just learning the rules of the road.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defensive_driving

Just tossing that out there. I drive in downtown Boston a lot. That's a great place to hone up on your defensive driving skills

News Comments > Op Ed
19. Re: No subject May 4, 2008, 15:10 Fang

The highest res that you can do on consoles is either 720p (1280x720) or 1080p (1920x1080) and pseudo (like Halo 3) resolutions in-between.

Just a minor correction, Halo 3 doesn't run in between 720p and 1080p, its resolution is technically 640p. Albeit with a double frame buffer to handle the lighting, but the actual resolution is 1152x640, and it is just scaled to HDTV resolutions.

http://www.bungie.net/news/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=12821

That may be what you meant, but just clarifying it for others.

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Patch, Free Weekend Underway
23. Re: No subject May 3, 2008, 02:14 Fang

So Jason, how is that Dirty Harry game coming along?

Or has that been put on the backburner?

14. Who is >U/Riley? Apr 28, 2008, 13:18 Fang

Most of Blue's News readers have probably come across >U/Riley Pizt rants against Valve by now. Most have just assumed its some random internet fanboy, but its actually an industry veteran that has decided to anonymously post anti-Valve screeds.

I submit that Riley/>U is actually Jason Hall, founder of Monolith. He became a Senior VP at Warner Bros IE, and then turned around and had WBIE purchase Monolith.

While my supporting evidence is circumstantial, I believe it makes a compelling case:
1) No matter what you think of his rantings on Valve, he knows quite a bit about the gaming industry. It's safe to say that he is an industry veteran.
2) >U has revealed that he "works" for Monolith. In previous threads, he has given out CD keys for F.E.A.R. As a General Manager at WBIE, he would be in the position to do this.
3) He's revealed that he knows Samantha Ryan, the current CEO of Monolith. Before he edited his post, it sounded like she was a subordinate to him. Unfortunately, this most compelling piece of evidence is gone since he edited his post.
4) If you read his threads, he never has to prove himself to anyone because as an industry heavyweight, he has the internal confidence so that he does not have to.
5) Compare >U threads to written interviews with Jason Hall. You'll notice they both have similar styles. (I admit, this could be coincindental).

I wonder if this feud (albeit one-sided) has anything to do with the Valve/Vivendi lawsuit that Valve won. Was there a close friend of Jason's that got burned in that lawsuit? There is nothing like a lawsuit to create some long-standing bad blood.

So next time you try to argue with him, realize two things: One, he's accomplished a lot more in the game industry than you have, and two, there is more to this story that we haven't learned about yet.

I'd really be interested if a gaming journalist would do some digging and try to shed more light on this.

The questions that I have are:
1) Why stay anonymous? If his criticisms are legitimate, then why doesn't he stand behind his arguments publically?
2) Why the bad blood? Has Valve done something to Jason or his friends?
3) Has anyone else found evidence in >U posts that reveals more about his identity?

14. Ubuntu Released Apr 24, 2008, 13:15 Fang

I'm surprised Ubuntu's release today wasn't mentioned in a Morning Tech Bits. Since it's a major release.

For those wanting to try out Ubuntu, here's the Window's installer:
http://wubi-installer.org/

Wubi is an officially supported Ubuntu installer for Windows users that can bring you to the Linux world with a single click. Wubi allows you to install and uninstall Ubuntu as any other Windows application, in a simple and safe way.

No CD's, no partitioning. It's just another Window's application.

However, the installer will try to download Ubuntu using regular http, which will be really slow since today is release day.

For the next few days it's advisable to use bittorrent to download the Ubuntu file first. Download it to the same directory as the Window's installer.
http://releases.ubuntu.com/8.04/ubuntu-8.04-desktop-i386.iso.torrent

This comment was edited on Apr 24, 13:16.

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: No subject Apr 21, 2008, 21:17 Fang

Yeah, PCMech has pretty outdated technical information.

When I installed Ubuntu, I never once had to open the command line, or edit any config files. I do have to admit I was using an off-the-shelf Dell. And I never once used apt-get. Why, when it comes with a nice GUI to install tons of free, supported software?

For the average person, who uses an off-the-shelf computers, Ubuntu should work off-the-shelf. If they custom build their own computers, well, they can probably edit config files.

From earlier today:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7358483.stm

Thursday's release of Ubuntu 8.04 will include the Windows installer (previously, you had to download it separately). No ISO's, no partitions. I find Ubuntu much more user friendly than Vista (okay, that's not saying too much.)

12. Fios Apr 15, 2008, 16:31 Fang

Blue, you don't have Fios in your area?

Good luck with the cable, but when Fios gets delivered, be sure to check that out. I have it, and its great.

News Comments > Op Ed
2. PCMech = Outdated Apr 15, 2008, 02:37 Fang

PCMech is quite outdated in its Linux criticisms. It's making quite a few assumptions about Linux and how people should use OS's that causes it to give pretty bad advice. Who uses just one OS?

He even says don't buy a Mac because you can't run your previous Windows programs. Was he hiding under a rock for the last couple of years when Apple switched to Intel chips? Many more people buy Apples now because they can use Boot Camp.

You don't need to make an ISO to install Linux. Wubi (http://wubi-installer.org/) allows you to install Linux through a Windows installer. No ISO or partitioning is needed. You can then dual boot into Linux when you need to.

So install Linux to get the thousands of free software programs through the easy to use Add Program interface in Ubuntu. It's much easier than searching the racks of Circuit City for that random piece of software you need. And it's free. It's digital delivery and it installs the software for you.

And his criticism of Wine? Except for games, VMware should be more than adequate for the average user. And its just as compatible as any other hardware configuration for Windows. But who wouldn't just dual boot with Windows.

To summarize his article:
1. You need to make an ISO to install Linux.
Outdated - Run the Windows installer (Wubi).
2. You can't run all the software being sold
Ubuntu's Add Program is easier to use and its free. Think Steam, except its free.
3. Wine doesn't work all the time.
Use VMware for your older software programs.
4. Your printer may not work.
Dual boot or use VMware, and use Linux for the free software that you need.

Of course, games are another matter, but he didn't even mention that issue.

13. Re: E-mails sent to bluesnews.com bounce Apr 7, 2008, 14:12 Fang

He probably has Network Solutions email. I have that also for my company, and it seems to be down at the moment.

15. Re: No subject Mar 29, 2008, 16:06 Fang

This shows that you shouldn't buy Creative cards if you don't want a crippled card in the future. Buy a Turtle Beach card instead.

It's much cheaper, sounds great, you save CPU cycles with an add-on card, and you're not wasting money on a Creative Labs card.

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Steam Mar 28, 2008, 16:13 Fang

Wow, I'm surprised this Steam article didn't get a rise out of Riley/>U. Maybe he's too busy trying to actually get some work done.

News Comments > The Byron Report Released
14. Re: No subject Mar 27, 2008, 13:34 Fang

Games are just a scape goat at the moment.

Yeah, but we have to give credit to the study's author for not making games a scapegoat. Unless we highlight and commend those who do a good job of actually showing the bias against video games then we are just going to get guys like Jack Thompson dominating the discussion.

And there's no harm in providing ratings for parents to decide as they see fit on what media they bring into their homes. /shrugs So, many parents have looked into M rated games, and decided they are fine for their kids to play. I think that indicates a problem with the people rating these games. They are placing too many teen games in the M category. If games aren't going to be rated properly, then the system loses its effectiveness.

This isn't about micromanaging your populous, its about making sure tools are there so they can make the decisions themselves.

Information isn't evil and education is the basis of democracy.

12. Re: No subject Mar 27, 2008, 13:13 Fang

So now we have to ban products because people don't read the labels?

No, it should be banned because its the modern day equivalent of snake oil. It's just a placebo and while I have nothing against placebo's, I have absolutely zero sympathy for people making money off of placebo's that can potentially cause harm.

Cough syrup is a great scam while it was going. It works as well as a jolly rancher, but it tastes "bad" so it must be more effective. But you can't overdose on a jolly rancher, so I would recommend those instead.
This comment was edited on Mar 27, 13:36.

11. Re: No subject Mar 27, 2008, 13:06 Fang

Yeah, completely sidestepping the parenting issues once again.

You should try reading the actual report. It's all about the "parenting issues". It's a surprising read, very fair and balanced.

It's main emphasis is about giving tools to parents so they can do their job. It's quite far from the "video games are evil" camp. Here's an excerpt:

The evidence on video games is discussed in Chapter 6. There are some possible negative effects of violent content in games, but these only become ‘harmful’ when children present other risk factors...

However, we need to approach unequivocal claims of direct causes with caution – there is a strong body of ethnographic research which argues that context and the characteristics of each child will mediate the effects of playing video games.

I don't know the state of the rating system in the UK, but if they don't have a similar rating system as compared to the US movie system, then I could see how it would recommend they create one.

As for the recommendation on software on the PC's, I can't fault them too much for a flawed technical approach when they aren't software engineers. But the underlying basis, of giving tools to parents so they can decide how they want to raise their own kids, I can agree with.

For example, as a parent, I would want to have the tools to prevent a 5 y.old from getting rickrolled into something like 2g1c or tub-g.

For those saying I shouldn't have these tools, who are you to tell me that I can't have control over what enters my home? Or have control over when I think my kids are ready to "cross the street" by themselves.

The proper technical solution isn't software, since its a hassle on the system and its easily defeated. However, OpenDNS's solution of DNS filtering is a much better approach and leaves the tools in the hands of individual consumers.
This comment was edited on Mar 27, 13:14.

News Comments > WoW Bot Battle
34. Re: No subject Mar 26, 2008, 14:33 Fang

Seriously? That means here in the US we have about 20 million innocent people locked up, this also presumes that the other 5 million are guilty as well, which can't be true if crimes are still being committed, right?

Obviously the numbers are made up, but your logic is flawed. It means that another 5 million need to be locked up, with the other 25 million who would be committing crimes if they were let out.

I don't necessarily agree with any of the assertions, or with the above statement, I'm just pointing out what you misunderstood.

14. Re: No subject Mar 25, 2008, 12:30 Fang

If you're wondering about strategies to use in Rainbow Six, you can always try:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox360/file/932240/47046

Rainbow Six games have always been about tactics and strategy, not running and gunning.

Also, what difficulty level do you have it set on? For most console games, I have it set on Hard/Veteran, but sometimes, you got to suck in the pride and set it on Normal.

Also, be sure to check out CoD4 if you haven't already played it on the PC. I thought the single player game was very well done, but I did have to knock it down a difficulty level at times.

Though it was released on the Xbox, you should also check out Chaos Theory. It was very well done, and the multiplayer side was very unique and ground breaking. (Mercs vs Spies). But you should have someone show you the ropes, or you'll spend a lot of time getting your neck snapped.

As for Frontlines, its not my cup of tea either. But I don't really like those Battlefield:MC control point type of games. They seem kind of pointless. Also, if you see their average review score on Metacritic (75), you'll know not too many people were impressed with it either. To save my time, I usually try to check out those with scores above 80.

17. Re: No subject Mar 24, 2008, 12:38 Fang

It's already been proven that CO2 does not cause temperature increases.

That's not what the article is saying. Yes, CO2 is an insulating gas, but the new data is giving evidence of a climate negative feedback to compensate for the increased warming instead of the assumed positive feedback the previous models had included.

In light of these negative feedback models, it also raises the question of the order of impact CO2 has compared to sun-related causes of temperature.

Neither of these points validate your statement.

1079 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo