Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Fang

Real Name Fang   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Fang
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 19, 2000, 18:39
Total Comments 1079 (Pro)
User ID 6315

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
15. Re: Too Human in 10 Hours - Jul 2, 2008, 01:27 Fang

Heh, and the funny thing was that it was written all at once, before any of them were published.

But I think you missed my sarcasm.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Bad article title Jul 2, 2008, 01:17 Fang

It doesn't look like the person who made the title of the joystiq article has very good reading comprehension skills. From the original article by the Pulitzer Prize winner:

I love GTA IV and I have no doubt that it is art, but an equal to "The Sopranos" or "The Godfather"?

13. Re: Too Human in 10 Hours - Jul 1, 2008, 17:04 Fang

And don't get me started on books!

Those Harry Potter novels... and LotR! Arg! I want one massive book please.

12. Re: Too Human in 10 Hours - Jul 1, 2008, 17:02 Fang

I grow weary of movies being designed with sequels in mind. Every movie should be completely standalone. Every story arc should be ended and every character element should be implemented as best it can be. None of this "Oh, we'll just add/finish that in the sequel" crap.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. #2 game Jul 1, 2008, 15:17 Fang

Hey, at 3:15 PM EST today, Gamespy stats has Unreal tournament ranked at #2 for most played games. Behind Half-Life and before Half-Life 2.

Of course, its because they have one server with 94,603 players on it. It's on a mod called Frenzy. It must be some mod.

http://archive.gamespy.com/stats/mods.asp?id=35&s=1

8. Re: Too Human in 10 Hours - Jul 1, 2008, 13:36 Fang

I'll vote with the author of the piece and call it a preview also. He does, since he's not playing the final release of the game. He's just playing a preview of the release.

Also, the preview actually made me more interested in the game, but that's probably because I never played Eternal Darkness.

14. Re: No subject Jun 30, 2008, 16:58 Fang

So, if each user is a simulator training your A.I., how does it remove the processing burden from the end user?

It's removing the higher level planning from the end user. Today's games don't have very much of it, because of CPU limitations.

The end user is still running the physics simulator (hopefully running much faster on the graphics card) and managing the game world. The point of this isn't to free up CPU cycles on the end user, because very little of it is being used for higher-order planning. It's to provide something that isn't being done (or only in a very limited fashion) right now.

You are now contradicting yourself from earlier, this is no-longer real time with regards to gameplay.

You only think this because you don't understand how reinforcement learning works.

The model-based controller in the helicopter is running in real time. In the same way, the software agents in the end-users game would be running in real time. Don't confuse the learning process with action process. The action process response from the central AI server (the "here are my observation what should I do") can occur very quickly, especially since the goal isn't to give a truly optimal answer, but instead a best guess given the current learning level. It's the equivalent of a database query. The learning process (which took a day with the helicopter example) is about generating a higher order plan that does something truly intelligent, like fly a helicopter upside, or respond to an ever changing tactical situation. This occurs in the central AI server farm, so it doesn't have to be done for each user. This is where you get all of your processing savings compared to the current inefficient design.

At first, the game's agents probably won't be that smart. But with 100,000 simulators, the central AI server would probably start giving very intelligent actions pretty quickly.

Kind of like the Folding/SETI@Home programs. The more systems you have, the faster you can solve the problem.

Think of it this way. Do you remember the Sony AIBO? The little robotic dog they made? Each dog, when it comes out of the box has a limited controller that is passable for what people expect. Kind of like today's games. Now if each of these dogs were networked with a central server, the central server can issue the policies for how it thinks the controller should behave. This occurs very quickly and with little overhead. It will take time for the actions to truly become intelligent, but the dogs will work, and the games will play. If you had 100,000 dogs working at the same time, it would happen very quickly.

Of course, there is a exploration vs exploitation tradeoff, but I won't get into that.

Since most single player games have already been designed to run with a multiplayer server, there really isn't that much more overhead you are adding to the user client. And unlike in a multiplayer game, you can continue to let the client handle the gameworld physics.

12. Re: No subject Jun 29, 2008, 22:34 Fang

And you prove my point about why you can't just hire some programmers to try to do this, and you need computer scientists.

You're comparing apples to oranges. You're trying to just scale old AI algorithms and assume the implementers would design it stupidly. That 10% would be mostly redundant for each user.

For example, how much processing power do you think it takes to have a computer fly a real helicopter upside down, and perform other acrobatic maneuvers that no human could possibly perform? It has been done, and its a lot less than you'd expect. It does take a day before hand to train it though in a simulator.

A proper design would have the centralized server (more like a server farm, no need to use expensive supercomputers like enahs suggests) taking inputs from all users and combining it to create a robust policy for specific observations that the client-based agents generate. Each additional user is actually a simulator to train the centralized AI. And a policy query to the central server farm would just be a database query.

As a computer scientist, this scenario would be amazing for me. Can you imagine having access to 100,000 simulators to train your algorithm? Eegads, right now I can only run 1 simulator at a time.

So in fact, more users will greatly increase the centralized AI's available processing power. Of course, it would have to be able to integrate the data these users generate, but the necessary server farm would be on the order of magnitude of a web server farm handling the same number of concurrent users.

If you don't quite understand this, I'd recommend taking a look into POMDPs and Policy Search by Dynamic Programming.

9. Re: No subject Jun 29, 2008, 16:38 Fang

The amount of processing power required for that would be huge.

Not if you design it correctly. It's possible to use linear dynamic programming to apply machine learning techniques.

One example of a leap forward in applied AI algorithms is with Bayesian spam filters. They can update their models very quickly and they work reasonably well once trained. Much better than the spam filters that came before them.

That's just an example, and there are plenty of cutting edge AI techniques that will scale very well, especially since the point of this would be to run a centralized learning system. No need to relearn for each user.

Obviously, you can't just hire more programmers to try to implement it; you'll have to hire true computer scientists to implement a next-gen AI solution.

7. Re: No subject Jun 29, 2008, 00:48 Fang

Worst idea ever?

I'm sure that's what people said about paying $15/month to play a MMO. Who would want to do that? That's paying $180/year to just play one game! Well, we know how well that worked out for Blizzard. Aren't they going bankrupt pretty soon?

If a developer was just running the same old AI code on a server, that would be silly. The point of this would be to be able to utilize another machine to be able to do next-gen AI. Currently, the user's CPU is getting hammered trying to handle the graphics and physics. Right now, there's a tradeoff on how much CPU you can dedicate to the AI without impacting framerate.

What if we could apply machine learning techniques to make the computer much more life-like? Or do you just prefer playing against the same dumb enemies?

Maybe paying $20 for a year subscription to a single player game with jaw-dropping AI (or however the business model turns out) is not something you would be interested in. To be honest, I'm not that interested in paying $15/month for a multiplayer game, no matter how massive it is. So I don't. However, many people do pay for WoW, and I'm sure there's a business model that would work for a subscription to a game AI server.

3. Re: No subject Jun 28, 2008, 13:33 Fang

I wonder how much bandwidth is needed to stream a gameplay screen (ie. DirectX output) to a user. Probably too much.

What if a developer created their single player game to run all their AI on developer run servers? It would put a serious cramp on piracy, as long as the AI servers don't get out into the wild.

Of course, users would be aware that that if the developer/publisher goes under, then the game no longer works. The company should probably sell it as a subscription service for a specified time period and price it accordingly.

Hrmm, this would kind of be like an MMO without the multiplayer aspect of it. I'd be curious to see the impact on sales to a developer like Crysis.

2. Re: Young/Old Jun 6, 2008, 23:10 Fang

This is a link to an article about an article about the study.

If you read the original article, it shows they have the numbers for 27+ the PS3 reversed. Here's is the update on IGN:

Update: Nielsen contacted IGN to let us know some of this data is incorrect. The Wii numbers remain unchanged, but in the 27+ demographic the 360 and PS3 numbers should be switched. This drastically changes the meaning of the data, revealing that the 360 receives the most use from all ages.

News Comments > Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Map Pack
5. Re: No subject Jun 4, 2008, 12:26 Fang

Anyone know if they will release the Xbox map pack for free now or at a later date?

News Comments > Battlefield 2142 Patch
12. Re: No subject May 30, 2008, 15:40 Fang

Wow, looking at those numbers, no wonder why >U/Riley is always so pissed at Valve. They have over 240x the number of players as his game (FEAR) does. 240 times!! I'd add the NOLF series, but it looks like FlatOut2 and Flight Simulator 2006 beat it out for the top 40 spots.

He's too busy writing screeds about Valve's evilness to make compelling games that stand the test of time.

8. Re: No subject May 27, 2008, 15:49 Fang

And supposedly, if someone recommends a game they own to you, it will be available for you to purchase.

However, about older "great" games still being available, the point is that they are considering games that both reviewers and customers have panned, games that score less than 65 on metacritic and have poor sales.

So if it does get recommended to you... you'll have to think hard if you trust your friend and his opinion.

News Comments > Tech Bits
3. Re: PS3 as Blu-ray player May 26, 2008, 14:26 Fang

Haha, the article made a sony fanboy get his panties in a twist and register for the first time just to flame Blue.

Relax, little kid. Those of us with cash and a high level of perfection for their home theater setup want to know details like these before spending the time and money.

For me, the second point is the most important point, since I really care about excessive ambient noise from my hardware. I've spent quite a bit to custom build my MythTV box to get almost no noise from it. I can assure you, that whatever Blu-Ray player I pick up will be one of the quietest.

Oh, and maybe you're too busy putting gas in your extra large SUV, but some of us care about the environment and if all other things are equal, will choose the lower power consumption option.

This comment was edited on May 26, 14:30.

38. Re: No subject May 23, 2008, 16:34 Fang

My personal guess would be a majority of the time the frequency is high to begin with and it lowers over time.

I guess my point earlier was that the driving factor for frequency is probably age, not as much marriage status. However, age and marriage status are correlated, so it's easy to mix up the causation.

Also, the pill is known to decrease desire, which may also explain why there is a reported uptick in desire for women in their 40's, when many stop taking it due to other more permanent birth control measures.

2. Re: Gaywood May 22, 2008, 23:47 Fang

Anyone have "straight" or a variant in their gamertag?

Microsoft has said that they would ban those also, if they found any.

27. Re: No subject May 22, 2008, 20:29 Fang

Poor Batman, he's just speaking from his own experience.

Just like all other aspects of a relationship, physical intimacy is something that you have to work on. Sure, the frequency changes as you go through life, but do you really think you'll be picking up lots of women when you're 40+ and hitting the bar scene? The average guy isn't.

This is one of the surveys that I'm referring to:
http://www.webmd.com/sex/news/20061031/world-sex-survey-reveals-surprises
Note the second bullet on the list of major findings.

There are other surveys (specifically focused on industrialized nations, if that's your concern) that have been conducted that also reaffirm this finding.

Here you go, from Durex:
http://marriage.about.com/cs/sexualstatistics/a/sexstatistics.htm
It's almost 2:1 for married vs. single.

This comment was edited on May 22, 20:45.

1079 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo