Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Fang

Real Name Fang   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Fang
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 19, 2000, 18:39
Total Comments 1079 (Pro)
User ID 6315

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Gun control Feb 27, 2009, 16:37 Fang

and you can bet more of them will come over the border from Mexico from our well armed neighbors in Juarez to restock their gangs.

It's the other way around. The US is the one that provides the guns to Mexico. Mexico has much more restrictive gun laws, so they just buy their assault rifles and machineguns from us.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/26/us/26borders.html

As for those claiming that banning machineguns would just result in them being bought on the black market, sure. But they have to be built somewhere. If they are banned here, then the manufacture of them would cease in the US (at least the civilian ones).

And it's much harder to try to smuggle in a shipment of AK47s from Russia than it is going to a bunch of local gun shows to acquire the firepower for the gang's next crime spree.

Just look at England. Most violent crime is with knives.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Weekend Sales Feb 24, 2009, 10:10 Fang

I'm in the same situation, Blue.

I've been considering using Google Apps Mail, which would basically point bluesnews.com email to be hosted through Google's email servers. You can access it through IMAP or POP, or the web-based interface (which of course looks like GMail). If you choose the paid account, there is a 99.9% uptime guarantee, but if you choose the free email, there are ads. I can't tell if there are only ads in the web-based interface, or if they appear in the message if you get it through pop.

Anyways, I haven't decided yet, though part of my concern is migrating to a exchange server in the future if we get bigger.

http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/business/index.html

1. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 20, 2009, 04:57 Fang

You're up late, Blue. Or early. Which is it?

News Comments > F.E.A.R. 2 on Steam
10. Re: F.E.A.R. 2 on Steam Feb 12, 2009, 22:51 Fang

You know he's reading this, wanting to say something. My guess is that he doesn't want to say something and have Valve decide they don't want to work with them anymore.  

News Comments > Left 4 Dead DLC Free
18. Re: Left 4 Dead DLC Free Feb 11, 2009, 16:58 Fang

Here's an interesting thought for our game developer forum lurkers:
In order to reduce resales through guys like GameStop, consider including a one-time use code for free DLC in all new purchases.

If you were going to give away the content for free, you might as well reduce the resell market.

Of course, if the plan was to charge for the DLC, an economic analysis should be done to see if the increase in new purchases outweighs the increase in DLC revenue.

Valve clearly thinks it does, even without tying it to a one time use code.

News Comments > On 2K Boston's Next Project
12. Re: On 2K Boston's Next Project Feb 3, 2009, 14:21 Fang

Can you share with us examples of games that you do love that came out this past year?

Games that only came out on the PC? Thanks, that will help us know what you mean and what you are looking for.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2009, 17:24 Fang

shul, and only you can stop it from continuing. Please contact your senator and send a check at the P.O. Box listed in the website in the video. Remember, only you and your money can keep another kitten from being tossed to the sharks.

It's the "Save Our Cats and Kittens Society" aka. SOCKS, Inc.
Their address is:
c/o The UPS Store
Jacksonville, FL

This comment was edited on Feb 2, 2009, 17:56.

News Comments > F.E.A.R.2: Project Origin Pre-Purchase
33. Re: F.E.A.R.2: Project Origin Pre-Purchase Jan 28, 2009, 16:40 Fang

Oh the irony. Where is >U/Riley Pitz now? After all his lambasting of Steam, now his Monolith is releasing their game on Steam. I wonder what he thinks of it all.

I meant to say, I wonder what his excuse is.

This comment was edited on Jan 28, 2009, 17:24.

News Comments > F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin Demo
19. Re: F.E.A.R. 2 Demo Jan 22, 2009, 14:00 Fang

It's just good corporate marketing.

I like how they have dribbled news slowly out each day, so they always have something out on the news sites.

Keeps the game in conversation. If the game is constantly talked about, it must be good, right?

48. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 20, 2009, 17:13 Fang

Hey two birds with one stone. At least it will also solve the Social Security issue.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 20, 2009, 04:17 Fang

Well, its back at $38.99 from Amazon. That's still the lowest around. It's $3/month.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 20, 2009, 04:16 Fang

They are usually $38.99 at Amazon. When it dropped to $30, it sold out from Amazon as a seller. They still have 3rd party sellers. When they restock it, who knows which price it will come back as. I doubt it was a mistake.  

News Comments > NY's Racist Games Bill
15. Re: NY's Racist Games Bill Jan 14, 2009, 00:29 Fang

Sure they have. Including this on. The only Wright in the NY state assembly is Keith L.T. Wright. Who is a democrat.

You missed my sarcasm. Historically, its the Democrats who propose these types of laws. It's their way of trying to appeal to the older crowd.

News Comments > NY's Racist Games Bill
6. Re: NY's Racist Games Bill Jan 13, 2009, 21:14 Fang

Oh yes, because we know that Democrats haven't ever proposed laws against video games...  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 6, 2009, 12:08 Fang

I was disappointed that the Apple laptop was just an Onion article.

I was expecting to finally see a new multi-touch screen laptop with a haptic on-screen keyboard.

Of course, the Onion knows that Apple will eventually release one, so they can point to this article to show how they can "predict" the future.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2008, 04:44 Fang

Get FIOS.

No bottlenecks because your neighbor is sucking all the bandwidth.

I've found it to be extremely reliable, with a consistent 20 Mbps downlink at any time of the day.

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Dec 14, 2008, 20:35 Fang

Everyone has rose colored glasses for their past.

It's like Christmas when you were little. When it's new, its exciting. It starts getting old hat, but then you become Santa Claus.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 10, 2008, 16:41 Fang

Costco has the Garmin 750 (one of the top models, best brand) for $199.

Garmin's are like Apple's, best products, easy to use, but they cost more. But for $199 with all those features, (text to speech, widescreen, etc.) its hard to argue.

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Dec 5, 2008, 15:57 Fang

I'm a long time MythTV user. For you, I would recommend it, but if you are building it for someone else, you may want to strongly consider a Vista system. Actually, you should strongly consider a TIVO for someone else.

Building a HTPC is not a cheaper option. It just gives you more freedom, and its a nice hobby. But unless you like tinkering with computers, usually people just want devices that just work at an affordable price. You don't want the PVR to crash at 10 PM one night and your sister missing her "must watch" show.

So build yourself a Myth box, and buy your friends and family a Tivo.

Personally, I prefer KnoppMyth, but Mythbuntu is pretty nice too. I have a single box with both frontend and backend under my TV. I spent a good amount making it silent. But I had another friend use a Mac mini for a silent frontend at his TV, with his backend server in another room.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2008, 14:36 Fang

I read the Metaverse and Legal Briefs all the time. In fact, it's part of the reason why I come to Blue's News every day, multiple times a day. My one stop on the intertubes where I can get all the information that I'm interested in (plus the NYTimes and WashPost).

With that said, I never read the Hardware Reviews anymore. I used to scan them, back when I built my own computers. But I don't have that kind of time anymore.

1079 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo