Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Fang

Real Name Fang   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Fang
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 19, 2000, 18:39
Total Comments 1079 (Pro)
User ID 6315

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 13, 2009, 21:46 Fang

"Modded Xbox 360s Jailbroken With 'Un-Ban' Hack?"

The answer is nope. From the article: "No ETA for fix, but modders are hard at work." ie. highly unlikely.

From the comments in the article:

"Also, a note to the author of this article, Matt Peckham. It's clear you don't know much about Xbox 360 modding. Once your Xbox 360 console is banned, there's no way to unban it. Unless....

-your console was banned from XBL before the Summer 09 System update

-you have a mod-chip that allows you to change the banned CPU key

-your Xbox 360 is compatible with the mod-chip

-you have a genuine, unbanned CPU key to swap your banned CPU key with

... which is very unlikely."

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Trek D-A-C November 17
7. Re: Star Trek D-A-C November 17 Nov 1, 2009, 23:24 Fang

Really? I've just read about Bridge Commander, and that looks pretty interesting, but I can't see where I can pick it up. It's not on GOG and a boxed copy is selling for a pretty penny. Anyone know if this is still being sold anywhere?  

News Comments > Legal Briefs
7. Re: RIAA: We Support Net Neutrality Oct 29, 2009, 16:09 Fang

Justified fear, JUSTIFIED FEARRRRRR!

There is a difference. If you don't think that the RIAA and MPAA isn't salivating at what their lobbying arm can do once the FCC claims this power, then think again. We've seen their efforts with such things as the broadcast flag and selective output control.

But I propose that there has to be a better way of implementing and enforcing net neutrality. The right thing the wrong way isn't what we want.

5. Re: RIAA: We Support Net Neutrality Oct 29, 2009, 03:34 Fang

Right, but what is forgotten in all this is what the EFF pointed out in their article. The same authority they claim to have to enforce net neutrality, they can use to enforce "decency standards" or "anti-file sharing".

Sure, we all support net neutrality, but is this the right way to do it? Through the FCC given their track record enforcing "decency standards"?

I think it's wise to pay attention to what the EFF says.

3. Re: RIAA: We Support Net Neutrality Oct 28, 2009, 15:08 Fang

He has:

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2009/09/net-neutrality-fcc-perils-and-promise

And if you don't know who the EFF is, well, you need to do some research.

News Comments > Infinity Ward on Modern Warfare 2's Length
32. Re: Infinity Ward on Modern Warfare 2's Length Oct 20, 2009, 22:20 Fang

So now that I'm older and on my own, I'm supposed to piss my money away because I don't have time to enjoy it?

No, now you don't want to piss your money away on games that you will never finish and never get to see the ending to.

The only necessary defense: Games used to be a lot longer.

Yes, and games used to consist of a bunch of levels lined end to end as you went on a key hunt. What changed? Engrossing cinematic scripted gameplay. If you want old school style of FPS play, go pick up Serious Sam.

This comment was edited on Oct 20, 2009, 22:20.

29. Re: Infinity Ward on Modern Warfare 2's Length Oct 20, 2009, 19:40 Fang

" I would much rather have a great shorter game, then some long & drawn out boring 20 hour game."

Something tells me you don't pay for these games yourself.

If you did you would value your dollar more.

Something tells me you don't have a high paying, time consuming job.

If you did, you would value your time more.

Do you want to know what else irritates me nowadays? These short novels they keep trying to push on us. Back in my day, novels were at least 1500 pages long. None of this 300 page crap. They are trying to skimp on us. Hey, if I pay my $25 for a hardcover, I better get at least 20 hours of words.

27. Re: Infinity Ward on Modern Warfare 2's Length Oct 20, 2009, 17:03 Fang

In action games anyway... RPGs and open-world games need to be longer, but I assume you would agree with that.

Absolutely.

It's not like we're talking Baldur's Gate or Morrowind, here...if you don't have time to finish a 20-hour game, maybe you should consider a medium designed for more casual play, like a DS or PSP.

or a COD game.

But don't blow smoke and tell me that it could only be six hours because you can't have that and a reasonable amount of play time when there are plenty of other great games out there that have already done it.

Ah, but this is a different genre. Specifically, the movie-like FPS.

Can you give me examples of an engrossing movie-like FPS that was 20 hours that had mainstream success? Don't say Deus Ex, because that's an RPG/FPS. I'm talking about games like Halflife, COD, and Halo. I can't think of any. You'll find that its more the exception rather than the rule.

It's easy to grab any old level, put a bunch of bad guys on it, and make the player get through an extra 10 of these to pad your time. But if you are scripting a movie-like experience, it takes a lot longer to generate gameplay experience.

I'd much rather play the 6 hours of plot, then go and play those "extra" levels on something like Terrorist Hunt or Spec Ops. And those extra levels better have coop, because there is no excuse.

20. Re: Infinity Ward on Modern Warfare 2's Length Oct 20, 2009, 15:43 Fang

Really? Because it is WRITTEN somewhere that you can only play a game for six hours, and then you have to move on?

How about you play the game, I dunno, ten days for two hours each, instead of three days for two hours each?

Because to get those extra 7 days, we get levels like the library in Halo. Filler levels just to pad the play time. If you're goal is to tell a compelling story there are time structures that you have to adhere to, to keep your audiences attention. There is a reason that movies are 90-120 minutes long.

If instead, you want to create a really long piece of work (a tv series, instead of a movie) then you have to focus on episodic content, where each consumed chunk has a hook (beginning, middle, end, cliffhanger, etc.)

Instead, what we've gotten in the past in the game industry is a 2 hour movie that's been blown up into 10 hours, just to give the audience their money's worth. Can you imagine if the Matrix was instead made as a 10 hour movie with nothing new added to the plot, and you could only see the ending if you sat through an extra 8 hours of fight scenes?

Just like cliffski said, games that we finish are few. The previous state of the games industry is like a movie industry that doesn't know how to edit and cut out the poor/boring scenes. Can you imagine never seeing the endings of movies because you walk out from boredom? How is that getting your money's worth?

Give me a compelling 6 hour game experience, or 2 hour movie experience, and then I'll go play Spec Ops or hunt for more achievements. Because that's what players really want, to be able to go through the game mechanics for another 14 hours, not to have follow a plot line for another 14 hours.

17. Re: Infinity Ward on Modern Warfare 2's Length Oct 20, 2009, 14:10 Fang

Why listen to your customers that pay for your games, that's just ridiculous.

Because they are. The ones that actually do pay for their games are the ones with full time jobs who don't have time to slog through a 20 hour game just to see the end of the story. Like cliffski said, I'd rather get my money's worth by actually being able to finish a game rather than have to slog through some extra boring levels just to see the end of the story.

If you want more play time, go back and earn the achievements. But I have more money than time, so don't make me invest 20 hours just to see how the story ends.

Gee, back in the day we used to bitch about a game being only 20 hours.

Yup, and back in your day, when you lived with your parents and went to school, you had more time than money.

I think this goes back to paying attention to what your actual PAYING customers want. Those that have more time than money, well, they're probably not paying anyways.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 15, 2009, 17:53 Fang

Why don't you just pick up Passover coke?

It's readily available each year, if you can't find a place that sells the Mexican coke or can't afford the trip south of the border.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2009, 14:18 Fang

and as far as we know, has been honored ever since (whew!).

Ah, but the Chinese satellite destruction in Jan 07 resulting in a huge field of space debris can be considered a violation of the spirit of Article IX of the treaty. Though the treaty only states that we have a right to request consultation about the planned activity. Of course, China kept it a secret until after the destruction of the satellite, so there wasn't much we could do to object and prevent the giant field of space debris from being created.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2009, 16:49 Fang

Top FPS brought tears to my eyes. I was on the edge of my seat.  

News Comments > Impulse Top 10
52. Re: Impulse Top 10 Oct 6, 2009, 21:41 Fang

I find it funny that Verno thinks that the current list is doctored. Why should he believe any numbers they release if he thinks they are a bunch of liars? If they are going to lie about the list, then any numbers they give can just as easily be faked, since they have no legal obligation to report accurate numbers of their own sales.

Okay, I'm ready for the ad hominem attacks directed at me.

News Comments > Impulse Top 10
19. Re: Impulse Top 10 Oct 6, 2009, 15:07 Fang

As an impartial observer, I declare the argument won by Dagok. Better luck next time, Verno.  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2009, 11:46 Fang

You can get real sugar soda every passover in most major supermarket, so I don't quite get the hype.

Plus, I really can't tell the difference in the tastes, and I can tell the difference between Coke and Pepsi.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
11. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 28, 2009, 01:37 Fang

I can't believe 13 million gamers with Steam accounts all signed up to play Peggle.

And the funny thing is, I do.

After I got my latest computer, my deluxe wireless mouse just wasn't that suited for FPS. So I have a 360 on my desk now, and all I use Steam for is Peggle now.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
8. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 27, 2009, 22:17 Fang

Publishing the numbers may just help developers understand that not only is the PC market not dying, but it's thriving.

Or the exact opposite. Have to see the numbers to know.

News Comments > On Sale
11. Re: On Sale Sep 13, 2009, 19:57 Fang

I also vote for a subpage for the "Still on Sale" section.

Of course if you had the programming resources, the perfect option would be a drop down list of "Still on Sale" when clicked or hovered.

But if you are trying to integrate with the current setup, maybe have the "Still on Sale" show up when you click to comment or share.

News Comments > Trades Я Us
2. Re: Trades &#1071; Us Sep 10, 2009, 10:49 Fang

They don't want to deal with the headache of people reselling games once they have the CD key, especially for those games that don't require the CD in the drive.

They'd have to keep track of which game requires the CD, and if it changes. They'd have to deal with customers complaining that their CD key is already in use. PC games are too non-uniform to accept trade ins.

1079 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo