Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Fang

Real Name Fang   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Fang
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 19, 2000, 18:39
Total Comments 1079 (Pro)
User ID 6315

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
1. Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 24, 2010, 17:33 Fang

Uhm, isn't this from last October? About 6 months ago.

I got this when I got my Droid last November. You have to use a car charger otherwise it sucks the batteries dry.

It's much better than my Garmin. While a little more difficult to use (Garmin has an EXCELLENT UI), the real time traffic information is a killer app. Crowd sourced traffic means it has much more details than the other traffic GPS units. I always use it even when I know where I'm going so I can see the traffic ahead of me.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Battlefield 2: MC Being Discontinued On Original Xbox. Apr 15, 2010, 03:26 Fang

Yeah, and PC multiplayer games don't ever get shutdown...

I hope you aren't trying to play Mercenaries 2 (PC) online.

/shrugs sure you can play PC games through a LAN, but you can do it with old Xbox games too.

News Comments > Legal Briefs
2. Re: Legal Briefs Apr 7, 2010, 21:29 Fang

Hrmm, I wonder if it's a Bungie/Microsoft reference. You think they are still pissed about the loss of Halo?  

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
16. Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 4, 2010, 00:09 Fang

/shrugs.

This is why I'm a Windows/Linux guy with an Android phone, while I buy Apple stock.

So please buy iPads, lots of them. I'll be happy with the HP Slate and my Apple stock.

News Comments > Modern Warfare 2 Q&A
5. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Q&A Apr 2, 2010, 23:48 Fang

which Bowling estimates only affected one percent of their user base.

Wow, I didn't think they would be that clueless. Either they are trying to spin it and are just lying through their teeth, or their in-game tracking tools really aren't that great. Of course, with their inability to at least clean up their leaderboards (which should be really really easy) and the continued amount of players in game with hacked consoles, I wouldn't be surprised if it weren't their lack of in-game tracking tools.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 30, 2010, 23:31 Fang

Interesting, huge discussion on the BFBC2 map release news, but none here for the MW2 map release.

Anyone getting this?

To be honest, I'm a MW2 player, and I decided not to get it.

News Comments > GameStop Used Game Lawsuit
56. Re: GameStop Used Game Lawsuit Mar 26, 2010, 16:18 Fang

Okay, I have more time. I'll try to be more explicit.

it was intended to show the applicability of first sale doctrine to "other industries"

Did you mean "other territories"? Not really what I was talking about in the first place. That case seems primarily concerned with resale rights related to importation.

Yes, also known as the import industry. You know, it's a little thing, but this global trade thing I hear is going to really take off. But yes, Import/Export is regarded as a separate industry.

But to be more explicit, here is an example of how a unanimous Supreme Court applied the first sale doctrine to the import industry. You stated that different industries should be treated differently, but when a "different" industry came up before the Court, they unanimously said no.

Until Congress makes an exception for an industry (like they did with the Computer Software Rental Amendments Act, which has to do with rentals, not sales) then I doubt the Supreme Court will change its mind. Though it's happened before.

43. Re: Let's burn down the libraries too! Mar 26, 2010, 13:50 Fang

My example might be terrible but not because of anything you posted.

No, and my post wasn't intended to make your example terrible. If you don't see the difference with physical media and access to a performance... But you clearly do now.

And if you don't see the relevance of my post, here's an excerpt to help you out:
The Supreme Court first adopted the first sale doctrine in the case of Bobbs-Merrill Co. v. Straus, 210 U.S. 339 (1908). In that case, the Supreme Court held that the exclusive right to sell copyrighted works only applied to the first sale of a copyrighted work. 210 U.S. 339, 349-350. While the copyright owner retained the underlying copyright to the expression fixed in the work, the copyright owner gave up his ability to control the fate of the work once it had been sold.

Sorry, I don't have time to spell things out for you, but it was intended to show the applicability of first sale doctrine to "other industries".

35. Re: Let's burn down the libraries too! Mar 26, 2010, 13:26 Fang

Your argument seems to be that consumers expect to be able to resell any copyrighted good with a physical transport method so thats what they should be allowed to do. I don't necessarily disagree with the sentiment behind that argument but I do believe that different industries based on copyrighted works need to be treated differently.

Sorry, Verno, but a unanimous Supreme Court disagrees with you:
http://www.bc.edu/bc_org/avp/law/st_org/iptf/headlines/content/1998040801.html

And that theater example is just terrible. If you can't see why, well, I don't have the time to help.

News Comments > PC & Xbox 360 Mouse
14. Re: PC & Xbox 360 Mouse Mar 22, 2010, 16:26 Fang

Too little too late

What do you mean too late? Xbox360 K/M adapters have been available for years. The major difference is here, they are selling the mouse that works directly with the Xbox, instead of selling an adapter for a mouse that you have to provide yourself.

News Comments > MW2 Stimulus Package Details
8. Re: MW2 Stimulus Package Details Mar 14, 2010, 21:41 Fang

I'm honestly more excited about Crash and Overgrown than the new maps. I don't particularly dislike MW2's maps, but, possibly just because of the nostalgia filter, the originals always seem a bit better. I hope they keep adding them back in.

I loved Crash in COD4, but I don't think it's going to work well in MW2. The problem is the weapon balance has changed and the map has too many choke points to deal with Danger Close Explosives. On team based gametypes, I'm already imagining the damage that can be done with a Launcher with OMA and DC perks.

Maybe they'll make it only have the same gametypes as Rust.

News Comments > OnLive Free Service Plans
14. Re: OnLive Free Service Plans Mar 13, 2010, 14:37 Fang

What? You said $5 per game to rent (your number NOT OnLive's). Well even at $10 per month, Gametap is cheaper than that.

I said $120 per YEAR. $5 * 24 games = $120. I'm not going to play 24 games in one month. I'm talking about my own gaming habits and how I consume entertainment. OnDemand is good for me. Those of us who are older with little kids and time consuming jobs means we have short times available to play that is spaced out over time. I'm not going to take a month and try to play through 24 games.

And yes, my unstated assertion was that it was new release games. Obviously, neither of us know what they will have so it's unreasonable to dismiss it until we see. My whole point is, that this pricing model COULD be appealing to someone like me if the rental price is low enough and they are offering new release games.

The whole point of OnLive is to play the latest games without having to upgrade your graphics card, etc. So it's not too far off to assume they will have new releases available for rent. If they don't, well, then I'm not interested. Just like I'm not interested in Gametap. Sure, I know I could play an old game for cheap, but I end up playing MW2 instead.

You make the assumption that game developers wouldn't be interested, but they may see it as an additional revenue source for those who wouldn't buy it otherwise. I usually don't pay $60 to own a 6 hour single player game. Heck, I don't even wait for it to drop to $20 to own it. (And no, I'm not a pirate, I'm a software dev. too). But $5 to rent a new release game, I'd be interested.

The only reason that new release console games are available for rent is due to the fact that the publishers can't stop it due to the right of first sale.

You have the mistaken assumption that Blockbuster is offering games for rent without game developers approval. That's not the case, Blockbuster even shares revenue with each rental with movie and game producers. It's part of the reason why they can't get their costs low enough to compete with Netflix (which doesn't offer game rentals).

No, they don't offer PC games to rent because of their view of piracy. The same reason why stores don't accept PC software for returns. OnLive can ease THEIR concerns for rental piracy, so they may be open to it.

10. Re: OnLive Free Service Plans Mar 13, 2010, 00:38 Fang

Then why the hell don't you use Gametap? It's only $10 a month, and you can play any game on the service during that month, not just one game.

1. It's a monthly recurring fee, even if I don't have time to game that month.
2. Gametap doesn't have new releases in the subscription model.
3. At $120/year for Gametap, my numbers I threw out look better, since that's renting 24 games in that time frame. I don't plan on playing that many games.

But again, I'm just tossing out a scenario were I would be interested in the pricing model. No one has a system out where you can rent PC games. I'm just saying that's something I would be interested in, especially since it's a part of the free service.

But if you are a hardcore gamer, and just have to own, that's fine. But I realize I only play one game at a time consistently. All others, I'll play for a few weeks and that's it. So I've effectively stopped buying more games. If they started renting them for a couple of bucks, they would see money from me that they wouldn't otherwise get.

3. Re: OnLive Free Service Plans Mar 12, 2010, 21:56 Fang

Actually, I'm more interested in this service for just game rentals. There are plenty of 10 hour single player games that I don't want to pay $50 for. I'm more than willing to pay $5 for 30 days for a game that I'm not going to play again. They haven't stated a rental price, so we'll have to see.  

News Comments > OnLive Launches in June: Monthly Fee Doesn't Include Games
86. Re: OnLive Launches in June: Monthly Fee Doesn't Include Games Mar 12, 2010, 11:52 Fang

The service would be worth it to me if the rental rates were low enough (like $5 for 30 days).

There are plenty of single players games that only last 10 hours that I'd rent for that much. And it would make sense economically.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what their final costs are.

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Mar 12, 2010, 11:07 Fang

I think the major problem is that these extra restrictions do not give the customers anything in return. I've mentioned my idea in the past, have all single player games connect to server farms (like AC2 does) and get something in return, such as increased game AI. So even if you pirate the game, the game is reduced to just dumb enemies.

A centralized AI can even be made into a learning system, so that each gamer will make the server farm smarter. Also, like Google has shown with their centralized voice recognition, spam recognition, and translation tools (all forms of AI), a centralized AI on a server farm can perform much better than previous locally based voice recognition tools.

Sure the cost of the server farm may be high, but game developers always complain about how much piracy costs them. Put those costs into the server farms and the developers may come out ahead (obviously a proper industry look at the business numbers is required, which is beyond the scope of an internet posting). But the numbers they claim with piracy, it shouldn't be hard to come out ahead.

Then the customer isn't just paying $50 for a legitimate copy of the software, but a license to use the central AI server farm. And customers have shown they are willing to pay for use of a game server, like WOW. (note: I'm not arguing for continued payments to use the server farm, I'm still talking about the one time cost to buy the software).

To the customer, right now, you have to connect to the central server, and all you get is the ability to play the game (which you already paid for). They really should get something more, something which pirates can't get.

54. Re: OnLive Launches in June: Monthly Fee Doesn't Include Games Mar 10, 2010, 21:18 Fang

Yeah! Who's going to pay 50 bucks for a game and then pay 15 bucks a month to keep playing it? That'll never catch on! Oh, wait...

Good point. If COD:MW came out as a MMOFPS, and this was the only subscription fee to pay, I'd sign on.

17. Re: OnLive Launches in June: Monthly Fee Doesn't Include Games Mar 10, 2010, 16:03 Fang

Where is that jerkoff from OnLive who used to post in all of these topics whiteknighting it? I have a huge smugface emoticon I want to reply with

No, the people here that "defended" it were only discussing the feasibility of the technology (especially for the millions of FIOS customers). Lots of people were crying about latency when they didn't understand the inherent latencies even in local systems.

Now about the business feasibility, we've all expressed skepticism about that.

News Comments > Valve's Mac Plans Announced
26. Re: Valve's Mac Plans Announced Mar 8, 2010, 16:01 Fang

I only started with assembly language on a Commodore 64. Machine language was too much

I call fake. Assembly language and machine language are effectively equivalent. One is just using mnemonics to represent the commands in HEX.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 23, 2010, 15:43 Fang

Microsoft Responds To Recent Xbox Live Drama.

Wow, I've seen the unedited version. They deserve to be banned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU0qWhJd2Wc

1079 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo