Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Fang

Real Name Fang   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Fang
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 19, 2000, 18:39
Total Comments 1079 (Pro)
User ID 6315

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > OnLive On, Live
47. Re: OnLive On, Live Jun 20, 2010, 21:30 Fang

Ah, what an idiot (see? I can do personal insults too) Read my comment again. System slowing DRM from a DEMO. It's like sleeping around, you sleep with a 100 different people, you're going to pick something up. You install 100 demos, you are going to pick something up, if not a 100 things. Maybe you trust every publisher out there, but I sure don't. Except for Sony of course, I trust them completely. It's not like they would ever install a rootkit on their customers.

Heck, they could market this as a $5/month system where demos are instant on and you don't have to worry about what else "extra" is going to be installed on your system when you don't even know if the game is worth it. If you like the game, then order the disc somewhere online or pick it up in store. In your case, probably Walmart.

Oh wait, do you "demo" the full game before you decide to buy? Then nevermind.

Hey, weren't you ranting about Steam back in the day? About how we never own anything and if they ever shut down, there go our games?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > OnLive On, Live
45. Re: But they're smart chimpanzees. Jun 20, 2010, 04:31 Fang

Heh, you obviously don't remember all the belly aching here when Steam was first getting off the ground. I predict it will be the same for OnLive.

As for my experience, I just got done playing through two demo sessions of Borderlands. There was no lag whatsoever for me. The funny thing was that as soon as I signed up for OnLive, my Xbox died on me. Ah, I kept hearing about this mystical RROD, but I had never seen it before. Well, no MW2 for me for awhile, but at least I can check out a bunch of demo's on OnLive while I wait for it to be fixed.

It was nice to be able to try out a demo instantly without downloading it. And it was nice not to have to worry about any system slowing DRM infecting my system from just a demo.

I haven't figured out which game to pick up with my free coupon.

News Comments > OnLive Launches Thursday, New Details
52. Re: OnLive Launches Thursday, New Details Jun 15, 2010, 16:59 Fang

Yes I'm ranking OnLive as the most expensive. You need a PC*, a fiber connection, the subscription fee, and you still have to buy the games.

You make a lot of assumptions there. People are going to have computers no matter what. The difference is a "standard" computer vs. a "gaming" computer. For those with work assigned computers and a fiber connection as a given (we'd have it even if I still built PCs, it's much cheaper to get fiber to use with Hulu and Netflix, than to subscribe to cable TV.)

For a large audience that just leaves the subscription fee. At $5/month? Come on.

50. Re: OnLive Launches Thursday, New Details Jun 15, 2010, 16:47 Fang

Superior how exactly? At best it's latency will be slightly worse than a console. You will always have server processing overhead and the transaction between server and client afterward with OnLive, no way to get around that. I doubt they are doing anything better than consoles with resolution and quality settings either.

You must have missed the earlier discussion when OnLive was first announced.

Here's an article that will help describe the input lag playing on a local console:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3725/measuring_responsiveness_in_video_.php

Here's a much more technical article on input lag in general:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2803

As you can see from the results in the first article, games like Halo and GTA have input lags of around ~167ms. If you have fiber, your round trip time to a close server is around ~8ms.

As you can see, ping times are really not that big of a factor when calculating how responsive a game feels.

Given the aging tech of today's consoles, it shouldn't be too hard to beat that input lag time with much faster processing capabilities. In fact, you need to be just 5% faster than a 360 and the ping time is taken care of. But the question is can you do it economically on a large scale? That's the question we are all waiting to find out. they are saying they can do it for $5/month. I guess we'll see.

48. Re: OnLive Launches Thursday, New Details Jun 15, 2010, 16:30 Fang

Yes, worry about the lack of hard-disk, which even if you want to buy later would cost lot more because of MS use of non-standard interface.

Your example didn't include a harddrive which for an ancient PC, they would probably really need to spend another $80. But Arcades do come with built in flash memory now, so no harddrive is needed to play the basic disc based game. But if your example is talking about minimal costs...

XBox live gold is $50/year, and that's pretty much needed for online games.

Not "pretty much needed", it "is needed" for multiplayer games. Xbox Live is always $39.99 for 12 months on Amazon, with sales dropping it to $35. That comes out to $2.92-$3.33/month.

And by the way, being too busy working with PC issues or obsessing about benchmarks are again problems that you could have avoided.

I did avoid it. I bought a console. Maybe this service will get me back into PC gaming, maybe it won't. It lowers my initial cost of testing the PC gaming waters, so I'll check it out.

45. Re: OnLive Launches Thursday, New Details Jun 15, 2010, 15:59 Fang

Oh, so your current computer is going to last 20 years? Let me know how that turns out.

Okay, I should have said the assigned work computer that I get. The point was the contrast in cost.

You can think about it for the 2-3 years (max!) that OnLive is around.

And then I'll just go back to console gaming, like the rest of the market and many of the readers here at BluesNews.

44. Re: OnLive Launches Thursday, New Details Jun 15, 2010, 15:54 Fang

All of that time you wanted to save yourself building a computer just got blown on this topic by the way Fang

Nope, I'm at work I couldn't be building a gaming PC or playing a video game... though with OnLive... j/k

It's your money after all, no need to justify it to the Internet. I don't see it as a viable gaming alternative myself but people have done far worse with their money.

It's a slow day here and Internet arguments are so much fun. If you have fiber, it has the potential to be a superior product to consoles. Or we can just continue to watch the steady move to console gaming.

As a long time gaming PC builder (albeit not for the last few years), I know the cost it takes to build one. My last machine, I built for $2000. It was a monster. And now it really needs a new video card.

Since I just play MW2 on the 360 now, I'm not going to do it. I could pay $200 to get a new card, or I can sign up for OnLive and maybe it will get me back into PC gaming.

41. Re: OnLive Launches Thursday, New Details Jun 15, 2010, 15:41 Fang

Here's the machine I'm currently using, and I promise I spent no more than 2 hours picking out the parts, 3 or so hours putting it together, and a few hours with software and drivers.

Nice. Maybe I'll buy that. Or I could pay for 20 years of OnLive and use my current system. I'll have to think about it. BTW, did you ever figure out your display issue? Or are you still not able to clone 1080p now?

Buying just a video card, is a solution that works for most machines. And these $150-200 graphic cards have very modest power requirements.

A bog-standard modern machine with a dual/quad core CPU, a PCIe slot, 2GB RAM can be bought for $250 or so for those who have ancient PCs.

Or they could just spend $150 on a 360 Arcade and not have to worry about compatibility.

Then fiddle with analog sticks on an FPS, and pay in general higher prices for the games

Or just don't buy games anymore. I know I haven't.

With the upgraded PC, you can still play with your toddler, spend time with your wife, and then start MW2 on your PC, when they all go to bed. You won't even have to pay online-access fee to your PC maker, unlike X360.

Naw, I was too busy playing with the innards of a PC or reading another benchmark for the next generation of video cards. If I didn't want to pay the $3/month for Live, I'd buy a PS3.

There could be reasons to prefer FPS on consoles over PCs, but cost and time aren't among them.

Keep saying that to yourself and it may eventually become true.

37. Re: OnLive Launches Thursday, New Details Jun 15, 2010, 15:06 Fang

I don't follow hardware at all to be honest with you. I just pick the video card and processor first by sorting by price and picking just under the top. Then I pick a mobo with the right slots for the card and cpu (newegg will warn you if incompat in cart). Then ram which fits in the mobo, a power supply and a case. Done.

I actually hate reading about hardware, crazy boring.

Really? Do you really only spend 5 minutes researching something before you drop nearly a grand on it? I'd be pissed if I just spent $200 on a video card that isn't as good as one that is selling for $180.

Yeah, that new feature on compatibility is nice. Too bad it doesn't work with current parts that you are trying to reuse. It still takes time to find out if you have to spend/waste money on new memory because your old memory is incompatible with your new motherboard. I take extra care to buy compatible parts, and I still end up making mistakes every now and then.

33. Re: OnLive Launches Thursday, New Details Jun 15, 2010, 14:52 Fang

Here's one for 800. Just randomly picked some mid-range stuff paying attention to compatablity. No HDs or periphs.

This took less than 5 minutes.

You are forgetting to count the days of research that you continue to put in so you can create a list in 5 minutes of CURRENT mid-range stuff that's compatible.

Nope, I went down Beamer's path too often, before I finally said screw it.

31. Re: OnLive Launches Thursday, New Details Jun 15, 2010, 14:44 Fang

1. Pick parts on newegg.
2. Follow big colorful directions provided as foldout poster with mobo.

You'll need a single small screwdriver. If you don't have that you can use a small steak knife.

If 13 year olds can do it so can you family man!

Hahah, so says Mr. Babyface. Sorry, I couldn't help the ad hominem quip, but you left yourself wide open.

It's more like picking COMPATIBLE, highly reviewed, popular parts on Newegg. The research is what takes time. And I had been doing it since I was 13. I grew tired of it, so I stopped. The 360 is just so much easier, and I don't have to worry about system slowing DRM on my work computer.

27. Re: OnLive Launches Thursday, New Details Jun 15, 2010, 14:31 Fang

Yeah keeping your PC current is soooooo challenging.

No, but it takes time. Time I'd rather be doing something else.

And I live on the east coast (5 minutes from the Atlantic) and I can't even get a decent cable connection. Only thing here is godawful Charter which couldn't stream 480i content let alone something from this service.

What do you do, live on the Jersey Shore? Yeah, it sucks to be you. When I look for a town to live in, I usually check the internet service providers before considering it... You should try that. Usually the decent places have decent connections (with the exceptions for local town politics limiting ISP/cable choices.) If that's the case, move. You're probably 20 minutes away from a place that offers FIOS.

23. Re: OnLive Launches Thursday, New Details Jun 15, 2010, 14:19 Fang

I was about to mention this as well, I know in Danville, CA they were going door to door trying to get us to use their fiber connections. I'm pretty sure I can get 10-20mb connections from comcast today if I wanted to pay.

Dude, cable is not the same thing as a true FTTH (fiber to the home) connection, such as Verizon FIOS. I think Danville has ATT Uverse though, which is FTTC (fiber to the curb). Which is a kind of disappointment. Supposedly, their new installs will bring it to the house, but I'm not entirely sure. FTTC is still better than cable, due to node congestion. So do yourself a favor and don't get cable.

So they have a 24mbit connection, yet they can only afford a netbook?

"Afford" has little to do with it. It's more the time and effort needed to build a gaming PC on the cheap. My wife sure isn't going to do it. But she might play something like Psychonauts or Final Fantasy on her work laptop through OnLive.

22. Re: OnLive Launches Thursday, New Details Jun 15, 2010, 14:07 Fang

For $60/year you could just buy a new video card every 3-4 years.

And I would need to upgrade the motherboard since in 3-4 years the video card connection will most likely change. (PCI, AGP, PCI Express 1X, 16x, etc.) Or I could just waste $200 on a suboptimal video card.

And if I upgrade the motherboard, I'll have to upgrade the CPU, the memory. Heck, I might as well upgrade the case then. Why not toss in a new harddrive, they are so cheap...

And the time to research what the current technologies are? Or I could just play with my toddler, spend time with the wife, and then pop in MW2 on my 360 when they all go to bed.

20. Re: OnLive Launches Thursday, New Details Jun 15, 2010, 14:02 Fang

On another note, since I signed up earlier, I get a free game with my first year. Does anyone have any recommendations. I haven't played any of those games listed.

I'm thinking about Batman or Borderlands.

see??? I used to buy/play games, but I gave up on building gaming PCs. Now I just play MW2 on the 360. I'm a software dev who started reading BluesNews back in 1997. (finally registered in 2000). I even stopped downloading demos because of the crappy DRM that would get installed along with it.

I have a 20 mbps fiber optic connection, and I gave up years ago of trying to keep up a gaming PC together. Just not worth the time or effort to then have to put up with DRM.

17. Re: OnLive Launches Thursday, New Details Jun 15, 2010, 13:50 Fang

Maybe in 10 or 20 years when everyone has 24mbps connections that run flawlessly you can start to consider services like this being viable, but untill then it's a pipe dream - no pun intended.

There are 3 million households right now on the East Coast with that. This service is intended for them, not you.

$60/year to not have to upgrade my video card? I'll bite, especially since the first year is free. With my fiber optic connection, the input/output lag should be better than my 360 (if you don't understand internal latencies, please don't bother responding to this.)

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 10, 2010, 15:04 Fang

That is what I based the comment on: I was in a restaurant in Virginia for breakfast and my girlfriend ordered tea and got iced tea, and we were told if you want it hot you have to ask for "hot tea."

Yeah, and they would probably look at you funny and ask "without ice???"

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 10, 2010, 15:01 Fang

Yep, even Maryland/DC where I'm at are technically considered the South. Anything south of the Mason Dixon line.

That may be true in reference to the history of slavery, but Maryland/DC didn't join the Confederacy, and culturally, they really aren't a part of the "South".

Personally I'd say Virginia and below, but that's just me.

Ah, you must be from the Maryland/DC side of the DC area. I grew up on the Virginia side of the DC area, and we didn't consider Northern Virginia a part of the "South". If you use the Civil War as reference, the Union army always held Northern Virginia (ie. Fairfax County), which is why there were big battles at Bull Run, on the southern border of NOVA. For today's reference, Fairfax County always votes Democrat, while the rest of the state votes Republican.

12. Re: Out of the Blue May 28, 2010, 15:30 Fang

If you are down to one cup a day, you should invest in an Aeropress. Hands down, absolute best cup of coffee I've had.

It takes more time to make one cup of coffee (4 minutes for me), but if you are a coffee lover and only drink one a day, you owe it to yourself to make the best one.

It's less than $30 on Amazon.

News Comments > OnLive UK Plans
6. Re: OnLive UK Plans May 14, 2010, 00:23 Fang

...I have a 5mbps dsl line.

Well, there you go. This service is targeted toward fiber users (which number in the millions now). Personally, I love my 20 mbps / 8 ms ping FIOS.

The technology may not be there for you guys in flyover country, but it is for me

Now their business model... We'll see about that. $15/month just to get access is a little steep.

But man, some of you guys remind me of Riley ranting about Steam. The technology is there, the only problem is the business economics.

1079 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo