Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Troy C.

Real Name Troy C.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PropheT
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 17, 2000, 22:20
Total Comments 2206 (Senior)
User ID 6273

User comment history
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

News Comments > etc., etc.
8. Re: etc., etc. Oct 11, 2012, 22:27 PropheT

Cutter wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 21:51:
Gee, big surprise. Of course their reviews are predicated on advertising dollars. All the big budget games have always got glowing reviews - regardless of what everyone else is saying - and all the smaller titles get ripped apart to appear to give them some sort of 'street cred' that they're legit. It's why since day one I always relied on - at the time - for smaller, more honest sites like the Adrenaline Vault for reviews, as well as sites like Blues, VE, etc. to find me more legitimate reviews. And of course, most importantly, my fellow gamers.

This is pretty much it, and the best way to go.

Everyone has wondered about reviews in years past, but I don't think it's ever been as bad as it is right now. Some cases are outright blatant; L.A. Noire got 100's on some sites, like Giant Bomb, 1UP and Gamepro. GTA IV got 100's on the same sites. Red Dead Redemption (which was admittedly great) also got 100's on 1UP and Gamepro (GB didn't have it listed).

I guess you could argue that all three of those games are the pinnacle of game creation, but that seems sort of weird to me having played all three. That's just looking at Rockstar, since that's who was pointed out in the article here. IGN had a first released exclusive review for GTA IV it's worth noting, too, which not surprisingly also gave it a 100. Most fans I've seen don't even think it's the best game in the series.

Anyway, just kind of rambling. I'm sick of reviews and review scores. If it's hyped up somewhere prior to release, it'll get a high score even if it shouldn't. If anyone questions it, they'll get the "review scores are just opinions" thing which I'd be totally cool with, if it wasn't for their shitty opinions driving publishers these days.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch
12. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch Oct 11, 2012, 21:57 PropheT

Creston wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 21:53:
Prez wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 21:47:
On the Firaxis forum someone (who may be a developer or just someone talking out their ass) said the patch's size is a function of the way the code is compiled - if you change one line the entire file needs to be downloaded.

I guess it's possible, but I know fuck-all about such things.

That's absolutely possible. It also shows that they compiled it in the worst fucking way imaginable. Fucking awesome. So everything they have a patch, we'll have to download 2 GBs or more? Yay.

Thanks Firaxis!

Creston

Didn't the same thing happen with The Witcher 2 when it came out? I seem to remember something like a 15gb patch, or something ridiculous, that I had to download to play it after an update.

News Comments > New NVIDIA Drivers
1. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Oct 10, 2012, 21:38 PropheT

217mb download for a driver install is kind of getting out of hand.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown
27. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 11:52 PropheT

So far I'm really happy with it. It's definitely X-Com, which is more than you can say for any game like this that's come out since the originals. It's not perfect but it's tense and it's fun.  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - The Elders Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire
6. Re: Steamships Ahoy - The Elders Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Oct 4, 2012, 21:53 PropheT

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 20:52:
Housearmor!

lol!

News Comments > WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again
58. Re: WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again Oct 4, 2012, 20:35 PropheT

WyldKat wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 17:04:
As is...

-Being forced to stand in place while casting/attacking
-Being unable to dodge enemy attacks
-Combat based on item level, not player skill
-Same old tier based dungeon/PVP gear grind
-No large-scale PVP warfare with castles, keeps to conquer with siege engines
-Kill/Quest stealing
-Simplified and downright restricting "noob friendly" skill tree
-Only a few classes can rez, don't expect them to in the open world because everyone is focused on their wall of text quest log
-Outdated graphics vs top quality modern graphics
-Forced to pay a subscription fee
-Forced to have "item level x" or tank/healer to go do dungeons
And really there's so, so much more.

"Have fun," to the people that want to continue to play this stuff, but I've had my fill a long time ago in Wrath when the story started in WC3 was wrapped up.

- Standing in place while attacking is nice for clickers. I don't personally prefer it, but it's not always a plus.

- Dodging in GW2 sucks to me, and the content that requires it with death as an immediate alternative sucks even more. Dodge or die fight? Watch swaths of people keel over dead, and then more killed as they try to revive them. No thanks.

- Tier based gear gives you something to work for. I hate it in PvP, though, so I definitely prefer GW2 there.

- Wintergrasp had large scale castle battles with siege engines. I doubt anyone plays it anymore and I have no idea if anything replaced since I haven't played WoW really since shortly after Cataclysm went up.

- Kill stealing is fine since the content is different. I like everyone being able to help anyone a lot in GW2, but there's no interaction and no reason for people to talk to work together as a result.

- The skill tree argument is ridiculous. GW2 does not have a deep skill tree or skill system at all. I agree that they oversimplified WoW's, but with a larger number of abilities I'd say WoW is still more complicated than GW2. I don't personally think I've seen a more restrictive and dumbed down action bar than GW2's, for that matter.

- Any class that can heal can rez. As far as people doing it, well...people suck in online gaming.

- Graphics are nice in GW2 but I think you'd be surprised by WoW's if you played it again. It sure as hell doesn't look like an old game when you fire it up.

- Subscription fee is fine. I don't have to put down real money to buy bank slots, bag slots, character slots, keys, costume gear, or anything else. I guess you can farm if you're max level and have nothing else to do, but... also, content updates aren't insignificant and the customer service is miles better.

That said, I wouldn't even play GW2 if there was a fee, so it does get credit for that.

- You're still forced to adhere to certain criteria to do dungeons. Since you can barely even PUG dungeons in GW2 I don't see how this makes much difference anyway.

I like both games, but... they aren't directly comparable for most of those points.

News Comments > WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again
12. Re: WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again Oct 4, 2012, 11:37 PropheT

Kythlyn wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 11:12:
The biggest problem with Panda is Guild Wars 2. Going back to a quest log from dynamic questing is jarring.

Not to me it isn't. The only change is that instead of picking up the quest from a single person you just get the quest when you walk into the area. It doesn't feel any different from the standard heart quest.

Once I got to mid-level the DE's were few and far between and there wasn't anyone around to do them anyway. After about level 25 or so you've seen most of the different quest types and the number of events falls off to the point where you're just hammering out quests like any other MMO.

News Comments > Blizzard's Pardo: Single-Player Games an "Endangered Species"
35. Re: Blizzard's Pardo: Single-Player Games an Oct 4, 2012, 01:54 PropheT

mlw wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 23:17:
One word to debate this idiot: Skyrim

Well, 4 words kind of put that to rest when the future of that series is "The Elder Scrolls Online".

Anyway...Isn't that "one word" kind of his point?

If you could come up with a few more words I think you might be on to something, but the two other single player games from the last year that came to mind also have some kind of online component (Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma).

There seems to be quite a few people here calling him an idiot when what he's saying is really, really hard to argue with if you look at the list of AAA games from the last few years. There's less than a handful of them each year. What AAA single player games have hit this year? Dragon's Dogma is the only one I can even think of, since its online component isn't actual multiplayer.

Skyrim and Batman: AC were last year, what else was there?

News Comments > Game Reviews
2. Re: Torchlight II on games.on.net Oct 3, 2012, 11:31 PropheT

BobBob wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 11:10:
I get the impression the reviewer barely played the game. He played a little bit, read other reviews, and paraphrased.

One other reviewer on a major games site was tweeting that he agreed with the other reviews he read before he'd posted his own review.

I disagree with this guy's assertion that the Phantom Menace is regarded as bad just because of the internet, but his overall point is sound. Professional game reviews aren't any different or better than the average forum post on any given site.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 2, 2012, 15:46 PropheT

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 10:23:
Chrome may lose another user soon, I'm considering going back to Firefox after their recent appearance modifications. They increased the blank space between entries in the bookmarks.

I haven't noticed any change with bookmarks at all. You sure there's not something else going on?

Been using Chrome for at least a couple of years now, Firefox feels clunky in comparison.

News Comments > Borderlands 3 Mentioned
52. Re: Borderlands 3 Mentioned Oct 1, 2012, 17:45 PropheT

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 16:13:
Well, Creston, I don't know what to say except sorry for your apparently excessive bad luck in finding items you don't want to use. I've seen plenty of those stats on guns, but they are nowhere near the most dominant in my experience. Although the burst fire is pretty high up there, since all Dahl-brand guns do that. I tend to avoid Hyperion weapons because of their accuracy over time crap, but it's just a preference. I've seen a few that do okay, like pistols where the recoil doesn't degrade fast enough to stop me from firing several clips after the first one with dead-center spread, or shotguns where accuracy doesn't matter too much to begin with.

Hyperion weapons don't degrade accuracy over time, though, they improve; The first shot has greatly reduced accuracy, it's the later ones that have the dead-center spread to them.

The longer you hold the trigger, the more accurate they get. It usually only takes a few bullets to draw a bead on 100% accuracy, so with something like an SMG or AR with a decent sized magazine Hyperion weapons can be pretty good. Unless it's a TMP on auto-fire, the Hyperion pistols are garbage because you're never firing continuously...and even with the TMP's their clip size is never big enough to get a great benefit.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: PC is no longer personal computer. Sep 28, 2012, 02:26 PropheT

PC is still personal computer, because tablets and phones having more market share doesn't mean tablets and phones have replaced PC's.

There might be more options, but for the vast majority of tasks you needed a PC for 5-10 years ago you still need a PC to do them now. Tablets and phones don't even replace basic productivity apps like a word processor effectively, or simple functions like file sharing, so regardless of how many are out there they aren't phasing out the old systems rather than just supplementing them.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: NBA LIVE 13 Cancelled. Sep 28, 2012, 02:16 PropheT

I loved the first two RE games, but they didn't age well in the graphics or the gameplay department. They didn't even play that well back then, but they were different.

It's not that the horror died out, that really didn't change all that much even into RE5...but by then, everybody'd seen it all, a lot of fans of the early ones didn't remember that the originals were as cheeseball as RE5 is, and people seem to ignore that the entire iosmetric tank-like gameplay design of games like RE1-3, Eternal Darkness, and a few others died off completely when better systems were developed. The games changed because gaming changed.

Maybe a re-release will remind people of that, which I don't think is what the article meant by "is just what the RE series needs", but it still works.

News Comments > Mists of Pandaria Sales Disappointing?
36. Re: Mists of Pandaria Sales Disappointing? Sep 28, 2012, 02:03 PropheT

n3farious wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 21:03:
Fuggin trolls. I'm sick of the kung fu panda references. The 'Pandas' have been part of the lore long before either movie came out.

Second, since the family and I all play, I purchased 5 copies of the digital version, and none of the physical. So, I contributed heavily to the 'poor retail performance'. The queue of 1200 players during prime times tells me that I'm not alone.

Finally, the expansion is very well executed. The artwork, engine upgrades and story lines are all phenomenal. Is the game dumbed-down for the masses from the old Molten Core 40 man raids? Sure. Are there a lot of usability enhancements which have been made to keep Blizzard's offering current with competition? Absolutely. Is the game worth playing? My monthly subscription says yes.

I bought it, because hey; I put in a TON of time in past years, and expansions were always a fun time to be around. My wife picked it back up again, so I figured I'd level a monk and call it a day when I got to level awesome and wasn't having fun anymore.

The things I've realized since getting back into it:
1) My server is dead. There really aren't that many people around. Even when there should have been tons of people around, when there was a queue when Cataclysm launched, when there was no mobs to kill... my server hit medium. Nobody excitedly dancing and emoting on new characters, not even a ton of people leveling new monks. It was really, really underwhelming.

2) Pandas are fucking stupid. The "they were always lore!" thing is BS, they were a joke. They've been around for quite a while, but never in any kind of major role, and that's because they're stupid and everyone seemed to know it and agree on that until Pandaria was announced and some fans decided they must be awesome then. The more I play the more Pandarians I encounter and the more I wonder why they chose them; the interviews Blue linked to here over the past week talked about how they were more serious than people realize, but no. No, they aren't.

Oh, and as for the Kung Fu panda references... at level 20 you get your spirit travel as a monk and go to Pandaria, and one of the first guys you have to talk to? Yup, Kung Fu Panda reference.

Hell, the female pandas look like Fiona from Shrek 2. It's hard to unsee once you notice it.

3) Leveling through the Cataclysm-redone areas I've hit on what I see as being the problem for the last two years. Pop culture overload. Everything is meant to be funny, or a pun, or whatever... where did the serious stuff go? Maybe Horde is different, but I'm so tired of lame pun quests already. The story was Warcraft was f'ing cool, and it's kind of been subverted by this tongue in cheek crap from the A-Team to Harrison Jones. I miss the old stuff, and Pandaland isn't like the old stuff.

I never cared about 40-man raids, don't have rose colored glasses that say this game sucked since Vanilla (which makes me laugh...Vanilla was rough), or any of that. It's not the quality of Pandaria that's the problem, but for me as a solo player it's the absolute shift in tone. This is not the Warcraft that people fell in love with.

It's still the best dungeon grouping or raiding game on the market, hands down. I wouldn't be surprised if digital sales make up for a lot more than they realize, and the expansion does ok. But, after playing a bit, the thematic change and the feel and the perception of the game is different; I'd be beyond surprised if the game stops bleeding players because of this and not surprised at all if it gets worse.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 26, 2012, 21:57 PropheT

It's really not confusing at all, especially if you're using an Amazon app on an internet-ready TV or a Roku box or something.

Besides, when you have multiple people in the house Netflix's suggested watching is kind of...yeah. I really don't want to watch these things my teenage daughter loves, but thanks for the offer.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Sep 25, 2012, 20:05 PropheT

They've been doing the day 1 digital thing with Vita already, and it's awesome there. I don't know that I'd use it as much on a console, but the option is sure nice.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 25, 2012, 11:08 PropheT

mch wrote on Sep 25, 2012, 09:54:
Thought this was pretty funny, coming from Gov Walker:

@GovWalker After catching a few hours of sleep, the #Packers game is still just as painful. #Returntherealrefs

After the games last weekend and then that game last night... eesh. I'm bummed as hell because of the hockey lockout, but football right now is more depressing.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
45. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 23, 2012, 21:06 PropheT

PHJF wrote on Sep 23, 2012, 19:39:
All right, TotalBiscuit confirmed my fears for BL2. One boring skill per class and pointless passive bonuses. But even after all that I still played the hell out of BL, so $43 seems fine...

If you liked BL1, I can't see you disliking 2. I'm kind of blown away by how much better it is, actually.

Story? Yep, it's fun and kind of cool in 2, I hated it in 1.

Guns? They're not a lot different, elemental effects are more important though so experimenting is more prevalent here.

Abilities? They're about the same, but better implemented in 2. There aren't active abilities to juggle, but at higher levels you can spec to change up what they do if you want (with the Siren at least, I haven't played the others yet but assume it's similar). They are more useful than I remember in 1.

Driving? It's better. It still isn't perfect, but it's definitely better. I almost wish there was more of it.

BL2 is longer than BL1, too. A lot longer, if you do the sidequests. The side quests are more interesting, too, although some are still a lot of running around in circles.

I was kind of meh on BL1. It was buggy and I just didn't enjoy it a lot, but something about this one has just clicked with me. I'm really surprised by it, it's way more fun than I expected. Definitely pick it up if you liked the first one. Just my opinion of course, but this is what I wanted when I bought the first game.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 20, 2012, 16:18 PropheT

Verno wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 13:12:
I don't think it is more difficult to use or troubleshoot given how familiar with the command line I am. Windows is no better in this regard, often hiding things between configuration files in different directories and adding the complexity of the registry hive.

There is a distinct difference, there, though. On a PC, it can in some cases be more difficult to configure something initially to get it running.

On a Mac, "things just work" in theory, and there's little configuration to be done.

The problem and differences become evident in the inevitable cases where things don't just work, which really has become increasingly more common in the last few years. On a PC, things are generally easy to fix and solutions (and experts) are easy to come by... even complex ones, with a little Google-fu. That's not the case on a Mac.

At the business help desk where I work, we have a low percentage of Mac users with actual Mac systems, but per person they generate more support calls than the PC users do with a much smaller closed call ratio and a MUCH longer call time (almost triple, which is huge). We're also inundated with calls over the last year to two years for iPhones since the decision was made to try and support their usage. Seriously, the call volume for these things and the manpower put into supporting them is just idiotic compared to the benefit they provide and that they're supposed to be so simple to configure and use.

Apple's shit has become much more common in usage over the last few years, and everyone agrees that it's a pain in the ass to maintain and support... the kicker to me is the number of users who complain about not being able to use them, and the difficulty we have actually helping with that. PC's break, but they're simple to fix. Apple's stuff, even the simple stuff like the iPhones, well...if it doesn't work, good luck.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 DLC Clue
3. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 20, 2012, 00:28 PropheT

Not sure about the injector, but you can use this:

Open WillowEngine.ini in C:/Users/yourprofile/My Games/Borderlands 2/WillowGame/Config/

and change:
DefaultPostProcessName=WillowEngineMaterials.Willo wScenePostProcess

to:
DefaultPostProcessName=EngineMaterials.DefaultUIPo stProcess

I think it has problems with depth of field from what I read, but I had that turned off anyway, so...

I like the look of it much better. Takes out a lot of the thick black lines in the game and makes it blend a lot better. Looks pretty spiffy.

2206 Comments. 111 pages. Viewing page 41.
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo