Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Troy C.

Real Name Troy C.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PropheT
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 17, 2000, 22:20
Total Comments 2110 (Senior)
User ID 6273

User comment history
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

News Comments > The Old Republic EP Leaves; Other Staff Cuts?
12. Re: The Old Republic EP Leaves; Other Staff Cuts? Jul 17, 2012, 15:54 PropheT

Carcifier wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 15:32:
The MMO market is dead. It's day has come and gone. At least in the way it currently exists. You aren't going to get people to sign up for 15 bucks a month unless it's a new game that absolutely revolutionizes the genre and blows away WOW.

SWTOR didn't even match WOW. I played it for 2 months, 1 month longer than I should have.

They're making a BIGGER mistake by not being completely F2P by this Summer. There's a lot of good RPG's out and coming out.

The MMO market is fine, and there's still plenty of people paying for subscriptions. There are more games out there and people are spread out across them, but for the most part they're all doing fine as long as they were created and are run with reasonable expectations of subscriptions.

What's absolutely crazy is to measure everything that comes out against WoW, either by player base or expectations when a game launches. It's ridiculous. No shit the game isn't doing as well as WoW; even WoW isn't doing as well as WoW if you're talking about just numbers anymore. Nothing is hitting those numbers but it always seems to be ignored that they don't have to in order to be profitable and sustainable.

TOR might be the only real exception to that, but only if the rumors of cost involved in getting it out the door are true... and even then they don't need WoW numbers to make the game sustainable on subscriptions, it just wouldn't be the cash cow EA was hoping for.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Jul 12, 2012, 22:01 PropheT

I'm not sure what this study proves. Everyone has already known for years that hardcore gamers buy less soap and deoderant than other folks.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
9. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 12, 2012, 12:15 PropheT

I live in a small town, about 30 miles from a city big enough to even house a Walmart. Retail is already dead here; the internet killed it ten years ago, along with other things like not being able to price low enough to match places like Walmart in the first place even with the drive factored in.

The thing is, even in the city near here that's 100,000+ strong, you can't find a lot of things I can just get easily on Amazon. There's tons of name-brand retail stores for clothes, but if you want something different than high school kids are wearing but more wearable than the cheap ass department store stock? Amazon. Computer parts? Newegg or Amazon; there's not a small computer store that's worth a shit here...the only one that has stayed open has done it more or less by screwing people who don't know their computer well enough to not be screwed. Books? Amazon; I'd buy from the local book store, but they never stock anything I read well enough to not have to order it from their web site anyway. Electronics, DVD's, etc? There's Best Buy, although they closed the one I went to (the one where they hate you for walking in the door is still there, ~6-7 more miles away on the other side of town). I quit going there because I got sick of being shaken down like a thief every time I go out the door...you just saw me pay for this stuff, just leave me alone and no I don't want a $2 service plan for my $5 DVD. Games? It's Best Buy or Gamestop; the Gamestop I liked closed, the one with good guys working there, but the ones where they drive pre-orders down your throat or treat you like the bastard son of satan stay open.

I understand the pain and worry about retail, but not all those places deserve to be saved just because they're local. Amazon has been more convenient to me, but what ultimately pushed me there wasn't prices and convenience but that it wasn't worth paying a dollar or two more to be treated like shit at the few local stores we have (or had, the ones who do best around here are the ones who sell on name and not service or quality).

It all comes back to local stores doing well when they offer you something you don't get online. Good service, a supported product, little hassle, or at least an atmosphere and friendliness that lets you feel like any hassle was worth it. If anything kills retail it's that those kinds of places are largely nonexistent anymore, and if the larger retailers can't compete it's because they make no attempt at service; they just sell because I'm f'ing Walmart and of course you're going here, even if you hate it.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 to Include Original
24. Re: Wasteland 2 to Include Original Jul 10, 2012, 17:01 PropheT

Dev wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 16:54:
Panickd wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 16:34:
On another note: Why don't companie And some of those older titles its very nebulous as to who owns the IP.

I think that's the biggest problem. It seems to be a major issue with all of these old titles, and in the end I don't think the return on investment is worth the hassle...at least when looking at it from a retail sales perspective, like the publishers have been until really recently.

News Comments > id Hasn't Forgotten RAGE
31. Re: id Hasn't Forgotten RAGE Jul 6, 2012, 03:33 PropheT

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 00:09:
I don't get why people uninstall games. Even though I have over 500 games installed my Steam folder is only about 1.3TB - double that and it would still fit on a 3TB drive. Regardless, how much effort is it to download a game? It takes less than an hour to download 25GB on a modern connection and even if you're only on 4Mbps it's an overnight job.

There's no reason to spend the money on a 3TB drive or maintain current backups when you only use 1/3rd of the data on it (or less). I don't see any point in keeping around useless clutter that I'll never play just to say I have it, especially when I can just download it again later if for some reason I change my mind.

News Comments > id Hasn't Forgotten RAGE
12. Re: id Hasn't Forgotten RAGE Jul 5, 2012, 21:08 PropheT

It was the most disappointing game I bought last year. I'd actually be better with them forgetting it and moving on to something new, really.  

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Jul 5, 2012, 19:35 PropheT

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 5, 2012, 19:27:
What it comes down to is "how many hours have you played"? Anything over 100 hours for a new game is pretty good.

I don't disagree with you, but when it walks like an MMO and talks like an MMO I don't think they should be surprised when people start to expect MMO longevity out of it... or that they are inevitably upset when they don't get it, especially after tying in real-money purchases of items that become pointless once you have the best of them.

News Comments > The Secret World Launches
28. Re: The Secret World Launches Jul 3, 2012, 17:21 PropheT

I didn't enjoy the beta at all, but due the dearth of game releases right now I grabbed this to try it out anyway.

I'm having fun, mixed with bugs and frustration, but fun all the same.

News Comments > EA to "Be a 100% Digital Company, Period"
31. Re: EA to Jul 3, 2012, 00:30 PropheT

RollinThundr wrote on Jul 2, 2012, 23:12:
Maybe all the "put their games back on steam" comments. They made me chuckle.

The way I look at it, I'm a gamer, I don't care if EA puts out a game I want to play, or Valve, or Ubisoft or any other publisher. Sure I still think folks like Kotick are dicks but if Activision puts out a title I'd enjoy playing oh well.

Basically the content is whats important, not the publisher name on the box, or in the case of digital distribution on the title screen.

I think you're kind of missing the point. Valve is a developer, with their small library of games only appearing on their DD platform.

EA is a large publisher, with a much larger library of games, so only having their games available via their platform makes having multiple platforms and the issues that come with that more prevalent.

And if that works out well, Activision follows suit, and we have another exclusive platform to deal with.

When it comes down to it, people want to buy games where they want to buy them, not where they have to. How would you feel if you had to buy retail and Gamestop was the only place that carried EA's games, Walmart had Activision's, and so on? It'd suck, and be pretty stupid, but that's what's shaping up in the DD arena right now.

Add to that the problems that come with a poor platform, like if you could only get something over GFWL for example, and it's easier to understand why people might be upset. I have no problem with Origin, or if people want to buy things there, but I don't personally want to buy my stuff there and not having the option to buy it elsewhere is a horse shit deal for customers.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 2, 2012, 19:41 PropheT

There are way too many tools that are just faster and easier to use in command line than any GUI version has provided (ipconfig and netstat being two I use every single day). Net use gives feedback and sometimes even results that you wouldn't otherwise see with a normal network share mapping in Windows.

Maybe they mention it in the article (I should read it but didn't), but the command line doesn't need to go anywhere because while it might not be mandatory for using a system, it is mandatory for fixing it and supporting it. In my experience the newer people hitting the field who don't know how to use it for support are crippled in their ability to fix a lot of otherwise simple issues.

News Comments > TERA's $25 Horse
36. Re: TERA's $25 Horse Jun 27, 2012, 18:47 PropheT

NKD wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 12:14:
But you're actually saving yourself some money with the smokes! All those years you won't be alive are years you won't be spending money.

That actually sounds like a more sensible retirement plan than the one I'd been paying into for years when you put it that way.

News Comments > Gearbox TMs "Shift" - Has Steamy Plans?
27. Re: Gearbox TMs Jun 26, 2012, 19:14 PropheT

I know I should be all "competition is good" and all that, but I really don't want another DD platform. I'm good with Steam; it's bad enough that I have to have Origin on my system as it is because of two games that require it. I just don't want the hassle of another one.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 26, 2012, 10:57 PropheT

LurkerLito wrote on Jun 25, 2012, 11:31:
Dragon's Dogma is a AWESOME RPG game I will be buying the sequel for certain.

Yup, seeing that there'll be a sequel is the best news I've seen in a long time. I've been playing it non-stop since it came out, and even as someone who doesn't replay most of my games...I've finished it 4 times and working on a 5th.

I'm glad it did well enough to draw a sequel, I'll definitely be on it day 1. Now it just needs a PC version...

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
11. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 24, 2012, 12:10 PropheT

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 15:39:
So a PlayStation fansite has an article about how the PS3 has the better games? Quelle surprise!

But seriously, they talk about how the current consoles are in their twilight years and yet go on about how the new PS3 exclusives look "stunning". There's nothing "stunning" about games with low resolution textures running at sub-720p resolutions. PC games run at resolutions 4x that for single monitors and 7x that in multi-monitor configs, as well as dramatically higher texture quality, rendering detail and polygon count (tessellation).

They do look stunning for the platform the games are made for, and those higher resolutions don't really mean anything when you're doing your gaming on a TV anyway.

Of course PC games look better, but it's kind of beside the point. Those games they're talking about do look great, and despite it being a PS3 fansite...they're actually right in the article. The Last of Us and Beyond are interesting and different titles (the kind of which we never really see as PC exclusives anymore, incidentally) compared to the biggest upcoming 360 titles being just more of the same catered to the shooter crowd.

You can't knock a PS3 for being a PS3 or a 360 for the same when they're still damn good for what they are. It's like complaining about a '68 Mustang because it doesn't have the features of a 2012.

News Comments > Digital Diablo III Now Spends 72 Hours as Starter Edition
19. Re: Digital Diablo III Now Spends 72 Hours as Starter Edition Jun 21, 2012, 21:31 PropheT

RollinThundr wrote on Jun 21, 2012, 21:05:
Oh I can't wait to see how the fanboys spin this one.

I don't know how it's even possible. Regardless of the justification for it, they're actively choosing to screw people who legitimately purchased the game.

Instead of listening to people's complaints about the DRM decisions they made with Diablo 3 they actually found an even worse way of doing things... an even better example of why it's BS.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Civilization V: Gods & Kings
7. Re: Ships Ahoy - Civilization V: Gods & Kings Jun 19, 2012, 19:09 PropheT

Not to derail the "fuck these guys" train, but pretty happy with this so far. It's not as big as Broken Sword was, but it's a nice changeup to the game.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 14, 2012, 22:46 PropheT

nin wrote on Jun 14, 2012, 21:24:
The company I'm at is just now moving to Win7/Office 10 (we have a ton of custom in house software we've had to migrate/rewrite/virt term). Win8? Not even being discussed.

Same where I work. I can't see them ever migrating to Win8, honestly; it'll be out before we even finish migrating completely to Win7.

News Comments > etc., etc.
6. Re: etc., etc. Jun 13, 2012, 22:30 PropheT

Prez wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 20:54:
People just being hypocrites again. Rape and attempted rape are a common theme in movies and books, but let's all lose our minds because someone put a brief attempted rape scene in a game. You see worse on regular TV every hour of every day.

If they can tell this story with mature themes like this and make it work, that's a pretty big step in gaming. Traditionally all it has taken is for one company to step up with a good game to give the rest of the industry a push toward that direction, so if they can do this and do it right with a recognizable character like Lara, that's a nice acknowledgement to me that all of us aren't 17 anymore and we can deal with subject matter that wouldn't have been touched by games not too long ago.

Instead it seems like half the articles I see anymore are a determined piece written to assure non-gamers that we aren't sociopaths for liking something that we shouldn't have to apologize for in the first place.

50 Shades of Grey is the #1 book, adult-oriented TV shows like True Blood or Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad or Mad Men or Dexter (and so on) are popular everywhere, and yet most of the video game world seems stuck on the avoidance of adult-themed material or turning it into something that would fit in a comic book, flashy and eye catching but easily dismissed.

News Comments > Diablo III Hotfixes and More
34. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes and More Jun 10, 2012, 12:25 PropheT

wonkawonka wrote on Jun 10, 2012, 04:25:
I had no problem obliterating normal with my DH without ever using the auction house. It's only by act II Nightmare that it became impossible to ignore. Essentially Blizzard is saying "you can win the game normally without the AH". And that is really just stupid. Having the AH makes everyone end up with the same builds because the only thing that matters is gold. Then Blizz will go and say "hey, we got a great idea! Let's nerf the drops so that the AH doesn't have 50 of the critical '+x to all resistances, +y% attack speed' item, and that people will have to do something else".
You know where that will end up...

I think Blizz is chewing much more than it can digest

The issue to me isn't whether you can win or not, but that entire categories of gear practically don't exist because of the AH. I've finished normal with three different characters, and put what I'd consider a fair amount of time into the game (got distracted by Dragon's Dogma so haven't cleared Nightmare yet). I've seen two legendary drops, both level 10 items, and never seen a set item. They were rare in Diablo 2, but you at least SAW these things. The thrill of discovery is gone because there's no real expectation of finding anything like that throughout the normal course of play; with a drop rate as low as those items have, there's no pathway to obtaining them outside of the AH.

To me, buying things on the AH defeats the entire purpose of playing a game like Diablo, so forcing the issue just makes me want to spend my time elsewhere rather than altering how I play to fit what they did in the game.

News Comments > Diablo III Hotfixes and More
23. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes and More Jun 9, 2012, 23:06 PropheT

Dev wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 21:36:
Instead of focusing on these little problem spots that crop up (symptoms), they need to be focusing on how to shut down farmers and spammers, and preventing bots (the underlying problems that are creating the symptoms), and making it harder to steal accounts.

They need to make the drops actually be drops and not have entire categories of gear be based on the auction house. For lack of a better way to put it, fuck the economy. The auction house should augment the game, not replace the loot tables like it did.

I enjoy the game, but the fact that in order to progress or in order to have a chance at having somewhat unique gear requires use of the auction house kills it for me. I got a real sense of, "The stuff isn't going to drop, so why play in search of it?" followed by a rapidly diminished desire to continue playing the game. Having the loot doesn't mean dick in a game like this so just buying it on the AH, to me, is like putting down a fiver and the guy just takes the carrot off the stick and hands it to you.

2110 Comments. 106 pages. Viewing page 41.
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo