Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Troy C.

Real Name Troy C.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PropheT
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 17, 2000, 22:20
Total Comments 2072 (Senior)
User ID 6273

User comment history
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
28. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2012, 16:47 PropheT

sauron wrote on May 16, 2012, 15:20:
I was reading Penny Arcade just now, and they summed this up perfectly:

His entire editorial today pretty much sums up what most of us were saying yesterday that was dismissed as just being so much whining.

And as far as always-on DRM, you still really can't dismiss Diablo 3's online requirement as just being that. It's a secondary feature, sure, but it does connect you to game services that permeate the game; friend list, auto-joining games, auction house, chat channels, and so on. Ubisoft didn't have that sort of thing with their DRM, so it's not really fair to compare the two.

It's definitely valid to question the necessity of the connection for things of dubious use to people who just want single-player Diablo 3, but it's just not the same thing.

I'm also not personally of the belief that it was unreasonable to expect Blizzard, who should have been holders of a behemoth of online knowledge and preparedness due to their experience with WoW, to have done better than what they did. Was it unexpected? No, probably not... but that in itself says something about gaming that I've grown to particularly dislike.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ad Says Guild Wars 2 Next Month
20. Re: Ad Says Guild Wars 2 Next Month May 16, 2012, 00:44 PropheT

KTR wrote on May 15, 2012, 23:45:
Uh...you do know that NCsoft is doing that on purpose?!?

The magic release day patch, ah yes. It's a mythical creature commonly mentioned on message boards leading up to the release date of a game that's clearly not done yet. "Don't you realize we're just testing an outdated version?!?" is my personal favorite version of this.

Anyway.

Companies aren't in the habit of making their product available without an NDA to people who are seeing an unfinished non-representative version of their work. That's really all there is to it; if what you saw seems definitively like it needs more time in the oven, then it does.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Diablo III
233. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 23:54 PropheT

Cutter wrote on May 15, 2012, 23:01:
None of it works becase the installer won't patch on certain 64 bit Vista/Win7 systems. It just hangs and won't update anything. So even if you could DL the full client the moment the updater starts you're fucked. And they've know this for a while now. That's just not dropping the ball, that's just shitting on customers.

The release version doesn't have the issue, or didn't for me, even though the open beta did.

If you're still having trouble I can dig through my post history for the fix if you want it, I know I posted it here back when open beta was live. It sounds a lot more complicated than it is, really, it's fairly simple to correct once you know what obscure component you're looking for.

News Comments > Diablo III Launch: Error 37 Gains Infamy
34. Re: Diablo III Launch: Error 37 Gains Infamy May 15, 2012, 23:50 PropheT

Shok wrote on May 15, 2012, 23:34:
Ok, I'll bite. It is when all I want to play is single player and I'm forced online for inane DRM reasons when a single player component could have been developed in the 12 years between Diablo 2 and 3.

I'd like to stick up for the online-only component because it's trying something different that could be kind of cool... but I can't anymore. There's something about the implementation of it that just isn't working.

The online parts of it are completely integrated into the game, from global chat channels to always-on friend joining to auction houses, but they're so easily ignored that I have to wonder what the point is if someone isn't interested in those things. If you're not using them, they aren't just extraneous...they're actually detrimental to the game. The more I play (or try to play) the more I think that Starcraft 2's usage of the tools was not just better but smarter. I love the game so far, for the most part, but for me personally the online components aren't worth the hassle.

And I just plain don't get the auction house. If you take away the hunt for loot in Diablo 3, I'm not sure I understand the point of playing anymore.

178. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 18:16 PropheT

xXBatmanXx wrote on May 15, 2012, 18:00:
Your point is?
Name one game that hasn't had issues at launch in the last 10 years.

Downtime in mid afternoon on the first day? So what. It isn't as though people don't have things they SHOULD be doing anyway....let me guess...you didn't buy it...

You bought a new game and can't play it?!? Well, you should be doing something else anyway, what are you complaining about?

You paid for this movie ticket and the theater wouldn't let you in? What are you complaining about, you should be doing something else anyway!

You paid for this CD, and can't listen to the music on it? What are you complaining about, there are other things to hear anyway!

Come on. It's ridiculous for everything else people do for entertainment, why is it ok for gaming?

I can name ten online games that were playable at launch. Give me some time and I can do twenty. That argument doesn't hold water.

100. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 15:14 PropheT

Krovven wrote on May 15, 2012, 14:48:
Being mad about it is wasted energy, especially when we all knew this was inevitably what was going to happen.

I just can't get on board with it being ok because this stuff happens. It's not unreasonable to expect something better than this.

It's not uncommon for MMO's to have lag, queues, whatever on launch day (which is what this basically is, even if a single player MMO). Glitches are one thing, complete stonewalling by the login server and a three hour shutdown in the middle of the day... people are still at work, kids at school, and some haven't even had a chance to get their copy yet. If it can't handle 2am and it can't handle 12pm, it ain't going to be up later either.

They've talked in interviews about this being the direction that gaming is going, and today is really a pretty good example of why it shouldn't. I'm not really angry about it, just...disgusted, I guess.

62. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 14:19 PropheT

Creston wrote on May 15, 2012, 14:07:
If you have 2 million pre-orders, and you ship an additional 3 million copies to stores, shouldn't you have launch capacity for 5 million copies? That doesn't seem like it's extremely difficult math.

But Blizzard figures they can easily get away with less, as people will complain, then get in, and keep playing, and stop complaining. And like I said, if you keep accepting that kind of behavior from a developer, don't be surprised if that's what you get.

To be fair, Blizzard isn't always this bad with their launches. World of Warcraft was, but the expansions for the most part were fairly smooth. I haven't played WoW since shortly after Cataclysm launched, though, maybe things have degraded a bit.

I wasn't expecting it to be completely smooth for Diablo 3, but as it is it's really apparent that they just plain weren't prepared at all. It's like they're doing their stress testing on launch day.

41. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 13:44 PropheT

theyarecomingforyou wrote on May 15, 2012, 12:21:
The game launched 18hrs ago in the UK and the servers are still too busy to connect to. Blizzard really screwed the pooch with this one. Very unimpressed.

I got connected last night when it launched, created a character, had the system lag, and it filled all my character slots with the same character. I tried to delete one, the system timed out, and kicked me back to the login screen. Gave up after another 45-50 minutes of trying to get in, so an hour of wasted time.

Played this morning for an hour and a half. I love the game, when it's playable...of course, I exited the game to try another character and then the system couldn't create new games. So, here I am again, killing time until the servers are available or able to work.

I don't have a problem with requiring a connection to play. I play MMO's all the time. But, didn't Blizzard learn -anything- from World of Warcraft? Or the open beta, that was virtually unavailable to log into during any hour of the day that normal humans are awake? I'm willing to stick up for the decision to make it online if they can ensure that it will be, but for now... I have to admit that the people who were angry about that have been proven right.

I know it's day 1, but this isn't their first time stepping up to the plate.

10. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 11:06 PropheT

Creston wrote on May 15, 2012, 11:01:
Any news on how this plays on less-than-stellar connections? And does it actually install on Win7-64? (Since the demo wouldn't?)

The open beta took tweaking to install, but the full game didn't. I had the same problem as you did with the OB if I remember right, but the full game was no problem at all.

On the connection...I think the most problems are going to be on their end right now. After more than an hour of trying to get on last night I just gave up and went to bed; if they couldn't handle the load of people logging on in the early hours of the morning I can't imagine it's going to be playable at prime time.

News Comments > 38 Studios in Financial Trouble?
13. Re: 38 Studios in Financial Trouble? May 14, 2012, 23:39 PropheT

Steele Johnson wrote on May 14, 2012, 23:19:
I think the game is a lot of fun.

Me too, I really enjoyed it a lot.

I don't know that I can completely disagree with people's complaints, though. If Amalur did have a flaw, it was that it didn't have any punch behind its personality.

News Comments > Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details
9. Re: Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details May 14, 2012, 22:05 PropheT

MadBoris wrote on May 14, 2012, 21:51:
No, not at all.
It's Blizzard's super saavy marketing strategies, something most gamers minds cannot withstand.

Right, so it's a demo then.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
1. Re: Saturday Metaverse May 12, 2012, 12:04 PropheT

So, the point of the article is that broadband caps are good for people who don't use their service because it allows companies to charge them less than people who make good use of what they pay for?

Except, it doesn't work that way, ever. They charge you the same regardless of how much you use and then limit the amount you can use it. They cut their costs without ever passing any of that down to consumers.

It's probably also worth noting, like he does in the article, that capping usage doesn't actually help the problem that they intended it for.

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
2. Re: Hardware Reviews May 11, 2012, 18:47 PropheT

I just installed my 670 about an hour ago and have been running it through the paces, and it's impressive. I had a 580 in my system before (will be moving to my wife's system now), and it's incredible how much quieter the 670 is (not to mention cooler).

The only issue I've had is that Powerstrip doesn't like it for some reason and likes to crash the display driver, so I've had to skip using that program for now.

It's an incredible card. It's faster, quieter, and takes less power than my 580. Noticeably faster, in everything I've tried.

News Comments > April Retail Game Sales Fall 42%
21. Re: April Retail Game Sales Fall 42% May 11, 2012, 18:07 PropheT

Ozmodan wrote on May 11, 2012, 11:56:
Doh, nothing of note in the way of games was released in April. Sometimes I wonder if the people that report this garbage have one iota of brainpower.

Did you even read the article...or the headline here? They point that out pretty clearly in there, and Blue also added it as part of the news post.

News Comments > Op Ed
59. Re: Op Ed May 8, 2012, 18:23 PropheT

Cutter wrote on May 8, 2012, 15:58:
What bubble? There is no bubble. Clearly the author doesn't understand the concept of crowd-sourcing and why people like it. This isn't an investment strategy.

We'll see about that when one of these developers either fails to produce a decent game as a result of their kickstarter, or worse, fails to produce a game at all. Both are scenarios that are more or less guaranteed to happen eventually.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
6. Re: Morning Mobilization May 7, 2012, 15:17 PropheT

eunichron wrote on May 7, 2012, 13:11:
I've been with Verizon since 2003, in two different states, and honestly I couldn't be happier with them. I've never had a billing issue, service is excellent, every time I've upgraded my phone it's gone without a hitch, and they grandfathered in my unlimited 3G plan when I upgraded to a 4G phone.

Of course I haven't tried any other carrier so I can't compare, but in 9 years I haven't had a reason to change.

Same for me.

When I did get my latest phone they steered my wife away from buying an iPhone, but the reasons they gave make a lot more sense than just if they're steering people toward 4G devices; Verizon doesn't provide warranty service, Apple does, and a number of other issues that prevent Verizon from doing much other than just selling the phone to people and letting everyone else handle supporting it afterward.

News Comments > Diablo III Interview
26. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 12:11 PropheT

Verno wrote on May 7, 2012, 11:48:
So to steer the discussion away from flamebait, what's everyone playing?

Wizard single player I think, and having a LAN party the weekend after release...will probably go with monk for that, a class I didn't expect to like but sort of fell in love with during the beta.

News Comments > Official The Elder Scrolls Online Announcement
12. Re: Official The Elder Scrolls Online Announcement May 3, 2012, 21:51 PropheT

Brumbek wrote on May 3, 2012, 20:48:
TOTAL FAIL. We already have countless cookie cutter MMOs... just total fail. Way to take a great world and dumb it down... I just don't understand the world these days...

I'm not sure you know what cookie cutter or dumbing down mean.

You have no idea what this game will be like. It's a safe bet it won't be cookie cutter, as making it a "WoW clone" or something like that would be completely unlike anything Elder Scrolls. As for dumbing it down...I don't know how putting it into the MMO genre would do that. If anything, it'll have to become more complex to compare favorably with other games in the genre.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops II Announcement
7. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops II Announcement May 2, 2012, 21:20 PropheT

Wow, I'm surprised they're doing a sequel. That's really unlike them.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
18. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 28, 2012, 10:54 PropheT

PHJF wrote on Apr 27, 2012, 16:22:
The problem is any game on a handheld would be a better game on a non handheld.

Have you played one? Because it's pretty much like playing a console on a handheld. The games aren't neutered to fit on the platform like they were on past handheld.

I'm not a big handheld gamer and I bought a Vita when they released, and I've played it more than any of my consoles since I got it. Mostly Persona 3, a PSP game, but I've played the crap out of the thing largely because it doesn't feel like a handheld.

The games are also not only all available on the PSN but they're usually cheaper there, too, which is nice.

2072 Comments. 104 pages. Viewing page 41.
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo