Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Troy C.

Real Name Troy C.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PropheT
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 17, 2000, 22:20
Total Comments 2301 (Senior)
User ID 6273

User comment history
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

News Comments > BioWare: Mass Effect 4/ME4 References "A Disservice"
36. Re: BioWare: Mass Effect 4/ME4 References Feb 7, 2013, 15:58 PropheT

1badmf wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 15:34:
yeah the problem with SWTOR was that they were trying to steal a slice of the WOW pie. IP had nothing to do with it. they repeatedly ignored warnings that the market was WOW saturated and their clone would fall on its face. any customers they stole from WOW would almost by definition not want more WOW.

I don't know why you would think that. They didn't have any problem selling the game at all; there were more than enough people willing to give it a chance. If anything, the problem isn't that they tried to "steal a slice of the WoW pie" (which couldn't they do even if it wasn't like WoW?), but rather that the game isn't very good.

There wasn't a shortage of people who jumped onboard at launch knowing it was going to be like WoW, they just didn't stay because it wasn't good enough to keep them.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Tomb Raider Gold
6. Re: Tomb Raider Gold Feb 7, 2013, 15:53 PropheT

necrosis wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 15:41:
Gold what? Its digital only.

Not on consoles, it isn't.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dragonborn
8. Re: Ships Ahoy - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dragonborn Feb 5, 2013, 23:38 PropheT

Ratty wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 23:01:
Maybe a nudie mod, but I'm not telling.

Some of those mods are necessary to make a good chunk of the cooler armors out there work right. I don't think they're that big of a deal, really.

SPERG is one I'm really enjoying atm, especially after trying some other overhaul mods. Way too many of them seem to have a massive hard on for making combat become a frustrating mix of one-shotted frustration and anger, but SPERG just makes the perks actually fun while mostly maintaining the balance of the vanilla game. Any overpowered-ness it has can be offset with Deadly Combat, another good mod.

The Dance of Death is a great mod, too, one that I like a lot. Customizable to cause more kill moves, if you like that sort of thing (I do).

SkyUI is good enough that they should just pack it with the game now.

The Apocalypse Spell Package is must-have if you play a caster type character.

I haven't had a problem with any of them (or a few that others have mentioned here, either) since loading Dragonborn but I haven't had time to play into the new areas yet. The game did do an optimization of file structure when I first launched it after loading the DLC, though, and it seems to have made things snappier.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 4, 2013, 20:58 PropheT

I don't think it was racist, just stupid and unprofessional. And kind of funny.  

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion
53. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 3, 2013, 19:59 PropheT

Kotaku's fishing for page hits again, I see.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
23. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 1, 2013, 23:41 PropheT

StratX wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 13:00:
Blue -
Couldn't agree more with your assessment of Ray Lewis. I heard he killed the deer for that antler stuff and then buried his orange hunting suit.

I heard that four of his friends have all claimed to have done it, and that Ray doesn't know what a deer even is and was somewhere else at the time.

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Jan 31, 2013, 22:10 PropheT

Cutter wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 21:46:
God forbid anyone excercise some willpower and self-restraint. Extort money from players? Cereal?

I'd agree with you, but once you've already spent $50-$60 for a game it's not hard to get to the point where it might seem like a good idea to spend another $5-$10 to make that original investment worthwhile. It doesn't have to snag all that many players to be effective.

Take Diablo 3 as an example. I never bought anything from the AH, gold or real money, but I'd bet that a pretty good chunk of people (including many who aren't even playing the game anymore) did because it was the only way to keep progressing in the game.

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Jan 31, 2013, 20:58 PropheT

I bought my son one of those horse masks as a joke christmas present.

It's creepy as hell, but everyone was laughing all day whenever he put it on because it's just so ridiculous

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 31, 2013, 20:51 PropheT

So just this weekend you can do on your Xbox what you can already do everywhere else? It's bad enough to hide Netflix behind the paywall of Live, but to incentivize it to sell the service when it's the only place you have to pay twice to use it... kind of messed up.  

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Jan 31, 2013, 20:48 PropheT

But if the practice of including these kinds of microtransactions becomes commonplace, then it won’t be long before publishers clue into the fact that they can build psychological devices into a game to extort money from players

It -is- commonplace. Dead Space 3 is far from the first game to have done this, so I'm a little curious as to why it's even getting the attention it is. I still remember being a bit blown away by the amount of day-1 DLC that Gears of War 3 had, and it wasn't even the first to do it.

News Comments > Zowie Bowie Directing Warcraft
11. Re: Zowie Bowie Directing Warcraft Jan 31, 2013, 12:52 PropheT

Panickd wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 11:09:
They already remade Dune. It was a well received mini-series that even managed to spawn another mini-series based on "Children of Dune". Happened like 12 years ago.

I'm pretty sure I read there was another more recent movie version in the early stages of production as well, although Paramount's rights expired for it before it was made. I doubt it's the last time someone tries, in any event.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 31, 2013, 02:19 PropheT

In the 2nd story that'd be the same Lamar Alexander who, among a few others tied at the same contribution limit, is only behind Saxby Chambliss in top campaign contributions provided by the NRA last cycle. It's nice to know you can sell your talking points to an actual Senator for so cheap these days, isn't it.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 28, 2013, 13:50 PropheT

That commercial has bothered me for as long as it has been around. Since a high amount of what I have to deal with on a day to day basis is end-user level support of systems, scareware apps like that one just make it harder to actually fix the real issues with people's systems...although that particular one is nice in that most people catch on that it's a scam when it tries to hit them up for $40 to fix the "problems" it finds.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 23, 2013, 20:54 PropheT

I bet it's easier in Safari, you don't have to download an app for it...  

News Comments > THQ Sale Results?
41. Re: THQ Sale Results? Jan 23, 2013, 19:47 PropheT

Panickd wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 19:11:
ViRGE wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 18:28:
I can't believe Sega paid 26mil for Relic. That strikes me as obscene.

Really? 26 million is barely enough to fund a single AAA game these days and they got an entire development studio with some proven IP behind them. And it even comes with a game shipping soon in Company of Heroes 2. Sounds to me like they got a crazy good deal.

It comes with the Warhammer 40k license Relic has, and Sega already has the Warhammer Fantasy license. I'm guessing that's what they were looking for in the purchase, anyway.

/edit:
AdamK47 wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 18:04:
I just read on Relicnews.com that Sega only bought the CoH IP. Hope that isn't true. That would mean no more Homeworld, ever.

This is wrong. He posts the bankruptcy filing as being the reasoning behind that, but that only shows CoH because that's what Relic owns; they don't own the 40k license so it's not listed, just the rights to make games under it. That's why everywhere else is listing it as part of the deal.

This comment was edited on Jan 23, 2013, 19:52.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
23. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 23, 2013, 13:11 PropheT

Beamer wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 09:51:
"Loathe" is pretty much right, too.

Thinking back of Microsoft products people don't loathe:
1) Windows, for about 5-10 years
2) DOS. No one loathed it, but no one really liked it
3) Paint!
4) Hotmail, until Gmail
5) Office, but arguably Excel is the only product that, uh, excels (sorry, had to)
6) Windows Phone. Like DOS, no one loathes it, but it isn't exactly widely appreciated. Still, if you're looking for a list of Microsoft brands that aren't loathed, you take what you can get rather than look for successes

To be fair, 1,2, and 5 are are only on the list because there aren't or weren't any real competitors to take their place for the average person and 4 didn't even start as a Microsoft product, they bought out the company. You could also argue that 3 is only there because it's pretty much ignored, the only time anyone uses it is if they don't have anything better on that system.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 22, 2013, 12:34 PropheT

Ahumado wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 11:56:
Heck, He is right.

Which part? That the president should be the one convincing parents to be parents, or that the people who make something that's not for kids are akin to child molesters when children are allowed to use it freely? Both are laughably stupid.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
8. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 21, 2013, 23:31 PropheT

DDI wrote on Jan 21, 2013, 23:00:
Or people are too busy using it to comment but I'll take a moment. The new tile system is far faster to find, launch and organize applications than the old Start Menu.

I have no idea how or why you would claim that unless you worked for Microsoft. It's just plain and simple demonstrably untrue, and there are a number of easy to find articles and videos out there explaining exactly why. You can find people practically everywhere that talk about how confusing or poorly designed it is, from novices to IT professionals. Programs like Start8 or Pokki are way more popular than they should be.

You've said in the past that the Start screen was faster with loads of data backing that up, but didn't show any of it then and you still can't now.

The new tile system looks pretty much like a cluttered desktop when configured. I have no idea how or why that would be considered better than either a) the desktop, which is still there anyway, or b) a layered menu system where you can more easily drill down to exactly what you want. You can't even point at the Search functionality to find the icons, since that was in the old Start menu anyway.

Even someone does like it, I'd challenge the practicality and ease of use in comparison to a long-used and familiar tool that already existed.

News Comments > Rob Pardo on Jay Wilson and Diablo III
33. Re: Rob Pardo on Jay Wilson and Diablo III Jan 20, 2013, 02:02 PropheT

MisterBenn wrote on Jan 19, 2013, 22:18:
I was thinking something very similar. A lot of these design compromises were known up front (online only, real money auction house loot system etc) but millions bought it anyway. You'd also have to conclude that consumers don't listen either.

Online only doesn't mean anything when Diablo 2 could easily have been the same way and it wouldn't have changed the way it played.

Having an AH doesn't automatically mean that its use will be mandatory and progression would require it. It doesn't mean drop rates on the really neat gear would be so low that you'd never see them without a trip to the AH.

Having those things aren't compromises, and I don't really get how you could call them that in the first place. The design decisions associated with them are what was the problem, not those things in and of themselves.If anything, Blizzard has earned the right to be given the benefit of the doubt over the years and the reason the outcry has been so loud is because they weren't someone where those failures would have been expected based on the information provided. You can't just look at a feature sheet and declare, "Yup, crap" like so many people here love to do with practically everything.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
7. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 19, 2013, 01:15 PropheT

Verno wrote on Jan 19, 2013, 00:05:
You're way off base about FF12 though. The game has its flaws but the meta-game stuff isn't one of them, it's strictly there for completionists and is totally optional, you have to go out of your way to find it. It's great because it gives the game a lot of replay value and stuff to do aside from the main story. Sure theres some grind and Strategy Guide type stuff but that's what most players are looking for from an FF game.

FF12 is actually one of the best in the series, in my opinion, if it can be seen through to the end. There's a horrible lull in the middle of the game that I think stopped most people from ever seeing the really great parts of it. The mechanics are complex and definitely on the obtuse side, but I'd take them any day of the week over FF13's Paradigm system...which got inexplicable praise in the critical department.

FF13 is going to be a franchise killer if they keep insisting on putting out more games from that storyline. The story wasn't fantastic to begin with, the characters are only okay, the game takes at least 20+ hours to get to the part where you are required to do any thinking to play it, and so on. Tie that in with the disaster of FF14 and it's only a testament to the earlier games that anyone even cares what they're doing with the series anymore.

The honest truth of it is that the best Final Fantasy game to come out in years wasn't even a Final Fantasy game... it was Lost Odyssey, a game that way too many people overlooked on the 360. It's an awesome game, and beat FF at using its own formula; anybody who likes any of the FF games should check it out. It's not without some annoyances, just like any FF unfortunately, but it's great.

2301 Comments. 116 pages. Viewing page 41.
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo